Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

pointsofdata posted:

The deficit is back baby!

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1351485645403910144?s=09

Biden should just copy Trump and never talk about it.

does the deficit even matter? we're way beyond the threshold of owing gadzooks! amounts of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

does the deficit even matter? we're way beyond the threshold of owing gadzooks! amounts of money.

not yet, but within the next decade as china overtakes us as a functioning country, yes. once the us is no longer the reserve currency of the world we could be really hosed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

none of my administration in high school had doctorates

i don’t think the principal even had a masters degree; i’m pretty sure the superintendent did

then again we had both a principal and superintendent for a single k-12 one building school system

in many places a masters is required to get a full certification as a teacher so that’s presumably why the EdD exists as a sort of teacher mba

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Broken Machine posted:

not yet, but within the next decade as china overtakes us as a functioning country, yes. once the us is no longer the reserve currency of the world we could be really hosed

reserve currency of the world is a huge bonus but as long as we still have control over our own money the deficits don’t really matter all that much

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

reserve currency of the world is a huge bonus but as long as we still have control over our own money the deficits don’t really matter all that much

once we're no longer the reserve currency, our standard of living is going to plummet. people buy our debt now because they more or less have to. if that's no longer true, a lot of countries and rich people will divest from the us

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

Of course it matters, democrats are in charge again!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Excited for a decade of austerity. Public transit is gonna be the first thing to go.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/22168191/public-transit-funding-future-covid

Welp, looks like the pandemic put the final nail in the coffin of that antiquated, obsolete "public transit" thing, folks. Onward and upward!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
can’t let such an opportunity go to waste!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Broken Machine posted:

once we're no longer the reserve currency, our standard of living is going to plummet. people buy our debt now because they more or less have to. if that's no longer true, a lot of countries and rich people will divest from the us

we don’t have to issue that debt in the first place for most things

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the real power is that a huge amount of international transactions are dollarized so we get to stick our fingers in them

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
money isn't real it is just a concept that is useful for determining resource allocation

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stereotype posted:

money isn't real it is just a concept that is useful for determining resource allocation
It's mainly just useful for allowing sociopaths to gain control of the economy.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

woah woah woah now

that’s private property

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mystes posted:

i mean at this point yeah pretty much. Most money is so far abstracted from any real tangible object that we are essentially just trading Space Bux. Most people don't notice this, since the money they are handling is pretty clearly tied to things (two dollars buys you a cheeseburger, six dollars buys you a six pack of beer, working for one hour gets you $15, etc.), but most money isn't doing stuff like that. Most money is like Collateralized Equity Shares or Stonks or something weird that refers to nothing but gives people doing literally nothing that helps anyone at all the ability to buy ten thousand cheeseburgers a day.

I had a fight with someone that you shouldn't be able to make a million dollars a year because you just are absolutely not doing the work of 200 people getting paid $25/hour full time, I don't care how smart or hard working you are. They kept falling back on that if they were getting that much they must deserve it, in a horrible tautological loop.

It's unsolvable and will definitely collapse under its own weight.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the stock markets themselves are perfect examples of pure ideology

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
money isn't real, but groceries are real, and taxes are real. you can steal the groceries, but at the end of the day you still gotta pay your taxes, and you need some money for that

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
what if instead of making a fortune on owning a factory, i make a fortune exchanging tokens that say i own part of a factory based on speculative appreciation

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
but as a partial owner, the money you spent for those tokens went toward financing some new equipment at the factory! you're not just speculating, you're investing!

except 99.99% of the time your money didn't go to the factory, it went to paying off whatever idiot was speculating before you were

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuHSQXxsjM

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i read his austerity book it was good

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Austerity is an awful idea that has no actual rationale besides "gently caress the poor" and guarantees massive decreases in standard of living for everyone except the very rich

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

i mean at this point yeah pretty much. Most money is so far abstracted from any real tangible object that we are essentially just trading Space Bux. Most people don't notice this, since the money they are handling is pretty clearly tied to things (two dollars buys you a cheeseburger, six dollars buys you a six pack of beer, working for one hour gets you $15, etc.), but most money isn't doing stuff like that. Most money is like Collateralized Equity Shares or Stonks or something weird that refers to nothing but gives people doing literally nothing that helps anyone at all the ability to buy ten thousand cheeseburgers a day.

I had a fight with someone that you shouldn't be able to make a million dollars a year because you just are absolutely not doing the work of 200 people getting paid $25/hour full time, I don't care how smart or hard working you are. They kept falling back on that if they were getting that much they must deserve it, in a horrible tautological loop.

It's unsolvable and will definitely collapse under its own weight.

it’s a huge pyramid scheme except the new investors
who will prop it up for the generation haven’t been born yet

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stereotype posted:

They kept falling back on that if they were getting that much they must deserve it, in a horrible tautological loop.

and man oh man do they start wringing their hands and tugging at their collar and making EHHHHHH noises when you bring up the google chef

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

Austerity is an awful idea that has no actual rationale besides "gently caress the poor" and guarantees massive decreases in standard of living for everyone except the very rich

Out of curiosity does "austerity" have a special meaning in economics that goes beyond "massively cut government services"

I just assumed it was that, but it has occurred to me that economists like to use terms wrongly so I had better ask

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

and man oh man do they start wringing their hands and tugging at their collar and making EHHHHHH noises when you bring up the google chef

The one I always bring up is that the CEO of Jiffy Lube makes $700k a year, while someone actually changing the oil in the cars makes $20k a year. Is the CEO doing as much work as 35 mechanics? Jiffy Lube makes money by changing the oil on cars, so what is the CEO doing that justifies him getting the compensation of 35 people who are actually making the money?

