Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My goal is eventually have a waste oil furnace to heat my garage. Those can be DIYd with the largest cost being the blower fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
out on a bike ride a couple days ago, i actually saw evidence that someone had dumped loving oil down a storm drain, even though you can drop it off for freeeeeee at any auto parts store :argh:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

out on a bike ride a couple days ago, i actually saw evidence that someone had dumped loving oil down a storm drain, even though you can drop it off for freeeeeee at any auto parts store :argh:

Huh, I wonder if that's a thing everywhere. In my area, I can leave it by the recycling bin if I put it in a clear plastic container with a screw top. Finding those is the hardest part, I have to plan grocery purchases around oil changes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I remember the days of dumping it on gravel roads to keep the dust down. Usually by a large body of water such as a lake.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

tuna posted:

In exchange for useful answers I guess I'll post some tool updates of my own:

New year, new welder!

Upgraded because I'm really interested in pulse spray transfer mig, which has so many benefits over short-circuit that I'd be stupid not to. It's also multiprocess so I can eventually ease my way into tig. So far I've only done a few tests welding 2" .120 notched tube together in pulsed spray, cut and etched to see where I should be going for settings. The spray transfer sound is cool. I also cranked it up to max IPM and welded some 3/8ths inch plate for funsies. It's only a 220 (and less in spray mig with 030 wire), but it puts out just so much heat, its insane.

In the background on the very left you can barely see the evo chop saw which is fantastic, however I really pushed the limits of the size of workpiece in the clamp today (way too small), and had it launch out of the grips and break a bearing off the cast alloy part that opens the blade guard as you lower it :(. Some jb-weld is curing overnight to get that part working again and I've learned my lesson. I'm very respectful of the energies involved in this device in general and having a 4" length of quater wall 1.5" DOM tube launch out of it, smash some alloy, and spin at about 700rpm on the floor in front of me for a minute was an awesome and terrfying realization of the energy in this tool.

As an aside, I got a decimal inch ruler because converting gauge, decimal and fractions was getting boring.

Does anyone sell a fractional metric ruler? This would complete my collection. Telling someone I need 1 and 7/16ths centimeter would be glorious.

Nice, I have a 220MTS as well. Great machine. What are you running for gas in spray? I've been using C10 as a do-it-all gas.

My favorite weird rule is a Mitutoyo 182-208. Decimal inches on one side and metric on the other.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

um excuse me posted:

Did my first oil change with a fluid extractor and this poo poo is as easy as getting gas. Extremely worth it.

Does that thing get everything out, and how long does it take? I got one of those smaller pumps as a present, it took like 30 minutes and I felt like it didn't get everything out, though some of that was probably in the filter.

tuna posted:

Noob question about oil changes - if you go to a place like jiffy lube (or whatever oil change place mandated to accept oil) to dispose of oil, they let you just pour it out from your container then leave right? I've been to a few recycling/dumps and their oil policy is you leave your container there, which is no loving bueno when those things can be so expensive.
I just poured the old oil into an empty jug of washer fluid or antifreeze or something. And then the next time you also have empty oil jugs.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I remember the days of dumping it on gravel roads to keep the dust down. Usually by a large body of water such as a lake.
I thought you were supposed to dump it into the ocean. Or is that just for batteries?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 18, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

boxen posted:

Huh, I wonder if that's a thing everywhere. In my area, I can leave it by the recycling bin if I put it in a clear plastic container with a screw top. Finding those is the hardest part, I have to plan grocery purchases around oil changes.

every autozone and oreilly ive ever been to accepts oil for recycling

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

um excuse me posted:

Did my first oil change with a fluid extractor and this poo poo is as easy as getting gas. Extremely worth it.

This is all sorts of spiffy!

I’m curious if this would meaningfully affect dredging up heavy metallic wear and tear bits that settle down in the drain pan and oil filter? Or is pretty much most of that caught up in suspension with the oil and just settles back down into the new filter? Does this suck up enough oil from the filter that you can pop down underneath and twist off the old one without needing a pan to catch the mess?

I really like the idea of having a clean cylinder for disposal instead of the grimey assortment of used oil jugs that I pile up until lack of space compels me to take them in to the local parts shop and dump them off.

Above all I just really hate my current drain pan... the cap on the blow molded spout doesn’t actually seal so it just dribbles after I pour out the oil. This might be an excellent replacement...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It seems to me that all oil jugs are wear items. I have one now that I like and the screw top gets a little worse every time.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’m curious if this would meaningfully affect dredging up heavy metallic wear and tear bits that settle down in the drain pan and oil filter? Or is pretty much most of that caught up in suspension with the oil and just settles back down into the new filter? Does this suck up enough oil from the filter that you can pop down underneath and twist off the old one without needing a pan to catch the mess?

I really like the idea of having a clean cylinder for disposal instead of the grimey assortment of used oil jugs that I pile up until lack of space compels me to take them in to the local parts shop and dump them off.

