Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I did it. After 15 years, I managed to kill a pair of Sony V6’s. If I cared enough a cable replacement would probably make them good as new; besides the replaced earpads they look as good as they did when I was in high school. Pretty good return on my $80.

That brings me to my question: tell me how to spend my money. It’s been over a decade since I was on Head-Fi (still got my Corda HeadFive) so I’m out of the loop on all these new brands that have cropped up. Besides my dead V6 I have a Grado SR-325i and Beyer DT770-250. That Grado sound signature is my favorite, but they’re too clumsy and delicate to move around while wearing em. The 770s are fantastic for games on my PC and... fine? musically, but plug them into a Xbox One controller and bye bye mids.

So if I were looking for something easy to drive, primarily for listening to music but with a wide soundstage and good imaging for the occasional game (don’t play games often these days), what should I look at? I’ve considered just getting an easier to drive Beyer, but since it’s been so long I thought I’d explore all the new options out there instead of just getting Custom One’s. Aiming to spend <$200.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I did it. After 15 years, I managed to kill a pair of Sony V6’s. If I cared enough a cable replacement would probably make them good as new; besides the replaced earpads they look as good as they did when I was in high school. Pretty good return on my $80.

That brings me to my question: tell me how to spend my money. It’s been over a decade since I was on Head-Fi (still got my Corda HeadFive) so I’m out of the loop on all these new brands that have cropped up. Besides my dead V6 I have a Grado SR-325i and Beyer DT770-250. That Grado sound signature is my favorite, but they’re too clumsy and delicate to move around while wearing em. The 770s are fantastic for games on my PC and... fine? musically, but plug them into a Xbox One controller and bye bye mids.

So if I were looking for something easy to drive, primarily for listening to music but with a wide soundstage and good imaging for the occasional game (don’t play games often these days), what should I look at? I’ve considered just getting an easier to drive Beyer, but since it’s been so long I thought I’d explore all the new options out there instead of just getting Custom One’s. Aiming to spend <$200.

For the money I suppose you should be looking at 58X and 6XX, no? Is there a planar in that budget? Or maybe it’s worth getting a DAC/amp instead to breathe some new life into the power demanding cans that you currently have? Regardless of what you do, the absence of an amplifier is notable for some relatively high-impedance headphones.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I got the Viento ordered so I can share my experience if anyone has any questions about ordering from Hidition after I go through the process. I wanted the CIEM version but decided to go with the universal instead of the custom. I grapple so I have cauliflower ears that can swell and change shape so a custom designed to fit absolutely perfectly could be super uncomfortable and not fit another day depending on my ear injuries.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 17, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I REALLY wanted some wireless headset so I got some Arctis 7 2019 headphones but they sound obviously different than my DT990 (not pro, older variant) and it bugs me.

I mean, they don't sound bad, they just sound muffled. Is this just the difference between open and closed cans?

I want to say it sounds objectively worse, even playing around with EQ settings, but I'm kind of disappointed. Does anyone else have these and know any good settings to give it because :sigh:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm curious about whether most of the people here equalize their IEMs/headphones or if they just run them as is. I used to just run my headphones and IEMs as is. I worried that equalization would end up with more artifacts or noise despite a better looking curve. But since I've been using the Qudelix 5K as an LDAC bluetooth receiver, I've used its parametric equalizer to set everything closer to the Harman targets using Oratory1990s settings. Everything sounds fine but I'm wondering if I should just be running for example my Etys as is for its DF tuning rather than trying to use the Harman target.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 18, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I typically use the in-application equalizer for my music players. I have a preferred sound profile for the kind of music I like and tend to adjust the output to make the headphones match that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I prefer just running the headphones how they sound, mostly because I bought Grados and I want them to sound like Grados.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I like some EQ on my 4XX, planars take EQ very well and I like at least a lil sub bass bump. My old HD580s really benefit from EQ as well. Oratory's presets are a good jumping off point. My DT770s got some physical tuning, I put in a much denser foam disc from an old pair of superlux and replaced the pads with shure 840, which fixes the sibilance for me.