The answer is always the tautology that they don't know but it must be something since they get paid that much. Jiffy Lube isn't even a very egregious example in comparison to most places, but it is very easy to understand.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

trump may be leaving office tomorrow, but my very intelligent state voted in all the chuddiest turds possible for governor, senate, and house. the new gov is considering enacting a sales tax (we've never had one), which is a great way to steal from the poor in a state that has a very low nat'l average income. meanwhile i'm getting mailers from some shithead group promoting right-to-work laws and i've never thrown anything in the trash so fast

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's a pointless thing to argue because they'll all eventually just discover/fall back on "the CEO does important business stuff that makes the whole business run and creates the jobs thus he deserves a cut of the money from every employee" yada yada.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
kinda wish I knew more about how things worked

like for covid we borrowed a whole bunch of money

what’s the difference between that and printing the same amount of money? does the debt pressure from borrowing it give it some kind of magic powers that means it’s less likely to cause inflation?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

It's a pointless thing to argue because they'll all eventually just discover/fall back on "the CEO does important business stuff that makes the whole business run and creates the jobs thus he deserves a cut of the money from every employee" yada yada.
It's the business equivalent of "you sleep 8 hours a day so you should buy a fancy mattress"

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Stereotype posted:

The one I always bring up is that the CEO of Jiffy Lube makes $700k a year, while someone actually changing the oil in the cars makes $20k a year. Is the CEO doing as much work as 35 mechanics? Jiffy Lube makes money by changing the oil on cars, so what is the CEO doing that justifies him getting the compensation of 35 people who are actually making the money?

The answer is always the tautology that they don't know but it must be something since they get paid that much. Jiffy Lube isn't even a very egregious example in comparison to most places, but it is very easy to understand.

also the CEO isn't burning his arms on interstate-hot exhaust manifolds and boiling oil all day long with no breaks

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

Out of curiosity does "austerity" have a special meaning in economics that goes beyond "massively cut government services"

I just assumed it was that, but it has occurred to me that economists like to use terms wrongly so I had better ask

It also technically means raising taxes. It's just a term that describes an attempt by the government to pay down its debts.

Since debts aren't real it always results in reducing the velocity of money and ability of people to do work that is socially beneficial as currency is sucked out of the system

We are in a recession if not a full depression so really we should be doing the exact opposite but boy that giant imaginary number that means nothing is so scary oh no

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My sister told me she had a dream the other night that there was a place called Police Town and it was like a nuclear bomb testing range but for police brutality. Like plywood houses and furniture store dummies everywhere for cops to go in and test new methods of busting down doors and shooting civilians and beating up protesters

A grim omen of the future, I fear

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
austerity means "paying germans money because that's how some of them are making it"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

My sister told me she had a dream the other night that there was a place called Police Town and it was like a nuclear bomb testing range but for police brutality. Like plywood houses and furniture store dummies everywhere for cops to go in and test new methods of busting down doors and shooting civilians and beating up protesters

I think the vagrant holiday guy found this on that Washington prison island

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

echinopsis posted:

kinda wish I knew more about how things worked

like for covid we borrowed a whole bunch of money

what’s the difference between that and printing the same amount of money? does the debt pressure from borrowing it give it some kind of magic powers that means it’s less likely to cause inflation?

lolno

Money isn't real or worth anything. Wealth is a different matter altogether.

If you print too much money people stop trusting your money stays at a price where it's a reliable medium of exchange, which will slow wealth transfer down to a halt, which is Bad. But the US would need to print several trillion dollars all at once to get there during a normal year. Right now? Far more.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

That just a new CoD map

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

lolno

Money isn't real or worth anything. Wealth is a different matter altogether.

If you print too much money people stop trusting your money stays at a price where it's a reliable medium of exchange, which will slow wealth transfer down to a halt, which is Bad. But the US would need to print several trillion dollars all at once to get there during a normal year. Right now? Far more.

if the us ceases to be a major player in the financial world, a good idea of what the future may hold for the us is the standard of living of india. maybe a bit better because we have a third of the population, but without having a strong currency, we'll have much less ability to use our dollars to actually buy things from other countries. like what happened to detroit except the whole country

it depends a lot on if we get a handle on white supremacy and q and such. if we're still casting about like we are right now in a decade, the rest of the world will look elsewhere

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

isn’t the point, that a ceo is worth that much because of the value they bring into the company? like if that ceo manages the business into 2mil more profit than a ceo paid half as much, then the 750k is justified. think of it as his fee for bringing in more profit.

I think they idea that a person turns a $10 piece of timber into a $50 chair and created $40 value and the worker gets $10 and the boss gets $30.. is too simple and doesn’t reflect what really happens because so much value is generated that can’t really be reflected in anything. if elon musk can generate million of dollars in stock value with a tweet, tying it back to anything else is just convenience to keep us slave monkeys content for another week

not that I think that makes it ok or whatever. the entire notion behind publically traded companies have an obligation to only make profit is kinda reprehensible but idk what you’re gonna do about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

also the CEO isn't burning his arms on interstate-hot exhaust manifolds and boiling oil all day long with no breaks

if the mechanics wanted to earn more money and have less burns they’d also be the ceo, but they’ve made their decision