Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Doodles posted:

They only have Skippy west of the Mississippi. :argh:

I'm in Oregon, and the only time they've ever had Skippy was roughly a year ago when people were panic buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My kids prefer the Kirkland peanut butter you have to stir up each time to Jif, which is great because my wife prefers it too.

Also, my wife and I lived in Taiwan for nearly a decade, so the A-Sha noodles were not a surprise for us. She did them up dry with some sauce, egg, green onions and whatever else, and they're great. Starchy, but they're supposed to be. They're not a soup ramen.

I just wish she'd stop requiring our kids (6 and 3) to drink the Costco organic milk, the three cartons per case for $11ish for 1.5 gallons of milk. It lasts for a month, so I pick up four or five of them each time I go, and those are basically the countdown until the next Costco trip. It's just... a lot for milk. She credits the kids being smart to feeding them good food though, so I'm not going to try and dissuade her (yet). Maybe it's really working, who knows! It has DHA and whatever else added into it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ravendas posted:

My kids prefer the Kirkland peanut butter you have to stir up each time to Jif, which is great because my wife prefers it too.

Also, my wife and I lived in Taiwan for nearly a decade, so the A-Sha noodles were not a surprise for us. She did them up dry with some sauce, egg, green onions and whatever else, and they're great. Starchy, but they're supposed to be. They're not a soup ramen.

I just wish she'd stop requiring our kids (6 and 3) to drink the Costco organic milk, the three cartons per case for $11ish for 1.5 gallons of milk. It lasts for a month, so I pick up four or five of them each time I go, and those are basically the countdown until the next Costco trip. It's just... a lot for milk. She credits the kids being smart to feeding them good food though, so I'm not going to try and dissuade her (yet). Maybe it's really working, who knows! It has DHA and whatever else added into it.

I do molecular biology, the “health benefit” of organic milk vs regular Kirkland (or in my case, Lactaid) is horseshit. There might be a benefit to the cows, depends on the farm, but your kids would probably do just as well with the same volume intake of 60% less expensive milk and the money saved spent on extra books or video games or music lessons or sports equipment or art supplies or POGs or whatever. Buy them some LEGO, all smart kids need more LEGO.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Buy milk from pastured cows! Feedlots are horrible!

Seriously, buy animal products that come from animals kept to high welfare standards if you must buy animal products.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

I do molecular biology, the “health benefit” of organic milk vs regular Kirkland (or in my case, Lactaid) is horseshit. There might be a benefit to the cows, depends on the farm, but your kids would probably do just as well with the same volume intake of 60% less expensive milk and the money saved spent on extra books or video games or music lessons or sports equipment or art supplies or POGs or whatever. Buy them some LEGO, all smart kids need more LEGO.

My kids inherited my ridiculous amount of Lego from when I was a kid, plus a bunch more :)

This milk though has stuff added to it. Something like fish oil for DHA or whatever, which helps kids brains (supposedly).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Joburg posted:

Buy milk from pastured cows! Feedlots are horrible!

Seriously, buy animal products that come from animals kept to high welfare standards if you must buy animal products.

Absolutely, yes. Do this. But please do not confuse “organic” with “high welfare standards” or either with “unspoken health benefits beyond measurable improvements in quality or richness, that may or may not exist” (ie, high quality of life for an animal being reflected in the final quality of an animal product is definitely a thing, but there’s a woo-woo “organic means it’s way better” consumer culture that does nothing to address real animal welfare, environmental, or public health/nutrition issues)

Same with GMOs

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also just feed kids a lot of fish. My mom used to make me take fish oil pills before elementary school (I guess she thought it would be more physically tolerable in the morning and give me a brain boost) and they would give me the worst fishy burps and indigestion riding the bus.
loving loathed those cod oil pills, and they depleted the fisheries too!

So I guess give your kids the fancy fish milk, if the alternative is cod liver oil pills. Or just get your kids good fish and seafood and eat it often. 3 is a great age to get a kid into sushi if they’re ok with food allergies otherwise.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also just feed kids a lot of fish. My mom used to make me take fish oil pills before elementary school (I guess she thought it would be more physically tolerable in the morning and give me a brain boost) and they would give me the worst fishy burps and indigestion riding the bus.