I don't ever EQ my ER2XR though, they already sound like god is licking my brain.

e: btw, etymotic tuning isn't really DF, it's its own thing that I think is much much better.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't bother on any IEMs because my portable streaming solution doesn't have a good way to do it, but on desktop it makes my Q701s soooo much better. They're my favorite headphones across the board when EQd, while I only like them for a few specific thing when they aren't.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apropos of Q701: Has anybody replaced the elastic on them? How annoying of a job are we looking at? I have a set from 2013/2014 and the elastic’s totally failed on them.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I currently use ATH-A700 as my headphones for listening to music at my computer, as well as playing videogames. I've had them for about 10 years and I'm starting to get some intermittent noises that make me think there's a loose connection starting to develop. Doing some brief looking online any possible repair would involve soldering which I don't know how to do and given their price it probably wouldn't be worth it to have some place repair them??

A quick google tells me that the headphones are no longer sold. What replacement options would ya'll recommend?

I do want to stay with a closed style, currently I also have a modmic attached to the headphones for gaming purposes, are any of the gaming headphones with built in mic worth the purchase if I want audio quality and headphone comfort to the same level or better than my current headphones?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

tangy yet delightful posted:

A quick google tells me that the headphones are no longer sold. What replacement options would ya'll recommend?

That's kind of a bummer, those are good cans. Audio Technica still makes that style if you like it, check out the A990Z.

If you already have a modmic you're much better off putting that on a set of proper headphones, gaming headsets haven't really caught up in terms of sound quality except in rare cases.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The ebay knockoff earpads I put on my pair of M50s weren't working well, the pressure wasn't enough and was cauing pain on my ears as the headset dragged down. Not great for how much I wear the dang things.

Ordered some legit Brainwavz HM5s, hoping it'll mitigate the problem. Hoping that the comfort will be better. Thinking now, I hope it's not that the band is stretched. I have a pretty decent sized head and they are still kinda droopy.

I love the M50s but I don't want to rush out and buy another pair if I can avoid it. I wish they'd do an M50 with a better band. The pleather cracks and looks gross really quickly. I've done the paracord wrap thing and it's still not amazing looking.

edit: snapped my m50s arm plastic trying to bend the band back into shape. guess i'm off to go buy my third pair of m50s. they're on deep sale nearby, gladly

well why not fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 18, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

well why not posted:

The ebay knockoff earpads I put on my pair of M50s weren't working well, the pressure wasn't enough and was cauing pain on my ears as the headset dragged down. Not great for how much I wear the dang things.

Ordered some legit Brainwavz HM5s, hoping it'll mitigate the problem. Hoping that the comfort will be better. Thinking now, I hope it's not that the band is stretched. I have a pretty decent sized head and they are still kinda droopy.

I love the M50s but I don't want to rush out and buy another pair if I can avoid it. I wish they'd do an M50 with a better band. The pleather cracks and looks gross really quickly. I've done the paracord wrap thing and it's still not amazing looking.

edit: snapped my m50s arm plastic trying to bend the band back into shape. guess i'm off to go buy my third pair of m50s. they're on deep sale nearby, gladly

urban outfitters has an exclusive purple color variant of the Bluetooth version, which is p. good if you like both M50x’s and Bluetooth and also you’re a bad enough goon to rock shiny purple Audio Technicas.

I too would like to know of good band replacements as mine have gone all flaky and gross as well.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's kind of a bummer, those are good cans. Audio Technica still makes that style if you like it, check out the A990Z.

If you already have a modmic you're much better off putting that on a set of proper headphones, gaming headsets haven't really caught up in terms of sound quality except in rare cases.

Alright thanks, looks like it's not in stock excepting 3rd party markups on amazon, just sent off an email to AT and we'll see what they say.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

Alright thanks, looks like it's not in stock excepting 3rd party markups on amazon, just sent off an email to AT and we'll see what they say.

For some reason all of their over ears of that basic style with the "wing flaps" have been out of stock since late November / early December. Amazon has an estimated ship date of March for one I've been keeping my eye on. I'll be curious to see if they do give you a response.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

urban outfitters has an exclusive purple color variant of the Bluetooth version, which is p. good if you like both M50x’s and Bluetooth and also you’re a bad enough goon to rock shiny purple Audio Technicas.

