Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I’m on call and my customer just opened a critical case.

Apparently someone just realized that their four petabytes of code and artifacts cost a lot in S3 and costs even more to move out of S3. Whatever, right? But the individual who opened the case is a curmudgeon shithead who called me out by name in the case stating that [customer] shouldn’t have to pay any storage or data transfer charges because I led them into this situation with a series of (bad) architectural recommendations.

Things would have gone really bad for our hero except that I had an email in which I explicitly stated that this situation was going to occur with this setup that I explicitly advocated against. The email even had a trend analysis predicting them hitting 4PB and naming the cost at that point.

My prediction was two weeks early

Best part is that the email I saved [and subsequently attached to the support case] is the very last one in the thread that includes my warnings, forecasts and recommendations, and ends with the Director of Operations telling curmudgeon to look into alternatives than saving everything on S3.

:feelsgood:

This is why I rarely delete emails.

Honestly I feel bad, though. Bias for Action and Customer Obsession says I shoulda done more to warn the Director directly about this scenario rather than letting curmudgeon gate me.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agrikk posted:

I’m on call and my customer just opened a critical case.

[bullshit customer was warned against]

Honestly I feel bad, though. Bias for Action and Customer Obsession says I shoulda done more to warn the Director directly about this scenario rather than letting curmudgeon gate me.

As a person who has been in this field long enough to become slightly misanthropic, nah, gently caress that curmudgeon. Wants to play stupid games? Let them win stupid prizes.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

xzzy posted:

When you inevitably run out of velcro straps, this is a stopgap cable storage method.

Coil it up, and one you got a foot or so of cable left, start looping it through the coil. You may need more or less depending on thickness of the cable. Obviously has issues with really short cables.

This is how I handle all cables at work and then usually combine like cables into bins and bags. My boss is a psychopath and ties cables into an overhand knot and taught the newest guy on the team to do it. Getting display port cables out of the knot is a nightmare.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Agrikk posted:

.Honestly I feel bad, though. Bias for Action and Customer Obsession says I shoulda done more to warn the Director directly about this scenario rather than letting curmudgeon gate me.

This is corporate garbagewords

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

We use SanSymphony-V and good god don’t try to run it like a normal server. We run it fat desktop too as at the time datacore didn’t certified core. We usually do a support request with datacore for confirmation before any major patching. Other than some handholding during updates, it has been more data safe than any other storage I’ve ever used, weathering whole stack failures with zero data loss.

I'm just talking about the normal monthly Server 2019 cumulative update. You saying not to do that either?

Given some of the ridiculous vulns out there right now, this makes me super uncomfortable

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

i am a moron posted:

That's Amazon!

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sitting here thinking and I"m still undecided on which one is worse, customer obsession or "delivering shareholder value".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I'm sitting here thinking and I"m still undecided on which one is worse, customer obsession or "delivering shareholder value".

https://youtu.be/GltlJO56S1g

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

i am a moron posted:

It might be, but the leadership principles are a thing and we refer to them every day.

Customer obsession allows me to ping a VP directly and tell them that a customer is having an issue with their service and they need help. Customer obsession also has that VP responding to me with a solution.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 18, 2021

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sitting across the street from the client's office, staring through the window with binoculars, Agrikk observes the client's every move. What kind of coffee are they drinking? If I know their habits maybe I'll be able to help them reduce their S3 costs.

I really hope this doesn't come across as mean, obsession is just not a term I tend to hear used positively in most cases.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sprechensiesexy posted:

They're fundamentally incompatible concepts, to boot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh hey a year has passed since the last time we set objectives for the organisation and then implemented no initiatives designed to meet those goals, time to decide the objectives were the problem and set different ones.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh hey a year has passed since the last time we set objectives for the organisation and then implemented no initiatives designed to meet those goals, time to decide the objectives were the problem and set different ones.

