Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I just assume that the smaller size/lower profile nature of Joycon sticks means they go bad faster. Maybe unacceptably faster, although I don't know if there's any others of comparable size that are better.

I'd say the PS Vita's thumbsticks are just fine and they're a comparable size.

A caveat: they don't click.

Zat fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I loved everything about crosscode except the puzzles. I wish there were more brain teasers and less of a focus on execution. Even on the lowest slider I wasn’t really having fun. I should probably give that game another shot though as the first 2 dungeons are apparently the longest so the endless puzzles are hopefully less of a thing moving forward.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SeANMcBAY posted:

How's Valkyria Chronicles? I'm interested in the anime WW2 setting and the fact that Vyse/Aika are in it. I love Skies of Arcadia.

Valkyria Chronicles 1 is amazing. I highly recommend it.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is almost as good - the tactical game is much improved, but the story is also about 25% more anime (this may or may not be something you find in your favor).

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Does the 3DS circle pad drift? I constantly bought new ones due to being bad with money so I’m not sure if I’ve used a single 3DS for more than two years.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Don't all analog sticks go bad eventually?

They do, but the Joy Cons wear down excessively fast compared to most other analog sticks out there.

hatty posted:

Does the 3DS circle pad drift? I constantly bought new ones due to being bad with money so I’m not sure if I’ve used a single 3DS for more than two years.

It can, but that's a pretty rare issue. More often than not the pad itself will just get torn off if you're a bit too rough with the 3DS circle pad, but that's not super common, though it is a sizeable possibility.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Bought a switch lite.

Countdown until the joystick explodes begins now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I just got a Switch for the first time very recently and while I was waiting for my 8bitdo dongle to arrive(so I could use my DS4) I was honestly afraid to use the joycons for any game besides Fire Emblem because they felt so flimsy and fragile.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that'a weird

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve gone through 2 pairs of Joycons but I don’t worry about my new ones getting drift since Nintendo will replace them for free. I really do hope that they introduce more durable ones with the Super Switch Pro Turbo that would also be compatible with the original Switch.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Achmed Jones posted:

that'a weird

It's not like I don't have experience with Nintendo stuff, either - I have two 3DSes(an old one and an XL), and I grew up on the NES/SNES/N64. The joycons just feel like they're going to shatter in my hands if I accidentally push them too hard because they're so tiny and the plastic feels so thin.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Man, everyone talks about the Nokia brick phone, but the NES controller and Gamecube controller are going to survive the death of the sun.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kanos posted:

It's not like I don't have experience with Nintendo stuff, either - I have two 3DSes(an old one and an XL), and I grew up on the NES/SNES/N64. The joycons just feel like they're going to shatter in my hands if I accidentally push them too hard because they're so tiny and the plastic feels so thin.

They won’t. What can happen is the material under/inside the joycon sticks can get worn out and that’s what causes the drifting.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

I'm pretty sure the reason joycon sticks drift more than circle pads is because you can click them. They both use the same linear potentiometers, but clicking the stick puts more pressure on the graphite pads, and wears them out faster. I suspect this is why my launch joycons were perfectly fine until I got most of the way through Astral Chain, which frequently has you moving the left analog while it's pressed.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

I played through the entirety of dmc 3 in handheld mode and my joycons were fine

My hands however...

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah I think Hollow Knight on split joycons legit gave me carpal tunnel.

That and the death-grip that the tension of the game induced.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Pro controller ruined handheld play for me. It just feels so gooood to hold.

So Bomberman R sucks right? drat what a tease, Bomberman online would be so good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Social Animal posted:

Pro controller ruined handheld play for me. It just feels so gooood to hold.

So Bomberman R sucks right? drat what a tease, Bomberman online would be so good.

It doesn’t suck. It’s absolutely worth it on sale.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Araxxor posted:

More often than not the pad itself will just get torn off if you're a bit too rough with the 3DS circle pad, but that's not super common, though it is a sizeable possibility.

Yeah my 3DS had the rubber on the circle pad tear off, it sucks. It also had a busted D pad where it wouldn't accept inputs for about twenty seconds after I started playing a game.