So I guess give your kids the fancy fish milk, if the alternative is cod liver oil pills. Or just get your kids good fish and seafood and eat it often. 3 is a great age to get a kid into sushi if they’re ok with food allergies otherwise.

They get good fish, well, tilapia, salmon and shrimp from Costco. They also eat the seaweed sheets and make their own 'sushi' at dinner by putting rice and fish and stuff in it. It's cute.

Wife still demands the good milk though. $_$

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ravendas posted:

Wife still demands the good milk though. $_$

tell her to make it

(pls do not do that)

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

Kid is allergic to most fish and shellfish, so that's out.

We got some good years out of the fancy, handcrafted oyster knives I bought my wife, not so much recently.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Buy your kids fish themed lego sets

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I get Natural Jif. It's peanuts, salt, and I think palm oil to stabilize it I'm guessing. I'm too lazy to stir all natural stuff :haw:

Ok Comboomer posted:

Absolutely, yes. Do this. But please do not confuse “organic” with “high welfare standards” or either with “unspoken health benefits beyond measurable improvements in quality or richness, that may or may not exist” (ie, high quality of life for an animal being reflected in the final quality of an animal product is definitely a thing, but there’s a woo-woo “organic means it’s way better” consumer culture that does nothing to address real animal welfare, environmental, or public health/nutrition issues)

Same with GMOs

As far as I remember organic isn't even fully regulated so it can mean a number of things. In my opinion it's a scam.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I'm 100% done with peanut butter you have to stir. I don't care if it tastes better or cures cancer or whatever. Drives me crazy.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
protip: leave peanut butter that you have to stir upside down for a while (couple weeks ideally) before you open it, and once stirred leave upside down in the fridge.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Barry posted:

I'm 100% done with peanut butter you have to stir. I don't care if it tastes better or cures cancer or whatever. Drives me crazy.

it’s also just not as good :colbert:

I do like that Trader Joe’s calls theirs peanut butter and peanut butter spread (or something like that), respectively.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What woo woo holistic food is worth it? What foods make your kids superheroes compared to the ones eating Oreos?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

How hard is it to stir a jar of peanut butter? It taste WAY better, and takes like 2 minutes the first time you open a jar.

Unless you're eating a jar a day I fail to see how that becomes a time sink for someone. And if you do eat a jar a day you probably only poo poo like once a week so you should have plenty of time to stir your pb.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
It's not a time sink but have you ever stirred it wrong and slopped oily goo all over the bottle and the countertop? Cause now it's a pain in the rear end and your pantry smells of peanuts for a day. And now the jar is slippery and gross which makes your hands all gross and ugh. It's effort. Peanut butter shouldn't require effort.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Almond butter has the same problem. And then you get down to the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the jar and you've used up all the oil so all that's left is a mass of hard flaky chunks that you can't spread. Peanut butter you have to stir can go to hell.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
everyone's been in quarantine so long, you're all going stir crazy

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
lol if you don't buy 30 gallons of raw milk and separate it out into curds, cream, whey, etc. every fortnight. It takes what, five minutes to churn that poo poo into butter?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just buy the regular peanut butter where I don’t have to do that

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just get one of these things and stir away mess free - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VY3LSLC

I use it to strip up poo poo more often than I thought I would.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My wife got the kirkland peanut butter you need to stir up, and then poured off like half the oil on top to make it 'healthier'.

The bottom third was a rock we had to throw out.

(I make sure to get to the new jars and stir them well before she gets her hands on them)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just get one of these things and stir away mess free - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VY3LSLC

I use it to strip up poo poo more often than I thought I would.

"just get a special stirring wand" nah no thanks

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

what part of "choosy moms choose jiff" do you chumps not understand ?!?!?!?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mozi posted:

everyone's been in quarantine so long, you're all going stir crazy

alternative theory: goons have always been this way

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How hard is it to stir a jar of peanut butter? It taste WAY better, and takes like 2 minutes the first time you open a jar.

