Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

LibCrusher posted:

Ima go the other way and say that a budget gaming laptop like a g7-15 would be best for video editing once they strip out all the dumbass gamer bloatware.

I would assume video editing requires a very colour-accurate screen, though, and some gaming laptops don't prioritise that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you want a color accurate screen on a laptop, I believe your only options are a mac, or an XPS

Most people don't expect you to do full time video editing on

A) a laptop
B) not on an external color calibrated monitor

Modern laptops are just stupid fast these days though, even with thermal throttling. About 4 years ago laptops finally got good enough for gaming, I think with 3000 series gpu, we're getting to the point where you can regularly do major computational loads on the laptop

The screens are mostly still universally poo poo, though. At least they aren't 2005-era TN glass anymore

Dell ultrasharp monitors come color calibrated from the factory, and are reasonably priced if you're looking for a workhorse monitor

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

If you want a color accurate screen on a laptop, I believe your only options are a mac, or an XPS

Most people don't expect you to do full time video editing on

A) a laptop
B) not on an external color calibrated monitor

Modern laptops are just stupid fast these days though, even with thermal throttling. About 4 years ago laptops finally got good enough for gaming, I think with 3000 series gpu, we're getting to the point where you can regularly do major computational loads on the laptop

The screens are mostly still universally poo poo, though. At least they aren't 2005-era TN glass anymore

Dell ultrasharp monitors come color calibrated from the factory, and are reasonably priced if you're looking for a workhorse monitor

Does HP still do those dreamcolor screens?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I know Asus has a few models (with OLED) that have Pantone validated displays that cover 100% of DCI-P3.

nerox
May 20, 2001

bull3964 posted:

New G15 up for "Coming Soon" on Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6448848

$1799 for 165hz QHD, 16gb RAM, 1tb SSD, RTX3070 MQ.

What’s the refresh rate on the monitor? I don’t see it in the specs.

Also how are the asus keyboards?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nerox posted:

What’s the refresh rate on the monitor? I don’t see it in the specs.

Also how are the asus keyboards?

165hz, it's in the overview (and in Asus's press release).

quote:

15.6" QHD display with 165Hz refresh rate
The 2560 x 1440 resolution with DCI-P3 boasts impressive color and clarity. Energy-efficient LED backlight.

I know people seemed to generally like the G14 keyboard last year.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I rarely use my desktop anymore and my laptop is getting long in the tooth for gaming, so I am really considering getting one of these, I especially like that it doesn’t have the normal gaming bullshit across the lid.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Anybody have guesses as to how the 3070 will compare to the 2080 max q? Considering upgrading for QHD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mobile RXT3xxx NDA drops on the 26th. There will allegedly be a larger delta between notebook and desktop performance this round compared to RTX2xxx.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arkage posted:

Anybody have guesses as to how the 3070 will compare to the 2080 max q? Considering upgrading for QHD.

I suspect the 3xxx series laptop line will be a bigger drop than typical because of how power hungry Ampere likes to be. You can't just turn up the juice in a laptop like you can a desktop. But I dunno. Maybe it'll have a lot of perf headroom and run hot, maybe they will have some other tricks up their sleeve. Hard to tell until it releases.

On desktop the 3070 is about 35% better per watt than the 2080. That's probably the ballpark, though I think they'll tune down the 3070 more aggressively.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 20, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Isn't each generation's xx70 roughly equivalent to a xx80ti?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

jokes posted:

Isn't each generation's xx70 roughly equivalent to a xx80ti?

Desktop, roughly. Laptops depends a lot more.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I dropped my laptop like an idiot and shattered part of the IPS display. Other than the display damage and some warping on the case, everything boots up fine so I'm guessing it's just a matter of replacing the screen + digitizer.

Is there a recommended website for getting this sort of replacement or do I just buy whatever's on Amazon?