My old 3DS had a busted L button too, that's what got me to buy a new one, because having a busted L button made Bravely Default too much of a hassle to play.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I was under the impression that the consensus of Bomberman R was that it was one of the best Bomberman games in a LONG time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I swear that when it came out people said it was a broken buggy mess. Was it fixed, or am I misremembering?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

When it came out it had so much input lag even in local multiplayer that it sucked to play, but it got patched. I've never tried it online so I don't know if that's still broken.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Is the online dead though?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I know I've seen that Hitman 3 is supposed to be released on the Switch today but I can't see it under either recent releases or upcoming games?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's a cloud version so maybe it's not online yet. I know they're doing a global release at a specific time so that their team located in Denmark can be ready.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was under the impression that the consensus of Bomberman R was that it was one of the best Bomberman games in a LONG time.
That might've been by default cause I can't remember that many modern Bomberman releases to begin with. I remember the GC ones, then that one Xbox 360 one...

Samurai Sanders posted:

I swear that when it came out people said it was a broken buggy mess. Was it fixed, or am I misremembering?
Yeah it was like 30fps on launch then 60fps in an update, and kept getting content updates for a while.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

japtor posted:

that one Xbox 360 one...

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Maybe it's a false memory but I seem to remember Capcom trying to pull off an edgy Mega Man X FPS game before canceling it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Social Animal posted:

Maybe it's a false memory but I seem to remember Capcom trying to pull off an edgy Mega Man X FPS game before canceling it.
It’s real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olYCsHuqjOo

Made by some old Metroid Prime devs iirc

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, why not use bluetooth headphones for your Switch instead?

Oh wait

I just ordered the Brook Travel Bay, which is a BT-enabled dock that is supposedly guaranteed not to brick the Switch. Almost double what a generic Chinese one on eBay cost, but about the only one I could find in stock in Australia.

I'll post up my impressions when it gets here. I wanted a second dock so I could plug my Switch in downstairs so I can do Ring Fit in the mornings and not wake my partner up. Also be great to have a dock for traveling, as it seems like ever place I stay has an HDTV these days.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The projector was cheaper than a tv? Also I like wired headphones. Never had the want to pay that sort of money for wireless headphones, when the latter is just as good if not better.

I was very much of this school of thought, but All Headphone Cables Must Die and I got rather tired of that. I finally bought a pair of mpow flame's for like, AU$35 shipped on a lark and they last for ages, sound decent, and I don't have to worry about the cable snagging on stuff if I walk around the house.

Need to buy another pair of wired buds just for my Switch and 3DS at some point.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Social Animal posted:

Capcom was way into letting western developers gently caress up their games back then. Don't forget the Bionic Commando reboot where the guy's robot arm is actually his dead wife

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

homeless snail posted:

Capcom was way into letting western developers gently caress up their games back then. Don't forget the Bionic Commando reboot where the guy's robot arm is actually his dead wife

It really is a miracle they survived after 2013 long enough to bring out RE7, and escape begging console manufacturers for money in exchange for exclusives.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

hatty posted:

It’s real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olYCsHuqjOo

Made by some old Metroid Prime devs iirc

I keep hoping for a Vanquish style X game. :(

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'd consider myself fit enough, I run 12 km+ when I run and I bike 20 km daily to and from work, but I will throw up if I work out 2 hours after eating, I usually have to wait 3 hours, preferably 4. This is why I tend to work out first thing in the morning before breakfast, but that's just me.

This is the solution for most people who have stomach problems with cardio. I run 150km a week (don’t ask) and literally fast from breakfast to night before my runs. You don’t have to go that extreme for Ring Fit, but figure out meal timing and the issue will disappear.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think a Mega Man themed fps would be good. The fan made ones that are just arena battlers are fun, a real one with level design and stuff would be great.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I kind of wish we were getting diabotical instead of apex legends

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What's going on with Hitman 3? It's supposed to be out today on Switch (cloud version at least) but I can't find anything about it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Social Animal posted:

Is the online dead though?

I can still get into games. I would imagine the Switch version has the most players.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Frankston posted:

What's going on with Hitman 3? It's supposed to be out today on Switch (cloud version at least) but I can't find anything about it.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/hitman-3-cloud-version-switch/
looks like its out now

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Omnikin posted:

DS4 for life

it's purely anecdotal but my ds4 had a shorter lifespan than our joycons. I don't have a ps4 but i bought a ds4 for PC because everyone was waxing poetic about it. It was nice, but then just a few years later the left, up, and right d pad buttons stopped responding, and after googling the issue it turns out that happens to a shitload of users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Lmao

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I kind of wish we were getting diabotical instead of apex legends

I wonder how well an arena fps could play with gyro. Wasn’t a big fan of the Quake 3 arena port on the 360. gently caress we have some Quake 3 engine games already on the Switch bring over the real thing.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I can still get into games. I would imagine the Switch version has the most players.

Oh cool! I was under the impression that you couldn’t find games online at this point.