Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped.
Things. I presume most of us posting here are fortunate enough to have some. Do you take care of yours?

For me it depends on what stage of cyclothymia I'm currently experiencing. Happy and lacking stress? That's when neurotic BB comes out. What else is there to be annoying other than boots lacking polish or a book you lent someone being bent out of shape? And my wallet needs tremble if I get the slightest crack in my phone. It's not even just neuroses so much as I can take pleasure in the nice things I have and want to keep them nice.

On the other hand when depression rolls around I could care less. Headphones get tossed into bags to get misshapen. Electric razors gain rust from lack of oiling. Rips in shirts go unmended. Then eventually there the cycle repeats itself.

What about you all? Plastic covers on the couch or stains on the mattress with cigarette burns? Maybe it depends on the item. Do you use the premium oil in your car but let your guitar get chucked about?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I ruin everything. For me, "breaking things in" means actually breaking them and then repairing them poorly. My mind is a disorganized (but beautiful) hellscape and I feel comfortable living in the same.

Heather Papps

hello friend

it depends on the thing honestly but i had a realization in the past couple of years that any physical object can be replaced, if necessary, and that's given me a degree of freedom i didn't have before. i still have like 5 different dead relatives collections of things - buttons, decorative spoons, records, books, etc.

it's tricky - a thing is a thing, but if you invest energy into it now it's more than just a thing but at the same time the energy and thing are completely separate?

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Prof. Crocodile

I take very good care of my things. I'm one of those weirdos who always keeps up with my car's maintenance guidebook, sharpens his knives, gets his suits pressed, etc. I have an otterbox for my phone, pads for my rugs and mattresses, an emergency power station for my car, and all that.

I also eat very healthy and exercise a lot, but that makes sense I guess, since ultimately I myself am one of my things.

Maybe I am just really fussy?

nut

u can tell what books I’ve read cuz the spine has been so bent that they blossom to twice their width while closed I have no respect for bettering oneself by reading

Finger Prince

I look after my things like I would my own children. I have no children, and that is one of the reasons why.

I don't not look after my things, but at the same time, I don't go out of my way.
I have one knife I hand wash and oil only, because it would rust if I didn't. And a couple of pans I prefer to hand wash for the same reason, but if I don't catch the small one before it gets chucked in the dishwasher inadvertently, well the rust rubs off the edge.

I have clothes that say dry clean only, but a cold gentle wash with mild detergent, maybe in a wash bag is fine. They're fine. Just don't put them in the dryer. And there's always more clothes if something goes wrong.

My houseplants are hardy and resistant to neglect. They'd be dead if they weren't.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

Usually if it costs over 100$ I take really good care of it. My computer, my TV, my headphones, all my electronics and retro videogames and stuff are well taken care of. Everything else just gets smooshed and destroyed eventually.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Usually if it costs over 100$ I take really good care of it. My computer, my TV, my headphones, all my electronics and retro videogames and stuff are well taken care of. Everything else just gets smooshed and destroyed eventually.

I have a nice Grado set and I bent the wire in the headband by not taking care of it. Right now it doesn't bother me at all but it will eventually when I'm happier because it's a Premium Product and I'm not going to replace it just because of this one fault.

Same with the nice wireless headphones I've scratched up. How can I roleplay an important businessman with them banged?

Macnult

yes, unless i intend to beat them up i.e. skate shoes.

although i still take care of those i guess. they’re gonna be torn up but it’s not like i toss them about or leave them out to get ruined

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

Bright Bart posted:

I have a nice Grado set and I bent the wire in the headband by not taking care of it. Right now it doesn't bother me at all but it will eventually when I'm happier because it's a Premium Product and I'm not going to replace it just because of this one fault.

Same with the nice wireless headphones I've scratched up. How can I roleplay an important businessman with them banged?

My LCD-X currently have one ear not working and it's been tormenting me for months so I'm trying to get them fixed this month.

----------------

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i keep a live and let live relation with my things, neither caring for them nor interfering in their business

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nut

my things? no. my thangs? well...

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I take care of my boyfriend, my plants, my animals, my textile production gear and my phone. Everything else can get tae gently caress as far as it goes, because it's just stuff, it doesn't matter, I've lost everything I owned so many times to a house fire, abusive boyfriends, theft and eviction that it doesn't matter. Living things and the means to care for them matter, art matters, and a link to the world outside my head matter.

