Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
New video, this time they show the new gas buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxh8kvtUuxY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

lagidnam posted:

New video, this time they show the new gas buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxh8kvtUuxY

That’s cool I guess, but doesn’t seem like they’re adding anything that directly effects the player. Because that’s a big problem with the game overall.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Back Hack posted:

That’s cool I guess, but doesn’t seem like they’re adding anything that directly effects the player. Because that’s a big problem with the game overall.

In what way? It looks like the new extractors are going to be a new way of handling resource extraction, and the gas pipelines are likely to end up behaving differently to liquids. Along with the blender building more of your factory designs are going to involve fluid handling in general.

Do you just mean in terms of actual player upgrades? Because in that case it's true, they haven't shown off any new tools/equipment, and I don't think they did with the fluids update either.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
More content yes, UI changes or gameplay features (blueprints/mass-build/etc) no. I have to wonder this close to Update 4 / v1.0 if we can expect that sort of change to the game though. I'm happy with more stuff to build, I don't need more ways to build it.

I would like to see trains streamlined and improved a bit, I guess.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
They have explicitly stated several times that they have no plans to add blueprints, so don't get your hopes up. I don't think it is a pipes situation where it gets added as a surprise, it's just not going to happen.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It did come up in a Q&A not too long ago that the developers' opinion on blueprinting/copy-paste was starting to soften. Not to say that they'll add them, but they're starting to see arguments for doing so.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Can we skip the page or two or arguing about blueprints and go right to the inevitable “if you want blueprints play Factorio” instead?

I do agree that trains need tweaking though, but that could be an update all on its own. Vehicles in general, really.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Blueprints being being able to capture an entire system of built items for stamping them out?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

priznat posted:

Blueprints being being able to capture an entire system of built items for stamping them out?

In factorio you can copy anything and paste it, if you have drone networks and resources to build the stuff, so it's not just copy paste but more like advanced efficient building. They defo need that in satisfactory but due to elevation stuff it could probably only work on a totally flat factory floor, which is fine too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It sounds like a nice QoL thing but because Satisfactory is so chill and there are no resource or time constraints I’m fine without it.

One thing I would like is better ability to combine splitters/mergers with conveyor lifts. So you could add a splitter/merge in the middle, etc. That’d be nice in some multi storey factories. I work around it but it would clean it up.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

In what way? It looks like the new extractors are going to be a new way of handling resource extraction, and the gas pipelines are likely to end up behaving differently to liquids. Along with the blender building more of your factory designs are going to involve fluid handling in general.

Do you just mean in terms of actual player upgrades? Because in that case it's true, they haven't shown off any new tools/equipment, and I don't think they did with the fluids update either.

A lot of this game is focused around making parts for the sake of making more part, other single purchase upgrades which are few in number, we don't use these parts for anything.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Back Hack posted:

A lot of this game is focused around making parts for the sake of making more part, other single purchase upgrades which are few in number, we don't use these parts for anything.

This is kind of the problem. It’s parts to make parts. Like, I hate the space station parts because they serve no purpose at all. Just adding extra complex manufacturing chains doesn’t make me want to rebuild.

I wouldn’t mind some additional gameplay things. An optional Tower/horde defense area maybe? Maybe some new vehicles, like a copter, or hovercraft, or bipedal mech? Some QoL or logistic improvements like teleporters? Or maybe even some overclock side grades like reduced power, or improved efficiency.

Yeah, I know a lot of that is factorio think; but that’s probably also why factorio is so good too.

(My Satisfactory crossover fever dream is to be able to use parts to produce battle tech/mechwarrior type components and ammo, then take my mechs out on sorties.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m hoping you’re actually building parts for a starship that you can take to new planets to exploit/build on but that of course would be a heck of an explosion in the scope of the game which is already quite large with a fairly huge map.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The game is entirely about parts to make parts to make parts and how to best lay your factories out to make those parts. You’re playing a zen garden that shoots stuff off into space.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm still gonna wait until 1.0 to play again but new stuff looks cool

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Do people particularly play Factorio for the military aspects? Obviously you do build defences and weapons and such, but in my experience they're more of a sideshow to the main goal of building a big space rocket (and post-game launching rockets as quickly as you can). You're not building the factory to supply your war machine. That's more a Mindustry thing.

