Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't it a thing in the first season of Survivor that the crew had no clue how much food to actually provide so all the contestants lost a dangerous amount of weight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If we're going to talk about early/mid 2000s reality TV then we need to at least mention My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance

quote:

An elementary school teacher named Randi Coy is offered $250,000 for herself and $250,000 for the rest of her family if she takes part in a fake wedding engagement to a man named "Steve Williams," who will also win $250,000 for himself and $250,000 for his family. They have to convince their families of their engagement and get married in 12 days time with all their family members attending and without any of them objecting, in order to win the money. However, what Randi does not know is that Steve is, in reality, a professional actor, whose goal is to make things difficult for Randi.

In the first episode, things get complicated as the fake fiance is revealed to be the very annoying and unattractive man who fits the show's title. The revelation of the engagement to Randi's family intentionally causes tension. The episodes after continue to follow Randi, Steve, and the Coys as they prepare for the wedding. To make matters more crazy, the Coys meet Steve's family.

On the wedding day, Steve and Randi arrive at the altar and proceed with their vows. Randi says 'I do' and when it comes to Steve's turn, he acts emotional and eventually announces that the whole wedding was a setup. At the same time it is revealed that Steve is in fact actor Steven W. Bailey, and his "family" were also all professional actors – something that even Randi did not know. When Steve reveals that "it's fake" and that he is an actor, Randi begins crying.

Because nobody caught on to the entire scheme, and because Randi was unaware that Steve was part of the scam, she and her family were presented with double the amount of money that Randi had expected – $500,000 for herself and $500,000 for her family.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

The best one of those "the contestants think one thing, but there's a BIG TWIST" reality shows, a la Joe Millionaire, was Joe Schmo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joe_Schmo_Show

One one guy was a real "contestant," and he was going to win basically no matter what (I suppose if he did something crazy like assault another contestant he wouldn't win and the show probably wouldn't have aired) and everyone else was an actor. It even had Kristen Wiig and David Hornsby (best known as Cricket from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) before they were famous.

It was amazing watching it at the time, seeing how obviously over the top it all was (breaking a plate...with your face on it...in a fireplace?) but I have to imagine for Gould, it just seemed like a regular reality show.

What is going on?!

Man, I really liked that show. Didn't know they made a second season.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
I have good memories of The Tourist Trap

quote:

This is a reality show where the participants didn't know they were in a reality show.

A group of people from 4 different nations, Japan, Germany, US and England were given a "free trip to Turkey", under the pretext of a promotion of some fake company.

The trip was filmed four times, one time for each nationality.

During the trip, many unexpected events happened, and then we can see how each nationality reacted.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160999/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I remember seeing the initial promos for Survivor. I tuned in thinking that it would be more of a pure survivalist thing where they just dumped some people on an island and we watched them on out-of-the-way cameras like the old David Attenborough Trials of Life series.

Upon discovering it had challenges and voting, I completely lost all interest.

If you want a show like that, the closest I can think of is the History channel series Alone.

They take ten people and they are all alone in their own little site in the wilderness. Not in groups, so not entirely like your initial idea about Survivor,) but that's it. It's them alone filming themselves, no camera crew*. They all have a small set of equipment (I think it's a combo of standard stuff they all get (axe, knife, tarp, pot), and a few things they can choose from to customize, so some might choose to have a fish net, others might decide they want a spare tarp or something.) and it's just a slog of who can live out there the longest, without them having any idea what the other people are doing or even how many are left.

*With the exception of things like dropping them off, and doing their scheduled medical checks/battery and camera footage swap.

The winner only knows they're a winner during what they think is just a routine medical check after the second to last person either taps out or is medically removed. Then the producers surprise them with a family member showing up out of the blue.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the greatest reality show of all time was "daisy of love" on vh1

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Greatest reality show of all time was The Mole.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

The best one of those "the contestants think one thing, but there's a BIG TWIST" reality shows, a la Joe Millionaire, was Joe Schmo.

One one guy was a real "contestant," and he was going to win basically no matter what (I suppose if he did something crazy like assault another contestant he wouldn't win and the show probably wouldn't have aired) and everyone else was an actor. It even had Kristen Wiig and David Hornsby (best known as Cricket from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) before they were famous.

It was amazing watching it at the time, seeing how obviously over the top it all was (breaking a plate...with your face on it...in a fireplace?) but I have to imagine for Gould, it just seemed like a regular reality show.

Season 2 featured minor 90s CBC fixture Jono Torrens.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AceOfFlames posted:

The first season was hosted by Anderson Cooper and it was awesome.

Cleretic posted:

I think we're onto Australia's third attempt at Big Brother, which was only interesting because they were filming when the pandemic hit, so the housemates had no idea what was going on outside.