Also I have a severe mental illness on top of having a chronic, debilitating illness while working full time. I do the best I can with what I have, and part of taking care of the people, and things, that I care about is getting rid of stuff that piles up and gets in the way of that. I'm currently whittling down my possessions to a bare minimum of clutter-stuff. Like, clothes I'll never wear again. Books, art objects and decor items that have zero sentimental value. Books I'll never read again. Excess yarn (yes really, most people who know me know this is big). Things that were gifted to me, hand-me-down fashion, like furniture that doesn't fit right in my house and thusly becomes a catchall for unsorted mail that I don't bother opening since my bills should all be paperless and get paid automatically.

It's been a process because I have a very large house and my parents immediately decided to give me a literal truck load (a 27' trailer load) of furniture that is not my style and has no sentimental value. I appreciate that they gave it to me, I am grateful for the fact that it existed in my home, and I am going to be glad that Habitat can use it to give other people things they want and need.

hey mom its 420

i take care to reduce entropy among my possesions to a certain degree, but i fully realize that it's impossible in the long run. and by doing the work to decrease it locally you're actually increasing it globally, so that's hosed

----------------

cruft

You know when you buy something used from eBay and it shows up in the original box, with the original styrofoam padding, mint condition unopened owner's manual, and even has the ad inserts and warranty card?

That's me. I take care of my things.

My wife, however, is like a wrecking ball. I had to learn how to relax my notion of what "normal wear and tear" was on the day we moved into our first shared apartment and she accidentally destroyed all my porcelain figurines and the glass cover to the entertainment cabinet.

It's made me a better person: now I don't make things with the expectation that they'll be handled by a surgeon whose hobby is antique pottery.

cruft

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I take very good care of my things. I'm one of those weirdos who always keeps up with my car's maintenance guidebook, sharpens his knives, gets his suits pressed, etc. I have an otterbox for my phone, pads for my rugs and mattresses, an emergency power station for my car, and all that.

What up, neurosis buddy.

I stopped using a cell phone case last year when it dawned on me that I have never dropped a phone.

Heather Papps

hello friend

cruft posted:

My wife, however, is like a wrecking ball. I had to learn how to relax my notion of what "normal wear and tear" was on the day we moved into our first shared apartment and she accidentally destroyed all my porcelain figurines and the glass cover to the entertainment cabinet.

speak on this please i must know

cruft

Heather Papps posted:

speak on this please i must know

She just isn't as gentle with things as I am. When we met, I was amazed that she knew exactly how wide her car was, and could whip into a parallel space at a speed that almost made me soil my drawers. It wasn't until later that I found out how she came by this intuitive sense for her car's width.

There isn't much more to the moving story. I had some stupid porcelain dragons and she broke every single wing on every single dragon. She also broke some wings off of some fairy figurines. And when she set the glass cover down against a wall it shattered into a million pieces. The glass was a total freak accident and could have happened to anyone. It just sort of put a bow on the day.

We've been married for almost 20 years. I may have been able to get hilariously huffy about this 15 years ago, but as I've grown into this marriage I've come to understand that having super-delicate stuff around just isn't important. Porcelain fantasy figurines was something I was into before we got married, but we didn't carry it into the marriage. We've focused on other stuff, like a shared love of 1960s furniture design, minimalist living, and woodworking.

This has been pretty good for me, honestly. I've been able to focus my "take care of things" energy into figuring out how to make stuff more robust. Some people have other priorities than "protect your stuff": sometimes that's a permanent focus, sometimes it's temporary (the baby is about to stick that fork into the toaster, I no longer care about the cell phone). It's important to design things that can withstand not being the sole focus of protective attention.

Prof. Crocodile

cruft posted:

What up, neurosis buddy.

I stopped using a cell phone case last year when it dawned on me that I have never dropped a phone.

Fun story. I just started dropping my cell phone. Like ALL THE loving TIME, despite having dropped a phone a grand total of once between 2004 and 2019.

cruft

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Fun story. I just started dropping my cell phone. Like ALL THE loving TIME, despite having dropped a phone a grand total of once between 2004 and 2019.

Yeah, I have to come clean, I put the case back on when my wife got me a new pair of jeans for Christmas.

These jeans have women's jeans pockets. I can't keep the phone in the pocket because the pockets are so small. I fully expect to start dropping it any day now.

