Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Season 2 thread
Season 1 thread

It's the third season of Non Non Biyori! Based on the manga by Atto, which has been licensed in English by Seven Seas Entertainment, and streaming on Crunchyroll along with the first two seasons.

I've never heard of this before, what is it?
Non Non Biyori is a slice-of-life series set in a rural town deep in the countryside, where there aren't even enough kids to fill the local elementary school. So they all hang out in the same classroom and do mundane things together.

Is there anything different for this season?
No.

Really?
Okay, fine, there's a new character who seems to be getting some focus in the first two episodes:

Her name is Akane Shinoda and Konomi seems to be trolling her helping her with her stage fright by introducing her to the rest of the cast.
But apart from that, the OP is still by nano.RIPE and every punch line is still on a five-second delay, so it's not that different.

Who are these kids?
So far we've seen:

Renge Miyauchi - first grader of great wisdom and unparalleled creativity, who understands life, death, and the temptation of shovels.

Hotaru Ichijou - fifth grader from the city who hit her growth spurt real early. Level of maturity depends entirely on who is looking at her at the time.

Natsumi Koshigaya - seventh grader, but she'd rather be playing outside. Whatever just happened wasn't her fault.

Komari Koshigaya - eighth grader, but her sister is way taller than she is. Voiced by Kana Asumi - if you've ever seen anything else with her, you can probably work out everything there is to know about this character from there.

Kazuho Miyauchi - Runs her family's farm, raises her sister Renge, and is also the only schoolteacher. Last seen asleep.

Hikage Miyauchi - Middle child of the Miyauchi sisters. Goes to school in Tokyo. By Shinkansen.

Konomi Fujimiya - Area high schooler, so not seen in class with the rest of the kids. Also possible limb-detaching monster, stay alert.

Candy Store - some people say she has an actual name, but these people are wrong. It's Candy Store.

Suguru Koshigaya - silent bodhisattva.

there's a few more we haven't met yet this season, but I've wasted far too much time on this OP already

Should I watch it?
Within the genre of mellow, low-stakes therapy shows, the first two seasons were generally regarded as among the best. I'm expecting good things, and also frogs.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

claiming this thread for hikage

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Someone posted a Vigne=Hikage image on discord and now that's all I can think about re: Hikage.

Also this show is pretty good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nyanpasu

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

this is still my favorite anime though i don't really have anything new to say about it. the formula of slow, pretty directing + awkward silence punchlines never gets old

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yay for more chill anime vibes from these little gremlins! :dance:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nyanpasu!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I haven't been reading the manga, do they even inch the charicter's ages forward? I feel like adding high school characters like they are would be a good first step towards doing that and I think that's how the season will end, but I could be wrong and they just keep things the same forever lol

I know it's normal for most TV to stay roughly the same throughout their seasons, but it is a little unnerving to me just how the same Non Non Biyori seasons are. Still love it though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

an actual dog posted:

I haven't been reading the manga, do they even inch the charicter's ages forward? I feel like adding high school characters like they are would be a good first step towards doing that and I think that's how the season will end, but I could be wrong and they just keep things the same forever lol

I know it's normal for most TV to stay roughly the same throughout their seasons, but it is a little unnerving to me just how the same Non Non Biyori seasons are. Still love it though.

They moved up a grade last season iirc.

Also crossposting form the Winter thread

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the anime intentionally doesn’t move time forward, randomly hopping around. Its an idealisation of country life, stuck in time and unchanging. Actual progress would work against that

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah the whole manga still takes place in the same year afaik. also the manga is ending soon so this will likely be the last season.

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 21, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This week's ep hit pretty hard if you're like me and grew up with a lot of neighborhood kids who got up to no good in the countryside woods.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I was not anticipating Hikage content where she's not just a punchline, but I approve of it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yet also the first half was peak Hikage content

The Chase scene was pretty great action animation too

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this is what they mean with nonstop

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

poo poo, the cops are here! Everybody run!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I can't believe Renge is a loving cop.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
That's hell you're walking into.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This week was almost too awkward, but the "I'm super fast at running away!" punch line was perfectly timed.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 8, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Twas a continuous escalation I was not expecting but certainly appreciated.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Mecha Koma Plush for Super Robot Wars

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

It's unstoppable!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The audacity of NNB to have a camping episode this season.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I approve of more dunking on Hikage

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Nate RFB posted:

The audacity of NNB to have a camping episode this season.

They even had the teacher get wasted!

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008
Their OPs match each other perfectly as well:
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm38160320

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

some good high-level conversation this week

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The opening with Kazu-nee being terrified was great only to be topped by the most high level conversation ever

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The final chapter of NNB was released if you want to read ahead and be sad.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Is there enough material for an additional season, or are we likely not to see this in the anime?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

It ends in volume 16 and the anime has adapted up to 15, so nope. At best another ova or movie to end it

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
You know, I thought it was pretty ironic that they called this season NONSTOP when it'll definitely be the last season.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The weasel looked incredibly smug.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'll say

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Starsnostars posted:

The weasel looked incredibly smug.

Following in the footsteps of the smug rabbit from season 1.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was some tsukkomi overload

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The photo at the end was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Hikari getting completely owned will never get old. This laid-back show gets more laughs out of me than I expect it to, every week.