Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

He's gonna be giving her the vapors if she keeps that up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's creepy?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

hard counter posted:

i think people are reading way too much into the politics of harry potter, at least in so far as the existence of a secret wizarding society is definitely more of a conceit to transplant most of our world into that setting because in real life nobody has supernatural powers so the only way the two ideas could co-exist in a single piece of fiction, even in the mind of a child, is if people w/supernatural powers lived in secrecy with some kind of colossal ruse maintaining the illusion that they don't, it's a simple idea that works well with kids

that's absolutely a choice of setting, stuff like choosing to not to tear down the illusion at the end of the series in a revolutionary act is yet another conceit to let little kids make pretend that there's magic in the real world and that maybe one day they'll get their own letter from hogwarts, while other conceits like upper class wizards bullying low class wizards let little kids ground the fantastic with reflections of things not unlike their own experiences... and so on

i don't even like the books, i stopped at the second one and i don't regard the films as being especially good, but it's fair to say those types of literary conceits help create the immersion and sense of wonder that made the books so freakishly popular with kids in the first place

the problem is aging rear end harry potter fans, instead of eventually moving on to fiction targeted at adults where writers can deal more thoughtfully with all kinds of issues, just keep reading their one book through their now 30 year old eyes

hrary poter is for adults damnit, thats what my caretaker says

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Ultra Carp

Paper Lion posted:

the fact that they go out of their way to make sure we all know that the holocaust happened in harry potter world, and that the only wizard who was interested in preventing it was evil and wanted to do so as a whataboutism excuse to exterminate all humans and not for any moral reason is incredible

:stare:

wow, rowling really really hates the jews, eh

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's creepy?

could you please stop jerkin off in my closet?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

:stare:

wow, rowling really really hates the jews, eh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's really interesting that Dumbledore provided full material and institutional support to the leaders of at least two Nazi coup attempts in their effort to destroy democracy and genocide all humans, and then he was each time magic-Paperclipped back into serving the supposedly liberal status quo regime while all the traces linking him to the magic-Nazis were systematically erased and Dumbledore was installed as the head of a youth paramilitary training and brainwashing camp posing as a "magic school" that would provide the government with elite secret police personnel and other agents with which the magic-state would violently suppress all dissenters and wage psychological warfare on its own population and where the teachers were Dumbledore's fellow ex-Nazi refugees with scrubbed personal records and half the students came from Nazi families evading arrest and openly conspiring to use the training provided by ]Skorzeny Dumbledore through ODESSA Hogwarts as a means to empower magic-Werwolf militias to return them to positions of power, all the while the liberal government looks on passively because it's more afraid of magic-progressives than of the magic-Nazis and considers the empowering of Nazis o be an asset for their own magic-GLADIO plans.

:thunk:

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

hard counter posted:

i think people are reading way too much into the politics of harry potter,

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

au contraire

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Ron Paul looking pretty spry

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

After the Harry potter books ended JK Rowling said that Dumbledore had been gay, he had been gay with one character who had been mentioned in passing, she had always intended for him to be gay, it just never came up. And then she does the Fantastic Beasts movies, which feature the character Dumbledore had been gay with, and then Dumbledore was cast for the second one so everybody was like "they're finally going to have Dumbledore be gay in the text instead of just by word of god" and the movie comes out and it explains that Dumbledore and that guy were more than just best friends, they were magical best friends.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gripweed posted:

After the Harry potter books ended JK Rowling said that Dumbledore had been gay, he had been gay with one character who had been mentioned in passing, she had always intended for him to be gay, it just never came up. And then she does the Fantastic Beasts movies, which feature the character Dumbledore had been gay with, and then Dumbledore was cast for the second one so everybody was like "they're finally going to have Dumbledore be gay in the text instead of just by word of god" and the movie comes out and it explains that Dumbledore and that guy were more than just best friends, they were magical best friends.

She clarified on twitter that they had hot steamy gay sex off-screen all the time, and Dumbledore was on top.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
So, was that her attempt on clinging to relevancy through the most "Hello there, fellow children" meme-esque way?

I still cannot wrap my head around how you can NOT mention Dumbledore being gay through thousands of pages if that was a thing since the beginning? You know, you don't have to "headcanon" your own books.

Well, that retcon brought us Jude Law in extremely (:heysexy:) tight fitting 20s suit and possible Mads "goth eye makeup creepy videogame Mads" Mikkelsen sex.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Thank you for your service, a true :patriot:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Harry Potter is a children's book and those who care about it at all into adulthood, either because they still think it's the best book ever and don't have the mental capacity to read anything else, or because they're politics addicted freaks, are pure AIDS and not the wholesome, Rich Evans kind of AIDS

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Mordja posted:

Harry Potter is a children's book and those who care about it at all into adulthood, either because they still think it's the best book ever and don't have the mental capacity to read anything else, or because they're politics addicted freaks, are pure AIDS and not the wholesome, Rich Evans kind of AIDS

this but the star wars movies

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I'm going to have a Full Metal Jacket and Jarhead combo watchathon and no one can stop me :colbert:

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Galewolf posted:

I'm going to have a Full Metal Jacket and Jarhead combo watchathon and no one can stop me :colbert:

i hope you arent watching the 2nd half of FMJ. You watch the first part and turn it off like the rest of us!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

luchajones posted:

i hope you arent watching the 2nd half of FMJ. You watch the first part and turn it off like the rest of us!

