Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It does but the coverage is quite low even in London and gently caress storing a load of poopy cloth and then putting it in the washing machine. we got some 100% bamboo nappies which are quite good and assuage some of the guilt about the rubbish produced.

We have bamboo nappies and microfibre liners, once you sluce the poo down the toilet you arent really left with much tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

evil_bunnY posted:

This is not why most people shouldn't have kids in their 20s tho

i could barely afford to keep just myself alive in my 20s lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i could barely afford to keep just myself alive in my 20s lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'm spending my late 20s buying stupid poo poo I don't need much to the dismay of my partner/friends/family. Like the dude who used his stimulus check to buy a master chief suit.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm spending my late 20s buying stupid poo poo I don't need much to the dismay of my partner/friends/family. Like the dude who used his stimulus check to buy a master chief suit.

material possessions - the little known one true source of contentment

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do you guys constantly correct your kids bad use of english?

some people say that it’s classism to judge people
poorly due to poor english skills, and perhaps that’s true, but that is a different issue, and is no reason not
to encourage high standards in your children english. at least imo.

also politeness. people often tell me my kids are polite, but it’s nothing special, I just guess the overall standards out there are low? anyway I like to think other parents and teachers etc are more welcoming to kids that are politeness and show appreciation.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

no, i let a lot of slang slide unless it's pretty egregious.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
manners are a must in our household. we don't give a gently caress about slang.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
slang isn’t poor english it’s just coping with the modern world

bad english is “how much apples can I have?”

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
It's classist to say one pronunciation is right and the other way is wrong. It's whitewashing to say that in our culture we don't pronounce things one way vs another.

Dialects exist, and you will speak ours for as long as we're teaching you how to speak!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

echinopsis posted:

do you guys constantly correct your kids bad use of english?

some people say that it’s classism to judge people
poorly due to poor english skills, and perhaps that’s true, but that is a different issue, and is no reason not
to encourage high standards in your children english. at least imo.

also politeness. people often tell me my kids are polite, but it’s nothing special, I just guess the overall standards out there are low? anyway I like to think other parents and teachers etc are more welcoming to kids that are politeness and show appreciation.

what age are they? because replying “I don’t know, can you?” to a teenager when they ask if they can do something versus correcting a toddler’s words into a complete sentence are very different.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i swear a lot explicitly because my parents punished me for it as a child

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my kids dont really have a problem with bad grammar and idk if it's really a thing but i chalk this up to never babytalking at them when they were toddlers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in 20 years the only swear words are going to be stuff like the n word

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

my kids dont really have a problem with bad grammar and idk if it's really a thing but i chalk this up to never babytalking at them when they were toddlers

a lot of current parenting guidance is emphasizing using complete sentences with proper grammar and not using sentence fragments for baby talk so there’s probably something to this

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfWMs_0wd_g

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if you invent a babyproof bowl someone will just invent a worse baby

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

yeah it’s this always

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I always interject with irregular verbs/plurals when my daughter messes 'em up just because that seems like the easiest way to learn them, but as long as her meaning is clear I don't interrupt her speech otherwise. When she starts learning stupid memes from her friends at school in a few years I'll probably work harder to teach her about register/when it is okay to talk like an idiot so she doesn't grow up like one of my wife's terminally online friends who literally used the phrase "well hello thar [sic]" in a cover letter a few years back.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Thief steals car with 4-year-old inside, drives back to return boy, scold mother

https://www.wtoc.com/2021/01/18/thief-steals-car-with-year-old-inside-drives-back-return-boy-scold-mother/

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm not sure I remember my 20s,early or late, probably because a lot of stuff was just the same so there's not much of a range of stuff to remember

also I was drunk a lot of the time. Or more than I am now anyway, because I was getting paid pretty well, had very little in the way of actual responsibility and had friends in a similar situation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

what age are they? because replying “I don’t know, can you?” to a teenager when they ask if they can do something versus correcting a toddler’s words into a complete sentence are very different.

yeah I’ve always thought that one was pedantic

sometimes people say stuff that’s aggressively wrong, used to work with a girl who would say “I seen those people go into a shop” and it was horrible and she was also stubborn and hated change so nothing was gonna work there lol

rotor posted:

my ex wife still talks to them like they’re not peers, not so much sentence structure but just her tone. it’s weird.

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

I told my kids they’re allowed to swear once a day 😂 in reality, being able to control your language depending on the company is extremely important, when you’ve got literal blue collar workers swearing constantly in the line at the pharmacy around all sorts of people including older ladies* you know they lack the ability to hold back when it matters

*not that I have some kind of illusion, old ladies probably saw the end of the war and probably put up with a lot of domestic abuse etc, I doubt swearing is going to shock them, but there’s something to be said about respect I am sure.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i mean if my parents didn’t want me to swear then they shouldn’t have willfully made me grow up in rural poverty hell where all my peers already swear a lot and by making it taboo at home i’ll just double down when i’m with peers and here i am today

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

the high comedy my 3 year old came home with the other day is waving your rear end at someone and saying "myyyyyyy boooooootyyyyyyyyy"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

i’ve mentioned before, possibly in this very thread, that we don’t make a big deal out of it when our seven year old swears. consequently, he hardly ever does it.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I wasn't even allowed to say "shut up" as a child

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
coming back to parenting age chat, i've come to two conclusions from mine and other parents i know experiences.

