Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

scary ghost dog posted:

the most appropriate format would probably be cgi series like star wars the clone wars

That's a weird way to spell 'whoever made Castlevania for Netflix'

Clone wars style animation for SLA though, that I could get behind. Fits the tone better IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

big mean giraffe posted:

Clone wars style animation for SLA though, that I could get behind. Fits the tone better IMO

CGI would be best for shard plate and chasmfiends I think

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

yeah i was thinking of stormlight. mistborn is absolutely anime

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stormlight is anime, anime sweat drops are spren

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I'd much rather see something animated so it doesn't have to cleverly hide the fantasy elements (or cleverly hide the fact that half the actors aren't trained to do stunts). Even prestige TV like Game of Thrones or the Expanse limits the effects shots and action choreography because of budget and production quality. Regular stuff like The Flash is 90% talking heads because action scenes are too difficult to do properly.

Anime is poo poo, but there is animation that's not anime. Just don't make it horny and it's 80% of the way to not being garbage.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Infinite Karma posted:

I'd much rather see something animated so it doesn't have to cleverly hide the fantasy elements (or cleverly hide the fact that half the actors aren't trained to do stunts). Even prestige TV like Game of Thrones or the Expanse limits the effects shots and action choreography because of budget and production quality. Regular stuff like The Flash is 90% talking heads because action scenes are too difficult to do properly.

Anime is poo poo, but there is animation that's not anime. Just don't make it horny and it's 80% of the way to not being garbage.

Here's Shallan hiding her safe hand like a proper modest woman. Also she's showing 90% of her new DDD titties.

Also I fully think they should do it who framed roger rabbit style where spren are hand animated.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

anime isnt poo poo. look at this https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/117031

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
seeing stormlight animated with the level of care given to demon slayer is about a million times more appealing than seeing a bunch of mediocre tv actors running around in styrofoam armor

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

One Punch Man season 1 single-handedly changed my entire opinion on anime, the animation was INCREDIBLE. The manga is even better, the artist conveys motion through still pictures so well.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

One Punch Man season 1 single-handedly changed my entire opinion on anime, the animation was INCREDIBLE. The manga is even better, the artist conveys motion through still pictures so well.

yeah saying “anime is poo poo” is a dead giveaway that the only anime youve ever seen in saturday morning cartoon trash like pokemon and dragonball z

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
like cmon this is brandon sanderson superpower fight bs as gently caress https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/114116

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Anime isn't poo poo because the animation is bad. Anime is poo poo because of weird horny tropes, shy/antisocial weirdo main characters who are clearly self-inserts for a maladjusted audience, and an insistence on both reducing every character to a single personality trait, and having every character narrate every emotion they experience instead of just showing us.

So you know, the opposite of good writing and storytelling. Visual spectacle is cool and good, but it also needs to be watchable.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

Anime isn't poo poo because the animation is bad. Anime is poo poo because of weird horny tropes, shy/antisocial weirdo main characters who are clearly self-inserts for a maladjusted audience, and an insistence on both reducing every character to a single personality trait, and having every character narrate every emotion they experience instead of just showing us.

every medium has trash in it. you dont see me posting in the kingkiller chronicles thread

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Infinite Karma posted:

So you know, the opposite of good writing and storytelling. Visual spectacle is cool and good, but it also needs to be watchable.

You're really just proving our point. To pretend American media isn't just as full of weird tropes that you're just used to because you grew up with them is disingenuous at best. Most good anime isn't weird high school slice of life perv poo poo either. It's ok to say 'I can't relate to this cultural expression because it's different from what I'm used to.' Saying 'it's poo poo hurf durf weird perverts' just makes you look ignorant and closed-minded.

Pattern and his NO MATING! poo poo is practically ripped from a shonen

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
brandon sanderson’s books are for real the most shounen-rear end literature ive ever read, in every single aspect. if you love cosmere books but hate anime you are deluding yourself

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Daric posted:

Y’all realize Mistborn has been optioned and Brandon is writing the screenplay right? And most of his other stuff has been optioned as well. Something will get made into a tv show or movie at some point and I doubt it will be animated.

I want a show starring Wayne and The Lopen with 90s-style Xena and Hercules campiness.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
How the hell could one even approach something like Kaladin v. Szeth at the end of WoR or Kaladin v. Pursuer at the beginning of RoW or Vin/Elend v. Koloss army with actors and sets and props and poo poo? I can't imagine it any other way than animated. If they put out a Stormlight movie and it turns out great with Batista playing Dalinar and the voice of Morgan Freeman as the Stormfather, I'll eat my words, but I don't think it's possible.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

like cmon this is brandon sanderson superpower fight bs as gently caress https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/114116

No amount of anime gifs will ever make me think, "Hey you know what actually this fundamental style is actually cool".

Giant caricatured eyeballs look stupid to me. That cliche giant sweatdrop is looks dumb to me. That goofy face when the one dude grabs the other dude at 11 second mark in your other link looks dumb to me. The sparkle-sparkle glass shatters and fades looks bad to me.

