Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Potentiometers will always fail, eventually. Unless they're super fancy they measure position by scraping a bit of conductive material against a pad of conductive material. All that scrapin' gonna git ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I've started using the DS5 via 8BitDo's little dongle adapter. I was using 8BitDo's SN 30Pro+ previously, which I still love, but the weird thing is that I feel like the DS5 is significantly more responsive, like I've lost a frame or two of input lag.

Mister Facetious posted:

Actually, it's because the battery they were shipped with is significantly larger than that found in the DS4 or DS5, which are a loving joke.

just plug it in when you're done

Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 19, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do we know exactly what's wrong with the joy cons that make them combust? If we do I'm surprised no company has made a killing releasing a more durable replacement that can go in the joy con shell

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

rich enough to own a projector but still using wired headphones,

s m d h

Yeah, why not use bluetooth headphones for your Switch instead?

Oh wait

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mister Facetious posted:

Having owned the original and the updated version, the DS4 is categorically a poo poo peripheral.
L3 and R3 are too sensitive, the battery is too small, the touchpad is superfluous, the left stick is in the wrong spot, the triggers are too short, the thumbstick tops are badly designed with a concave center, the battery is too small, it uses Micro-usb which wears out the male connector incredibly fast, the gyro sensors are superfluous, and they're at least twenty bucks too expensive because of the useless poo poo Sony added to them that devs don't use.

DS4 is the most comfortable of the controllers and the left stick is in the exact right place that it's been since I got my DS back in like 3rd grade. The battery is definitely trash though

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Is Smash a good 'pick up and play' game if I wanna comp-stomp some easy bots? Like, are loading times long, especially for like any mini-games or what have you?

Marx Headroom posted:

Diablo 3 is my goto for scratching this itch. Take a 5 min break, blast through a rift or two, get shiny, make number go up, accomplished something itch scratched all done.

why did you remind me this game exists on the switch

you hecker, you jerk

:negative:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mega64 posted:

Oh wait

I have a blutooth headset i use on switch :shrug:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Len posted:

DS4 is the most comfortable of the controllers and the left stick is in the exact right place

nah, but that's subjective anyway. I mainly threw it in for console warring. :q:

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Mega64 posted:

Oh wait

I had a set of wireless headphones that had a receiver with an audio jack, so you could use it with things that didn't have bluetooth.

e: I mean, they even make a bluetooth receiver that works in cassette players in cars, so it shouldn't even be surprising.

Red Minjo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 19, 2021

alr
May 14, 2009

hatty posted:

Do we know exactly what's wrong with the joy cons that make them combust? If we do I'm surprised no company has made a killing releasing a more durable replacement that can go in the joy con shell

The black spots that the scissors are pointing to are the graphite(?) pads that those silver pins on the underside of the stick slide against to determine position. The graphite rubs off, and the tiny flakes probably cause false returns. You can see the missing patch in the middle of the bottom left rectangle.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Morter posted:

Is Smash a good 'pick up and play' game if I wanna comp-stomp some easy bots? Like, are loading times long, especially for like any mini-games or what have you?

There's a whole single-player mode dedicated to stomping bots. If you liked playing older Smash games single-player, you'll get a kick out of this one.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Mega64 posted:

There's a whole single-player mode dedicated to stomping bots. If you liked playing older Smash games single-player, you'll get a kick out of this one.

My entire experience with Smash Brothers is a whole lot of time comp-stomping on the 64 :kiddo: and like a couple hours on the 3DS which I didn't do for very long.

But yeah if it doesn't take very long to load up the game/quick matches I might snatch it up.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Morter posted:

If you’re using “pick up and play” literally and referring to playing in handheld, that means you’re playing Smash with the Joy-Cons, which :lol:

Otherwise yeah it’s fine for playing a few minutes at a time, just set your matches to be 5min or whatever

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Xenoblade Chronicles Definition Edition is the first game I'm playing mostly in docked mode. I think it's due to pulling the camera out to max making everything super small on handheld.

