Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The trick would be to NOT require the player to do ridiculous amounts of micromanagement.

Many mistborn powers could be passive with a flashy sound or visual cue when they trigger. No need to target individual bullets, just have some bullets get pulled into your heavily-armored chestplate for a duration if you're burning iron, as a passive effect. If you flare it, an on-demand effect, it would increase the percentage of bullets pulled in but also deplete your reserves.

I think the emotional allomancy could be the most fun. Not only could you influence others' dialogue, but you could be influenced, with more extreme options showing up whenever. Maybe if you rank up Zinc enough you'd get a new option that lets you notice there's a Rioter nearby or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The proper way to do a Mistborn video game is to set it ~200 years before the Mistborn books. Set it during a house war. That way you have a lot of reasons to use your powers and kill people in Luthadel. In the end, the Lord Ruler shows up like Darth Vader and kills you.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

The proper way to do a Mistborn video game is to set it ~200 years before the Mistborn books. Set it during a house war. That way you have a lot of reasons to use your powers and kill people in Luthadel. In the end, the Lord Ruler shows up like Darth Vader and kills you.

A Mistborn House War you say? :v:

(I've played it, it's fun)

And yea, I would trust Arkane to make a good Mistborn game but that's probably one of the few studios I think could do something well.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Make it a story rich side scroller/metroidvania with different prota's, each with their own combination of allomancy and ferulchemy. 3d won't work, but 2d should be fine.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Make it a Bioware-like group RPG where everyone on your team is a misting.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Rougelike where your powers are random. If you luck into a Mistborn the game is on easy mode.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ethiser posted:

Rougelike where your powers are random. If you luck into a Mistborn the game is on easy mode.

when u spawn as an atium misting but atium no longer exists :( :( :(

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Mordiceius posted:

While it would be pretty much bullshit, it would be hilarious if you spent 70 hours playing as some awesome Mistborn, destroying other houses and such, and then at the end (since the Lord Ruler is, you know, God), you actually switch to the Lord Ruler and the final section is showing how absolutely NOTHING a mistborn is against the LR.

That said, I would pay cash money for a Mistborn open world game set in Luthadel before Kelsier and co. are even born. gently caress being a member of one of the houses, let me be another skaa mistborn so I can go on a rampage against obligators and steel inquisitors.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Aluminum gnat hardmode

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lucas Archer posted:

That said, I would pay cash money for a Mistborn open world game set in Luthadel before Kelsier and co. are even born. gently caress being a member of one of the houses, let me be another skaa mistborn so I can go on a rampage against obligators and steel inquisitors.

Start game as a noble > prologue at an opulent ball > be sure to lay hints of how lovely skaa life is > house war starts > you barely survive, house wiped out > you snap, yay mistborn > live among the skaa, learning your powers > build a skaa rebellion/movement so you have the power to get revenge on the other house > succeed > Lord Ruler Notices > Boss fight > Holy poo poo did we just kill the LR? > lol jk he pulls the sword out of his eye and uses it to murder the gently caress out of you > the game seamlessly gives the player control of the Lord Ruler. > Final mission: wipe out everyone who threatened to gently caress up the balance > end

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I would play any and all of these hypothetical Mistborn/Cosmere video games. The House War card game looks extremely fun for when people are sick of playing Catan.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh I'd play them too, I'm just not confident they'd be very good :v:

Same with the movies - I'll go see them, but if DMG actually makes anything I'm not confident they'll be very good either.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Mistborn needs to be animated there's no other way it can possibly work.

Give it to the Last Airbender/Dragon Prince folks

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think an animated Mistborn would be awesome and I wild watch it easily.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I actually asked him about video games at a con once, he said Kingdoms of Amalur crashed so hard many publishers balk at him asking, this was a few years back but he definitely wants to do one.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah. You absolutely do not make the Mistborn trilogy live action. Absolutely zero way that could be any fraction as satisfying as the books.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Man they really need to get working on an Alloy of Law series before Timothy Olyphant gets too old.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I really don't understand the "live action won't work" sentiment. Have you guys seen The Boys or any of the three million Marvel/DC movies?

What couldn't be accomplished with CGI?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

We’ve also seen the bazillion CW superhero shows. And that level of quality is far more the norm for television series.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CW?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That’s the name of the network.

They have a bunch of DC comics shows like Arrow, The Flash, etc. All of middling quality.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So then it's a budget problem and not with the medium itself

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Give it to the Last Airbender/Dragon Prince folks

Or to WIT Studio (Attack on Titan).

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

So then it's a budget problem and not with the medium itself

uhh.....yeah lol. any b sanderson adaptation would have to have a massive budget to work in live action and it would inevitably have most action sequences cut down or outright removed to save money

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My point is that saying things like, "needs to be animated there's no other way it can possibly work." and "Absolutely zero way that (live action) could be any fraction as satisfying as the books." is just nonsense to me because there is clearly a way. It might be expensive, but it's not impossible.

Amazon or HBO or any other deep pocketed network could do a tremendous job with live action/CGI.

Just don't out-pace the source material lol.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Y’all realize Mistborn has been optioned and Brandon is writing the screenplay right? And most of his other stuff has been optioned as well. Something will get made into a tv show or movie at some point and I doubt it will be animated.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

depends very heavily on how Wheel of Time does, I think

if that show pays off, someone will throw money at one of Sanderson's properties, since it'll be proof you can do high-magic live action with a large-but-not-insane budget and that there's demand for fantasy that isn't purely GoT/Witcher dark/gritty stuff

brandon basically said this in some interview, iirc -- people have bought options for his stuff for years now, but hollywood needs a proof of concept that this kind of thing can work

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 20, 2021

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The Tower, done in a nihilistic Battle of the Bastards with no hope for safety would be amazing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Daric posted:

Y’all realize Mistborn has been optioned and Brandon is writing the screenplay right? And most of his other stuff has been optioned as well. Something will get made into a tv show or movie at some point and I doubt it will be animated.

Yea I mentioned DMG in a previous post -

https://www.dmg-entertainment.com/films/way-of-kings/

https://www.dmg-entertainment.com/films/mistborn/

https://www.dmg-entertainment.com/ip-universes/cosmere-universe/

Last I heard they had like the writers from xXx (the Vin Diesel movies) and like Saw 5 or something. Not exactly giving me hope.

I hope Amazon's WoT is great. Too bad Covid has hosed up filming. Actually I guess with vaccinations available now maybe they'll be able to get back to work sooner than later? Hmm...

mewse
May 2, 2006

eke out posted:

depends very heavily on how Wheel of Time does, I think

if that show pays off, someone will throw money at one of Sanderson's properties, since it'll be proof you can do high-magic live action with a large-but-not-insane budget and that there's demand for fantasy that isn't purely GoT/Witcher dark/gritty stuff

brandon basically said this in some interview, iirc -- people have bought options for his stuff for years now, but hollywood needs a proof of concept that this kind of thing can work

Mostly off topic but I'm hoping the success of the queen's gambit starts a shift away from brutal grimdark murder/rape/kill television

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I really don't understand the "live action won't work" sentiment. Have you guys seen The Boys or any of the three million Marvel/DC movies?

What couldn't be accomplished with CGI?

If the show is just going to be a CGI fest, I'd rather just have any adaptations of the books be completely animated.

Here's a shocking fact for you: the MCU films look like complete dogshit.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

If the show is just going to be a CGI fest, I'd rather just have any adaptations of the books be completely animated.

cgi is, by definition, animation, so for a consistent visual presentation they should have the whole project be animated instead of just the action sequences

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Taste is subjective. I'd much much prefer actual human actors and CGI that won't age well than staring at clowny anime facial expressions

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Daric posted:

Have the rights actually be sold, or is it merely "optioned"? Optioning is a cheap investment for companies interested in acquiring IP to limit potential future costs if a property takes off and becomes worth something in the future. Basically almost everything beyond a certain minimum level gets optioned because it's cheap. That doesn't mean that it's going to be made, or that if it is made, that the author necessarily has any input into the process or say over the final product.

Being "optioned" isn't a big deal unless the option is actually exercised; until then it's just a little extra cash for the author. Options for film rights to books come cheap, too, and there's no guarantee that the author gets paid even if the option is exercised - and there's a bunch of steps that a production company will take between an IP being optioned and the option being formally exercised where the production company might just decide that it's not worth pursuing - getting a screenplay written is a very early step in the process and says almost nothing about whether or not something eventually gets made.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sab669 posted:

clowny anime facial expressions

Yikes

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
With Mistborn, Brandon owns the rights again.

DMG owns Stormlight, Cineflex owns Legion, Universal owns Skyward, and Stuart Beatie is working on an animated series for Alcatraz.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Again, taste is subjective.

It's cool if you guys like it, but that art style isn't my bag. Regardless of taste, saying that's the only way his stuff can be adapted to the screen is OBJECTIVELY not true.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Olesh posted:

Have the rights actually be sold, or is it merely "optioned"? Optioning is a cheap investment for companies interested in acquiring IP to limit potential future costs if a property takes off and becomes worth something in the future. Basically almost everything beyond a certain minimum level gets optioned because it's cheap. That doesn't mean that it's going to be made, or that if it is made, that the author necessarily has any input into the process or say over the final product.

Being "optioned" isn't a big deal unless the option is actually exercised; until then it's just a little extra cash for the author. Options for film rights to books come cheap, too, and there's no guarantee that the author gets paid even if the option is exercised - and there's a bunch of steps that a production company will take between an IP being optioned and the option being formally exercised where the production company might just decide that it's not worth pursuing - getting a screenplay written is a very early step in the process and says almost nothing about whether or not something eventually gets made.

yeah the yearly updates brandon does go into a lot of detail about where each IP is in the development process, and was extremely clear-eyed that nothing is close at all (and it sounds like a very optimistic timeline might be "mid/late 2020s")

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sab669 posted:

Taste is subjective. I'd much much prefer actual human actors and CGI that won't age well than staring at clowny anime facial expressions

Batman The Animated Series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Again, taste is subjective.

It's cool if you guys like it, but that art style isn't my bag. Regardless of taste, saying that's the only way his stuff can be adapted to the screen is OBJECTIVELY not true.

the most appropriate format would probably be cgi series like star wars the clone wars