Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tapet posted:

Oh, and I am glad people can enjoy the animation. Good for you, I am genuinly envious. For me, It was terrible. Using CGI for human characters this way takes me right out of it. More power to you if you can enjoy it anyway, I pray silently that next episode is more like the earlier this seasons which looked fine to me.

ninjewtsu posted:

I really wish the direction was a bit stronger. A lot of these scenes could have been really powerful and instead they're just pretty neat
It's everything I feared when I heard they were switching studios and the original series director was out. Previous episodes weren't big on the flashy action sequences so I was holding out hope but ah well. Luckily, everything else is strong enough that I'm still enjoying this show but woof, those stiff-rear end CG people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This is one of those times I'm glad I don't have a single ounce of visual artistic sense because I loved the episode. I was hyped the whole time, and I didn't even notice all the CGI bullshit people are complaining about.

Sucks to be you guys. :smug:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

AlternateNu posted:

This is one of those times I'm glad I don't have a single ounce of visual artistic sense because I loved the episode. I was hyped the whole time, and I didn't even notice all the CGI bullshit people are complaining about.

Sucks to be you guys. :smug:

Yeah, same.

I'm also completely unable to tell the difference between low and high frames per second, even when they're shown side by side.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Mordja posted:

It's everything I feared when I heard they were switching studios and the original series director was out. Previous episodes weren't big on the flashy action sequences so I was holding out hope but ah well. Luckily, everything else is strong enough that I'm still enjoying this show but woof, those stiff-rear end CG people.

If you don't like the CGI that's cool, it was a bit of a jarring change for me as well because typically I don't like CGI but it's anything but stiff.

The movements flow really well and the way they blend the 2D animation with it is superb.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I thought the cgi was fine. There was a couple shots of titan eren that didnt look great but it was mostly good

But also if I notice that something is cgi I dont consider that an instant mark against it until it actually looks bad

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The CG is fine when it's still and really good when it's moving fast. In between it can look kinda wonky, but nothing dealbreaking.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
All CGI is bad but I give it a pass so long as it isn't as bad as Season 2 and 3.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Animation looked fine imo, and I wasn't bothered at all by any CG woes. The only thing I found myself a little critical of was how all the Paradis characters looked, which yeah, I know they're older now, but I wasn't fond of how their aged depictions were illustrated. The spec ops armor is cool, but there's just something off about all their faces.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The only one I didn't like was jean, I couldn't tell it was him until the show told me

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I don't actually have a problem with CGI but when it's put next to traditional animation it's usually pretty jarring and immersion breaking. It's fine if it's just a few seconds or it's barely noticeable but having two different animation styles on screen at the same time really highlights the differences between them and sucks you out of a scene. You can immediately tell the difference between how something moves when drawn and when its cg.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ninjewtsu posted:

The only one I didn't like was jean, I couldn't tell it was him until the show told me

I could tell Connie by his hair, but yeah, I was completely faceblind on Jean too lol. I was also like "Is that Sasha? Probably." That's bad visual design I guess.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I haven't read the manga, but isn't it a meme joke from the manga that Jean is so unremarkable and the early art was so bad, that everyone mistook random characters as Jean?

In which case, the animation is staying true to the source.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That's hilarious if true.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'd have to agree they leaned too much into the cgi this time. I tried to ignore it the first time because it's a pivotal moment, but I watched it a couple more times and it's more noticeable and worse than episode 60.

poo poo on the early cgi if you want, but that was limited to colossal titan and reiss titan. Now all the titans are getting the cgi treatment and it's creating more opportunity for bad cgi.

I also didn't like that team paradis weren't all immediately recognizable, but that's probably the original artist's fault.

Wondering what conney and sasha were up to with the lights. Maybe they have a zeppelin of their own? Maybe they're about to drop the bomb.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

I love it when Eren just charges over to the soldiers and starts pummeling them like he's in a Popeye cartoon. gently caress you, soldiers

I like how it cuts to Calvi. He wanted a flying titan, and the last thing he sees is a titan "flying" straight at him.

Not to mention Warhammer titan is incredibly versatile and allows you to be incredibly creative. Made the titular warhammer, ground spikes, something as complicated as a crossbow.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 19, 2021

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

teagone posted:

I could tell Connie by his hair, but yeah, I was completely faceblind on Jean too lol. I was also like "Is that Sasha? Probably." That's bad visual design I guess.

On the one hand they've seen a LOT of poo poo and in some ways should be unrecognizable, otoh I should be able to pick them out of a crowd after 3 seasons.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I like how it cuts to Calvi. He wanted a flying titan, and the last thing he sees is a titan "flying" straight at him.

Not to mention Warhammer titan is incredibly versatile and allows you to be incredibly creative. Made the titular warhammer, ground spikes, something as complicated as a crossbow.