Anyone else have a game they play in the mode they don't usually use?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I am very excited to buy Kingdoms Of Amalur for a 4th time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How's Valkyria Chronicles? I'm interested in the anime WW2 setting and the fact that Vyse/Aika are in it. I love Skies of Arcadia.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

rich enough to own a projector but still using wired headphones,

s m d h

The projector was cheaper than a tv? Also I like wired headphones. Never had the want to pay that sort of money for wireless headphones, when the latter is just as good if not better.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Projectors are cheap as poo poo second hand and you get get pristine ones super easy but tbh the bougie aspect of it is imo having the space to set up a screen. Oh you have a space in your house that's set aside for just one thing? la di da Mr Frenchman. I need that wall space for a pile of nebulous garbage sorry

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The projector was cheaper than a tv? Also I like wired headphones. Never had the want to pay that sort of money for wireless headphones, when the latter is just as good if not better.

Well thats fair enough then but I god dammit being able to go for a piss without removing your headphones is worth the price of admission alone

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

alr posted:

The black spots that the scissors are pointing to are the graphite(?) pads that those silver pins on the underside of the stick slide against to determine position. The graphite rubs off, and the tiny flakes probably cause false returns. You can see the missing patch in the middle of the bottom left rectangle.

Interesting, so it seems possible for Nintendo to fix this with a revised stick that has graphite that doesn’t flake so easily or have it so the flakes don’t spread where they can cause harm. Here I thought the problem was inherent to the size of the thing

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I do desperately want a Bluetooth dongle for my switch lite because the headphone jack is in an insane place. I don't even like my wireless headphones that much, I use em for garden work and things where corded headphones are dangerous or whatever but the way the cord comes out the top of the lite drives me mental and I'd pay fifteen bucks or whatever to just gently caress the cord off entirely

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
For you folks jumping into Ring Fit and feeling sick, the golden rule of cardio is that 80% of your workout should be at an easy comfortable pace where you can hold a full conversation. It's better to bump it down to the bare minimum difficulty to keep moving than to go really hard for a short period of time (that breaks into anaerobic workout and is unsustainable) and have to stop. People make the same mistake when they start running or doing other cardio all the time.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

OhFunny posted:

Anyone else have a game they play in the mode they don't usually use?

I exclusively play Tetris 99 in handheld mode because I've convinced myself that I get better response times that way.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

yeah i really want a switch lite with no drift (and in a new sick special addition color) more so than even a switch pro, but they have to fix drift first.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I have dogshit cardio and I always think I am fine because i have always done physical labour for a living and am reasonably outdoorsy for a goon and then I do something like try to sprint from standing and I'm heaving and puking like a marathon runner. Look after your cardio folks.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wireless headphones are a nice convenience but there's a little lag depending on device and also sound quality is usually better on wired but those two are usually only caveats for audiophiles.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
The delay is a huge caveat in rhythm games. It often falls well outside of the range you can calibrate the timing for.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

The Maroon Hawk posted:

If you’re using “pick up and play” literally and referring to playing in handheld, that means you’re playing Smash with the Joy-Cons, which :lol:

Ah, sorry. What I mean to say is: Is Smash conducive to playing a round or few during like a coffee break or a bathroom trip.

I make an emphasis on loading times because a game like Project Diva--while having generally short songs, takes a while to load at both the main menu and after you select a song. Hell, even loading different costumes adds a bit of a load time. So, generally, I only play that game when I have about 20-30+ minutes to kill.

If smash took a while to load its assets every time I switched (heh) to it, then I'd want to play at a more dedicated span of time, rather than impulsive quick match.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Takoluka posted:

I know I'm an edge case, but not having voice chat or DMs on a console is fantastic, especially when PS4s were crashing and requiring factory resets because people would send a special single character message. If I want to talk to someone, I just hit them up on Discord.

Same.

IMHO it's only really useful for competive team vs team games. Every one of those type of games I can think off
Your better off playing on any other platform.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Otherwise yeah it’s fine for playing a few minutes at a time, just set your matches to be 5min or whatever

Dominate your return to the office by spending break time wearing this rigout and doing squats while using the pro controller.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

SeANMcBAY posted:

How's Valkyria Chronicles? I'm interested in the anime WW2 setting and the fact that Vyse/Aika are in it. I love Skies of Arcadia.

