Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Welcome to the new Interior Design Q&A thread! To try to provide space for both people who want to laugh at bad design and gawk at fancy interiors and people who want to know if the credenza they found at the antique store matches their house we're splitting the threads.

If you're looking for the zillow search of the day, mcmansion hell conversation, or other interior design casual chat please see Youth Decay's new thread: Interior Design Chat Thread: WTF HGTV

Because this thread is going to be a bit more serious, please be kind to your fellow goons. If you don't like a particular school of design you don't need to shout that at everyone who comes in asking for help with it. Similarly, if someone's asking for help with their hollywood regency interior, please don't tell them they should replace it with contemporary minimalism because that's what you prefer.

Or in short, if someone comes in asking for help, your options are:
1) help
2) don't post

And now, the relevant parts of the old thread OP:

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Who/what are you designing for?
Are you designing for you by yourself, you and your family, or your imagined future home buyers? Most people will tell you that trying to predict the tastes of your future buyers is a big financial risk, especially if you don't expect to sell for several years. Be cautious installing expensive, trendy materials. The HGTVs and Pinterests of the world told everyone to install granite countertops ten years ago, and now home shoppers look at that and go "well we'll have to rip that out right away."

"That's just my taste"
Differing tastes are great! Some people like warm, eclectic spaces with lots of handcrafted details, some people want to live in swedish teak spaceships (yo). The conversation to have in this thread is whether what you think you want is actually what you want, and whether you're taking the right steps to achieve it. The OP of the Bathroom Overhaul thread wanted a "luxury Vegas hotel bathroom," which makes my insides shudder, but it's still something that can be done well if attention is paid to fundamental design theories like color, line, and balance, as well as practicalities about how the space will be used, and how to renovate without killing everyone who sets foot in your home (surprisingly tricky!)

How to Adapt Your Inspiration
One of the big mistakes people make when taking design inspiration from commercial spaces (hotels, restaurants), design publications, or show homes, is that a normal person's everyday home has to be multifunctional in the way other uses of interior design do not. If you only have one bathroom in your home, you're going to be doing more with it than the typical hotel guest does - washing the dog, coloring your hair, hanging underwear up to dry, sitting on the toilet playing phone games until your legs go numb, I don't know your life.

So when you see a room and go "I love that! I want to copy that for my home!" Ask yourself a few questions:

1. Is this space professionally cleaned?
Restaurant kitchens get a surgical-quality scrubdown every night. Hotel bathrooms employ maids who clean dozens of copies of the same bathroom every day and quickly become experts in scraping toothpaste scunge out of vessel sinks.

2. Is this space used the same way I would use mine?
My office has a showpiece of a kitchen, with white travertine counters and high-gloss white cabinets and pleasingly discreet, purpose-built places to stow away coffee cups and everything else people use. It's a joy to be in, but it's also the last thing I'd ever want in my own home, because there's nowhere to scrub a saucepan or store some knives, and even making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in there buys you five minutes scrubbing the counter so nothing mars the glittering white effect.

3. Will the effect be the same if I can't afford high-quality materials?
Pinterest is full of tragic DIY attempts to replicate really expensive luxury interior design touches. If a kitchen in Vogue Interiors has gold-plated cabinet pulls and you can only afford spraypaint, will you be happy with the result? Even something as subtle as choosing the wrong wood grain or stain can throw off the effect of a professionally-designed look. Better to ask yourself what you're responding to about the room - is it the color? The layout? The lighting? The fact that there are no dirty dishes in the shot?

Q: What are these primary/complementary colors people keep talking about?
A:

corgski fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I've designed room layouts for a few friends, and am happy to give it a whirl for anyone in this thread if they are interested - so this is pretty much design-style neutral. I'm not a professional interior designer or anything, but I have a relative who is. I just use roomstyler - nothing fancy. Just basic room dimensions, and size of things like doors, windows, etc. are helpful to have at the start.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Help me thread, I bought a house. Now I need to fill it with my poo poo in a tasteful manner.

Wishlist

1. Clean and crisp.
2. No clutter.
3. Kid friendly.
4. Leaning towards Scandinavian design thoughts.

Specifics
Master bedroom on the ground floor with an attached deck. South facing.
Two bedrooms upstairs. (One for kiddo, one for guests)
2.5 Bath
Open concept living room.