You can post "Sanderson is anime" a million times, but I'm still going to picture Kaladin flying through the sky fighting Szeth in my head along the lines of Neo vs Agent Smith every single time I read SA and not Goku VS whoever Goku's enemy is.

Some people just don't have an appreciation for certain things, and its anime fans insistence to the contrary that makes people like me and infinite karma dig our heels in all the harder.

Some people don't like metal, I'm not going to link them a hundred different songs going "BUT WAIT HOW ABOUT THIS?" It's OK for people to not like things.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

big mean giraffe posted:

You're really just proving our point. To pretend American media isn't just as full of weird tropes that you're just used to because you grew up with them is disingenuous at best. Most good anime isn't weird high school slice of life perv poo poo either. It's ok to say 'I can't relate to this cultural expression because it's different from what I'm used to.' Saying 'it's poo poo hurf durf weird perverts' just makes you look ignorant and closed-minded.

Pattern and his NO MATING! poo poo is practically ripped from a shonen
This isn't the anime forum, I'm painting with a broad brush. Obviously there is good anime out there. I've seen and enjoyed a lot of good anime, but I'm not complaining about Cowboy Bebop or Demon Slayer or One Punch Man, or even stuff that's a little bit guilty of this like Fullmetal Alchemist.

But it's also a huge turnoff when otherwise good stories and art direction end up with a 5000 year old demigod main character who lifts up girls' skirts and gets nosebleeds when the girl he likes talks to him. The tropes are bad because they're juvenile and break the rules of "show, don't tell."

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If you think anime is bad wait until you see the tens of thousands of hours of soap operas that fill the American airwaves every day, let alone reality TV.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

M_Gargantua posted:

If you think anime is bad wait until you see the tens of thousands of hours of soap operas that fill the American airwaves every day, let alone reality TV.

You leave The Bachelor out of this

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This whole discussion is moot because Sanderson has made it really clear that he doesn't want his works to turn into an animated series, because it pigeonholes the audience.

Also anime is poo poo, the entire genre is completely stained by the overt pedophilic themes that run through it from tip to tail. Even the "good" animation like Studio Ghibli is far from free from this really loving gross trope. I'm really glad Sanderson doesn't want his work to turn into one because giving it that association would really suck.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Sab669 posted:

No amount of anime gifs will ever make me think, "Hey you know what actually this fundamental style is actually cool".

Giant caricatured eyeballs look stupid to me. That cliche giant sweatdrop is looks dumb to me. That goofy face when the one dude grabs the other dude at 11 second mark in your other link looks dumb to me. The sparkle-sparkle glass shatters and fades looks bad to me.

You can post "Sanderson is anime" a million times, but I'm still going to picture Kaladin flying through the sky fighting Szeth in my head along the lines of Neo vs Agent Smith every single time I read SA and not Goku VS whoever Goku's enemy is.

Some people just don't have an appreciation for certain things, and its anime fans insistence to the contrary that makes people like me and infinite karma dig our heels in all the harder.

Some people don't like metal, I'm not going to link them a hundred different songs going "BUT WAIT HOW ABOUT THIS?" It's OK for people to not like things.

Can you not see the difference between 'I can't appreciate the cultural tropes and plot lines of certain animes' because they aren't what I'm used to and 'ANIME IS poo poo!!!!!11'?

Stuff like Castlevania skipped pretty much all of the 'obnoxious anime tropes' too, and is widely praised for story and animation.

Taffer posted:

This whole discussion is moot because Sanderson has made it really clear that he doesn't want his works to turn into an animated series, because it pigeonholes the audience.

I guess that's why he said

Brandon Sanderson in late 2019 posted:

A lot of people ask if I will make animated Mistborn or Stormlight. That's on the table. It will depend on where some of these animation projects like the Castlevania adaptation and things like that, if this continues to be a good, viable method of storytelling. So, it's certainly not off the table, but neither are live action television shows.

He's also a huge weeb and lived in Korea for a while, and is pretty big into the culture. I'd be a lot more surprised if we never saw animated Cosmere stuff.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 20, 2021

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
And a Stormlight thought just to get it back to the books...(RoW spoilers) They mention when Ba-ado-mishram was gemmed, not only were the singers ripped apart, but it affected EVERYONE on Roshar. Everything belonging to Roshar. And if I recall correctly, the humans at the time of Recreance were considered of Roshar.

Maybe the thing the humans lost was their ability to hear the tones of Roshar. The only group of people who avoided the whole False Desolation bullshit were the Listeners, and they could still hear the tones. I wonder if Ba-ado-mishram is found and released, every human in the world will suddenly start hearing music out of nowhere...?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

big mean giraffe posted:

I guess that's why he said

When's that from? One of his WoR release streams he said he wasn't interested in it, I'll try to find the link again.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Lucas Archer posted:

And a Stormlight thought just to get it back to the books...(RoW spoilers) They mention when Ba-ado-mishram was gemmed, not only were the singers ripped apart, but it affected EVERYONE on Roshar. Everything belonging to Roshar. And if I recall correctly, the humans at the time of Recreance were considered of Roshar.

Maybe the thing the humans lost was their ability to hear the tones of Roshar. The only group of people who avoided the whole False Desolation bullshit were the Listeners, and they could still hear the tones. I wonder if Ba-ado-mishram is found and released, every human in the world will suddenly start hearing music out of nowhere...?

Humans could never hear the tones, they aren't native to Roshar.

BAM messing up all of Roshar IMO leads credence to the theory that the unmade were once powerful spren of Roshar 'unmade' like how the fused were 'unmaking' the sibling. They served a function of sorts we aren't aware of yet, but will find out about in the next book I assume because Shallan has her book of 'all the poo poo' from Shadesmar

Taffer posted:

When's that from? One of his WoR release streams he said he wasn't interested in it, I'll try to find the link again.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/395-icon-2019/#e13281

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

All I want is Adolin's duel from WoR to be shot and commentated as if it were a pro wrestling match, as god clearly intended.

HIT HIM WITH THE HELM! THE HELM! *crowd goes wild*

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The “anime is poo poo” take is not only incredibly stupid and ignorant, but also bordering on racist.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lucas Archer posted:

so the question is what did they gently caress up with capturing the Thrill

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

They know how to locate where they stored it, right? Book 5 hopefully will involve both releasing and 'remaking' the unmade to help restore balance to Roshar after they find out how badly BAM messed things up. I also have a theory that she was (originally) an important part of bonds and how they function, so her getting 'cut off' had a lot of really nasty side-effects for anyone Connected to her. Either that or she was the equivalent of the Sibling and just did the bondsmith stuff for Odium's side as a roundabout way to get powers

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

The “anime is poo poo” take is not only incredibly stupid and ignorant, but also bordering on racist.

its basically the same as saying western fantasy literature is poo poo because ancient but beautiful elves sleeping with normal aged humans is gross and orcs are a metaphor for foreigners and minorities

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

no indication everyone is Connected to the Thrill though, it only offers powers to people its in close proximity to. there's clearly a major distinction in Unmade between sapient ones and more animalistic ones

i think the commonality among Unmade is going to be that they're all spren of Big Ideas That Sapient Creatures All Think About, like combat or celebration, but there were different power levels based on how important and pervasive the concept was. we know the Sibling could be Unmade, so it's no stretch to think that the Stormfather or Nightmother could be Unmade as well, it's just they're heavily invested and strong enough to defend themselves -- but I think they're all fundamentally the same thing, demigod spren

and whatever BAM represented, it seems like she was closer to the Stormfather in sentience and importance, rather than one of the animalistic ones like the thrill or the heart of the revel

imo a good question would be whether there would be Consequences To Roshar for capturing Sja-Anat, considering she seems to be the one other major sapient unmade that we know about. i kinda suspect that there wouldn't be much of a problem comparatively, because BAM is special somehow and that's how she was able to make connections to everyone

although dai-gonarthis and the dustmother are basically still totally mysteries and could be sapient

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 20, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

big mean giraffe posted:

They know how to locate where they stored it, right?

Nah they threw it into the ocean lol so they're gonna have to try and track it down in Shadesmar somehow, assuming the Ghostbloods or Ishar's Tukari haven't already gotten to it

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Leng posted:

Nah they threw it into the ocean lol so they're gonna have to try and track it down in Shadesmar somehow, assuming the Ghostbloods or Ishar's Tukari haven't already gotten to it

Sunk in the ocean doesn't necessarily mean they can't easily locate it, just means it's really hard to find if you don't know where to look. WOB also states it's more secure than we think, and he has more info about it's storage but it wasn't the right time to put it into RoW.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

in the ocean in the vault that the dawnshard used to be in, maybe

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tunicate posted:

Stormlight is anime, anime sweat drops are spren

OH MY GOD. How did that not click for me? I've had trouble visualizing them until now.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Leng posted:

Tunicate posted:

in the ocean in the vault that the dawnshard used to be in, maybe

Exactly, there was something to the effect of "oh my god it's idiotic they would just completely lose it" and Brandon said something to the effect it's secure and they can get at it again. The Dawnshard vault seems the most likely option that we know about

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Everyone saying Stormlight Archives should bring anime is objectively wrong. It deserves all the bad acting and worse sfx and tongue-in-cheek cheesiness of Big Trouble in Little China.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

watching the youtube video of brandon taking questions on shardcast and very excited about [stormlight/mistborn spoilers] him saying, "well i had to confirm thaidakar's identity because there's a whole lot of Kelsier in Mistborn Era 3"

also
- confirms that Ghostbloods are extremely independent and just because Kelsier (on another planet) says something, doesn't mean people automatically obey.
- the "no fighting other ghostbloods" is a strong rule made to try to rein in the kind of people who'd be attracted to his crews, but are spread out so far he can't personally make sure no one is backstabbing eachother
- kelsier doesn't really have an "Avatar" it's like a seon + showmanship, he just calls it one to make people think he's capable of getting to roshar in a meaningful, physical way (but he absolutely cannot get off Scadrial right now)

eke out fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I really need to read Mistborn series 2 at some point. I prefer to curl up with a physical paperback, but outside of a library card what's the cheapest way to legally get those books in any non-audiobook format these days?