It might help once the story is in to see what Project Assembly actually is and have it feel like your space elevator supplies are meaningfully achieving something, since in Early Access it's just an abstract goal to unlock new tech, with the project parts being functionally the same as Factorio's science packs.

I do think that simply having new resources isn't exciting in itself; having more parts to build is only interesting if those parts are actually distinct in how you put them together. It's an issue I've had with a lot of the big Factorio mods in the past. I think Satisfactory generally does this pretty well, and it's able to use the map as an additional factor here; mechanically turning iron into plates isn't any different from turning quartz into silica, but the fact that iron is everywhere while quartz is only a handful of locations makes them feel like very different resources to handle. Each resource has its own demands in how it is used, right up to bauxite's huge production chain, and I trust Coffee Stain to keep that interesting with Nitrogen.

I reckon with the blender coming in we'll start to see fluids become a much more key player in the tier 7-8 parts. Until now you didn't really need pipes outside of raw resource refining and power plants; now you're probably going to be wanting to snake things like nitrogen and acids through your main processing buildings, and I think that's going to give this tier a new, distinct flavour, but who knows what else they have planned.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Do people particularly play Factorio for the military aspects? Obviously you do build defences and weapons and such, but in my experience they're more of a sideshow to the main goal of building a big space rocket (and post-game launching rockets as quickly as you can). You're not building the factory to supply your war machine. That's more a Mindustry thing.

There are people playing on Deathworld setiings to make the biters more of a challenge, and if that's not enough, there are mods to make them even nastier.
Ither mods add a bunch of military stuff, both in the form of defenses (turrets etc) and weapons for the player, so there definitely are people playing this for the combat.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh noooo a doggo found a plutonium container (I have not even gotten to tier 3 yet so I don't know where the hell that came from) so if it comes near me I get radiation poisoning. Do I have to lure it away and maroon it somewhere or will it just get something else in its inventory?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

priznat posted:

Oh noooo a doggo found a plutonium container (I have not even gotten to tier 3 yet so I don't know where the hell that came from) so if it comes near me I get radiation poisoning. Do I have to lure it away and maroon it somewhere or will it just get something else in its inventory?

It's ol' yeller time.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

priznat posted:

I’m told you can build long conveyors from the doggo pens to a distant storage unit, and you will survive long enough to grab the plutonium and drop it on the conveyor, but I haven’t tamed any yet personally

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

One waste container isn't that big a deal, you can just drop it on the ground somewhere. Have full health, take it from the doggo, then open your inventory and drag the waste onto the ground. You don't need to go that far away from your main base or whatever, the radiation zone around a single container is like 20m.

If you have a pack of like 5 or 6 doggos* and are farming them for slugs, you'll probably want to make a waste storage system. 1 storage container near your doggo pen, a long conveyor to somewhere else, and a box that's in an area you don't care about.

*large numbers of doggos can have performance impact as they all try to pathfind to you. if you plan to tame a dozen or more doggos, you probably want to put them somewhere that you won't be doing other things.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can tame the lizard dogs?!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Leal posted:

You can tame the lizard dogs?!

Yes.

clue: they love paleberries

spoiler: walk around with paleberries in your hand, when the doggo sees the berries they will stay near you rather than run away.
when you have their attention walk (not run) towards the doggo until it starts backing up. then drop a berry on the ground. the doggo will walk up and eat the berry, then you can pet it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Whew, doggo-mergency solved! That wasn’t too bad to just plop the waste in an isolated spot.

Now I just unlocked coal (new save) and of course all the nodes are on top of the cliffs that are a bear to get to.