I'm not in the house yet and don't take possession until March. So I've got time to plan and adjust as necessary. Once I have a chance to measure it up I'll get a basic floorplan but for now all I know is it's 2,380 square feet.

Living room as taken from the kitchen. I really dislike the faux finish electric fireplace. It will go away. Taxidermy will also go away.

Kitchen taken from the exact position as above, except 180 degrees. Appliances are all brand new except the fridge. The kitchen is on my list for future renovation, I'm not a fan of the mid 80's oak kitchen styling. Granite countertops are new as well. I wish the beams were left unpainted and had a natural wood finish.

Dining room. Southeast facing corner. Attached and partially covered deck just outside. "Thankful" sign will go away.

Another view of the dining area. Note large closets.

West facing bedroom.

Master bedroom.

Upstairs common area. Will be a central study area/LEGO/play spot for kids and friends.

My skill level is fairly high. I've done bathroom remodels, painted, etc, and have a complete woodshop at my disposal as well as a metalworking shop. Furniture stores are very limited as I live in the hinterlands of far northern Michigan. Realistically we'll probably drive the 6 hours to Milwaukee and hit up Ikea. Beyond that my options are places like Ashley Furniture. My wife has a lot of photography that we'd like to put up instead of generic wall covering kind of crap.

What are your thoughts thread? Initially I'd like to focus on ideas for the living room.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Can you provide pics of the entire living room and approximate dimensions? What do you want the living room to be used for, i.e. what are the major items you would like it to have? Please be as specific as possible if you can, thanks!

The best thing to get down first imo is the sofa, chair, rug etc. placement. that will kind of define the area.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Can you provide pics of the entire living room and approximate dimensions? What do you want the living room to be used for, i.e. what are the major items you would like it to have? Please be as specific as possible if you can, thanks!

The best thing to get down first imo is the sofa, chair, rug etc. placement. that will kind of define the area.

Yes, absolutely. I'm waiting till the closing date to get in and get some measurements, that'll be end of this month. Below are pics I have from the Zillow listing.

Living room goal is a sectional couch, recliner, end table, coffee table, TV/entertainment center. It'll be the general chill out location. Probably some bookshelves too. Family PC/Desk may go in that room or upstairs. We haven't decided yet. In case it matters the existing TV is on the north facing wall, so not a lot of sunshine coming through that side. There was once a Woodstove where the current TV is. I have no desire for a wood stove, but a small propane freestanding stove would be awesome, I just don't know how to incorporate that along with a TV in the space in a way that makes sense. It seems that I'd have two focal points in the room. Maybe once I have some dimensions we can find a way to make it work.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks, I'll try to come up with something pretty basic for now. That reddish sofa in the pic is very bizarrely placed. For those major items, are these things you already own or are you going to buy them? Can you give me approximate sizes? "Sectional" is pretty broad, is this like a sofa with a right or left hand chaise, or something larger like a U shape?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

actionjackson posted:

thanks, I'll try to come up with something pretty basic for now. That reddish sofa in the pic is very bizarrely placed. For those major items, are these things you already own or are you going to buy them? Can you give me approximate sizes? "Sectional" is pretty broad, is this like a sofa with a right or left hand chaise, or something larger like a U shape?

The reddish sofa is quite weirdly placed, I'm not sure why either. We have a single couch but will be getting a new one. We're up in the air right now as to fabric, or suede/leather. We have a chocolate lab and a cat, hair is an issue. Think something like : https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kivik-sectional-5-seat-with-chaise-hillared-anthracite-s89193613/ or https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/finnala-sectional-5-seat-corner-with-chaise-grann-bomstad-black-s19319263/.

This is a terrible approximate mock up. Once I can get an actual tape measure in I'll have something nicer.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
That plan really is the candidate for a room divider. It feels as big as a basketball court

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Keep the deer heads and play roadkill basketball.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yooper posted:

The reddish sofa is quite weirdly placed, I'm not sure why either. We have a single couch but will be getting a new one. We're up in the air right now as to fabric, or suede/leather. We have a chocolate lab and a cat, hair is an issue. Think something like : https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kivik-sectional-5-seat-with-chaise-hillared-anthracite-s89193613/ or https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/finnala-sectional-5-seat-corner-with-chaise-grann-bomstad-black-s19319263/.