It's an Acer Spin 5, for what its worth.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The only time I had to do this, I got mine from laptopscreen.com

That was fine, except I lost whatever color calibration happened; "Facebook blue" is forever now "Facebook slightly violet" everything else is perfect on my ye olde x230

Depending on how your laptop was put together, it's probably a pretty straightforward process to replace, you'll need a Phillips head screwdriver and a plastic shim of some sort, maybe more, just be gentle with the data cable to the display

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Find the part number and head to eBay, there should be a few pulled from laptops you can buy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Asus G14 on sale for $850 at Best Buy, open box models as low as $640 depending on what your local stock looks like
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403425

AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS 8C/16T 2.9 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo, 12MB Cache)
14" 1920x1080 IPS Display, 60 Hz, 300 nits, 72% sRGB
8GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM (soldered) + 1 DIMM Slot
512GB PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Graphics Card

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

NVidia is dropping MaxQ with the 3000 series. Now every GPU will be able to have their power settings set by the OEM: https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDI...t.515922.0.html

I wonder if this power throttling of Ampere is impacting performance to the point that Nvidia would just rather pass on the responsibility to the OEM. That will make it a bit more of a pain when comparing laptops. With 2000 & 1000 series you can just look at the GPU and get a sense for the heat and performance, with 3000 series you'll need to look at each model's implementation.

Some power-limited 3070 or even 3080s might make for some interesting more-portable performance profiles though, that's kinda cool.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Been looking at preorder options available so far for a QHD with the 30x series with a Ryzen.

That Bestbuy Zephyrus linked earlier seems like one of the only listings, and seemingly a pretty good deal. The only other I've seen so far is a ROG Strix Scar from xoticpc:

https://xoticpc.com/collections/ultimate-series-gaming-laptops/products/asus-rog-strix-scar-15-g533qs-xs98q

It's $2700, but also has the 3080. Not that a 3080 is worth an extra $900 over the Bestbuy offer.

Razer has a good number of QHD's w/30x but I've heard they severely throttle the power to keep fan noise down, plus horror stories with customer service, plus no Ryzen.

Speaking of which, is the any real info on the higher end intel vs amd processors? According to CPU benchmark Ryzen 9 blows away everything Intel has on offer for laptops.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ryzen 9 really does blow everything away. It's a combination of Ryzen finally landing a really nice laptop CPU and Intel having a really disappointing generation. Plus the Ryzen on board graphics is actually pretty decent so you can lean on that a lot especially when on battery.

I don't think we know much about 3xxx series laptops yet. If you see above each laptop OEM will be able to set the power usage, so we have no idea how much something might jump.

The SCAR line is supposed to be more like a desktop replacement than a portable machine. The new Rog G15 or G14 is probably what most people will want if they want something portable, but I don't know if there are any pre-orders available on that yet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lockback posted:

Ryzen 9 really does blow everything away. It's a combination of Ryzen finally landing a really nice laptop CPU and Intel having a really disappointing generation. Plus the Ryzen on board graphics is actually pretty decent so you can lean on that a lot especially when on battery.

Yeah and the advantage is even bigger when you compare things like a Intel 6 core laptop to a Ryzen 8 CPU in multicore applications like media encoding.

The other benefit is I believe Ryzen laptops tend to be slightly cheaper as well which is a big help if you have a stricter budget especially for $1000 sub-CPUs....

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Could I get a laptop replacement recommendation? I don't game, Photoshop is the most intensive program I run, and I just want something durable that will last me a while. Back in 2015 I bought this one on recommendation from the thread: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PYYDMQ/

It was great until the corner hinge cracked open a year ago and I fixed it with epoxy but now it cracked open again and I should probably just get a new one. Amazon says the "updated" version is this one, what do you all think?: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-G3-15-3500-dp-B089HV9HJ4/dp/B089HV9HJ4/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

FCKGW posted:

Asus G14 on sale for $850 at Best Buy, open box models as low as $640 depending on what your local stock looks like
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403425

AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS 8C/16T 2.9 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo, 12MB Cache)
14" 1920x1080 IPS Display, 60 Hz, 300 nits, 72% sRGB
8GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM (soldered) + 1 DIMM Slot
512GB PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Graphics Card
This one looks fine and is cheaper, honestly I have no idea what I am doing here so any advice would be much appreciated.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

moana posted:

This one looks fine and is cheaper, honestly I have no idea what I am doing here so any advice would be much appreciated.

I'd get the G14 over the dell for sure. That G14 is probably a great machine for you, very portable and very good build quality. You could probably go a little cheaper if you wanted and lose some of the build quality, but if you are the kind of person who is going to go 4 years between laptops the G14 is a helluva deal. Note that it's a slightly smaller screen, but I love mine.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Thank you, sold! I will be back in 5 years with the exact same question. This is the best thread :3:

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
How do I get the barbeque sauce off my keyboard because I've been eating BBQ Chicken wings while posting and my keyboard is unclean, suggestions?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lick it off

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Just rinse it with some water?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cheese Thief posted:

How do I get the barbeque sauce off my keyboard because I've been eating BBQ Chicken wings while posting and my keyboard is unclean, suggestions?