My favorite part is that this could apply to any business or volunteer organization.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Agrikk posted:

It might be, but the leadership principles are a thing and we refer to them every day.

Customer obsession allows me to ping a VP directly and tell them that a customer is having an issue with their service and they need help. Customer obsession also has that VP responding to me with a solution.

If they're useful for describing your culture that's fine. But you shouldn't feel bad about one company taking more money from another company than another company planned based on a course of action you specifically warned them about because of some corporate buzzwords.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

A part of our system currently depends on a 10.4.11 Mac connecting to a 10.6.2 Mac. A sever update prevents the older Mac from talking to the file sever, so it now uses the newer Mac as a go-between. The older Mac runs some AppleScript, that is apparently dependent on screen resolution, which prevents us from moving the script to the other Mac.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sitting across the street from the client's office, staring through the window with binoculars, Agrikk observes the client's every move. What kind of coffee are they drinking? If I know their habits maybe I'll be able to help them reduce their S3 costs.

I really hope this doesn't come across as mean, obsession is just not a term I tend to hear used positively in most cases.

I LOLed

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maigius posted:

A part of our system currently depends on a 10.4.11 Mac connecting to a 10.6.2 Mac. A sever update prevents the older Mac from talking to the file sever, so it now uses the newer Mac as a go-between. The older Mac runs some AppleScript, that is apparently dependent on screen resolution, which prevents us from moving the script to the other Mac.

I used to come across lovely small businesses that relied on a whole load of outdated Mac workflows, and just let me make you really aware that you are completely hosed if you have a hardware fault on those machines which are now 12-15 years old.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lum posted:

I'm just talking about the normal monthly Server 2019 cumulative update. You saying not to do that either?

Given some of the ridiculous vulns out there right now, this makes me super uncomfortable

If the server is in a isolated VLAN without internet access, quick patching is not as important, honestly i don't see much of a point of letting storage go freely into internet, keep those in a segregated network with heavy firewalling. If I remember correctly the biggest offenders for updates issues with SSV are .net and win cumulative. We usually do those quarterly, one node at a time, with datacore support ready to assist in case something goes tits up.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 19, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Maigius posted:

AppleScript isn't that loving hard of a language, have someone with scripting experience in loving any language at all take a look at the loving script and loving tweak it.

My 10.4.11 machines all run instruments where the vendor has gone out of business. :colbert:

No, they shouldn't be on the network either.

My biggest customer paid for Win7 Extended Support before putting a project manager on scoping out the Win10 migration requirements.

That still puts them at least a year ahead of Manufacturing and QC.

Which I am also responsible for.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

SlowBloke posted:

If the server is in a isolated VLAN without internet access, quick patching is not as important, honestly i don't see much of a point of letting storage go freely into internet, keep those in a segregated network with heavy firewalling. If I remember correctly the biggest offenders for updates issues with SSV are .net and win cumulative. We usually do those quarterly, one node at a time, with datacore support ready to assist in case something goes tits up.

Thank you for making me appreciate Pure more than I already do. Software updates for your SAN? gently caress it, have support do it for you after hours while you’re sleeping.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

You're assuming that our networks team have done that correctly 🤣 (it's out of my control)

Interestingly, Datacore's site says they recommend applying the monthly windows Security and Quality update "as soon as it is available"

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lum posted:

You're assuming that our networks team have done that correctly 🤣 (it's out of my control)

Interestingly, Datacore's site says they recommend applying the monthly windows Security and Quality update "as soon as it is available"

Having experienced split brain and other issues(that on datacore defense only created downtime but no data loss) we do prefer to let updates simmer a bit, both on datacore side and on windows side. Also your post said server, singular. That is no good, it should be at least two servers(in a sync replica team) to avoid going down during updates.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

They want us to come in Saturday for the shot...I'll wait until next week

Got shot #1 today!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Good.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Internet Explorer posted:

Bob, do you have some sort of humiliation fetish I should be made aware of? If so, should we have a safe word?