This is a terrible approximate mock up. Once I can get an actual tape measure in I'll have something nicer.

I would recommend just starting with the most fundamental item, which is the sofa/sectional etc. and rug. I also added in a tv stand. This is all just placeholder stuff, so I also added in some hideous chairs and a random coffee table. Do not get furniture that actually looks like this. Also there's an end table (the glass thing) and a floor lamp (black circle)

this sectional is 10 feet wide, and the rug is 12x15. I absolutely think going 12x15 is best for such a large room. It's the biggest "common size" rug and would work really well I think. I would probably not get the ginormous kivik. What is your budget for the sectional? You could get a pretty drat nice fabric one for the price of the Ikea leather one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

actionjackson posted:

I would recommend just starting with the most fundamental item, which is the sofa/sectional etc. and rug. I also added in a tv stand. This is all just placeholder stuff, so I also added in some hideous chairs and a random coffee table. Do not get furniture that actually looks like this. Also there's an end table (the glass thing) and a floor lamp (black circle)

this sectional is 10 feet wide, and the rug is 12x15. I absolutely think going 12x15 is best for such a large room. It's the biggest "common size" rug and would work really well I think. I would probably not get the ginormous kivik. What is your budget for the sectional? You could get a pretty drat nice fabric one for the price of the Ikea leather one.

Awesome dude thanks. We're not tied into any particular sofa/sectional right now. The leather is just a good fit as the dog tends to make everything smell like him even if we wash him, and the furniture regularly.

The more I look at the pictures the more I need to get in and get some proper measurements.

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

A philosophical design question. First of all, sorry for the grainy photo, I was genuinely too lazy to take it at a better time of day.

My parents raised me on the strict notion that form follows function. I've definitely rebelled, which is why you can see the edge of an absurd mirror frame in this picture. My question is about light switches and outlets. My parents' philosophy would have left this white switch plate exactly as it is. It performs the function it should, and it's semantically invisible - it "disappears" by virtue of being a common object.

I'm tempted to replace it with something in vintage style/some sort of rubbed brass from house of antique hardware or the like. The dimmer switch can go away, it was never my choice to have that particular fixture dimmable. That gives me some decently early 20th century looking items to choose from.

I'm torn between the impulse that something in a darker finish will be literally less visible against the wall, and the ingrained notion that anything other than plain, functional white electrical fixtures is tacky as gently caress.

Opinions of the crowd?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

White fixtures go well with neutral colored walls, but with yours it definitely sticks out like a sore thumb due to the wall paint color. You don't want people to come into your place and have their attention drawn to the outlets. I think one that is darkish would look much better, like what you mentioned (you could also try matching it to the wood on the right). There's also wall plates that come in a bunch of different colors.

Levitron and Lutron both make ones with no visible screws, which is really nice. That's more of a modern style though.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 20, 2021

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Honestly it feels like you're really overthinking all of it?

The white face plate on a dark wall is going to jump out and get noticed quickly, but we'll process it as a face plate and mentally move on pretty quickly.

Something brass and designed may not jump out at first but you'll have to process and think about what it is more than the white, and ultimately your brain will decide "Does this go with the room?"

And that's the key, if you have one eccentric face plate in a normal room that might seem off. If it ties into other decor and the color palette of the room it can be a pretty cool flourish.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If it bugs you change it, you have every right to enjoy your house.

change it

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Idlewild_ posted:

Opinions of the crowd?

I would at a minimum swap the bright white for ivory, which won't clash so much with the wall and trim and is readily available at your preferred big box for the same low price. It also won't look mismatched the way it does now. You can go antique if you want but cheap antique-style stuff does tend to look tacky, good antique-style stuff is expensive, and real antiques are both expensive and hard to find plus you have all the problems that come with putting that stuff in your electric. Also kill your parents(' design sense.) Creating a comfortable environment that supports your desired use of the room is part of the function of home furnishings.

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

Right, it's getting changed. Probably to expensive reproduction. I appreciate the input!

