Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Matt Damon cast in unknown role for Thor: Blood and Thunder.

Same role he had in Ragnarok probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

teagone posted:

Same role he had in Ragnarok probably.

It's apparently an actual role and not a cameo. Which means the MCU continuity is ruined now.

Also, for Wandavision:

There are actually a few subtle spoilers/hints in the first two episodes.

A magazine Wanda reads mentions Mephisto in a subheader, there is a small hole in the paneling of the house that has a different wall behind it, the watch commercial is for a "Strucker" brand watch, SWORD logos and papers with faded messages, Kathryn Hahn's character is named Agnes and wears a broach that is exactly the same as the one worn by AGatha HarkNES in the comics, when someone says "the devil is in the details" Agnes mutters “That’s not the only place he is," there's dozens of tiny SWORD symbols on things, the voice on the radio is Randall Park from the Ant-man movies, and the department store in the town is named "Wentworth’s"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Christian Bale is the villain, so not sure who this could be.
I thought it was confirmed that Bale would be playing Gorr the Butcher.

edit: https://www.marvel.com/articles/movies/christian-bale-joins-thor-love-thunder-gorr-god-butcher

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mr. Apollo posted:

I thought it was confirmed that Bale would be playing Gorr the Butcher.

edit: https://www.marvel.com/articles/movies/christian-bale-joins-thor-love-thunder-gorr-god-butcher

Yeah, he is playing Gorr the God Butcher and he is the villain of the movie. I'm saying that it's not clear who Matt Damon is playing, since it is an actual role and the villain is cast.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Yeah, he is playing Gorr the God Butcher and he is the villain of the movie. I'm saying that it's not clear who Matt Damon is playing, since it is an actual role and the villain is cast.

Asgardian Jason Bourne?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Whoever it is, it'll be an underwhelming use of him but we'll get shitloads of puff pieces on how much fun he had on set, as is tradition.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Matt Damon is obviously going to reprise his role as Loki.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Balder? Most of the stuff he did in the comics isn't really tenable at this point, but he might help fill out the horde of faceless nobodies that is Asgard.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Matt Damon is going to be playing himself, filming a documentary on New Asgard.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ah sorry I misunderstood.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Matt Damon is going to play himself trapped on the remnants of Asgard and utterly bewildered by everything that is going on.

In the post-credits sequence he'll be rescued by Deadpool who apologizes for accidentally grabbing "the wrong Dogma guy"

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ImpAtom posted:

Matt Damon is going to play himself trapped on the remnants of Asgard and utterly bewildered by everything that is going on.

In the post-credits sequence he'll be rescued by Deadpool who apologizes for accidentally grabbing "the wrong Dogma guy"

Didn’t Cable already kill Matt Damon in the Foxverse?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Klungar posted:

Didn’t Cable already kill Matt Damon in the Foxverse?

MULTIVERSE.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

and the department store in the town is named "Wentworth’s"

Oh goddamn why am I hoping for a City of Heroes tie-in now

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I mean, the phony in universe advertisments have some pretty clear references to Wanda's past so far. The Stark Brand Toaster starts beeping a menacing red and takes forever to "pop" almost like something else she'd have seen with Stark branding on it as a child (it's a bomb, the toaster is her memories of being trapped with a bomb that doesn't explode). The watch is (Baron von) Strucker branded with a Hydra symbol on it. Presumably we'll get an Ultron reference in the next episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's a LOT of little easter eggs in the episodes so far. In the Bewitched intro there's references to Wonder Man, Grim Reaper, and Bova Ayrshire. Its hard to know if they mean anything or are just there for the comic nerds to appreciate but there's a lot and some of it is certainly gonna come back around.

I also keep rewatching the Marvel Studios intro because there's clips in there I don't really recognize. I wonder if I'm just not remembering them or if they're teasers for upcoming stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still reckon the hilarious end to Wanda's arc is No, More Mutants!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chairman Capone posted:

I love that the premise of Beef House was them thinking "what if someone made a sitcom that had jokes in it?"

Did they really say that? That's incredible.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Everyone posted:

Asgardian Jason Bourne?

