Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Does anyone know of a program like HWMonitor that shows metrics in a nicer and more manageable way, like in the Task Manager?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Boz0r posted:

Does anyone know of a program like HWMonitor that shows metrics in a nicer and more manageable way, like in the Task Manager?

the gold standard hardware monitor program is hwinfo64

out of the box it shows every drat thing in your system that can be measured, which is way too much stuff. but you can hide & disable things you don't care about.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Boz0r posted:

In HWInfo, open the sensors page and right click a sensor, then choose add to tray to get it in your system tray. You can also access the configuration for the tray icons from the same right click menu to choose colors and whatnot. I like to keep an eye on my cpu and gpu temps that way just like I did with coretemp 10 years ago and whatever the hell I used 20 years ago. I'm not booting up my old systems just to check the name.

edit: also in the HWInfo settings I have it show sensors on startup, minimize main window on startup, minimize sensors on startup, and minimize sensors instead of closing. That gets them visible every time without doing anything.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Is there some way to force an error report to be sent? I can't for the life of me figure out why Windows correctly reports all errors but for this one hardware crash (related to X4: Foundations) the errors all show as not reported and I don't see a way to send them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just popped a NVMe drive into the second M.2 slot on my mother board Windows doesn't recognize it. I went into Device Manager and got this from the "Events" tab on the drive:

quote:

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_NVMe&Prod_WDC_WDS100T2B0C-\7&83c81b7&0&000000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SCSI\Disk&Ven_Msft&Prod_Virtual_Disk\2&1f4adffe&0&000003
Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FF001001F120
Present: false

What does that mean? What do I do to fix it? Most results on Google are about Windows updates, but that's not involved here.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is it a new or used drive?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is it a new or used drive?

Brand new, as far as I know.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
First thing to check would be to see if the last two SATA ports share PCIe lanes with a second M.2, which is a common arrangement.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

hooah posted:

Brand new, as far as I know.

Can you see the drive showing in disk management?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Can you see the drive showing in disk management?

It is! Can't believe I forgot to check there. Time to clone my C: drive over there...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How can I enable accelerated wheel scrolling? I.e. if I keep scrolling up/down in quick succession, I want the speed to increase.

I had this on my last Windows 10, but now that I've installed on a new PC it's gone.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PirateBob posted:

How can I enable accelerated wheel scrolling? I.e. if I keep scrolling up/down in quick succession, I want the speed to increase.

I had this on my last Windows 10, but now that I've installed on a new PC it's gone.

That sounds like a feature that was added by software / drivers for your mouse.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

That sounds like a feature that was added by software / drivers for your mouse.

I don't recall installing any software or drivers for my mouse. It's a basic Microsoft optical mouse.

Edit: right you are. Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center gives me the options I want.

Thanks Klyith!

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 19, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Nearby Sharing is glacial for me. I think it's transferring over BT.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

Ddu - display driver uninstaller

I finally had some time to try this and it seems to have cleared up the problem, fingers crossed it stays this way.

Thanks guys.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
A friend's PC was having problems launching Windows Store apps, including the store itself, so after trying troubleshooter etc I told her to "reset my PC" it, assuming a guaranteed solution would be worth the hassle of setting up a few things again.

Now all those apps are gone entirely, listed in the start menu as ms-resource:StoreTile or ms-resource:AppName and trying to force a reinstall tells me the manifest isn't even there.

My immediate idea was to copy the manifests over from a working install and start reinstalling them like that, but I'm not even sure if that will work or why the gently caress the reset made things worse.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Threep posted:

A friend's PC was having problems launching Windows Store apps, including the store itself, so after trying troubleshooter etc I told her to "reset my PC" it, assuming a guaranteed solution would be worth the hassle of setting up a few things again.

Now all those apps are gone entirely, listed in the start menu as ms-resource:StoreTile or ms-resource:AppName and trying to force a reinstall tells me the manifest isn't even there.

My immediate idea was to copy the manifests over from a working install and start reinstalling them like that, but I'm not even sure if that will work or why the gently caress the reset made things worse.

A quick search suggests file or cache corruption.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-completely-lost-from-my-system-on/6206eff1-c341-43b5-b2e4-f3792c5ee3da

https://windows101tricks.com/fix-microsoft-store-missing-windows-10/

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

A quick search suggests file or cache corruption.
That was my first thought too but it looks like it's just gone:

code:
Cannot find path 'C:\Program
Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_12011.1001.113.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxMetadata\AppxBundleManifest.xml'
because it does not exist.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The only fix for that is an in-place upgrade if she wants to keep her files.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm trying to add a number of accounts to an outlook profile. One account in particular is causing problems, Outlook opens fine the first time after adding the account, but after closing Outlook and trying to re-open I get the error message "CAnnot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. An unexpected error has occurred." and Outlook immediately quits. Outlook wont even start in safe mode, this persists until I delete the account via control panel after which Outlook opens fine.

I have the exact same setup on another PC (with identical spec) with no issues, I've tried deleting the .ost file for the account and even adding a new profile to no avail. Running the Outlook Repair tool, does indeed find errors on the .OST but even after repair Outlook still wont open.

Any ideas?