Also the Scalti factory building methods are pretty tricky if you aren’t enabling fly mode :haw:

I just have a mess of walkways going up the sides now for my rotor/reinforced plate/rotor plate factory and it looks awful but whatever!! Now that they are build I can come back and clean it up if I feel like optimizing some more.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

just fyi it’s all the same map so new saves are kind of pointless unless you just want to start fresh. But then you can just tear everything down and move.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

just fyi it’s all the same map so new saves are kind of pointless unless you just want to start fresh. But then you can just tear everything down and move.

Oh yeah I know, I just wanted to start fresh from the start. Not really any reason to and I could have just set off for this different area but it gives me something to putter around for to get to the top tiers when the update drops.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
One reason to start fresh is to get the good/useful alternate recipes for lower tier items. If you haven't unlocked the tier, hard drives won't offer the alts for those items so if you research many hard drives at lower levels you have a greater chance of getting the recipes you want.

It's a tradeoff though - many crash sites will require late game items to unlock the hard drive so you'll have some serious exploring to do!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I found some encased steel beams at one crash site and the next one required exactly those, worked out good!

I have been searching for crash sites so I can get as many alternative recipes as possible, also the late tier items you find there gives a lot of points at the sink for early ticket getting!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Huh, just found out you can change the default palette and change every unpainted building with one click!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

The Postman posted:

Huh, just found out you can change the default palette and change every unpainted building with one click!

Indeed! This applies to every colour-set you apply to your various constructions. That's the real magic, that by editing colour palettes you can shift existing structures.

It would be better if they removed the ammo requirements and turned the relevant unlock into some sci-fi handwavium like "manipulate the chameoleoplastic coating on all FICSIT structures to optimise your production efficiency using this handheld tool".

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
This isnt the best thread to ask about this, but has anyone looked at Dwarfheim? It sounds like Satisfactory + Dungeon Keeper.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

This isnt the best thread to ask about this, but has anyone looked at Dwarfheim? It sounds like Satisfactory + Dungeon Keeper.

I’m interested in checking out the new one from Coffee Stain, Valheim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly2P6powIjw

The trailer is so :rock: It should have black metal just playing ingame nonstop

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Sounds like all the people that want to play tower defense should just play something like Rimworld, where you can organize stuff and build a base, but there's much more combat

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Do updates tend to ruin saves or something? I noticed they tweeted what appears to be a reminder to back up saves. I kind of want to preserve my first factory as long as possible, especially since I haven't actually seen all the late game stuff yet. Does Early Access status just doom this first save to be unusable at some point?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Not as a rule, but there might be bugs where an update could mess up your save.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Usually the only thing that can "Ruin" a save is if they change some geometry or change a recipe that could mess up your factories.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's a guarantee that they'll break your production lines for stuff in T7 this update along with the other stuff they said they're going to change. Items won't be deleted or anything, the machines will just stop working.

There's a medium probability that when they introduce the new resource nodes it might require you to move some of your factory around if you ended up building on top of it.

There's a low probability that they'll change any other terrain that would cause part of your factory to clip into the world geometry.

Other than that, you don't really have to worry about your saves breaking.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Sweet, thanks! I'm not worried about forced factory redesign - I kind of look forward to that. As long as I just don't lose everything I'll be good!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Postman posted:

Do updates tend to ruin saves or something? I noticed they tweeted what appears to be a reminder to back up saves. I kind of want to preserve my first factory as long as possible, especially since I haven't actually seen all the late game stuff yet. Does Early Access status just doom this first save to be unusable at some point?

The save game format is designed so it can generally load any game in a future version. Items in the world that aren't recognized by the version loading the save are just deleted. They probably try to upgrade saves to new versions, but don't handle downgrades.
This also means that saves with modded content can be loaded in versions missing the mods, the mod content will just be gone from the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just built up a 100% efficient basic iron plate and rods factory last nite and it was really satisfying when done.

I had converted my previous less efficient one over to making reinforced plates and rotors but it turns out you still need rods and plates a lot of places!!

priznat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 19, 2021