I feel like this isn't quoted enough.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i'm happy bob is getting shot but i also hope he's still wearing his mask

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
not pissed of, more pissing off..

I have now written this four times now thanks A: phone posting, and B: being a dumbass but ANYWAYS.

commanded an incident today in the middle of causing multiple kitchen disasters, including: spilling chicken thighs + marinade all over the kitchen floor, my nice boots, and a silk dress, ruining my (vegetarian) partner’s bread proofing in the over by unwittingly turning it on, all while frantically trying to fix myself breakfast at 3:30 thanks to managing the aforementioned incident...

Also we do standup at 8am now thanks to lockdown and childcare situations on our team. For which I blame our lovely provincial government not the parents ofc, but nevertheless today has just been a gently caress.

On the plus side I got some great single malt Talisker to enjoy with the inauguration tomorrow... once i go pick up some flowers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Maigius posted:

It's legal to virtualize Mac OS on an actual Mac, so if it's really tied to the screen resolution and you have no one who can dig in to the Applescript to fix it you could virtualize a Mac with the required resolution and run it on modern hardware at the minimum (not to mention the disaster recovery benefits of virtualizing anything).

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

On the plus side I got some great single malt Talisker to enjoy with the inauguration tomorrow... once i go pick up some flowers.

I have bottle of Lagavulin that I have been waiting until after the inauguration to open.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jeoh posted:

i'm happy bob is getting shot but i also hope he's still wearing his mask

edit you know what, no no no

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
There is an o365/share point/teams job opened at a local bank. How dumb am I to get on that train?

also what should I get paid in the midwest

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Naramyth posted:

There is an o365/share point/teams job opened at a local bank. How dumb am I to get on that train?

also what should I get paid in the midwest

How much do you hate your liver (because gently caress SharePoint)? Is it just administering an existing environment, performing a migration, or something else?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Day 19 of the time tracking site being down - still down.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

duffmensch posted:

How much do you hate your liver (because gently caress SharePoint)? Is it just administering an existing environment, performing a migration, or something else?

Admining a current setup.

And yeah gently caress share point

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

Got shot #1 today!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Good to see people who have gone the extra mile to protect those around them rewarded with something that will potentially save their life.

I especially enjoyed the senators of my state that both called COVID the flu and were anti mask got theirs ahead of the entire state as well.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
If it's SharePoint Online, as someone who's de-facto become an O365/Teams/SharePoint Online administrator over the past year, I have mostly-positive experiences with it. There's some things that suck about it, like you can't set an explicit deny, or have a folder in the root of a library called "Forms", but the advantages are so much better than traditional SMB, especially when remote working is critical.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Probing Bob wasn't really an invite to keep talking about it in the thread. poo poo seems all consuming. I mean, it is, it's a pandemic, it is all consuming, but yeah, we could do without the derail please and thanks.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

klosterdev posted:

If it's SharePoint Online, as someone who's de-facto become an O365/Teams/SharePoint Online administrator over the past year, I have mostly-positive experiences with it. There's some things that suck about it, like you can't set an explicit deny, or have a folder in the root of a library called "Forms", but the advantages are so much better than traditional SMB, especially when remote working is critical.

I may be more than a bit jaded because we’re a G3 tenant so most features are not available/likely won’t ever be and the lack of those features is impacting our SP migration to SPO (and I only have admin rights for SPO while still having to support the rest of the non-email Office 365 suite).

For example, we’ve had a ticket open since October about not being able to embed graphics in emails sent with PowerAutomate and haven’t gotten anywhere with Microsoft as to if it’s even supported (it was supported in 2016).

As far as the salary goes, Glassdoor + your metro area should give you a ballpark number to start at.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I agree We already went to a thread title, it should probably stop being a derail after that.

Someone pony up the ten bucks for a custom title/avatar andmove on; thats what the shame option is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Hour 17 of being at work Going great!