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 29, 2021

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there a way to choose a custom value for Power and sleep? Like, I want my monitor to turn off after 7 minutes. Not 5, not 10.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Celexi posted:

The only fix for that is an in-place upgrade if she wants to keep her files.
That also didn't fix it - in fact the WindowsApps folder is just plain gone now.

edit: My bad, she didn't realize it was hidden, but it absolutely did not help

Threep fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 29, 2021

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

doctorfrog posted:

Is there a way to choose a custom value for Power and sleep? Like, I want my monitor to turn off after 7 minutes. Not 5, not 10.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

All of those settings should be in one of these two keys:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings

Open up a procmon session, change the setting, and see which key is modified. That should pinpoint it. Then you can manually edit the hex value to what you need.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks. I should have known such a thing was possible using a screen widget that goes back to Windows XP.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, so once I clone my drive with Windows installed onto a new drive, how do I go about making my computer boot from the new one? Just tell the BIOS/bootloader? That seems reasonable, but I don't want the old install to gum up the works.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Just tell the BIOS to boot from the new one. If you're worried about accidentally booting from the wrong one, set the wallpaper to (or away from) goatse after cloning. That way you'll know right away if you end up on the wrong one.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
As long as it's UEFI you can straight up delete the EFI system partition from the old drive, then it won't be bootable. If it's MBR, then it's not as straightforward.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

doctorfrog posted:

Thanks. I should have known such a thing was possible using a screen widget that goes back to Windows XP.

From the days when choice and information density were (rightfully) king

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Threep posted:

That also didn't fix it - in fact the WindowsApps folder is just plain gone now.

edit: My bad, she didn't realize it was hidden, but it absolutely did not help

an in-place upgrade will basically reinstall the operating system, think she did something else?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Celexi posted:

an in-place upgrade will basically reinstall the operating system, think she did something else?
I was watching at that point, in-place upgrade from the media creation toolkit, it absolutely didn't fix it, just left every app as non-functional as before

We did a full reinstall in the end and now it's all good

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Geemer posted:

Just tell the BIOS to boot from the new one. If you're worried about accidentally booting from the wrong one, set the wallpaper to (or away from) goatse after cloning. That way you'll know right away if you end up on the wrong one.

Ok, I did this, and all seems well. The larger drive is now C:\. However, when I try to format the old system disk, Windows warns me that there's at least one program/process still using the disk. Why would that be, and how can I figure out what that process is and how to point it at the new system disk?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hooah posted:

Ok, I did this, and all seems well. The larger drive is now C:\. However, when I try to format the old system disk, Windows warns me that there's at least one program/process still using the disk. Why would that be, and how can I figure out what that process is and how to point it at the new system disk?

The standard windows dick management tool won't delete windows system partitions, even if they're not the one that windows is actually running from.

two options are:
1. use a 3rd party partition tool (like the free version of this), or linux live USB with gparted
2. use DISKPART, the windows command-line partition tool with a text adventure interface

Diskpart is the fastest and easiest option since you don't need to do anything, but be cautious with it as it may be a bit confusing.

list disk - to see a list of your disks with their numbers
select disk # - use the number of the old disk you want to remove
at this point you can use clean if you want to wipe the whole drive and be done, or continue for individual partitions:
list part - list of partitions
select part # - select a partition you want to delete
delete partition
repeat select part & delete

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, thanks. Wasn't aware the GUI would behave that way. I'll use diskpart; I've probably used it before but just forgot about it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Klyith posted:

The standard windows dick management tool won't delete windows system partitions, even if they're not the one that windows is actually running from.

two options are:
1. use a 3rd party partition tool (like the free version of this), or linux live USB with gparted
2. use DISKPART, the windows command-line partition tool with a text adventure interface

Diskpart is the fastest and easiest option since you don't need to do anything, but be cautious with it as it may be a bit confusing.

list disk - to see a list of your disks with their numbers
select disk # - use the number of the old disk you want to remove
at this point you can use clean if you want to wipe the whole drive and be done, or continue for individual partitions:
list part - list of partitions
select part # - select a partition you want to delete
delete partition
repeat select part & delete

Handy tip, you only ever need the first three letters of a DISKPART command.

eg:
lis dis - to see a list of your disks with their numbers
sel dis # - use the number of the old disk you want to remove
lis par - list of partitions
sel par # - select a partition you want to delete
del par

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 30, 2021

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Handy tip, you only ever need the first three letters of a DISKPART command.

:aaa:

I used diskpart nearly every day in a shop for several years and didn't know this. The keystrokes I could have saved!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, now my machine won't boot. Apparently the clone didn't copy over the boot record somehow? What's going to be the easiest way to repair my machine without losing the data on my now-primary disk?

My BIOS no longer sees the new drive as a boot option in the "Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities" dialog.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

hooah posted:

Ok, now my machine won't boot. Apparently the clone didn't copy over the boot record somehow? What's going to be the easiest way to repair my machine without losing the data on my now-primary disk?

My BIOS no longer sees the new drive as a boot option in the "Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities" dialog.

I ran into the same thing because I installed Windows while my SATA SSD was plugged in, which was previously my boot disk. As soon as I unplugged it, I couldn't boot from my M.2 SSD. Based on what I'm reading, you've formatted the old drive, so I think in process you blew away the boot loader that was there previously.

I'm not quite sure how to resolve that without reinstalling Windows, but I'm thinking that's the gist of the problem.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nitsuga posted:

I ran into the same thing because I installed Windows while my SATA SSD was plugged in, which was previously my boot disk. As soon as I unplugged it, I couldn't boot from my M.2 SSD. Based on what I'm reading, you've formatted the old drive, so I think in process you blew away the boot loader that was there previously.

I'm not quite sure how to resolve that without reinstalling Windows, but I'm thinking that's the gist of the problem.

Yeah, that seems reasonable. I'm in the process of putting the installation tool on a flash drive. Maybe that can repair it. If nothing else works, I'll reinstall Windows on the (now) empty drive and start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I always enjoy getting tips for dick management.

Just the tip, though.