If you were on a reality show like that and they told you there was a pandemic going on, would you believe them or figure they were super desperate and going for a gimmick? It’s exactly the kind of tacky move that a lot of older shows would have tried.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

hawowanlawow posted:

the greatest reality show of all time was "daisy of love" on vh1

The disrespect for flavor of love is off the charts

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm still salty about one of the clues for that being the world-clocks in the background on one task spelling out the Mole's name in semaphore. Incredibly obtuse, but also really rubbing your nose in it.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Marc Wootton had a couple of shows in this vein.

High Spirits with Shirley Ghostman was ace. He ripped off Derek Acorah and was set to get a second series on a BBC2 when his in-character interview with Jonathan Ross got 350 complaints and he got shitcanned. Absolute cringe-TV and I watched the hell out of it when I was at uni.

He also did a straight series with My New Best Friend which is either hilarious or poo poo and I don't really care to go back and find out.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

If you want a show like that, the closest I can think of is the History channel series Alone.

They take ten people and they are all alone in their own little site in the wilderness. Not in groups, so not entirely like your initial idea about Survivor,) but that's it. It's them alone filming themselves, no camera crew*. They all have a small set of equipment (I think it's a combo of standard stuff they all get (axe, knife, tarp, pot), and a few things they can choose from to customize, so some might choose to have a fish net, others might decide they want a spare tarp or something.) and it's just a slog of who can live out there the longest, without them having any idea what the other people are doing or even how many are left.

*With the exception of things like dropping them off, and doing their scheduled medical checks/battery and camera footage swap.

The winner only knows they're a winner during what they think is just a routine medical check after the second to last person either taps out or is medically removed. Then the producers surprise them with a family member showing up out of the blue.

See also the 2000 BBC series Castaway, where they dumped 30 some odd people on a remote Scottish island with the idea of them forming a community, growing their own produce, killing their own meats, etc. Minimal shore support, all self-filmed, no dumb game show stuff, but I recall there were some hiccups.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AceOfFlames posted:

Oh man, I forgot about The Mole. I was really into that way back when it was airing.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Celebrity Mole was fantastically silly. Erik Von Detton walking through a fake cemetery with Kathy Griffin while repeatedly saying “Oh my god, they killed Kenny”.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DrBouvenstein posted:

My friemd and i still periodically send "what is going on???" gifs to each other when weird poo poo goes down.

AceOfFlames posted:

The mole was cool. I don't remember much of it besides a paintball thing where they had to guard a flag and the contestants having write their greatest fears or something down. Two people got their fears switch so one got locked in a box of spiders, another snakes or whatever.

One dude had to deal with his own fear but he'd written down a joke answer so he got locked in a room and had to listen to the song tiny bubbles all night.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

The disrespect for flavor of love is off the charts

it's funnier to watch meathead dudes compete for the woman than the other way around imo

"I love money" is also good, because it cuts right to the chase

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
One of the worst early 2000s shows was "There's something about Miriam" where a woman was in a dating match challenge and the something was that she was transgender and the men didn't know.

It was panned pretty hard and a few contests sued citing deception.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There were a hell of a lot of syndicated dating game shows in the early '00s weren't there? I can't recall what any of them were called, but it seems like '02-'05 were just rife with them, weirdly it seems like they took the place of syndicated sitcoms for a minute.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Reading is hard so it was probably mentioned. But don't forget that time a group of people were dumped in the woods for a year and the show was cancelled

https://www.eonline.com/news/839173/reality-show-contestants-left-in-wilderness-not-told-show-is-canceled

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was one on Fox where a woman had to choose which of some number of men was her biological father.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

BogDew posted:

One of the worst early 2000s shows was "There's something about Miriam" where a woman was in a dating match challenge and the something was that she was transgender and the men didn't know.

It was panned pretty hard and a few contests sued citing deception.

My one overarching memory of that was straight boys in the school cafeteria agreeing that ‘she is so hot for a man’. Which was promising, I guess.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I looked up the show on Wikipedia and apparently Miriam was found dead in Mexico two years ago in suspicious but uninvestigated circumstances, which makes a show built on trans panic manage to age even worse.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There was one on Fox where a woman had to choose which of some number of men was her biological father.

I was coming here to post about Who's Your Daddy?, whose premise is probably what you're remembering.

Yeah.

quote:

The show's premise was that an adult who had been put up for adoption as an infant was placed in a room with 25 men, one of whom was their biological father. If the contestant could correctly pick out who was their father, the contestant would win $100,000. If they chose incorrectly, the person that they incorrectly selected would get the $100,000, although the contestant would still be reunited with his or her father. This show drew controversy from adoption rights organizations, leading to one Fox affiliate (WRAZ in Raleigh, North Carolina) declining to air the series pilot, a 90-minute special.

The first adoption contestant was actress T. J. Myers. After the pilot finished fourth in the Nielsen ratings for its time slot, Fox decided not to broadcast the other five episodes that had been produced. However, the pilot aired as a 'special' and not as a 'series premiere' so technically the series was canceled before airing an episode.[1] United Press International reported that Myers "guessed which of eight men was her father. She guessed correctly and won $100,000."[2]

There was also the even trashier 2005 series Welcome to the Neighborhood, which never made air.