Above all I just really hate my current drain pan... the cap on the blow molded spout doesn’t actually seal so it just dribbles after I pour out the oil. This might be an excellent replacement...

My car's oil capacity on paper is 5.4 quarts. I bought 5 quarts of oil. It was pretty much perfect. I assume it will leave some oil behind and it did. There's oil in the turbo lines as well as the timing and heads. You're ideally supposed to change the oil while its still warm so it flows faster as well as still has carbon and some lighter alloys in it. Like I said in my earlier post I walked away for about 20 mins to come back and find it finished. You're only going to get so much flow through the dipstick.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ThinkFear posted:

Nice, I have a 220MTS as well. Great machine. What are you running for gas in spray? I've been using C10 as a do-it-all gas.

My favorite weird rule is a Mitutoyo 182-208. Decimal inches on one side and metric on the other.

Yeah I'm using C10 on this as well, 030 wire. Praxair only had it for sale in huge bottles so I'm stuck with it for a while.. From the spec sheet it looks like 035 dual shielded fluxcore will give the maximum mig penetration on this welder. I'm definitely trying that out if I find myself in a position to glue some half inch plate together.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
what're people's thoughts on ratcheting combination wrenches? specifically, versus buying a set of regular combination wrenches. useful tool or mostly gimmick-waiting-to-break?

e: i have a socket set already

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what're people's thoughts on ratcheting combination wrenches? specifically, versus buying a set of regular combination wrenches. useful tool or mostly gimmick-waiting-to-break?

The good quality ones are good, and useful.

The lovely ones are probably less good.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
They're a godsend, imo. I hate using normal ones now.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

They’re wonderful for what they work for, but they’re not a complete replacement. If I had to buy one or the other, I’d buy non-ratcheting. The ratcheting wrenches aren’t nearly as strong, and they’re not appropriate for using opposite a breaker bar.

Likely answer: buy non-ratcheting from HF, and whatever ratcheting ones you’re thinking about.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

OMGVBFLOL posted:

If I had to choose I'd go with the regular kind first, since they have a smaller closed end that fits in tighter spots. Plus the angle of the closed end can be a benefit more often than not.

The only problem I've ever had with the ratcheting type is them not fitting or the handle hits something since they are flat.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I feel like my Gearwrench set is thicker in general to make room for the mechanism, which is a problem when trying to, say, tighten jam nuts.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

It's important to note that there are flat ratcheting wrenches that reverse by flipping the wrench around, and there are offset (like normal box end combo wrenches) ratcheting wrenches with a lever to flip the ratcheting direction. Both are great, and good for different things. The ones with the offset and lever are a little more fragile, but you also can't accidentally lock them onto a fastener with low clearance by cranking a flanged bolt out too far like the flat non-reversible ones.

tldr buy both kinds!

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
https://www.bahco.com/int_en/4-in-1-ratcheting-ring-wrench-set---3-pcs-pouch-pb_s4rm-_.html

for ratcheting i like these that have 4 sizes on each wrench since you can cover 12 sizes with 3 wrenches. I've never really found the need to have ratcheting spanners in larger sizes.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I take non-ratcheting wrenches for the offroad toolkit because if the ratchet breaks I can't just go buy a new one down the block (and if I lose them, they're cheaper to replace). But in the garage I always reach for the ratchet wrenches.
I've used the flatter, flip over ratchet wrenches from Tekton for ages and never had a problem with them. The new Icon stuff from HF has some pretty nice looking wrenches at not too expensive of a price, which I'd probably pick up if I needed a new set or type of ratchet wrench.
I might steal a move from Adam Savage and paint them red and green so its clear which side is tightening or loosening.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

tldr buy both kinds!

This is always the answer.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oil temperature and the path of the dipstick are very important factors. On some cars you might not be able to get to the lowest point of the pan. I use the suction method on cars every day, and if I pull the drain bolt nothing comes out when I’m done. The engine oil has to be hot (60c or higher)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Really as people said, both. I like normal for hammering something loose (literally, everything is always rusty so I don't even try loosening most suspension stuff without hammering on the wrench itself to get it unstuck). Ratcheting are fantastic for most things under the hood though. I just have flat ones, not the fancy flex head ones.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Hypnolobster posted:

but you also can't accidentally lock them onto a fastener with low clearance by cranking a flanged bolt out too far like the flat non-reversible ones.

Look just tag me next time alright

(I own 2 9/16 regular, one 9/16 stubby, and an extra 14mm regular ratcheting wrench all because of the loving studs on Jeep transfer cases doing this and me not learning very well)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Suburban Dad posted:

Really as people said, both. I like normal for hammering something loose (literally, everything is always rusty so I don't even try loosening most suspension stuff without hammering on the wrench itself to get it unstuck). Ratcheting are fantastic for most things under the hood though. I just have flat ones, not the fancy flex head ones.

Ya plus also a stubby set, you can turn them faster, get good clearance and limit yourself on overtightening at the cost of break loose leverage.