Truth

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I don't think anything is wrong with the second part, it's a bit long but is it even a Kubrick movie if it doesn't drag on forever?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Galewolf posted:

why would you watch Jarhead?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FMJ is one of Kubrick’s worst IMO!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Jarhead is the weirdest franchise, going from this whiney, pseudointellectual take on the pointlessness of the Gulf War ("we went through all this so the boomers could finally have their victory parade", super deep insight there, bud) into a bunch of all-OORAH, super-pro-military (and super-cheap) action movies. Like, compare the trailer for Jarhead and Jarhead 4...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aBP-c28_1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC_Pk_Sx0WI

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Gripweed posted:

why would you watch Jarhead?

I like it, it's a good movie (or, rather, I like it for some reason) and Jamie Foxx was good in it.

I had no idea there were more Jarhead moopies, like, what?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I like that their selling points are:
1) An all-new movie
2) Filmed on location in Israel

That's really enticing!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Second half of Full Metal Jacket is great you troglodytes.

colonelwest posted:

I just watched Midnight Sky, the Clooney directed by and staring sci-fi/post-apocalypse Netflix movie. It's basically the most dumb, boring and bland way you could possible execute an interesting story concept. It's like an old TV movie of the week with better special effects. All of the characterization is by the numbers and perfunctory, and every plot point and twist can be seen coming from a mile away. Clooney doesn't seem to have any grasp of the mechanics of the story or basic sci-fi concepts.

So like you're in charge of future NASA and you know the Earth is dying (for what reason the movie never says) but you have a few weeks notice, and you discovered a new habitable moon orbiting Jupiter (almost impossible btw). A manned spaceship has already explored it and is on its way back to earth, but it has enough fuel to turn around and go back to the moon. You also have a first colony ship built and ready to launch.

Do you...

A. Blast out a warning on every available transmitter for the exploration ship to turn around, and then launch the colony ship immediately?

B. Cancel the colony ship launch and do nothing?

Well NASA in this movie choses option B.

Fortunately one terminally ill scientist decides to stay in a remote artic space observatory instead of evacuating with everyone else, and he's the only person on Earth who thinks to send a message to the returning exploration ship. But he doesn't even realize its out there until he sees it in a random Google search, even though he's one of the main people who planed the mission.

And this is just the beginning of the film's problems...

I watched that on Christmas with my parents and it's one oft he dumber movies I've seen. The twist is hilariously bad and I called it pretty early.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 19, 2021

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Galewolf posted:

So, was that her attempt on clinging to relevancy through the most "Hello there, fellow children" meme-esque way?

I still cannot wrap my head around how you can NOT mention Dumbledore being gay through thousands of pages if that was a thing since the beginning? You know, you don't have to "headcanon" your own books.

Well, that retcon brought us Jude Law in extremely (:heysexy:) tight fitting 20s suit and possible Mads "goth eye makeup creepy videogame Mads" Mikkelsen sex.

Nah, her peak attempts at maintaining relevance were>
1] There actually were Jewish kids at Hogwarts, you just never saw one, and also they all were proud Zionists
2] Hogwarts is full of Aisan characters, such as this one called something like Ching Chang
3] Wizards openly piss and poo poo in their pants in public all the time because they hate toilets

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I seriously cannot tell if those are real or not, given how eye twitchy Rowling became.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Did the Wizards even have televisions?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As far as I know all of them are real.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

As far as I know all of them are real.

:psyduck:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Nah, her peak attempts at maintaining relevance were>
1] There actually were Jewish kids at Hogwarts, you just never saw one, and also they all were proud Zionists
2] Hogwarts is full of Aisan characters, such as this one called something like Ching Chang
3] Wizards openly piss and poo poo in their pants in public all the time because they hate toilets

Why did she feel the need to mention the third one? I remember there beign a troll or something in the bathrooms in the first or second book or movie. We all but see the toilet.

Anyway, you guys on the Patreon, have they said anything about when to expect the DnD commentary track? I need to find somewhere to get hold of that movie for when it comes out. Don't know if I can get it via the usual channels or not.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galewolf posted:

I seriously cannot tell if those are real or not, given how eye twitchy Rowling became.

Oh they are all real. Especially #3. Toilets and plumbing are Muggle tech. Wizards would just vanish the piss and poo poo away.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

clearly rowling forgot her own work because moaning myrtle lives in a toilet in Hogwarts :rolleyes:

i hope someone got fired for that blunder

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my understanding is that wizards adopted toilets and plumbing after they realized what an unsightly look it was to wave a wand at your own poo poo and piss on the floor in the middle of a conversation

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

This is a video game cover, right?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Jarhead: Jar Harder.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

J4RHEAD, the newest entry in the Jarhead Cinematic Universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011