The contestants would have to choose to live next door to one the following families:

quote:

The Crenshaws - A religious African-American family
The Eckhardts - A Caucasian/Native American Pagan family
The Gonzalezes - A Hispanic family
The Lees - A Korean family
The Morgans - A Caucasian family with a stripper mother
The Sheets - A Caucasian family with heavily tattooed Republican parents
The Wrights - A family consisting of a gay Caucasian couple and their adopted African-American son

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There was also the even trashier 2005 series Welcome to the Neighborhood, which never made air.

The contestants would have to choose to live next door to one the following families:

Wanna see those "republican" tattoos.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'm reading the wikipedia article and I think you've got that backwards - that's the list of contestants, and they were going to try to live on a cul-de-sac full of rich white conservative families, who would judge whether the contestants were acceptable to move in next to them.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

This conversation is reminding me that everyone should watch The Onion's Sex House.

That show, Porkin Across America, and Lake Dredge Appraisal are all really funny satire on reality television.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Lake Dredge Appraisal is so sadly underrated and it’s so loving good.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
There was some reality series in the UK on channel 4 where a village got to decide which of the families who were contestants on the show got to win a house in the village, based on who they wanted to live there. Two families move into the village, the community decides which they like more and the winners each week go through to the final. It was more than a bit grim.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have fond memories of the Sex House thread when it was "airing."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The best VH1 reality show was Tool Academy.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

The best VH1 reality show was Tool Academy.

ya that was fuckin solid too

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKFgn6tNU6w
A video about the terrible Syfy reality show Opposite Worlds.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

muscles like this! posted:

Wasn't it a thing in the first season of Survivor that the crew had no clue how much food to actually provide so all the contestants lost a dangerous amount of weight?

Season 1 they just gave them rice and told them to hunt and gather for everything else. That was the reason Richard Hatch survived in the beignning before he became the "alliance" mastermind - because he was the only one who was good at spearfishing in his tribe. Most people ended up getting very constipated because of this diet.

The next seasons, Australia and Africa, were not on the beach, and that is why I think every season since (at least when I was watching) was next to the ocean. Africa in particular had people getting very sick by the end.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
You're all wrong.

It was 2006 Black.White FX show about taking a black and white family, then giving them "top tier" hollywood race makeup swap.

The white husband was so loving weird, the first thing he did when he saw his wife in the black makeup was start seriously talking about how attractive she looked but in a creepy serial killer way. Also, when pretending to be black in a black focus group about racism he was the very first one to drop the n-word.

Predictably, the black family spent most of the show going "what the gently caress man" to the white family acting like complete morons.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

GoutPatrol posted:

The next seasons, Australia and Africa, were not on the beach, and that is why I think every season since (at least when I was watching) was next to the ocean. Africa in particular had people getting very sick by the end.

They did other ones away from the ocean (I remember Brazil and China being inland) but by that stage they were downplaying the actual survival element.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

GoutPatrol posted:

Season 1 they just gave them rice and told them to hunt and gather for everything else. That was the reason Richard Hatch survived in the beignning before he became the "alliance" mastermind - because he was the only one who was good at spearfishing in his tribe. Most people ended up getting very constipated because of this diet.

One of my favorite early Survivor moments is in Africa when one person all but knew they were getting voted out they decided to eat all the camp's food right before to spite them.

Thinking back to when I watched it, it was kind of funny how the game changed where early seasons if you were useful and helpful you had an advantage because you provided a benefit to keep around, but a few seasons in it became a strategy to vote those people off first so they didn't become a threat, but the result was everyone would be more miserable because one of your biggest sources of camp maintenance and food was now gone.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'd like to recommend Kid Nation, which seems like a good idea until you give it a second of critical thought, and Opposite Worlds, which is rigged just from the premise alone.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Does anyone else remember an early 2000s (like year 2000) FOX reality show called "Boot Camp" or something similar? It was basically just the first act of Full Metal Jacket but with reality show contestants going through some bastardization of military boot camp for the cameras? I remember my middle school friends and I were like, enamored with it for a season because we all had poo poo father figures, and then were surprised when it was canceled went away.

I never bothered to dig up much on it, but if I remember correctly it was part of that cheap/early era of reality shows where you could tell the producers were not safety-minded and didn't realize how exploitative even staged reality shows get, so the contestants really got beat to poo poo. Like bleeding, injuries, breakdowns, the works. My hunch had always been the show got canceled because someone saw it and was like "gently caress no we are so gonna get sued if we run a single frame more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Oh I watched the first season of that. I think the twist on voting was when you got voted off you could take someone down with you? The only thing I remember was near the end one of the old guys was voted out and his reason to take the (most accomplished) female candidate left was as close to "this person is a prissy bitch and I hate her because she's a woman" as possible.