Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Special just wildly varies in quality for me. RS is still my favourite arc, but I loved DP and XY too (XY especially is worth a read, taking the absolute barebones game that was XY and making a very heavy impact story out of it, with an ending that's weirdly bittersweet for this series and a Team Flare that's significantly more threatening). But BW was average, B2W2 was a complete mess, every remake arc fails to go above okay, and SM was doing nothing for me. And then I just dropped the whole thing because it was impossible to follow thanks to B2W2.

Maybe I'll get back on it eventually but I wonder if it ever got to the good arc's level of quality again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

TheKingofSprings posted:

She doesn't get blasted into dust, just by all appearances rendered at least paraplegic, the next time she shows up is in a wheelchair.

Zinnia was, in general, not particularly well liked.

Well drat... That's brutal

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
There's also the bit where the Team Magma and Aqua admins show up on their new redesigns. Like 20 characters come back with new designs (mostly gym leaders and others who get ORAS redesigns) but then...

I can't handle Matt. I thought maybe it's one of those things that localization accidentally made hilarious, but nah, Matt in japan is just Ushio, a super normal name.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

That's kind of fantastic. :allears:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The FRLG arc is probably the best of the remake arcs, and even then it never really goes above 'okay'. Green also lost a lot of her spice that made her a fun antihero in the RBYGSC arcs, too.

I think the Yellow arc impressed me the most because it was the first time they really made an OC protagonist from scratch and it still worked out solidly. The antagonists are also pretty great and there are some fun fights.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

There was definitely a point at which "the characters' names are the version names" became a little bit awkward and it was sometime between when the characters started having canonical names in the games (Ruby/Sapphire) and when the version names became completely unsuitable for use as people names (Black 2/White 2). The way they did it for sword/shield is... okay, I guess. Certainly an improvement.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Golux posted:

There was definitely a point at which "the characters' names are the version names" became a little bit awkward and it was sometime between when the characters started having canonical names in the games (Ruby/Sapphire) and when the version names became completely unsuitable for use as people names (Black 2/White 2). The way they did it for sword/shield is... okay, I guess. Certainly an improvement.

What did they name the Sword/Shield protagonists? Also did they seriously name a set of characters “Black 2” and “White 2”?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

What did they name the Sword/Shield protagonists? Also did they seriously name a set of characters “Black 2” and “White 2”?

Pointy and Blunty.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Pointy and Blunty.

That’s odd but ok. Also in terms of their “actual” names, if the girl is named Gloria what’s the male character’s official name?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'd wager that this is the point where the names stopped working

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Larryb posted:

Yeah they got shortened to Lacktwo and Whitwo. Black and White are plausible compared to that.

Sword is Tsurugi Soodo and Shield is Schildemilia Tate, which are plausible names for meaning "Sword Sword" and "Shield Shield."

Larryb posted:

That’s odd but ok. Also in terms of their “actual” names, if the girl is named Gloria what’s the male character’s official name?

Victor.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MorningMoon posted:

They should've just named him Brak.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MorningMoon posted:

Same energy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BASWkiLGYo0

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

i knew what this was but i forgot how powerful that delivery is

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, the poo poo that turned me off of Adventures/Special is the vocal group of people who were constantly comparing it to the anime.

Say what you will about the Pokemon anime, but nothing turns you off to something more than it being used to bring down something you like.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Oh wow how have I never clicked that link before.

That may well be the most powerful anime clip I have ever seen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The sheer willpower it must have taken to get that script and deliver that line without breaking the tone.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

So not to distract too much from the current topic at hand but have there been any leaks or information of interest or are we going to be in a dry spell till February?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Flopsy posted:

So not to distract too much from the current topic at hand but have there been any leaks or information of interest or are we going to be in a dry spell till February?

sounds like we're on a dry spell for a few weeks at least. And, frankly, I wouldn't put it out of the table that they don't reveal Sinnoh remakes until May.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

sounds like we're on a dry spell for a few weeks at least. And, frankly, I wouldn't put it out of the table that they don't reveal Sinnoh remakes until May.

Would it be too much of a derail to discuss what the remakes may entail? Like in ORAS Deoxys becomes part of the plot and was easy to catch. Perhaps the same will be done for darkrai etc.?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How long is the gap between major Gen releases (IE: the next installment after Sword/Shield) usually? Or does it vary?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

How long is the gap between major Gen releases (IE: the next installment after Sword/Shield) usually? Or does it vary?