Overthinking small decisions is what I do. It's been saving my sanity during these unprecedented times.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Idlewild_ posted:

A philosophical design question. First of all, sorry for the grainy photo, I was genuinely too lazy to take it at a better time of day.

My parents raised me on the strict notion that form follows function. I've definitely rebelled, which is why you can see the edge of an absurd mirror frame in this picture. My question is about light switches and outlets. My parents' philosophy would have left this white switch plate exactly as it is. It performs the function it should, and it's semantically invisible - it "disappears" by virtue of being a common object.

I'm tempted to replace it with something in vintage style/some sort of rubbed brass from house of antique hardware or the like. The dimmer switch can go away, it was never my choice to have that particular fixture dimmable. That gives me some decently early 20th century looking items to choose from.

I'm torn between the impulse that something in a darker finish will be literally less visible against the wall, and the ingrained notion that anything other than plain, functional white electrical fixtures is tacky as gently caress.

Opinions of the crowd?

Ever notice the electrical outlet covers in art museums that are hand painted to perfectly match the grain of the surrounding marble? A gallery serves a different function than a living room, but I don’t think the art museum outlet covers are tacky because they aren’t white.

An ivory outlet cover would be just as functional as the current one, so it seems like a one for one replacement and not a sell out to form over function. I’d say go for it. Go for polished brass if you like tacky 80s design as much as I do.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Idlewild_ posted:

Opinions of the crowd?

Do you ever intend to plug something in here at light switch height? It seems like an awkward place for an outlet. Imho, relocate the outlet down near the floor and patch the hole, then get a cool antique switch plate.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

would a chair angled in the same orientation as this arrow work? I'm still working through my living room. I have no idea when the corner rug chair works and when it doesn't. Everything in the pic is pretty much sized as it is in real life, but the colors are wrong on some things since some of my stuff wasn't in room styler, so I'm really just asking about placement. It might be a cool to have a rocking chair there that isn't too narrow, like this

https://www.bludot.com/buttercup-rocker.html

or an eames rocker https://www.dwr.com/living-rocking-chairs-recliners/eames-rocking-shell-chair/2197712.html

most actual armchairs are too large for the space.

major stuff I have or am getting very soon

https://www.bludot.com/the-new-standard-78-sofa.html in maharam mode intaglio
https://www.bludot.com/right-on-rugs.html 6x9 color mix 1
https://www.dwr.com/living-media-storage/aura-media-unit/1198.html?lang=en_US in walnut/granite
https://www.dwr.com/lighting-floor/elise-floor-lamp/525.html?lang=en_US black base, 60" (top right corner)
https://www.dwr.com/living-side-end-tables/circoe-table/2197483.html?lang=en_US in blue
https://www.bludot.com/hecks-ottoman.html in charcoal for in front of the sofa

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

kreeningsons posted:

An ivory outlet cover would be just as functional as the current one, so it seems like a one for one replacement and not a sell out to form over function. I’d say go for it. Go for polished brass if you like tacky 80s design as much as I do.
I do like tacky 80s design. I need to lean in to designing for my entire self and no-one else, which is a surprisingly hard habit to develop.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Good morning, I'm going to cross post this into the wood working thread too so pardon the double post.

As all of you are aware since you've been waiting with baited breath for me to post updates, I'm building a bar.

The bar itself is done, picture this but the kick plate is in.

So now I'm dealing with the rest of the room.

I was originally going to put in a high top, but I realized I have a card table in the basement that would work pretty well with the room.

The issue I have is that it isn't *that* nice. So my question is do I ship of thesus this card table? I like the shape, I like the insert, I like the trays and the cup holders, but I don't like the finish of the wood and I hate the legs.

I have no idea what the wood is, but there's not much character to it, so even sanding and re-staining wouldn't do much. Do I go buy some nice walnut (I'm thinking with everything else in the room being oak, it would be too much to do the table in oak too) and remake it to be nicer? (and buy chairs to match?)

Other wood species? new legs and just paint it?

