Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CBS All Access dies on March 4th and becomes Paramount+

https://www.engadget.com/paramount-plus-launch-date-161702061.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

this is cool but wonder how much has been cut out due to music rights issues

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

bull3964 posted:

CBS All Access dies on March 4th and becomes Paramount+

https://www.engadget.com/paramount-plus-launch-date-161702061.html

"Quick! Rebrand everything! Get me a show with a baby! Do we own Dinosaurs??? SOMEBODY REBOOT SOMETHING!!!"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

"Quick! Rebrand everything! Get me a show with a baby! Do we own Dinosaurs??? SOMEBODY REBOOT SOMETHING!!!"

Star Trek: Young Sheldon

Honestly it wouldn't be worse than Picard or Discovery.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

IRQ posted:

Star Trek: Young Sheldon

Honestly it wouldn't be worse than Picard or Discovery.

Young Picard.

Actually for real I would totally watch a show about young Chief O'Brien. Dude was the most battle seasoned person in Starfleet before the Dominion War.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Barry Convex posted:

this is cool but wonder how much has been cut out due to music rights issues

Yeah, I’m also wondering this. Even the old dvd releases weren’t complete because of it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Search Party season 4 is straight up sublime!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If it's missing from the DVD, I would expect it to be missing from these streams as well unless Disney went above and beyond to procure new rights contracts.

This is also why "A Muppets Family Christmas" is heavily truncated.

quote:

A Muppet Family Christmas has never been released in its entirety on either VHS or DVD in North America. Several songs were licensed specially to only air on TV, and thus had to be cut from home video versions.[2]

The original opening title (superimposed over a shot of Emily Bear's house).
The snowman and Fozzie's comedy act while singing the song "Sleigh Ride" when hearing Rowlf inside playing the piano.
The home movie featuring Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo and Scooter as babies singing "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" with baby Rowlf playing a toy piano.
The Muppets sing "Home for the Holidays", after Miss Piggy's grand belated arrival, then later "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" during the final medley.
A brief shot of Fozzie Bear and Elmo lighting a Christmas tree.
Fozzie tells his mother, Emily Bear, that he is too old to have a stocking hung for him, then changes his mind

What complicates this even further is the fact that both Muppets and Sesame Street characters are in the special, splitting the rights between AT&T and Disney. So, no one is going to try to fix the music rights if they don't have clear ownership to have the program on their service.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

cant cook creole bream posted:

Search Party season 4 is straight up sublime!

Elliott's story line is amazing

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

bull3964 posted:

If it's missing from the DVD, I would expect it to be missing from these streams as well unless Disney went above and beyond to procure new rights contracts.

This is also why "A Muppets Family Christmas" is heavily truncated.

What complicates this even further is the fact that both Muppets and Sesame Street characters are in the special, splitting the rights between AT&T and Disney. So, no one is going to try to fix the music rights if they don't have clear ownership to have the program on their service.

Sesame Street isn't owned by AT&T, but AT&T have first rights. Sesame Workshop, a non-profit, owns Sesame Street.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's a weird early Muppet Show ep where Bert and Ernie do a skit, which could make that relevant

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

Elliott's story line is amazing

It absolutely is.

Also this had one of the best one line introductions to a side character I've ever seen.
(not a story spoiler) " We've never formally met, but I've been decorating your house for the past four Christmas seasons."
That sentence in that situation absolutely slayed me.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 19, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

quote:

Just days ahead of the launch of the second season on January 25th, TNT has renewed its sci-fi drama “Snowpiercer” for a third season.

Set more than seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland, the show centers on the remnants of humanity who inhabit a perpetually moving train. Jennifer Connelly, Daveed Diggs and Sean Bean star.

Over on Peacock, the sequel series to the 1990s teen comedy “Saved by the Bell” has been renewed for a ten-episode second season. It marks the second Peacock series to score a renewal following comedy “A.P. Bio”.

That renewal comes just shy of two months after its premiere on the SVOD service. The show is a sequel to the 1990s teen comedy and features several original cast members but focuses on a new set of students at Bayside High.

Source: The Live Feed

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

It absolutely is.

Also this had one of the best one line introductions to a side character I've ever seen.
(not a story spoiler) " We've never formally met, but I've been decorating your house for the past four Christmas seasons."

Haha yeah that killed me

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've watched three seasons of Search Party in 4 days. Looking forward to being up to speed shortly!

Then I plan to finally getting around to The Great and Ted Lasso.

Then Vikings should be finished up and I'll get started on Kingdom to fill the hole that will leave.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

It absolutely is.

And the entire thing is a Little Red Riding Hood reference!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone watch Catastrophe on Amazon? Is that a show worth getting in to? I recently wrapped up Brooklyn Nine Nine, Upload, and Superstore. Need something new to get in to.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s super good although it depends how good you are with near-constant arguing

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it has some pretty harsh turns you don’t see coming. I need to finish watching it.

Still nothing beats Breeders for ‘well that’s not where I was expecting a silly sweary sitcom to go’.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone watch Catastrophe on Amazon? Is that a show worth getting in to? I recently wrapped up Brooklyn Nine Nine, Upload, and Superstore. Need something new to get in to.

Catastophe got a lot of love on these forums over the years, especially for such a small show with so few episodes. I definitely recommend it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

My wife and I both enjoyed binging the series, maybe two years ago. Sometimes it gets loving brutal, but it's consistently funny, and both leads are likable. Rob Delaney is a very cool dude on Twitter, too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Search Party, 4:

I've no idea how Search Party is getting away with its villain being an ever queerer parody version of Norman Bates, but it is. It's loving amazing, Cole Escola owns -- I like him so much more here than in Difficult People. But you'd think someone would complain but I've not seen it. Possibly because it's technically, playing with drag and disguise, rather than trans themes, and also maybe because entire thing feels like a really weird tribute piece to underappreciated gay icon Susan Sarandon.

