Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tao of lmao posted:

If people want to discuss dnd in imp zone they can make a dnd (or pathfinder or whatever nerd poker you prefer) thread in imp zone. They seem fine there.

All right, I'll make the DND/Other Tabletop thread because this was such a good idea last time.

Currently not playing much, only doing a few sessions of DND4E and Tormenta (Brazilian RPG). Wish I could get a group for LANCER because I think it kicks rear end but can't find many groups for it that can do on my times... Any other imps playing TRPGs as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So is this where you make dark covenants with imps? :shobon:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the closest thing ive played to a tabletop rpg is betrayal at house on the hill op

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

This thread dumped out of my rear end while I was on top of a speeding train fighting alien ninjas. Topic Locked.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wormskull posted:

This thread dumped out of my rear end while I was on top of a speeding train fighting alien ninjas. Topic Locked.

Oh look, a troll. How about some freaking acid and fire damage to surpass your regeneration, biznitch?

BoastfulVirus
Jun 13, 2013

trying to jack off posted:

the closest thing ive played to a tabletop rpg is betrayal at house on the hill op

Pretty fun game. The players can get really hosed around though some games.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

this game is absolute gas, imo, especially to play with my casual friends who dont game often

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

sounds like we need a betrayal night on tabletop simulator since everyone agrees it kicks rear end

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I like tabletop games but I have no idea how to do that on computer

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

tabletop simulator on stem is the best way, insane guys have coded every single gane into it

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The most fun I've ever had playing an rpg is with Mages. A lot of the White Wolf rpgs can be cool if you play with the right group.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

i think 2/3rds of the games i've played have gotten hosed up because the traitor misread a rule and nobody else can see their stuff to correct them

still a fun game tho

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

little munchkin posted:

i think 2/3rds of the games i've played have gotten hosed up because the traitor misread a rule and nobody else can see their stuff to correct them

still a fun game tho

tbh that's on brand with it, it's both poorly written and horribly balanced

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

the gloomhaven pc port (?) is well done and i'm looking forward to them finishing the campaign

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

NienNunb posted:

The most fun I've ever had playing an rpg is with Mages. A lot of the White Wolf rpgs can be cool if you play with the right group.

Turning rules lawyering into a feature since vampires were cool

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

tabletop simulator on stem is the best way, insane guys have coded every single gane into it

yeah. it has a bit of a learning curve but it's definitely worth it, and every game you can think of has someone who coded that game into it to make it easier.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tabletop sim is best for board games, though. for D&D (and pathfinder, etc), i recommend Roll20. it's got the same learning curve but it does all the dice rolls for you if you put in a character sheet (it has a built in camera/voicechat thing, but use Discord instead). it has a free version and a pro version but i've never needed the pro version for any useful feature. for collectible trading card games, untap.in is free, great and has a deck importer that gets along with most websites you'd use to build decks. you can only save 10 decks at a time, but that should be more than enough.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Plutonis posted:

All right, I'll make the DND/Other Tabletop thread because this was such a good idea last time.

Currently not playing much, only doing a few sessions of DND4E and Tormenta (Brazilian RPG). Wish I could get a group for LANCER because I think it kicks rear end but can't find many groups for it that can do on my times... Any other imps playing TRPGs as well?

Can you tell us more about Tormenta? Does it have any similarities to other systems we might know about? I've never heard of it.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

What earlier people said about TTS applies, but I've found when it comes to the fantasy stuff like D&D, WoD, etc. you can get away with a lot of theater of the mind and discord as long as everyone buys into it. Roll20 is also ok, though it lags like poo poo in Chrome if you have a map bigger than like 10x10.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

My group has been on hiatus for months, but we have a plane hopping, mystery solving, rp heavy game that has been a blast so far. My dragonborn inquisitor rogue is basically columbo and he is fun as hell to play. Miss rp a lot.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
humble monthly gave me a thing called tabletop playground which seems to basically be a tabletop sim clone but using unreal instead of unity. has anyone tried it? is it any good? i mean, it won't all the thousands of game remakes people have churned out for tabletop sim, but i'm just kinda curious tbh

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I traded in a bunch of old games two years ago because i bou everything digitally now and got a bunch of shop credit in a local game shop. Bought some 200 eruo boardgame called Twiligh Imperium that looks cool as hell but have never gotten to play it :negative:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mr. Humalong posted:

Can you tell us more about Tormenta? Does it have any similarities to other systems we might know about? I've never heard of it.