Wet wipes

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cheese Thief posted:

search SA for "keyboard goop", it is somewhere in the archives and is full of good advice on this topic

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

search SA for "keyboard goop", it is somewhere in the archives and is full of good advice on this topic

I deeply regret reading that goon keyboard cleaning thread back in the day...

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Are there any upcoming ryzen 4000/5000 touchscreen/2 in 1s in the 14-15 inch range that have a decent quality screen? The lenovo flex and the current hp envy only have a 250 nit screen. My current laptop works fine for my needs of light gaming (indies and the occasional league of legends game, for reference) and browsing so no rush but the battery is toast.

e: I guess an intel model would be fine too, but from what i understand the ryzens are ideal for midrange price-wise.

Argona fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 24, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Brightness is only really important for situations like taking a laptop outside and also tends to be associated with $1000+ models due to the requiring a more expensive panel.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there a personal laptop line that still has buttons on the trackpad (i.e. left-click and right-click).

I have family member that really likes having those buttons, and they are looking for a 17" Windows laptop. Their budget is pretty open. I see that Dell has some business lines that keep the click buttons but looking for something not weighing a ton.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dell is what I was going to suggest. HP too:
https://smile.amazon.com/HP-Compute...direct=1&sr=1-1

All 17" are going to weigh a lot, but if this is mostly "using at the dining room table" it's fine.

Probably a bunch of good choices here:
https://smile.amazon.com/Laptops-MS...ef=sr_nr_p_89_3

I'm not in love with the HP line but it's ok and given your requirements it's probably the right choice.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

So I popped in here a few pages ago asking for some recommendations for a Windows laptop for my wife. Some posters recommended she just get one of the new Macbooks and after talking with her about what she actually wants to do with her laptop it's looking like that's what we are going to buy.

One question I had for the thread, if she is just browsing the internet, watching some streaming video, and making the occasional call using her webcam, is she likely to see any major difference in performance between the 8gb and 16gb of RAM versions of the Macbook M1 Air?

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 25, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not really, especially if she sticks to Safari.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Note that M1 Ram is NOT upgradeable. She'd probably be fine with 8GB but I'd consider 16 a little more than usual because even if you paid apple there are no expansion slots.

That said I doubt she'd notice any difference in any software she'd currently be running.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

bull3964 posted:

165hz, it's in the overview (and in Asus's press release).

I know people seemed to generally like the G14 keyboard last year.

Yeah. Typing this on one, and it feels pretty good to me. Not cramped, key presses have a decent positive feel. I like it a lot better than my work Latitude 7410. The backlight is hopeless and you should just turn it off. It does lack dedicated home/end/pg up/pg down keys but five minutes with autohotkey will take care of that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

etalian posted:

Brightness is only really important for situations like taking a laptop outside and also tends to be associated with $1000+ models due to the requiring a more expensive panel.

:lol::lol::lol:

The brightness difference going from a 2017 macbook pro to a 2015 macbook pro is jaw dropping. I finally talked my boss into letting me upgrade my 2015 mbp to a 2021 model, I am so happy

No it's not just due to older backlights being dimmer, the 2015 is something like 125 nits darker than the 2017. And the contrast is horrific too.

I don't count myself as a brightness snob, but holy hell, if you spend all day looking at text, that higher brightness/increased contrast makes a tremendous difference, especially once you get to the other side of 35

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

There's an article here stating the new ASUS G15 has a feature in the settings that allows the fans to be actually 100% switched off in silent mode. Is there any info on whether that will be in the 2021 G14 too? It was one of the things that put me off buying it last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcLi8W0Ysmc

Flow X13 review. Expensive, but it looks like it works and works well. The price ($3200 with everything) isn't going to be for a lot of people. But if you wanted a powerful portable machine that trades blows with a desktop when doing docked gaming, then there's nothing else like it.

Again, I think the biggest advantage this has is that the eGPU is actually portable. So you could take this whole thing with you somewhere. It's debatable as to whether or not you are gaining anything over just getting 15" or 17" with the same GPU. But if you have the right niche for it, it's going to be perfect.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 26, 2021