One year? But who knows in Covid land.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

Would it be too much of a derail to discuss what the remakes may entail? Like in ORAS Deoxys becomes part of the plot and was easy to catch. Perhaps the same will be done for darkrai etc.?

Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus all being catchable ingame with story attached would be amazing.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Larryb posted:

usually 3-4 years.

gen 1 was 96
gen 2 was 99
gen 3 was the longest gap in at 03
gen 4 06 and gen 5 '10, and its been every 3 years since that one.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Violet_Sky posted:

One year? But who knows in Covid land.

Gen 9 will have a Poison/Flying line whose design alludes to Covid-19

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus all being catchable ingame with story attached would be amazing.

Yeah! I've been thinking about all the unrealized content in Diamond/Pearl and how glorious it would be have a storyline about the Crescent and Dark side of the moon legendaries. Or maybe Cyrus forgoes Palkia and Dialga and goes for the big cheese itself.

OOH! Make the forest mansion a level unto itself! YES!!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Hammerite posted:

SMT has has a demon based on chemtrails, so Pokemon needs to step-up. :colbert:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lunar Wing sidequest should let you catch both Darkrai and Cresselia

Roaming Birds sidequest should also give you Oak's Letter for Shaymin given he's visiting Sinnoh

Old Chateau sidequest should give you access to Rotom and all its forms without the need for the Secret Key item

Azure Flute addition could be tied into the main story - Cyrus meddling with time and space also awakens Giratina, and the Lake Guardians can't do anything against all three of them, so you play the flute for a deus ex machina, and then catch Arceus in the post-game

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ever since Pokemon has been doing global releases, their reveal patterns have been pretty consistent. So assuming this year is a Gen 4 remake, I'd look at ORAS, USUM and LGPE which were revealed on May 7th, June 6th and May 29th respectably. But it could also just be in a February Pokemon Direct since they wanna keep the ball rolling for the 25th anniversary.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

Lunar Wing sidequest should let you catch both Darkrai and Cresselia

Roaming Birds sidequest should also give you Oak's Letter for Shaymin given he's visiting Sinnoh

Old Chateau sidequest should give you access to Rotom and all its forms without the need for the Secret Key item

Azure Flute addition could be tied into the main story - Cyrus meddling with time and space also awakens Giratina, and the Lake Guardians can't do anything against all three of them, so you play the flute for a deus ex machina, and then catch Arceus in the post-game

I always loved the music and the designs of the lunar islands. If we're going by SW&SH design seeing them fleshed out would be really cool. Also Arceus and it's theme have alway been terrifying. Putting a full orchestral track behind that bad boy as it descends would be really hard to top in future releases for sheer pants making GBS threads awe.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Wouldn't surprise me if they wait until after New Snap comes out so as to not distract from it. That would track with a May announcement.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Flopsy posted:

I always loved the music and the designs of the lunar islands. If we're going by SW&SH design seeing them fleshed out would be really cool. Also Arceus and it's theme have alway been terrifying. Putting a full orchestral track behind that bad boy as it descends would be really hard to top in future releases for sheer pants making GBS threads awe.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Now imagine the birth of cosmic egg with today's graphics. One thing I'll always love about pokemon is how unashamedly lovecraftian they get sometimes,

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Based on prior history they’ll probably give Arceus a new form to make it the most powerful thing in the games, too.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

I don't know what this is, but it offends my sensibilities that the creator didn't match the symmetry of the elements introduced in the second frame to the symmetry of the elements introduced in all the other frames.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Based on prior history they’ll probably give Arceus a new form to make it the most powerful thing in the games, too.

Now this is just me, but if they want to go full holy poo poo quotient they give it a humanoid form. As in human shaped but with the same coloration, eyes, golden rings etc. Just to drive home this is our progenitor as well and by capturing it you're literally capturing your own God. I get a kick out the idea that another obscenely powerful olympus mon looks closer to a regular human being than all the other glorious God beasts combined. Also kind of plays with the whole "what exactly are we taming here?" And if we're going by established canon why would God choose to let itself be captured?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Making pokegod humanlike would be real lame.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Hammerite posted:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

SyntheticPolygon posted: