Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts

See that little swining hammock kitty up there, having fun? A little cat told me, that the hammock kitty wants to do some cool changes in and around the house. New furniture? New colors? Maybe a new door? I dunno, the kitty is very sleepy, so we have to figure out what it wants!

Earlier last year in a collective effort that, admittedly, mostly happened in QCS, we were able with the help of our tech master astral to update BYOB's stylesheet, get a special color on the spaceship and our new posting (and also mod) buttons you see right now! We thought about how we can further improve the posting home of ours visually, so the hammock kitty needs the help of the endless creativity of yobbers to make that happen.
Here's what we had in mind, with no specific idea what to go for:

A custom probation image

Yes, this is possible! As you may know, our friends in CSPAM have one and while the kitty jail is great, everyone has those and I believe that we, as the most colorful forum of the universe, can challenge CSPAM's monopoly on custom probe images. As far as I know from our extremely chill tech department, this is not a major headache to accomplish and I do believe that those images just need to follow the regular guidelines of avatars (max 180x180px, max 150 kB - although it might be possible we can stretch the file size a bit, I'm gonna ask!) and have to be GIF, PNG or JPG. Of course, they need to be work-safe and I am very sorry to tell you, yes, that does include nude spawn as well as a bra-less fully sexual snail with human titties.

Thread Tags
A few months ago we talked about tags in the mod forum and Cyrano told us about them and how many it is. The answer is: A lot. Like, 800 or so a lot. He posted an image that we are free to share and because it is so many I will not post them here but instead ask you to follow the link to this thread by Julias in ADTRW that has them all embedded as preview images. (obviously note that this is a screenshot and most of these tags move in some way or blink or whatever). They did a vote for them over there and we can do it in a similar way if you want, or just throw in suggestions and see what is popular or something.
Anyways, I already sneaked in some tags a few months ago and you can see all of the currently available ones when making a new thread (which you should do right now anyways if you ask me). I would open up discussion for anything you want to get rid of and any new ones you'd like to add from the list in the link above.

Please note that adding tags is quite some effort for the admins to do because radium was not a friend of convenient solutions, so if you guys end up requesting 500 new tags and removing all others, uhhh, the admins might punish me by cleaning the waste dump or something. I think our current tags are mostly fine, but we could cut some of those we never use and add a bunch of new ones in exchange, but I'm very open for your ideas here!
Adding new custom thread tags not listed in the link is also possible, so if you have a fun idea let's do it, but since we already have hundreds available and uploading them is a lot of work for admins, let's not overdo it. I know how crazy you guys can be :peanut:

Further improvements to the BYOB stylesheet
Do you think the hammock cat should swing more in the middle, or in the right corner? Should we get more or other colors into BYOB in whatever way? Do you consider the fact that the post thread button during thread creation is not animated a warcrime? Do you want a million ants crawling in the background at all times? Let's hear your ideas of any kind! I have no idea how possible or impossible stuff you guys come up with may be, I'll have to consult with astral and Jeffrey for almost anything here to see if it's a) possible and c) without major coding work that they have to spend on duct taping the rest of SA, but we can create a list of ideas or even examples and get stuff done either now or somewhen in the future!

For all of these things, except thread tags, it would be necessary that we can get our grand BYOB artists to actually make the stuff we want to add or change, too, because astral is not an actual artist and Jeffrey is a very busy bitcoin billionaire, so either way we can't expect them to work for us, but they can add or change stuff for us that we made. So I'd say, let's hear some ideas and let's see what we can get done to improve little kitty's house!

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

if anyone has a funny idea without ability to make it i will try my best to help, so even if you have a very half baked idea just post

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Goons Are Gifts

Yes, everyone :justpost: anything you got, feel free to use this thread for ideas or discussion or whatever, we need all hands on hammock kitty's belly here

For example, one idea we toyed around with for a brief moment in the mod forum was a probe image related to the hammock kitty. While obviously it is unacceptable to put this kitty behind bars, we can have something involving the swinging kitty and abandon the jail motive entirely.

nut

i got an idea for a probe image where it's something about being on vacation instead of in cyberprison

alnilam

i know from cspam that the quote text can be changed - something other than Alnilam posted:

I hope the probation text can also be changed cause "User went on vacation for this post" and "On vacation for 6 hours" would be lovely along with a new probe av

Goons Are Gifts

Oh poo poo right, I completely forgot about quote texts!
I think astral mentioned somewhere that the probe message is also not entirely unchangable and I hope I remember correctly because that would rule

alnilam

nut posted:

i got an idea for a probe image where it's something about being on vacation instead of in cyberprison

example of the current quote text and also throwing my friend nut a bit of that sweet sweet yellow

ty manifisto

biosterous

"i appreciate that $user posted"

"my rad pal $user said"

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

BoldFrankensteinMir

Hammock kitty needs boots and a hat with a feather, we realized this during christmas movies, Puss n' Boots is public domain and objectively 10% cooler than a naked cat.

Stoner Sloth

what about 'user is too high too poast in byob for x hours'?

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

nut

Stoner Sloth posted:

what about 'user is too high too poast in byob for x hours'?

although lol i fear that it might reinforce the false belief that yob is for stoners. my evidence is that it is a belief that kept me from posting here for a couple years lol

BoldFrankensteinMir

How about "User is chilling out" and it's an MSpaint of a frozen yelling person?

Sig by Heather Papps

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Heather Papps

hello friend

heather papps is on vacation for 18 more hours
e:

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 20, 2021

alnilam

lol great stuff so far

ty manifisto

Heather Papps

hello friend

also the cd-i style link tag would be amazing

nut

could the probe av title be a gif of a sign that is kinda dangling and says "on vacation" and then the pic can just be a cat chilling like the ones in hp's pics

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

biosterous posted:

"i appreciate that $user posted"

"my rad pal $user said"

I like both of these alot

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

nut posted:

could the probe av title be a gif of a sign that is kinda dangling and says "on vacation" and then the pic can just be a cat chilling like the ones in hp's pics

/
e:they are janky but i like it? tryin' to match the og hammock kitty aesthetic

alnilam

Heather Papps posted:

/

yes YES

:agreed: on the slight jankiness

ty manifisto

alnilam

I like how the cats are clearly on vacation but also kinda look like they're thinking about what they've done

ty manifisto

Heather Papps

hello friend

alnilam posted:

I like how the cats are clearly on vacation but also kinda look like they're thinking about what they've done

that maine coone is not on vacation. they are on the run.

alnilam

Heather Papps posted:

that maine coone is not on vacation. they are on the run.

ty manifisto

nut

Heather Papps posted:

/

these r amazing imo the first reads best

posting smiling

Heather Papps posted:

/

haha

Heather Papps

hello friend

nut posted:

imo the first reads best

in an extremely byob set of circumstances i can't find the source image i used for this one. it was a google image search for "vacation cat" or something to that effect, and i resized it and flattened it so i could lazy copy/paste it into imgur, so i lost the data for everything outside the 180 pixels square.

since realizing this i have spent maybe an hour trying to retrace my clicks to bring me to this image again but i've failed and tineye has some bad news

"tropical vacation cat" thanks history!
if anyone wants a crack at this or to save for personal use

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 20, 2021

nut

i wouldn't mind taking a crack at some thread tags if anybody has some ideas

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
add alt text to the cat so if you hover over it and pet it with the mouse cursor a little "purr purr purr" pops up imo

also we definitely need some kind of special celebratory stylesheet for August 1 so that everyone knows it's bob harrison day and to honor the lil kitty

barnold fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 20, 2021

Goons Are Gifts

For thread tags you can go ahead and browse through Julias' list here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952515&pagenumber=1&perpage=40
We can add any of those and sort out any of those we already have, admins can just change them in byob from there

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

The butt ox needs to be a thread tag if it is not already

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Prof. Crocodile

Glutes Are Great posted:

For thread tags you can go ahead and browse through Julias' list here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952515&pagenumber=1&perpage=40
We can add any of those and sort out any of those we already have, admins can just change them in byob from there

I think this list is incomplete. I don't see :dippy: anywhere.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

i will help in any way i can. i also want to put on the record that we need a special CSS for Bob Harrison Day on august 1

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I think this list is incomplete. I don't see :dippy: anywhere.

:agreed: we need :dippy:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Heather Papps posted:

/

Brøthër these are very good

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Heather Papps posted:

heather papps is on vacation for 18 more hours
e:

the homemade ice cream bucket speaks 2 me. Looks like a white mountain™ number

Goons Are Gifts

I can't say I disagree. Alright lemme ask the tech gurus about how possible this is!

cruft

Heather Papps posted:

/

These are amazing. I might even try to get probated for the first time just so I can have one.

E: apparently I've been probated once. I wonder why?

BoldFrankensteinMir

cruft posted:

These are amazing. I might even try to get probated for the first time just so I can have one.

E: apparently I've been probated once. I wonder why?

Jeez, just once? You need to get more ornery, friend! We've been forums members roughly the same length and I've been probed eight times by now, and I'm a novice!

Edit- also agreeing that HP's is a powerful slinging and I'm feeling the urge to get probed again too.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 21, 2021

Sig by Heather Papps

Goons Are Gifts

Alright, in terms of thread tags I found out that uploading them is just an admin and not a coding thing, so custom new thread tags (in theory also the BYOB tag on the forum index) can be made and uploaded by the admins.

So yeah go nuts!! Except not a crazy amount of new tags please, we don't want to drown the admins in work for something that only benefits byob, when we already have 800 available :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

a double-byob tag for threads that are more byob than the byob tag

also, the link one that already exists