WHY WOULD ANYONE MAKE POCKETS THIS SMALL

THIS IS SO DUMB

I HATE THESE POCKETS

Jeans look pretty good though.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

WHY WOULD ANYONE MAKE POCKETS THIS SMALL

THIS IS SO DUMB

I HATE THESE POCKETS

Jeans look pretty good though.

Now y'all know how I feel every day of my dumb bad life and also why I've dropped my phone out of my pocket at least seven times in two days.

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

Now y'all know how I feel every day of my dumb bad life and also why I've dropped my phone out of my pocket at least seven times in two days.

Yeah, seriously, having women's pockets really opened my eyes here.

I for one will never get another pair of jeans with ridiculously small pockets. This is serious bullshit, I have things to do, and looking good is down at like item #95.

No joke, "usable pockets" has become my top criterion for any future pantaloon/kilt purchase. I didn't realize how good I had it before these damned things.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hot take: we should all start wearing ridiculously ostentatious external pockets on belts, like women of the Renaissance.

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

Hot take: we should all start wearing ridiculously ostentatious external pockets on belts, like women of the Renaissance.

Not a bad idea.

One time I saw this woman walking by in this super cute skirt, so I hollered out "I love your skirt!" She turned around, smiled really big, and went "thanks! look! IT HAS POCKETS!" and jammed her hands into what must have been totally awesome SKIRT POCKETS.

I feel like the world needs more skirts with pockets. Surely she was not the only person on earth who could be made happy by such a thing.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

My dress I wore when I got married? That motherfucker had pockets.

It literally was the only good thing about the whole situation

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Like, I make clothes, and I intentionally design them to have pockets. Every piece of clothing except most socks, my bras and like a few pairs of underwear? Pockets. I have tasted freedom and I will never go back.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I guess I do mostly take care of my clothes because I make almost everything I wear. I only have store bought jeans because I have to wear them at work.

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

I guess I do mostly take care of my clothes because I make almost everything I wear. I only have store bought jeans because I have to wear them at work.

It would not be difficult to argue that caring about pockets correlates to taking care of your things.

Also I think you should make bra pockets. I'm pretty sure I've seen such a thing (maybe on sports bras?) and it struck me as incredibly useful. You could maybe attach them to straps with velcro to go on any old bra.

I once had a pair of boxers with a condom pocket. It was the same design as basically every pair of swim trunks I had until the late 90s when they merged with Bermuda shorts.

Robot Made of Meat

I never put anything in my pockets. I have to search to find sweat pants without the cursed things.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Robot Made of Meat

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I never put anything in my pockets. I have to search to find sweat pants without the cursed things.

eta: I take care of my things. I have many things in my house that I've had since the 1970s, and some that came from my father's family going as far back as the late 19th century.

Hmm. Quote really isn't Edit, is it?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

biosterous

i basically need something to do with my hands in order to sit still, so i got a case for my phone - now i can flip it around when i'm focusing on something, and it's fine if i drop it

this has also lead me to start just tossing it onto the couch whenever, even though it bounces off like half the time

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Heather Papps

hello friend

cruft posted:

I had some stupid porcelain dragons and she broke every single wing on every single dragon. She also broke some wings off of some fairy figurines. And when she set the glass cover down against a wall it shattered into a million pieces.

thank you for this whole story but especially this part which made me laugh very hard. l'amour, c'est magnifique!

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
no

posting smiling
if you ever have a hbo login there's an episode of how to with john wilson, "how to cover your furniture" about this. for me, it's gotta be a "little of column a", "little of column b".

Professor Latency

posting smiling posted:

if you ever have a hbo login there's an episode of how to with john wilson, "how to cover your furniture" about this. for me, it's gotta be a "little of column a", "little of column b".

This exactly for me too. I think I take reasonable care of my things, but there's an important distinction between you owning your stuff and your stuff owning you. Like when I buy a new non-stick pan, I don't really care too much about babying it so that it lasts forever because it was a pretty cheap pan in the first place.

I guess the price/importance of the thing is the most it for me. Like if you're a mechanic you're gonna buy nice tools and take relatively good care of them because that's how you make money. I have some poo poo rear end wrenches that suck and are rusted over, but I only use them a few times a year at most so it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies

by sebmojo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I am on the LSBB train as well, nice stuff gets maintained mostly, the other stuff is just replaceable. Except sunglasses, every pair I found on the ground or under 10 bucks can't break or lose but if I spend over 20 bucks theyre gone in a week.

----------------