I too would like to know of good band replacements as mine have gone all flaky and gross as well.

Sadly no Urban Outfitters here, and i am not a bad enough goon to rock shiny purple ATs.

The band will surely get gross on my new set, but I'm seeing weird zippered sleeves on amazon and ali :

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Headband-Compatible-Technica-Headphones/dp/B07K85H6X9

They're weird but probably better than the fix I'd used - shucking some paracord and using the sleeve as a wrap for the headband.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

well why not posted:

They're a bit pricier but I liked the Dekoni Memory Foam replacements the best for the M50.

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/audio-technica-ath-m50x-premium-memory-foam-replacement-earpads-by-dekoni-audio/

I think you can get them cheaper on amazon.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

oops accidentally bought the m50xBT. i have a port-less phone so it's "justified". i wear headphones between 1 - 10 hours a day and get them back on tax at least!

this fresh pair makes me realise how hosed up my old ones were. these are super comfortable and easy to wear. dunno why i was ok suffering the old ones.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Looking for recomendations for a in-ear bluetooth earphones in the UK, under around £60.

That I can buy today and be wearing inside of a week.

I listen almost exclusively to podcasts, maybe 10% is music. Talk and laughter are basically what come through my earphones, though it would be nice to have music not be dire. I wear them everyday, and take them off, and put them on again, about 15 times a day, which appear to lead to every pair I get having some defect way before the warranty is ever due to expire, so my need is eaither for durability, or at least a set I can return super easily when they fail. Preferably not dieing at all, though.

I have to admit, I am not an audiophile. I won't benefit from spending a hundreds on these things.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I use these which I like pretty well. The only thing I'd say against them is that the earhooks on them are horribly uncomfortable to my ears (but can be removed) and if you use the larger in-ear bits they can end up not hitting the charging contacts in the case. The other cheap buds I hear good things about a lot is Soundpeats stuff which are actually on massive discounts on Amazon right now so their current model is only around £22.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have no idea if this is the right place for this but I just upgraded my Galaxy Buds + to the new Galaxy Buds Pro (who the gently caress names these things and why are they bad at it) because I've been doing a lot more video calls for work lately and they seem pretty good so far! The fit is much different from the old ones I had and it's kinda weird to jam them in without accidentally pushing the touchpad but once they're in they feel very secure which is good because my old ones slipped out pretty easily. The active noise cancelling is *fine*, I'm not expecting magic here but I can still hear quite a bit happening outside the earbuds with it on. Call quality sounds good according to my co-workers so that's a plus as well. I'll usually do more casual gaming with these instead of busting out my full headset so I'm curious to see if the low latency mode on these is better than the old ones too. Overall they seem good so far, not sure if it's worth $200 if I already had a pair of the old ones but we'll find out!

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

njsykora posted:

I use these which I like pretty well. The only thing I'd say against them is that the earhooks on them are horribly uncomfortable to my ears (but can be removed) and if you use the larger in-ear bits they can end up not hitting the charging contacts in the case. The other cheap buds I hear good things about a lot is Soundpeats stuff which are actually on massive discounts on Amazon right now so their current model is only around £22.

Hey, thanks for the reply. These Tao things look decent. Good reviews. Have you had them a good while without issue? My problem is everything I buy breaks, not through rough treatment, just intense use.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Funso Banjo posted:

Hey, thanks for the reply. These Tao things look decent. Good reviews. Have you had them a good while without issue? My problem is everything I buy breaks, not through rough treatment, just intense use.

I've had them about 6 months at this point, other than the comfort issues (which I tend to have with earbuds in general because my ears are weird) and the aforementioned charging problem I haven't had any issues in build quality terms.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've got a pair of HD 660S and a JDS Labs Element II DAC/AMP combo unit. It sounds great overall but I've noticed that immediately after picking up the headphones from the desk and putting them on I hear a series of slight popping noises (kinda like when you have a pressure change in your ears). In fact initially I thought it was just my plugged sinuses causing it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've been googling around but haven't found much about what might be going on here, any ideas?