Seriously I grab a stubby before the full size ones usually just because it can sometimes get a half turn instead of a quarter turn.

I wish I had a comedy third option too but I think that's it, a good offset box wrench set, and two sizes of ratcheting, long and short. I've never wanted extra long, and only my brake bleeder is extra offset. I saw some s curve ones but I haven't had the pleasure.

Edit : one of my favorites is my 5/16 reversable flex head ratchet wrench that has one purpose, getting the fuel bowl nut on the lower right side on my Holley. I use it for all four but only need it for that one. On one specific angle. And still only get a sixth of a turn at a time. I think that wrench was $15 or more, the same price as my whole gear wrench metric set on sale.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 19, 2021

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hypnolobster posted:

tldr buy both kinds!

Honest thread title.

I have a set of those 4 in 1 wrenches, not bahco but good. They come out all the time when working on the kids bikes or under the car, would recommend.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I love all my ratcheting wrenches, flex head, straight with pawl, offset, there's situations where they turn 15 minutes off cursing, yelling, and struggling into 30sec of easily stripping a nut off.

They're also the only wrench I regularly break, they seize up, tear teeth out, break pawls etc, from Harbor Freight to Snap On.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Big Taint posted:

This is always the answer.

It really is. And it gets more complicated when you find that Gearwrench makes stubbys. Those are great, too. :wink:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have the pivot head ones in metric too. Not flex, pivot. They usually act as backup metric, but occasionally that feature saves my rear end. Great for working on nuts and bolts buried in between casting webs on stuff while it's still in the vehicle - for example trans to tcase bolts with a trans tunnel or exhaust in your way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Get reversible ones if you can. Reversible flex heads are super duper nice.

I was warned about the scenario where you back off a nut/bolt to the point where you can't get the wrench off. And if you have one of those 'flip it over for reverse' wrenches, you might hate yourself for a bit. Or be completely stuck. I warned my friend about it and he still managed to do it an hour later. EDIT: I'm not mad. It was worth it for the random, "OH MY GOD IT HAPPENED!!!"

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 19, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

kastein posted:

I have the pivot head ones in metric too. Not flex, pivot. They usually act as backup metric, but occasionally that feature saves my rear end. Great for working on nuts and bolts buried in between casting webs on stuff while it's still in the vehicle - for example trans to tcase bolts with a trans tunnel or exhaust in your way.

Ok that's neat. I definitely could see a benefit to those.

And also + on ratcheting wrenches. I probably use them almost as often as my standard combination wrenches.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

E: “In a pinch you can lob your used oil jugs through the windows of your local republican party headquarters.”

Molotov, meet MobileLob.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 19, 2021

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Advance Auto frequently has 8 piece sets of reversible ratcheting wrenches on sale for $33
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/gear-wrench-metric-reversible-combination-ratcheting-wrench-set-8-piece-9543/25984326-p
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/gear-wrench-8-piece-reversible-ratcheting-combination-wrench-set-sae-9533n-9533/25984315-p

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Elviscat posted:

They're also the only wrench I regularly break, they seize up, tear teeth out, break pawls etc, from Harbor Freight to Snap On.
This is basically why I'll always say you should buy both or if it's one or the other, you need the non-ratcheting wrenches.

Unless I'm absolutely sure something is not seized, I'll always put the standard wrench on first, break it loose, then throw the ratcheting wrench on. As you said, even the Snap-On (and Wera) varieties will break if pressed too hard.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I'm sad that in the X-Men movies, they never show Magneto hiding out as an auto mechanic and just using mind powers to wrench the gently caress out of stuck nuts and bolts, and accidentally tearing a transmission in half or something.

boxen fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 19, 2021

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Magneto's sole purpose in life is installing oil filters on cars while he is pissed off.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Seems appropriate here

:allears:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Put dinosaurs back in the ground. Seems logical.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i mean they were, what, two generations removed from oil just bubbling out of the ground all over pennsylvania, texas, and southern california so its not hard to see the A to B there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
there was a shop that I used to hang around in that had a really badly broken up asphalt and concrete floor, it was opened sometime in the late 30s and closed in 2005-6 - its since been turned in to a non automotive paint store which I actually use when I need to get house paint - after the auto shop closed they poured a new concrete floor in there and whenever I've been there, they keep "caution wet" signs over all the places that the cars once sat because the years upon years of oil are seeping up thru the floor.

about ratcheting wrenches, I was feeling frisky a few years back and bought full size and stubby sets in SAE from harbor freight. They aren't total garbage - they seem to work ok and I use them often. My biggest complaints are that i often find myself getting the end on to a tough to reach bolt then realizing i have to take it off and flip it over which is kinda a pain in the rear end. also, the HF sets do not come with 11/16 which is a very common size that I use - this frustrates me more than anything. I also have a set of early gearwrench ones with the tilty heads, I don't use those as often because they are very bulky, they aren't even in the drawer with the other wrenches .

is it kinda crazy that I have like 4 full-ish sets of box wrenches?