Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Truman Peyote posted:

airgap didn't work for the Iranian nuclear program, not sure why it would for British nuclear subs
*sneaks onto british sub somehow*

*sticks usb drive with skull and crossbones sticker into the commander’s computer*

*it’s running nt4, no usb support whatsoever, disk not recognized, cozpop.exe fails to load*

FOILED AGAIN! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

wasnt there some controversy a few years back because the US navy was paying microsoft a shitload of money for, like, a windows NT 3.5 patch or something

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

wasnt there some controversy a few years back because the US navy was paying microsoft a shitload of money for, like, a windows NT 3.5 patch or something

more than a few years back.

these systems are basically appliances, and you're not allowed to interact with them, unless you're a technician, with specialized hardened environments.

here's something to lol about : the navy's smart ship program was an experiment in replacing complex command systems and automating certain manned positions with assistive hardware. in the late 90s there was a huge uproar about how the navy paid MS $$$$ to make their ships smart and it caused a ship to shutdown for a few days.

but that uproar was almost entirely caused by unix vendors and journalists who were "out" to "get" microsoft (remember, they had a really bad rep in the late 90s - all deserved). a serious show stopping bug on early tests of an ambitious plan to modernize ships was to be expected. I can't judge if microsoft did a good job or not (probably not), but it makes me lol how stupid the whole thing was.

oh and then various navies kept using xp. forever. lol. fckgw

blink polyfill fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 19, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

they should use Linux on submarines to make them undetectable by sonar

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Nautilus is not responding to pings
Are you sure you have the correct subnet?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The Nautilus is not responding to pings
Are you sure you have the correct subnet?

ramius@redoctober:~$ ping -c 1 dallas.navy.mil

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Glorgnole posted:

love it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Glorgnole posted:

:hmmyes:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Volmarias posted:

Wouldn't they be fine with an airtight network? I'm sure there's been a lot of money sunk into this, so as long as they made sure there's no leaks it's fine.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Truman Peyote posted:

Lol, remember when it turned out that the british navy was still running "windows for submarines", which was basically just win XP, in like 2016 or something?

things like this should involve long term support contracts that ensure they still get security and bugfix updates for the lifetime of the contract, and complete access to development/build/test environments so everything can be both audited and fixed as needed by the navy itself

that would require the nation and navy and companies involved to be competent, of course, and also to be aware of what it means to be competent in the areas necessary

(I wonder if Russia or China run commercial systems built by American companies in their militaries)

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I feel like we're missing the funniest part, which is the phrase "windows for submarines"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Who lives in a submarine under the sea?
Windows XP!
Two decades old and installed by CD?
Windows XP!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Windows XP!
Windows XP!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Windows XP!
Two decades old on 40 floppies!
Windows XP!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Windows XP!
Windows XP!

aye, aye, clippy!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
they all definitely have bliss as the wallpaper too

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There is literally nothing in a high-tech submarine that needs to run on anything newer than DOS.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Windows XP!
Windows XP!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
If nav table nonsense is something you see
Windows XP!
Press the wrong buttons and BSOD
Windows XP!

Windows XP Windows XP Windowwwwws Ex Peaaaa!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i never saw the genius

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

#wow #whao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
frodo degrasse tyson: why don’t the eagles just fly the ring to north korea?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
only listen to noel desoil holyfield

https://twitter.com/comedybangbang/status/722800631342182403

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There is literally nothing in a high-tech submarine that needs to run on anything newer than RT-11.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

so listen to this:

twelve-bit personal computers

this is a “DECmate,” aka VT278

it’s the second generation of combined terminal and PDP-8; the previous model combined a VT52 with a PDP-8 and was called a VT78

it was sold primarily as a word processing system, though there was other software including software for development targeting “real” PDP-8 systems

the PDP-8 architecture has a very simple instruction set: no stack, no subtract, no bitwise OR (gotta rely on (A ∨ B) ⇔ ¬(¬A ∧ ¬B) for that), only either PC-relative, zero-page relative, or memory-indirect relative references with 7-but displacement…

and a 12-bit accumulator and program counter (with some extended addressing support, though of course the smallest systems wouldn’t have or use it)

fortunately it’s a word- rather than byte-addressed system, so the VT278 comes with 32 kilowords and a “large” PDP-8 supporting many users could have up to 128 kilowords of core or semiconductor memory and even a paged MMU with support for swapping

many systems swapped to DECtape, since it was random access, or to floppy

some folks at DEC and Carnegie Mellon found the cost and overhead of the IBM System/360 as a timesharing system offensive, and created the TSS/8 operating system to demonstrate that you didn’t need all that crap just to have an interactive system supporting many users at terminals

eventually DEC decided, as part of their attempt to compete with other personal computers (after first insisting they were a fad not worth paying attention to), to try a three-pronged strategy: they simultaneously released a personal Z-80 system (the Rainbow), a personal PDP-8 system (the DECmate II), and a personal PDP-11 system (the DEC Professional); the latter two could also take a Z-80 softcard and also run CP/M software

all of these systems also looked identical in their giant deskside cases, and they could mostly share peripherals, but they were completely different to run and use

oh, and these systems all came with an RX50 dual 5.25in floppy drive as standard equipment—but one that shared a spindle between the two drive mechanisms, so you didn’t get the performance of other dual floppy personal computers

eventually there was also an 8088 or 8086 card for the DEC Professional series, too, that could be used to run MS-DOS software—as long as it was actually written for MS-DOS and not the IBM PC, of course, since the hardware was all different

just a masterful strategy all around

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the paths not taken at the dawn of the pc era are infinitely fascinating

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I was half wrong about the DEC Rainbow, it wasn’t just a Z-80 CP/M system

a stock Rainbow had an 8088 as well and could also run CP/M-86 and MS-DOS, and a whole 64KB (later 128KB) of built in memory

it was in the same case as the DECmate II (PDP-8) and DEC Professional (PDP-11)

they also all used the same LK201 keyboard as the VT220

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The last version of RT-11 came out in 1998.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
Magic the gathering online exchange

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mark karpeles did nothing wrong

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

mark karpeles Japanese prison fitness program

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
i just remembered my friends and i would scam people on rune scape by offering 100k gold for top tier armor or whatever and then in their excitement to accept wouldn't notice that we'd removed 99,900 gold from the trade just before they'd hit ok making the trade go from 100k to 100 and the k wasn't very visible lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

scroogled

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Forums Medic posted:

i just remembered my friends and i would scam people on rune scape by offering 100k gold for top tier armor or whatever and then in their excitement to accept wouldn't notice that we'd removed 99,900 gold from the trade just before they'd hit ok making the trade go from 100k to 100 and the k wasn't very visible lol

daoc solved this by having a 3 second cooldown timer when trade windows were adjusted. well done

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
What's daoc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a very old mmorpg that will not die because the pvp action is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007