Bjorn Jäsun so we can have another point where Thor gets angry at someone with a "sun" surname and says "Know this, Son of Jay..."

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/mikedicenzo/status/1351578428840013825?s=19

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

(a thread) lol

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If Captain America were a real person, and not just an idealized version of a person, he would definitely be a MAGA supporter.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Somewhat unrelated, by why do so many people pick Twitter as their medium of choice to post 500+ word posts? Can't you link to a blog/webpage with the info? Clicking through a tweet and 14 replies is obnoxious.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
gotta them clicks and engagements

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If Captain America were a real person, and not just an idealized version of a person, he would definitely be a MAGA supporter.

That's definitely one outcome but based on my speaking with middle-aged vets he would be a neolib that talked about healing America and the Constitution while voting for the usual gang of Third-Way geriatrics who play footsies with the authoritarians under the table.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hey, he just respects the troops...exclusively the right wing troops.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Snowman_McK posted:

Hey, he just respects the troops...exclusively the right wing troops.

He respects bombs dropped over Afghanistan too!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lib: "you're an evil person! a dangerous extremist who wants the majority of people to eat poo poo. You should eat poo poo instead!"
Con: "wow? telling me I should eat poo poo? Treating me badly because I went to another country and made them eat poo poo before coming back home to try to make everyone else eat poo poo? you dare impugn my actions?"
Lib: "I'M SORRRRRRRY!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Lib: "you're an evil person! a dangerous extremist who wants the majority of people to eat poo poo. You should eat poo poo instead!"
Con: "wow? telling me I should eat poo poo? Treating me badly because I went to another country and made them eat poo poo before coming back home to try to make everyone else eat poo poo? you dare impugn my actions?"
Lib: "I'M SORRRRRRRY!"

I'm not sure which guy in your head is worse :ohdear:

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
I'm curious, as someone who hasn't read much comics outside of a couple Alan Moore works, how different are the various comic book Captain Americas from the MCU interpretation?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

I'm curious, as someone who hasn't read much comics outside of a couple Alan Moore works, how different are the various comic book Captain Americas from the MCU interpretation?

There's no clear answer because Captain America has varied massively over the years. He's been everything from a jingoist flag-bearer to an objector to the government to a far-right rear end in a top hat and everything in between. Generally the one defining trait he has is "unwavering in his convictions."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not sure which guy in your head is worse :ohdear:

Oh. It's the conservative. But the sheer craven cowardice of the lib is very annoying.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

There's no clear answer because Captain America has varied massively over the years. He's been everything from a jingoist flag-bearer to an objector to the government to a far-right rear end in a top hat and everything in between. Generally the one defining trait he has is "unwavering in his convictions."

He was also a nazi a few years back

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

ImpAtom posted:

I see. What about in the last decade or two?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KVeezy3 posted:

Ultimates Cap was a guy likely to post on Freep or mention to someone how Rhodey is 'one of the good ones'. He also had a premarital sex and produced Ultimate Red Skull

Then there was Nazi Hydra Cap.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

KVeezy3 posted:

Captain America has the exact opinions of whoever is writing him. Interestingly he's always correct about everything!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

Some of his most defining stories in the past few decades were probably:

Civil War, where he objected to the Superhero Registration Act and lead a rebellion against it. It ended up with him being beaten up by police and firefighters and then being assassinated on the steps of a courthouse after a lovely reporter yelled at him for not having a MySpace.

The Winter Soldier story which is similar-but-different to what you see in the movies and ended with Bucky taking over for Cap after the aforementioned 'shot on the courthouse steps' thing.

Ultimate Cap who was a right-wing shithead who screamed about "This A on my helmet doesn't stand for FRANCE"

The time he got turned into a Nazi via magic world-retconning.

.. he really hasn't a great decade TBH. He is often good as a supporting character but most of his recent solo stuff has been kinda there. (And a good chunk of that time was spent with Bucky or Sam as Captain America instead.)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I feel like the most interesting Cap related story from the last 20 years might be Truth: Red, White, and Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm still not sure if HydraCap is better or worse than "Caught between life and deathDue to SuperSoldierParalysis, Cap needs this sickass armor TO WALK" Cap.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 20, 2021