1) nature has made it where humans are biologically optimized to be parents in their 20s
2) societies have made it where humans are financially optimized to be parents in their 30s/40s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

i’ve mentioned before, possibly in this very thread, that we don’t make a big deal out of it when our seven year old swears. consequently, he hardly ever does it.

my 9 year old hates swearing and tells me off lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echinopsis posted:

when you’ve got literal blue collar workers swearing constantly in the line at the pharmacy around all sorts of people including older ladies* you know they lack the ability to hold back when it matters

ahh yes, in the line at the pharmacy. truly the one place one should never utter a cuss

Stringent posted:

coming back to parenting age chat, i've come to two conclusions from mine and other parents i know experiences.

1) nature has made it where humans are biologically optimized to be parents in their 20s
2) societies have made it where humans are financially optimized to be parents in their 30s/40s

1 is absolutely true with respect to physical development, but i don't think it is with regards to mental development, and that's not just culturally-bound. it's way easier to be chill in your 30s just due to how hormones and brain development and stuff works out.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

a lot of current parenting guidance is emphasizing using complete sentences with proper grammar and not using sentence fragments for baby talk so there’s probably something to this

i dont think it's true. it makes a lot of sense intuitively speaking, but i am rather certain it's a fad. i say this because i (and some people i know) bought into it 100% and our admittedly small sample size is coming back "that poo poo doesn't matter".

that said, there's probably a lot of other good reasons to talk to your kid like a human instead of a puppy; i just don't think that whether you did baby talk at 12mos actually matters, especially compared to how they were talked to at 3, 4, etc.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

ahh yes, in the line at the pharmacy. truly the one place one should never utter a cuss

:rolleyes: it’s just a good example of a general public place where acting in a manner that’s respectful of everyone around them is considered polite. weird that you kind of made it seem like it was unreasonable or something.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Achmed Jones posted:

1 is absolutely true with respect to physical development, but i don't think it is with regards to mental development, and that's not just culturally-bound. it's way easier to be chill in your 30s just due to how hormones and brain development and stuff works out.

i intentionally left out mental development since it varies so much by individual and culture.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

lol that reminds me of that story of a danish thief snatching a cargo bike in front of a cafe, noticing there was a sleeping kid in there he hadn't noticed, and leaving the bike at the 5-0 station instead.

hobbesmaster posted:

what age are they? because replying “I don’t know, can you?”
that's literally just being an rear end in a top hat. I mean I still do egregious poo poo (when my kids half-listen to a convo and "what?" in the middle of it, I jokingly "what?" them back) but you don't need to be so loving adversarial about it.

Corla Plankun posted:

I always interject with irregular verbs/plurals when my daughter messes 'em up just because that seems like the easiest way to learn them
I never cut them off (because do as I do etc) but I make an effort to reuse the same verb/plural/etc in my reply so they hear the correct form.

In this house we say "zip it". RESPECTFULLY.

Achmed Jones posted:

that said, there's probably a lot of other good reasons to talk to your kid like a human instead of a puppy; i just don't think that whether you did baby talk at 12mos actually matters, especially compared to how they were talked to at 3, 4, etc.
I don't know about grammar but for non-native languages hearing them ASAP makes a provable, massive difference.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 20, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
so, i've only been in Tokyo with my kids, but comparing notes with my parent friends back in north carolina it seems like it's almost freakishly difficult to socialize your kids properly over there (pre-covid).

like here there's government licensed nurseries available for kids from like 6 months old to 5 years old at which point they transfer to elementary school. so pretty much from the cradle they're all bumping up against other kids for a least a few hours a day. once they hit elementary school there's parks all over the place so neighborhood kids will congregate at whichever one's nearest, which probably means they all go to the same school and know each other so it's really easy for them to get gangs together and do kid poo poo without any adult supervision.

it's not just like that in Tokyo either, i got friends here that live out in the countryside and their neighborhoods are set up like this as well, but in NC at least it seems like for kids to interact outside of school they have to be driven somewhere so they just end up playing video games all day most of the time. is it maybe better in more urban places in the US?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

trying to find somewhere your kids can socialize outside the home in America is so loving hard it's unbelievable

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

literally every public space is accessible by car only, or vulnerable to cars driving on it, or is in some way spoiled by cars, and I'm saying this from one of the most walking-friendly cities in the US

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

being a parent in America is incredibly tiring because at no point prior to about 12 years old is it socially acceptable for your child to be on their own anywhere but their own back yard

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
boomers were terrified of their lead addled peers killing kids so they ruined everything

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lol i would've had my rear end slapped clean off if i dared to say that to my mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

rotor posted:

being a parent in America is incredibly tiring because at no point prior to about 12 years old is it socially acceptable for your child to be on their own anywhere but their own back yard

that sucks poo poo.

they've got the park nearest to the house shut down for a while doing repairs so the 8 year old is just riding his bike to the next nearest one, half a km or so away. he's actually super hype about it because it gives him an excuse to go to the convenience store on the way home and buy a soda.