Edit:
Here's what the legs look like, they fold up and you can see the hinges. It also just looks kind of like it's on stilts, I'd want something sturdier looking

Edit 2
I brought the table upstairs here’s the room.

https://i.imgur.com/km5SLFO_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 22, 2021

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
the walls in my new room aren’t flat white like literally everywhere else i’ve lived before. two walls are olive green, and two are tan. i’m kind of a grayscale freak who doesn’t know how color works, so most of my furniture is either black or white, though i have a dark brown desk. i feel like this look is a bit overwhelming, maybe because it looks a little “military” to me, so i’m looking for a change. which colors would you suggest for curtains? the window (68x44”) is against the olive green wall, and the trim is white.

as an aside, the sill is deep enough to sit in, which rocks

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nishi koichi posted:

the walls in my new room aren’t flat white like literally everywhere else i’ve lived before. two walls are olive green, and two are tan. i’m kind of a grayscale freak who doesn’t know how color works, so most of my furniture is either black or white, though i have a dark brown desk. i feel like this look is a bit overwhelming, maybe because it looks a little “military” to me, so i’m looking for a change. which colors would you suggest for curtains? the window (68x44”) is against the olive green wall, and the trim is white.

you need to post some pictures

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

actionjackson posted:

you need to post some pictures

i’d rather not, if possible

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 23, 2021

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

nishi koichi posted:

Can we put a color wheel in the OP?

Dark red or maroon curtains would complement an olive-green wall.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

cream curtains or blinds imo

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Youth Decay posted:

Can we put a color wheel in the OP?

Done. I'll write up a better primer on color theory once it's not 1 AM and put that in as well.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nishi koichi posted:

i’d rather not, if possible

I mean okay, but it's hard to evaluate anything related to color without this.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

There are plenty of online tools that you can use to get a feel for the color without posting actual photos of your apartment, which I totally get. https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel is one. I remember there were some websites that generated color palette with an algorithm or AI but I can't find them.

Here's your existing palette with some common varieties of olive, tan, dark wood.

Here it is with maroon and ivory

I'd go with ivory. Maroon may be ok too if the maroon + olive combo doesn't remind you too much of Christmas or a WWII era military uniform. I also think gold curtains might look ok but I don't want to vomit up too many color palettes in one post.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I get that, but color doesn't look accurate online. The best thing you can do is take pictures with a really good camera, and then get samples of other colors and compare

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

actionjackson posted:

I get that, but color doesn't look accurate online. The best thing you can do is take pictures with a really good camera, and then get samples of other colors and compare

Asking for pictures, but declaring color doesn't look accurate online?

I'm on team ivory/cream based upon what was described.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 23, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

Asking for pictures, but declaring color doesn't look accurate online?

I'm on team ivory/cream based upon what was described.

I'm talking about the renders that companies put of their paints online, they are pretty terrible

getting samples and putting them on the wall, and taking good pictures of that is the best option that is not in person

for curtains, you should be able to get fabric samples as well, so I would definitely recommend that to put up against the wall

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 23, 2021

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Also it’s sometimes worth it to buy a piece of dry wall to test paint on instead of taking a leap of faith on your walls.

We just painted our kitchen and most of the pictures from the paint company themselves look nothing like how it appears in our kitchen.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yep, when my friends in Seattle were deciding on wall paint, they ended up getting 7-8 different samples and painting 2x2 foot squares of each before deciding, and they also commented the colors weren't remotely close to what they thought they'd look like

if you know you are going to paint, doing it right on the wall is no issue since it will be covered up soon, and you can see how the color looks with your specific lighting situation

I've done samples with paint, sofa fabric, rugs, ottomans and mini-blinds and it definitely helps a ton

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 23, 2021

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

That’s all true about the limitations without actual photos. OP should recognize they’re only getting basic color theory with a little guess work.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We painted 2'x2' squares of lining paper so we could see how they looked on different walls and in different light and quickly mix and match. Would recommend.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

We had about a dozen colors on our wall in the foyer for a while. Not only do colors look different on your actual wall and adjacent walls, but different lighting at different times of day can change the look and feel, too.

Here's the colors we had on the wall (picture was of a bike, swatches just happened to be in the picture)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sorry for the double post, but I was looking at the old picture above and realized that section of the house has changed significantly in the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

meatpimp posted:

Sorry for the double post, but I was looking at the old picture above and realized that section of the house has changed significantly in the past few years.

I like the color you picked