The crossbow really bugged me, how the hell do you make a functioning crossbow out of titan hardening? Or... even... flesh and hardening crystal or whatever. How!!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
That was cool. I hope she make a machine gun.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can make a bow out of wood and sinew. Idk doesn't seem like that big a stretch

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Let's just give them this, and say that the Warhammer titan can manipulate its titanmatter to make a mixture of rigid and flexible materials to make useful weapons and tools. This is fiction. The real issue is the Warhammer titan should be by all accounts unparalleled in its position. After all, humans dominated all other species even as early as back in the mesolithic because we can use tools. Giant humans can overpower regular humans by dint of pure size. But a giant human wielding giant tools? Well, that's basically unstoppable.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Phobophilia posted:

Let's just give them this, and say that the Warhammer titan can manipulate its titanmatter to make a mixture of rigid and flexible materials to make useful weapons and tools. This is fiction. The real issue is the Warhammer titan should be by all accounts unparalleled in its position. After all, humans dominated all other species even as early as back in the mesolithic because we can use tools. Giant humans can overpower regular humans by dint of pure size. But a giant human wielding giant tools? Well, that's basically unstoppable.

I suppose just like we've seen before with other titans there seems to be a limited energy reserve, and just like crystallization took a lot of energy the warhammer might only have stamina to create a handful of tools.

Actually where the energy that titans use to transform comes from i think is a big mystery in AoT. Is in inherent in them? Does it have anything to do with the Eldian connection with Ymir, maybe not a connection to just memory, but also to energy?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Titans are light/solar-powered to a point. "Wild" titans become sluggish and inactive when in darkness, and Annie's reaction to the tunnel trap way back at the start showed that shifters are also at least partially vulnerable when cut off.

Add in specific things like size or ability complexity, and you can see repeated transforming wear the person down, even in daylight.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 19, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Phobophilia posted:

i mean the Warhammer Titan was apparently OP enough to beat the Founding Titan, the literal "i control other Titans" trump card of the entire setup, it had to be able to do something wild enough for that to be plausible

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The difference between Wit and Mappa's take on the manga designs really comes through with Mikasa. She looks much closer to her manga counterpart now, without the long lashes and permanent lip gloss that Wit gave her. I've got to wonder if she would have been so popular a character among fanboys if she had always been drawn that way.

Annie too looks a lot different in flashbacks, the shape design for her nose changed a lot.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So since the warhammer titan lady was encased in crystal, and Eren was about to eat her, does that mean Eren could eat Annie while she's crystalized? Has he already?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume they have eaten Annie by now but I'd expect Paradis to want to put her in a different person rather than going all-in on Eren.

Ccs posted:

The difference between Wit and Mappa's take on the manga designs really comes through with Mikasa. She looks much closer to her manga counterpart now, without the long lashes and permanent lip gloss that Wit gave her. I've got to wonder if she would have been so popular a character among fanboys if she had always been drawn that way.
That's interesting, I saw it as an evolution of her look (along with the shorter hair) rather than an artstyle shift. I quite like it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I assume they have eaten Annie by now but I'd expect Paradis to want to put her in a different person rather than going all-in on Eren.

It's Sasha's time to shine! :getin:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I quite like that Levi is the only one wearing the original style 3DMG, and still has his scout cloak on. Everyone else has gone straight over to the interior police style.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I have a questions which might also be a theory which might also be dumb.

So memories, to me it looks like the shifters can only see the memories of their titans. Eren only sees his father's and Eren Kruger's memories. Kruger also sees Eren and Dr Yeager's memories. Makes sense.

So when Willy says they've recently seen memories that show the truth about the past and the king and what happened in Paradis, well the warhammer titan wasn't there in Paradis (unless that's revealed later). And I don't think Reiner/Berdholt/Zeke found out about the king's vow and bluff. So the only way they could know these memories is from... the future? If someone who was there and knew about that... takes over the warhammer titan? Right?

Guys?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

So since the warhammer titan lady was encased in crystal, and Eren was about to eat her, does that mean Eren could eat Annie while she's crystalized? Has he already?

I don't see the point of Eren eating Annie. They're basically identical powerwise (selective hardening) so eating her would be a waste. Unless someone else ate her secretly...

Also sucks to be Ymir. Leaves Historia her love behind to "atone" and ends up making everything much worse for her down the line when Ymir could have lived happily ever after and fought for her with the jaw titan's powers. The absolute dummy.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Alan_Shore posted:

I have a questions which might also be a theory which might also be dumb.

So memories, to me it looks like the shifters can only see the memories of their titans. Eren only sees his father's and Eren Kruger's memories. Kruger also sees Eren and Dr Yeager's memories. Makes sense.