It's good. I have a few nitpicks with it like some missions having changing conditions that will completely gently caress you over unless you expect it.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's fun as hell. It's a turn based strategy game with some interesting mechanics. The story and characters are def anime as hell, but it's a really solid and fun game overall.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Morter posted:

Ah, sorry. What I mean to say is: Is Smash conducive to playing a round or few during like a coffee break or a bathroom trip.

I make an emphasis on loading times because a game like Project Diva--while having generally short songs, takes a while to load at both the main menu and after you select a song. Hell, even loading different costumes adds a bit of a load time. So, generally, I only play that game when I have about 20-30+ minutes to kill.

If smash took a while to load its assets every time I switched (heh) to it, then I'd want to play at a more dedicated span of time, rather than impulsive quick match.

I haven’t played Smash in a hot minute so I can’t remember how long loading times are for each individual round, but I’d imagine the longest loading times are when you’re loading the entire game, so I’d imagine if you just left Smash open when you put your Switch to sleep so it’s ready to go when you wake it up you should be fine. Assuming the load times for each round aren’t insane.

jackhunter64 posted:

Dominate your return to the office by spending break time wearing this rigout and doing squats while using the pro controller.

:hellyeah:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Smash loads quickly. There's very little wait for online fights, and if it's otherwise once the initial boot-up is past, you're waiting a few seconds at most.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Projectors are cheap as poo poo second hand and you get get pristine ones super easy but tbh the bougie aspect of it is imo having the space to set up a screen. Oh you have a space in your house that's set aside for just one thing? la di da Mr Frenchman. I need that wall space for a pile of nebulous garbage sorry

We don't have a screen. We project straight onto the practically white wall. I suppose we could have more bookcases there but yeah.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Well thats fair enough then but I god dammit being able to go for a piss without removing your headphones is worth the price of admission alone

The things that I hook my headphones to easily fit in a pocket. I usually carry my phone in my chest pocket (button-up shirts) for this very reason. Life's not that complicated though that I couldn't take it off if I had too.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I'm really enjoying CrossCode! I'm just about done with the first non-tutorial dungeon and it's scratching a similar itch as the top down Zelda games, though the combat is much faster paced.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I've only got VC 4 but it was fun enough that I picked up VC 1 also, now. It's got a lot of style and the characters have more going on than I expected at first. At least in VC4 you can freely replay missions and side missions, too, to try new approaches or different characters.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Flying Zamboni posted:

I'm really enjoying CrossCode! I'm just about done with the first non-tutorial dungeon and it's scratching a similar itch as the top down Zelda games, though the combat is much faster paced.

Absolutely loving CrossCode as well. I just wrapped up the first big dungeon. There are so many things to collect/trade/purchase. After seeing how many chests I am missing in each area, there is no chance I am 100%ing this. I am usually rewarded with nicer gear when I find a hard to reach chest, so the game doesn’t waste your time which is nice. There is a surprising amount of height to the zones which opens up some roundabout paths to things.

CrossCode also handles the “you are in an MMO” aspect well with the guild/party features. The NPC parties running around is a nice touch. I only have one NPC I can party with at the moment, but they are a huge help.

In the settings you can drop down the enemy attack speed and damage. You can also slow down puzzle timers. I turned those way down for my kid and he’s having a blast. I didn’t adjust that for my play through, and I am finding some of the battles tough but fair. Dying instantly loads you back to the last door/zone you went through, so it’s not punishing.

Overall a really solid game so far.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I adored CrossCode, there was just so much of it, a significant amount of which you couldn't explore without trying to navigate the verticality of the landscape. Really fantastic game, I just wish it were a little easier to wander around in.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I have dogshit cardio and I always think I am fine because i have always done physical labour for a living and am reasonably outdoorsy for a goon and then I do something like try to sprint from standing and I'm heaving and puking like a marathon runner. Look after your cardio folks.

I'm the opposite, I run like a Thomson's gazelle but have almost no body strength and little interest in changing that although apparently muscle mass plummets after a certain point as you age which can become a capital p Problem for ADLs so I should probably get on that.

Ring Fit seems like a good fit? The cardio options are kind of depressing but I'm usually a little sore the next day from all the crunches and planks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah cardio is just getting your heart rate elevated for a prolonged period of time and most of the ring fit stuff does that well by mixing in a little strength and body weight exercise with fast moving sets and jogging in place.