Serious question: Christopher Meloni and Susan Sarandon have both consistently drifted into alt comedy stuff (Wondershowzen, Neo Yokio, Happy, Rick and Morty), but why have they never starred together?

That said, this show has completely entered fantasy land now -- by which I mean it's increasingly become satirical and referential to the real world, rather than set there. And also because this show now features guns powered by actual magic.

also HOLY poo poo Alia Shawkat. I was just gonna write that John Reynolds (Drew) is super under appreciated for his acting, and maybe Season 4 is the year he'll break out, but holy gently caress she's completely blowing everyone else on this away. That said, uh, wtf is this a comedy show anymore?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Search Party is a comedy in much the same way that Wayne is. Just relentlessly dark and satirical.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I get that this has never been a realistic show but the end of episode 3 annoyed me. The next episode better not end with her just back in the dungeon. It's already been established that she is a ton stronger than him. How on earth could/would she let him drag her all the way back to the house and down to the dungeon?

Also, I kind of hope she actually escapes in the next couple of episodes. My favourite stuff is having them all argue/interact with each other and having them seperate at the moment kills some of he magic.

Also, having recently watched the first three sesaons, I was really surprised the selfie at the border never played into the plot. I thought that was going to be one of their undoings/hurdles but it was never spoken of again.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Searech party. Just holy gently caress.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Looten Plunder posted:

I get that this has never been a realistic show but the end of episode 3 annoyed me. The next episode better not end with her just back in the dungeon. It's already been established that she is a ton stronger than him. How on earth could/would she let him drag her all the way back to the house and down to the dungeon?

Also, I kind of hope she actually escapes in the next couple of episodes. My favourite stuff is having them all argue/interact with each other and having them seperate at the moment kills some of he magic.

Also, having recently watched the first three sesaons, I was really surprised the selfie at the border never played into the plot. I thought that was going to be one of their undoings/hurdles but it was never spoken of again.

Yeah I agree about the end of ep3, but I thought they at least made it pretty clear that everybody else is figuring out something isn't quite right and will be forming up a new Search Party pretty soon, so her escaping on their own would make that kind of pointless.

I like this 3 episodes at a time release schedule. I hope more shows get creative with how they get released, especially if they can sync it up to plot points and have it feel like more natural pauses. But that kind of begs the question of why are they even limiting shows to specific runtimes anymore.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
A show that releases 3 episodes a week... but not in sequential order :getin:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Simone Magus posted:

You jest, but Sam Esmail as said something not too far off that for the BSG reboot/continue/thing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collider.com/battlestar-galactica-reboot-details-update-sam-esmail-interview/amp/

quote:

“When I spoke to Peacock about it, and Mike Lesslie who’s an amazing writer – he’s the one who’s showrunning and writing the pilot – the one thing we got excited by is do we release an episode a week, [release all at once]? For me it was like let’s get in there and tell the right story and it will tell us how many episodes. We may dump three episodes in a row because it’s a three-episode-long battle sequence that needs to be dropped in a row even though they’re three signifying chapters, and maybe each chapter is switching a point of view within that battle sequence. There may be a 20-minute episode that’s the backstory of one of the characters that gets dropped right after that.”

“So I can’t tell you the number of episodes, but it’s also kind of a little meaningless because I think we’re gonna look at it as sort of like a spider web where we can plot and point and say, ‘Well this isn’t chronologically after Episode 1 or Episode 2, it’s the backstory of someone, but let’s release that so audiences can check that out if they want or they can just jump into the battle sequence’. We’re really gonna experiment with form in that way, and again I think with a property like Battlestar it lends to that.”

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 21, 2021

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Simone Magus posted:

Ah, mixing in the Fox method. Clever!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

bull3964 posted:

You jest, but Sam Esmail as said something not to far off that for the BSG reboot/continue/thing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collider.com/battlestar-galactica-reboot-details-update-sam-esmail-interview/amp/

Oh drat that sounds cool as hell. Officially hype

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Searech party. Just holy gently caress.

I'm glad you guys recommended the show. Season 2 was tough for me to get through (not because the show was bad, I just have a hell of a time with the whole constantly doing dumber and dumber things but season 3 is amazing. I can't stop laughing at the hair dye stains all over Elliot and Portia

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boooooo

Year of the Rabbit isn't getting another series due to pandemic related budget cuts.

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/matt-berry-sitcom-year-of-the-rabbit-wont-get-a-new-season-after-all-2862039

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The pre-countdown has begun in the TVIV thread. The 30-1 countdown will start at 10PM Eastern

Still need to source YT clips and voter quotes, so I better get a move on. Guess I'm not getting any work at my 9-5 done today :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
that’s so late I will be asleep :( !!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying my best to accommodate! It's 2 hours earlier than last year

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Looten Plunder posted:

The pre-countdown has begun in the TVIV thread. The 30-1 countdown will start at 10PM Eastern

Still need to source YT clips and voter quotes, so I better get a move on. Guess I'm not getting any work at my 9-5 done today :)

wait what

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

For the top shows of 2020

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952217

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh poo poo!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Countdown is happening now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Finished Plot Against America and god drat Zoe Kazan and Winona Ryder are really great at this acting thing. Also I'm a dumbass and thought "Winchell" was a portmanteau of Winston Churchill for like half the episodes.