Unless you're eating a jar a day I fail to see how that becomes a time sink for someone. And if you do eat a jar a day you probably only poo poo like once a week so you should have plenty of time to stir your pb.

Honestly, I prefer the taste and texture of the “faker” (not really but it has a bit more oil + sugar as emulsifiers) stuff, it has nothing to do with the inconvenience or effort of stirring 🤷🏻‍♂️

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Do ya’ll keep the PB in the fridge or cupboard? I keep it in the fridge but sometimes it’s too cold and doesn’t spread for poo poo. I am scared to keep it outside of the fridge tho.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Honestly, I prefer the taste and texture of the “faker” (not really but it has a bit more oil + sugar as emulsifiers) stuff, it has nothing to do with the inconvenience or effort of stirring 🤷🏻‍♂️

I prefer the natural stuff but go with the fake stuff when I am hiking or camping. Seems to spread way easier on tortillas. The peanut butter family is a big tent and has room for everyone except for those Smucker Goobers scum.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I prefer the natural stuff but go with the fake stuff when I am hiking or camping. Seems to spread way easier on tortillas. The peanut butter family is a big tent and has room for everyone except for those Smucker Goobers scum.

yeah, it’s not like the fake stuff is that far off from real, nutritionally or tastewise. Nutritionally they’re functionally the same unless you have some kind of unique allergy.

now if you’ve ever had “low fat” or “low cholesterol” or “light” peanut butter forced on you—that stuff is just all kinds of wrong.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

priznat posted:

Do ya’ll keep the PB in the fridge or cupboard? I keep it in the fridge but sometimes it’s too cold and doesn’t spread for poo poo. I am scared to keep it outside of the fridge tho.

Counter/cupboard. It's shelf stable.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I get Natural Jif. It's peanuts, salt, and I think palm oil to stabilize it I'm guessing. I'm too lazy to stir all natural stuff :haw:

It's the best of the no-stir stuff that I've tried, but I'm also not a PB connoisseur. Wish my local Costco carried it instead of the regular extra sugar PB.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Kirkland Organic Peanut Butter is the best. I do the store it upside down thing, but right-side up after opening. I only ever stir it up the first time I open it. After that, it stays mixed up just fine. I keep it on the counter because refrigerated peanut butter is for weirdos like Dan from middle school. That was so fuckin' weird, Dan.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

GI_Clutch posted:

Kirkland Organic Peanut Butter is the best. I do the store it upside down thing, but right-side up after opening. I only ever stir it up the first time I open it. After that, it stays mixed up just fine. I keep it on the counter because refrigerated peanut butter is for weirdos like Dan from middle school. That was so fuckin' weird, Dan.

I've got a jar of this garbage for anyone that wants it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So what exactly are the steps to getting money back from my executive membership? I’m due for a renewal in May. We upgraded to executive because with a kid we figured we would spend more, which we do, but only about $150-200 a month total.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I prefer powdered peanut butter so I can cut it nice and fine and snort a line off the bathroom counter at my local Costco

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Renegret posted:

I prefer powdered peanut butter so I can cut it nice and fine and snort a line off the bathroom counter at my local Costco

I can't wait for the samples to go back to how they used to be, so I can snort a line of PB off the sample cart with some 75 year old woman on the other side just standing there watching me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jingleheimer posted:

I can't wait for the samples to go back to how they used to be, so I can snort a line of PB off the sample cart with some 75 year old woman on the other side just standing there watching me.

I'm not allowed within 30 feet of a sample cart anymore ever since that fiasco with the toilet paper sample

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

nwin posted:

So what exactly are the steps to getting money back from my executive membership? I’m due for a renewal in May. We upgraded to executive because with a kid we figured we would spend more, which we do, but only about $150-200 a month total.

You'll get an envelope in a couple of months with the renewal info, I got mine today and my membership is up on March. I got back a little more than the dues, so it'll be a free membership for me this year. Anything you get over $60 is worth it since it doesn't cost anything.

If you didn't clear enough just take it over to the membership desk and they'll take care of ya. I think they refund the extra $60 you paid and just take back the refund check. And then since you're due for renewal you hand that 60 back. I guess.