So when Willy says they've recently seen memories that show the truth about the past and the king and what happened in Paradis, well the warhammer titan wasn't there in Paradis (unless that's revealed later). And I don't think Reiner/Berdholt/Zeke found out about the king's vow and bluff. So the only way they could know these memories is from... the future? If someone who was there and knew about that... takes over the warhammer titan? Right?

Guys?

I had the feeling that Wylie was full of poo poo when he said that was "recent". I'm guessing, like the Reiss family knowing about the Kings Vow, the Tyburs have known the truth for generations. Wylie is just the first to do anything about it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I forget, is there a reason eren didnt get his dad's memories like all the other shifters get the memories of the previous shifter? Was it a trauma lock where he did get the memories but was suppressing them, or was something else going on too?

Also is willie still in the stomach of the first titan body that eren got out of? Did we see him actually get chomped, or is it possible he's chilling in the attack titan's stomach like what happened to eren when he got eaten by a titan? Have we really seen what happens when a shifter eats a person and then deshifts?

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 19, 2021

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Schubalts posted:

Titans are light/solar-powered to a point. "Wild" titans become sluggish and inactive when in darkness, and Annie's reaction to the tunnel trap way back at the start showed that shifters are also at least partially vulnerable when cut off.

Reason was she wouldn't be able to transform while inside the tunnel.

serious gaylord posted:

I quite like that Levi is the only one wearing the original style 3DMG, and still has his scout cloak on. Everyone else has gone straight over to the interior police style.

Mikasa too. They seem to be on dedicated anti-titan duty; Mikasa has been focused on the Warhammer the entire time, while Levi held in reserve until the Jaw showed up.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I had the feeling that Wylie was full of poo poo when he said that was "recent". I'm guessing, like the Reiss family knowing about the Kings Vow, the Tyburs have known the truth for generations. Wylie is just the first to do anything about it.

What he said was that he'd for the first time reveal the truth.

ninjewtsu posted:

I forget, is there a reason eren didnt get his dad's memories like all the other shifters get the memories of the previous shifter? Was it a trauma lock where he did get the memories but was suppressing them, or was something else going on too?

Also is willie still in the stomach of the first titan body that eren got out of? Did we see him actually get chomped, or is it possible he's chilling in the attack titan's stomach like what happened to eren when he got eaten by a titan? Have we really seen what happens when a shifter eats a person and then deshifts?

Paths fuckery seems to have a mind of its own.

And Willy's mangled corpse should be there.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 19, 2021

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Rohan Kishibe posted:

It makes sense the Reiss family know, because it was their family that started the vow and passed down the memories. I assume the Tybers are immune from the mindwiping. The only way it makes sense is if the King told them "hey I'm gonna say that I'll kill everyone but I won't really just want a bit of peace innit bruv" to them just before he left. And now with Reiner's report they know the vow is gone and they've got a whole island of pissed off potential titans.

So by sending in the task force Marley really hosed everything up as none of this would have happened. Or would it? Maybe Eren would have worked with his dad to take down the king. Would have been very interesting. But Marley were going to invade no matter what.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Remember he said he'd show Eren what was in the basement before leaving?

Grisha was on his last year, and had been doing the legwork to discover the Reiss where the true royals and even find their secret succession cavern; it doesn't look like he abandoned his mission.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Was willy actually mangled? What're the chances he's still alive inside of eren's discarded titan body?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Considering the giant spike that the warhammer titan put through the attack titans stomach at the first of the fight, I'd say the chances are pretty low.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

Was willy actually mangled? What're the chances he's still alive inside of eren's discarded titan body?

Every one of his limbs is bending the wrong direction, his guts are spilling out of his torso, his head is loosely twisting almost all the way to behind him as copious blood spills out of his mouth.

I know Armin survived having his skin seared off and a 40 meter fall, but Willy is most definitely not doing okay.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Aw sick I gotta rewatch the episode then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Also sucks to be Ymir. Leaves Historia her love behind to "atone" and ends up making everything much worse for her down the line when Ymir could have lived happily ever after and fought for her with the jaw titan's powers. The absolute dummy.

This season has imo finally clarified why Ymir went with them and ironically in hindsight makes her one of the most selfless characters in the show. If Reiner and Bert had returned in defeat having lost the Female and Jaw Titans and compromising the secrets of the outside world they almost certainly would have been replaced (eaten), possibly their entire families may have been purged and there may even have been other repercussions for the Eldian's.

Sure in hindsight it still would have been better for her to have stayed but it's also now possible to see why she made that decision and why she never considered Paradis had a chance of winning in the end.

Alan_Shore posted:

So memories, to me it looks like the shifters can only see the memories of their titans. Eren only sees his father's and Eren Kruger's memories.

He's also had brief flashes of Frieda's, which may end up being fairly important at some point.