Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

zedprime posted:

bar that is a trailer prefab

Yeah these also have coolers behind the bar, like you see in gas stations, and everyone is served out of a paper cup because broken glass and metal cans make effective weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Everyone in this thread that keeps talking about funnel cakes being good, and thinks they are superior to elephant ears is dead to me. That’s my Murican opinion.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

What's an elephant ear

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Lots of trumpeting I imagine

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I don't know if I've ever had an elephant ear or funnel cake, but all this talk of fried bread is making me want Navajo bread. I grew up in Arizona and it was always a delicious treat with a little honey, and also great as a Navajo taco.

I haven't had it in 25 years but just looking at that makes my mouth water.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Elephant ears are also called dough boys or just the vague "fried dough" regionally

They're both good, just different.

Funnel cake gives you more surface area crispiness

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Tip posted:

I don't know if I've ever had an elephant ear or funnel cake, but all this talk of fried bread is making me want Navajo bread. I grew up in Arizona and it was always a delicious treat with a little honey, and also great as a Navajo taco.

there's a local place here that does a fast casual chipotle style thing with fry bread tacos and hominy and stuff. very good

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Breathtaking!!

naem
May 29, 2011

zedprime posted:

The real american dream is a bar that is a trailer prefab where you feed raccoons out the front door and buy weed from the staff but they also let you kiss ladies and gentlemen of various skin complexions.

https://i.imgur.com/R9VDFWw.gifv

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

zedprime posted:

The real american dream is a bar that is a trailer prefab where you feed raccoons out the front door and buy weed from the staff but they also let you kiss ladies and gentlemen of various skin complexions.

:911:

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Tip posted:

fry bread is so good and you’ve awakened a very deep craving in me

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I thought Elephant Ears were the Canadian fair version of funnel cakes. The provincial fair (CLE represent!) had Ears but not funnel cakes. I didn't get to try funnel cake until I was visiting my dad in the States and we went to Six Flags or something. The Elephant ears was easier to eat because you could slide it to the edge of plate to take bites until it had cooled down enough to not burn the poo poo out of you.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Caedus posted:

I thought Elephant Ears were the Canadian fair version of funnel cakes. The provincial fair (CLE represent!) had Ears but not funnel cakes. I didn't get to try funnel cake until I was visiting my dad in the States and we went to Six Flags or something. The Elephant ears was easier to eat because you could slide it to the edge of plate to take bites until it had cooled down enough to not burn the poo poo out of you.

Beaver Tails are the Canadian version of fried dough.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Oddly enough my fair never had those, only Elephant Ears. I heard about them on the internet when I was young though, it does make sense that would be our version of it. I wonder if Beaver Tails were an east/west thing?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There is literally a nationwide chain that sells nothing but Beaver Tails. Its name, you ask? BeaverTails.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
Have some dudes in the backwoods of Montana/Militia-Area Idaho custom-fabricating powerwheels toys into insane goofy offroad rigs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k2uLteA14c

spookykid fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 19, 2021

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

McGavin posted:

There is literally a nationwide chain that sells nothing but Beaver Tails. Its name, you ask? BeaverTails.

goth ihop? femboy hooters? no thanks i only eat at Steampunk BeaverTails

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

LifeSunDeath posted:

got kicked out of a bar like this for kissing on my date, who was not white. I never went back to that loving piece of poo poo bar. america is straight trash.

this was the bar:

Good food, good folks, good fun.

Well of the three sounds like the second and third are just loving lies, and I'm assuming the first?

Although good food for the raccoon at least. :love:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Is mudding actually fun like my truck-owning friends in Texas say it is?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: Americana food.

Which part of America uses the terminology "pot stickers" instead of "dumplings"?

I used to have a girlfriend from Indianapolis, and when I went to the US to visit her and we went to a Chinese restaurant she had me completely baffled when she used the term, and didn't seem to know what dumplings were.

We are no longer together, for unrelated reasons.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

halokiller posted:

It is more fun when you actually have to get somewhere and no one will save you if you get stuck completely, exciting stuff.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

BrigadierSensible posted:

Re: Americana food.

Which part of America uses the terminology "pot stickers" instead of "dumplings"?

I used to have a girlfriend from Indianapolis, and when I went to the US to visit her and we went to a Chinese restaurant she had me completely baffled when she used the term, and didn't seem to know what dumplings were.

We are no longer together, for unrelated reasons.

Most dumplings in the American south are considered to be dough without any sort of filling

We have all kind of different names for dumplings depending on what’s inside of it

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Pimpcasso posted:

Most dumplings in the American south are considered to be dough without any sort of filling

We have all kind of different names for dumplings depending on what’s inside of it

i've been all around the country and at different chinese places they have been called dumplings, pot stickers, peking ravioli and i think there was a 4th but i can't remember

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like Bob Odenkirk

schmug
May 20, 2007

Odd posted:

i've been all around the country and at different chinese places they have been called dumplings, pot stickers, peking ravioli and i think there was a 4th but i can't remember

Shumai? Although I only see that when when I go used to be able to go for Dim Dum, but they are essentially "dumplings"

schmug fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 19, 2021

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

midwest fair food staple: the walking taco:

shove a bunch of midwest taco ingredients into a snack-size bag of doritos or fritos and chow down

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Odd posted:

probably gyoza.

american chinese restaurants are a total grab bag of asian cuisines and terms, i don't think there's really anything regional about this one. you can see every one of these names (except "peking ravioli" which i have never heard of) at a place labeled as "chinese" within 10 miles of me

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

carry on then posted:

midwest fair food staple: the walking taco:

shove a bunch of midwest taco ingredients into a snack-size bag of doritos or fritos and chow down

now there's a dumpling

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Potstickers are specifically gyoza that have been pan fried and then steamed to release because, well, they stick to the pot. I grew up in the deep south seeing both fried dumplings/potstickers as a label, and I still see both up here in Canada at the grocery.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Where do they call dumplings Peking ravioli? It needs to be destroyed.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

halokiller posted:

Having done quite a bit of this in my youth (yes, I'm in Texas...), it is immensely fun provided that a) you don't intend to ever clean the truck you use for mudding, b)if you do intend to clean it, you don't mind lying on your back for hours with a pressure washer in all kinds of weather, and c) you own at least one other vehicle. That said, all my mudding was done while running trails, not repeatedly slamming into a giant pit until something breaks.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

In my former life "dumplings" meant balls of dough in chicken soup

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'm fairly certain that almost every culture has their own dumplings and their own fried dough. I can't think of a dumpling I didn't like.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
Love my favorite type of dumpling: the tamale

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I have a two year old son who is obsessed with cars and it's hard if not impossible to find extreme car spectacles here in Northern Europe. Closest you'll find is tractor pulls. I wish I could take him to the automotive spectacles I went to in the US as a kid.

I showed him some Monster Truck Jam videos on the YouTube and they said "this is the world series of MONSTER TRUCK FREESTYLE!!!!" and I lolled cause aside from maybe Canada who else even does monster trucks at a competitive level?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

terminal chillness posted:

Love my favorite type of dumpling: the tamale

Aka tijuana twinkies

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVj5Ld23cjo

I'm am Grant's pineapple tidbits

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Odd posted:

Wonton?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I showed him some Monster Truck Jam videos on the YouTube and they said "this is the world series of MONSTER TRUCK FREESTYLE!!!!" and I lolled cause aside from maybe Canada who else even does monster trucks at a competitive level?

listen bud if you have a problem with the legitimacy of Grave Digger's world titles, you have a problem with me and the entire monster jam community.

Just kidding, gently caress Grave Digger. El Toro for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Monster Truck races are fixed like professional wrestling