It started in the 90s using the 3D&T system created for adapting animes but later moved on to SRD d20 and later on moved to its own d20 variant. It's definitely the most popular national tabletop RPG here, although it never got outside of the country. Setting and story-wise it's a somewhat generic fantasy world, although with a few unique flairs like the "Storm" that makes its name, which is an extradimensional invasion that creates whole areas that turn into blood-red hellholes where acid storm rain falls and eldritch monsters roam the place. In the latest edition even one of the leaders of the alien invaders (this ugly mofo) managed to join the main pantheon of the gods after killing the minotaur god of strength!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Played a lot of Deadlands and Shadowrun, but I got hit with the tabletop gamer curse of getting a job and having a kid. I picked up the core 5e D&D rulebooks over the summer and am trying to get the old band back together.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
can we talk about warhammer in here

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tao of lmao posted:

My group has been on hiatus for months, but we have a plane hopping, mystery solving, rp heavy game that has been a blast so far. My dragonborn inquisitor rogue is basically columbo and he is fun as hell to play. Miss rp a lot.

it took sort of a long time for my group to figure out the distant gaming thing (we were just watching stuff together and then playing magic for awhile) but i think we're finally back to it. miss being able to sit and make food and drink, but i'm glad we're still playing

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

John Romero posted:

can we talk about warhammer in here

i'd rather you didnt

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

We’ve always been remote, i and one other player are on the east coast, one is in Texas, and 2 in Cali. Growing up a fan of radio, playing with voice only came fairly natural. Big thing for me was getting a decent mic and mixing software so i can compress, gate, and limit my audio output.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tao of lmao posted:

We’ve always been remote, i and one other player are on the east coast, one is in Texas, and 2 in Cali. Growing up a fan of radio, playing with voice only came fairly natural. Big thing for me was getting a decent mic and mixing software so i can compress, gate, and limit my audio output.

we should be used to it, because one of the guys in our group literally moved to LA to be a voice actor for a couple of years (plus i was remote for awhile after my first kid was born). he moved back once he got his set up at home good for recording, and my kids got old enough that my wife was okay with me drinking with buddies once a week though, and we kind of got lazy about only meeting in person and had to reinvent the wheel

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

first time ever playin dnd and im having a lot of fun wi it.

we're playing "lamentations of the flame princess" its a really cool setting but unfortunately the piece of poo poo DM got a gf and we're on a 2 week break.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

for all the imps who were interested in nomic, i'm going to do an interest check again when i have time, by the way. the break ran away from me planning present drop offs and stuff. and my wife is teaching nights tuesdays wednesdays and thursdays this semester so my time got sort of hosed up.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A friend of mine used his stimulus money to buy a subscription to.Forge VTT and it's really easy to use. There's tons of usermade plug-ins that automate a lot of stuff, so like using a spell or attack will automatically roll the dice to hit and then automatically roll.dice for damage if it hits. It really speeds combat up but it's also exposed how weak 5e combat is to me. Somehow rolling the dice and adding numbers in your head is a key part to pacing it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

yeah, roll20 gives you two results so you already have advantage/disadvantage/regular when the DM asks for it and something about not having to roll again does change the pacing. we were playing high level pathfinder before this, though, and the charts for stuff like "is the bard singing? do we have haste? are we flanking?" and the corresponding math got to be kind of a slog, so it's kind of a nice change for combats to sort of play themselves.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

yeah, roll20 gives you two results so you already have advantage/disadvantage/regular when the DM asks for it and something about not having to roll again does change the pacing. we were playing high level pathfinder before this, though, and the charts for stuff like "is the bard singing? do we have haste? are we flanking?" and the corresponding math got to be kind of a slog, so it's kind of a nice change for combats to sort of play themselves.

Yeah, I really like advantage/disadvantage over a dozen +1 modifiers. It's probably my favorite thing 5e introduced.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've also gotten really into making maps with HexKit which I got in a bundle over the summer. I'm not done with this one yet, I still want to add roads which is really fiddly in HexKit but I'm liking how it came out. I made the sheep/horses/elephant myself because none of the tilesets available have animals

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

im in a curse of strahd game and it is really good, barovia is all kinds of hosed up!

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I was gonna play Mage a few year's back but then the DM's girlfriend moved out of the country and he kept trying to get me to have sex with him so I respectfully excused myself forever. Tabletop rpgs ftw lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

have somehow avoided having dungeons and dragons sex scandals despite the fact that the circus twins who kept sleeping with each other's girlfriends were both involved for a very long time. two people from one of my games started dating and got married, though. their first kid is on the way and it's kind of cool because i knew them when they were baby freshmen in college.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I'm running a shadowrun game and a call of cthulhu game and both are pretty loving cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

call of cthulu is d20 modern, right? i played one quick campaign of it way back when, i remember it being fun.

my friend was going to get together a game of Dread called "Dread Presidents" in which we all had to play deceased presidents of the united states (and you had to pick a new president if you died, which, in dread, you do often) but he never got it together, i really wish he had.