Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

side_burned posted:

Counter point Snyder is a fascist.

Case in point, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
exile everyone with a strong opinion about zach snyder to another thread

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
cined already has one of those

or is that the joke

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
there was no joke, my friend

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

side_burned posted:

If we want talk about episodes of Dinosaurs that "aged well."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9b9aoINXzk&t=7s
:stare:

destroying the planet and dying for capitalism except we don't get a laugh track while we do it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cold on a Cob posted:

destroying the planet and dying for capitalism except we don't get a laugh track while we do it

I hesr the canned laughter from the Lasagnacat videos in my head on a regular basis

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
x-posting from cine-d for hilarity's sake

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

lol in case anyone was wondering, the Ben Shapiro movie ends with gun girl spotting the villain sauntering away from the crime scene and, instead of alerting anyone, she spends like ten minutes stealing a sniper rifle from the cops and hobbling over to where the guy is (she's got a leg injury).

The part where she shoots him is shockingly badly edited, and then she gives a cringey monologue about how she likes to inflict suffering. Cue the Vietnam War protest song over the credits.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Loveshaft posted:

:nallears:

Mocking Snyder is fun because no other filmmaker has such a defensive personality cult around him like he does. Your posting, for example.

Hey man, I just want to watch the version of Justice League that isn’t racist.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Equeen posted:

Hey man, I just want to watch the version of Justice League that isn’t racist.

well you're absolutely not watching the Snyder Cut then

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Tonight, on UpTV after the premiere world premiere of God's Still Mostly Alive, 'e's Not Dead Yet

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Taintrunner posted:

the ben shapiro movie what?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Cold on a Cob posted:

it’s about a good school shooter stopping a bad school shooter

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

side_burned posted:

he directs superhero movies, it just comes with the genre

The whole MCU is about an arms dealer becoming American Jesus

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

side_burned posted:

Contrapoints Snyder

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Snyder is a fascist, his fans are cultists and movie opinions aren't praxis, I say as I rush into the CSPAM pop culture thread to post about a director whose last film was 5 years ago

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Cold on a Cob posted:

his site bought the distribution rights to a movie no one wanted
which in a year when very few movies were made should let you know how bad the movie is

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Farm Frenzy posted:

i refuse to believe that anyone in this thread has actuallyw atched dinosaurs

its a great way to learn another language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drzha3aY5Dc

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Did anybody see Promising Young Woman? There's a lot to unpack with that one, but I can't find anyone to talk about it.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Atrocious Joe posted:

Snyder’s Ayn Rand stanning doesn’t help, either.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Loveshaft posted:

Snyder’s Ayn Rand stanning doesn’t help, either.

when did that happen?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Atrocious Joe posted:

300, the dawn of the dead remake, and the watchmen adaptation (a notably non-fascistic superhero story) are also super cozy with fascism to varying degrees

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Equeen posted:

when did that happen?

When he wanted to adapt The Fountainhead.

Declan MacManus posted:

300, the dawn of the dead remake, and the watchmen adaptation (a notably non-fascistic superhero story) are also super cozy with fascism to varying degrees

He now wants to make a film about George Washington in the style of 300. :suicide:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

with the addition of endgame to the canon, snyder has no longer made the only blockbuster superhero film where the hero directly executes a fascist. but it's still the only one where they do it before allowing them to commit genocide.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

General Dog posted:

Did anybody see Promising Young Woman? There's a lot to unpack with that one, but I can't find anyone to talk about it.

What's your verdict? I was interested in it but slightly put off by all the thought pieces. But then, every film attracts endless thought pieces and hot takes.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Go back to the Snyder cult quarantine thread in CineD.

See what I mean by how defensive they get?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

Alan Moore certainly didn't intend for Watchmen to be fascist, but lots of people came away from it idolizing Rorschach

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

Alan Moore certainly didn't intend for Watchmen to be fascist, but lots of people came away from it idolizing Rorschach

Snyder thought that the reason watchmen was such a popular comic is because it mainstreamed sex and violence. Lmao

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Loveshaft posted:

Go back to the Snyder cult quarantine thread in CineD.

See what I mean by how defensive they get?

sorry, it's too funny to keep saying basic statements about the guy's films and have people's heads explode. you're only allowed to say utterly ridiculous things like "he may have adapted a work by a famous anarchist snake magician, but it was secretly a fascist thing to do" and watch people fall about trying to say that adding more kicks and punches is where the fascism sneaks in.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

nonathlon posted:

What's your verdict? I was interested in it but slightly put off by all the thought pieces. But then, every film attracts endless thought pieces and hot takes.

Movie's gorgeously shot and has some inspired music choices, but despite having sympathetic motivations, the protagonist is a bit hard to like/support. I'm aware that she's meant to be a challenging character and the movie's probably having a bit of fun with the idea of making the audience contend with how they react to her and what that means about the audience in a broader sense, but understanding that doesn't necessarily make it a satisfying character arc. It's also a little weird that arguably the two cruelest ruses she perpetrates in the movie are on other women.

That all looks like incomprehensible word salad I'm sure, but it's hard to discuss the movie without discussing the ending, which does some bold things but then kind of trips across the finish line with an epilogue that feels at odds with what came right before.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
The more I think about Paul Verhoeven the more I am amazed that he predicted the Hollywood would empower Bay, Snyder and Nollen 20 years before it happened.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Loveshaft posted:

He now wants to make a film about George Washington in the style of 300. :suicide:

that would rule tho

duz
Jul 11, 2005

General Dog posted:

i was going to until i found out about the third act twist and now its a bit lower down on my watch list

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

there better be flashbacks about George Washington loving up and starting the Seven Years War

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

duz posted:

that would rule tho

If that gets green lighted I hope Tarantino would move forward with his bio pic of John Brown.

side_burned has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Jan 19, 2021

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Atrocious Joe posted:

one of those people was zack snyder unfortunately

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

duz posted:

i was going to until i found out about the third act twist and now its a bit lower down on my watch list

The character is best described as [vague spoilers] "well, her best friend was raped in college and later committed suicide, so now she's doomed as well; and there's nothing she can do now but circle the drain in her grief and her rage until it costs her literally everything." The movie introduces her as this sort-of badass avenging angel, but she's paradoxically weak and kind of helpless to be defined by anything other than her (second-hand) trauma. I know that's not, like, an accident on the part of the filmmakers, but it seems to fall into some stereotypes of abuse victims kind of being "ruined women" that aren't especially constructive. But I'm for sure not the person to be writing essays on this movie, and I'd be happy to read takes from those who have the frame of reference/vocabulary/book learnin' to better process it.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Declan MacManus posted:

one of those people was zack snyder unfortunately

Yeah, Rorschach was a violent wingnut, but by the end of the story it was the rich guy who killed millions of people for “peace”.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

duz posted:

that would rule tho

Yeah, I cannot wait to see George Washington and his tax dodging ubermensch create an independent slave state as depicted by a Randian filmmaker.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Loveshaft posted:

So, it'll a movie about a group of white slave owners fighting against a totalitarian empire? Checks out.

indigi posted:

it’s about a good school shooter stopping a bad school shooter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMgMr0JcYJ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Loveshaft posted:

Couldn't be worse than The Patriot