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

What is a good pair of wireless earbuds that last over or near 8 hours.. per charge, or more for under or $40? Are JBLs any good?

Spacegrass fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 19, 2021

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Spacegrass posted:

What is a good pair of wireless earbuds that last over or near 8 hours.. per charge, or more for under or $40? Are JBLs any good?

I wouldn't recommend JBL's. Have had multiple sets die on me for no reason. (though this appears to happen with 90% of buds I buy, so maybe it's just me)

I can recommend these for battery life at a cheap price. My daughter's had them over a year and they're still doing well over 10 hours per charge. She recommends them highly.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Spacegrass posted:

You pretty much won't be finding anything like that. Even at the top price ranges, true wireless earbuds basically never last longer than six to eight hours. It's just a limitation of the design: you can make current batteries only so small before they just can't hold a lot of charge anymore. If you want something that can really last 10-18 hours or more, you'll want something that is cabled-wireless - you know, the sort that has a wired connection between the earbuds and a much bigger battery in the middle. Those can easily last you two full workdays at a time without recharging.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Spacegrass posted:

These claim to have 15 hours battery life, and this review found them to actually work for 12 hours: https://www.scarbir.com/tws/soundpeats-sonic-review

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
If you can get a set of the old-style Plantronics Backbeats Fit they can often be had for under $50

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Since we’re on the subject of earbuds, what’s the recommended ~$200 set? I have AirPods Pro and hate them. Used to have some PowerBeats Sport or something and liked them but lost ‘em. A friend recommended the Bose Sport but I think I want H1 compatible?

Not an audiophile. Have a pair of ATH-AD700 at home I like. Just need something that sounds reasonably good, fits well when running, and easily pairs with Apple.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker

Fly Ricky posted:

Since we’re on the subject of earbuds, what’s the recommended ~$200 set? I have AirPods Pro and hate them. Used to have some PowerBeats Sport or something and liked them but lost ‘em. A friend recommended the Bose Sport but I think I want H1 compatible?

Not an audiophile. Have a pair of ATH-AD700 at home I like. Just need something that sounds reasonably good, fits well when running, and easily pairs with Apple.

The Sony wf-1000xm3 is a good all round that many people like, I really enjoy my pair and they can be had for around 150$

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Funso Banjo posted:

I wouldn't recommend JBL's. Have had multiple sets die on me for no reason. (though this appears to happen with 90% of buds I buy, so maybe it's just me)

I can recommend these for battery life at a cheap price. My daughter's had them over a year and they're still doing well over 10 hours per charge. She recommends them highly.

Thanks. Just ordered them. I seen nice reviews and it's a good price for Sony.
I go through earbuds fast also.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Fly Ricky posted:

The aforementioned Sony WF1000XM3 if active noise cancelling is important to you, otherwise Galaxy Buds cost like half as much and sound as good.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

fadderman posted:

The Sony wf-1000xm3 is a good all round that many people like, I really enjoy my pair and they can be had for around 150$

Wheeee posted:

The aforementioned Sony WF1000XM3 if active noise cancelling is important to you, otherwise Galaxy Buds cost like half as much and sound as good.

Thank you both! On my commute the subway is loud as hell, so I’ll probably give noise cancelling a try (never used it before).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Didn't you say you had airpods pro? Those have noise cancelling.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think it's not toggled on by default, so maybe they just never noticed the option.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

In my experience all ANC headphones have it on by default because they want to showcase how nice it is right away. Airpods Pro certainly do.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, a few days in using the new Galaxy Buds Pro and the battery life I'm getting is nowhere close to the 18 hours with ANC on that I've read I should be getting. As far as I know these were fully charged as of this morning and they died on me halfway through a call just now, like 6 hours after the day started. I had a similar experience yesterday but thought maybe I didn't charge them the whole way, I need to test with ANC off to see if it makes a difference because I can't remember too many times that my old Buds+ straight up died on me like these did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

powderific posted:

Didn't you say you had airpods pro? Those have noise cancelling.

Thanks for this. I had it “off”. May have turned it off when I first bought them or something. No idea. I hate these things for several reasons, but will give the noise cancelling a shot on the commute Monday.