Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Yea Starman and Christine are probably the two films that I try to throw out most often when people talk Carpenter because they just get completely overshadowed by the other stuff.

none of my pals had heard of, let alone seen, In The Mouth Of Madness, so that's my go to

also, very belated reply to The Golden Glove chat, but i enjoyed it a lot. watched it the same week as Snowtown, though, and that movie was a sledgehammer

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Starman IS good!

Ending was probably a little, uh, optimistic though.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

dorium posted:

I found a really good Etsy store based in Utah that does great frame work.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/signedandnumbered

I’ve ordered about 4 frames and have been happy with the quality of them all. They’ll help you out with sizing over messages and they make it really easy. Also fairly inexpensive considering they’re building and cutting the mats on their own.

This is pretty cool, thanks. Have any in-place photos you want to show off?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Irony.or.Death posted:

This is pretty cool, thanks. Have any in-place photos you want to show off?

This is what I’ve gotten framed so far. I got a ton of prints And some original pieces want to get down now

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

Apostle is pretty good.

Though you could probably cut at least 20 minutes without losing much.

agreed, it was definitely too long but otherwise I enjoyed it a lot

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Having seen... Train to Busan, The Girl with All the Gifts, and One Cut of the Dead, am I sleeping on any other modern zombie movies from the last 5ish years?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I haven’t seen it yet but the sequel to Train to Busan looked pretty entertaining from the trailer.

Overlord has zombies but barely and it sucks anyways.

The Dead Don’t Die is good but that’s a genre of it’s own.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 21, 2021

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Gejimayu posted:

Having seen... Train to Busan, The Girl with All the Gifts, and One Cut of the Dead, am I sleeping on any other modern zombie movies from the last 5ish years?

Blood Quantum is pretty good

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I just watched Diabolique and it was really good, it's easy to see why this has had such a long lasting influence on film.

Also, after googling it, I was not surprised to see that I'm not the only one who assumed that the detective in this was a part of the inspiration for Columbo.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I would call blood quantam as being great at times

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Gejimayu posted:

Les affamés was alright

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Splint Chesthair posted:

This is even the second time they got lapped by another studio - that Banana Splits movie from last year is basically the same concept.

I know this is from a bit back, but from what I've heard what became the Banana Splits movie was originally supposed to be a FNAF film. There was some kerfluffle between the FNAF creator and the producers and permissions were pulled. The producers still really wanted to make the movie so they dug up the Banana Splits IP figuring no one would care what they did other than the old farts crowd and who gives a poo poo about them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gejimayu posted:

It's slightly older, but Cockneys Versus Zombies is much underrated as a horror comedy. And it co-stars Honor Blackman.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Flying Zamboni posted:

I just watched Diabolique and it was really good, it's easy to see why this has had such a long lasting influence on film.

Also, after googling it, I was not surprised to see that I'm not the only one who assumed that the detective in this was a part of the inspiration for Columbo.

I loving love Diabolique. I've been on the hunt for it during every Criterion sale, but I've missed out every time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Diabolique was part of the original Horror Essentials thread for a reason.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I watched Diabolique last year and loved it, it's just so goddamn tense the entire time.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Gejimayu posted:

The Night Eats the World was a good, low key one that gradually builds up.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gejimayu posted:

Of what I’ve seen, I thought #Alive was decent. Yummy is is a mess with some okay gore. The Dead Don’t Die is a curiosity at best. Anna and the Apocalypse does nothing different except being a musical.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The Berzerker posted:

I watched Diabolique last year and loved it, it's just so goddamn tense the entire time.

Yeah, it does a really good job of building the tension. Even with me having guessed the broad strokes of what was going on I was still just waiting for the axe to drop the whole back half of the movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I watched Mad Love (1935) on the Criterion Channel a whim last night and it was fantastic. Peter Lorre never disappoints.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Is this one a Dusty Ray?

*edit: I answered my own question by looking at his Etsy page :lol:

I have this one of his:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Well Escape Room was way better than I expected

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah it's a fun premise that delivers. Solid 3/5.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Iron Crowned posted:

Its not great but sometimes it’s nice just to watch a horror movie with a budget and good actors

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Starman is easily one of Carpenter's best films and I think because its not horror it gets overlooked but its not something you should skip watching. Bridges performance earned him a Oscar nomination for a reason.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Iron Crowned posted:

Thanks for posting this, reminded me to toss it on my watchlist since I completely forgot it existed about 5 minutes after I saw the trailer. It looked like dumb fun, better than I expected is a solid sell.

I've been watching the Creepshow reboot today and have enjoyed most of the segments to varying degrees (the Giancarlo Esposito and Tobin Bell starter segment was hella fun), but the original was way before my time and I haven't had an urge to revisit it. I know I've seen it discussed a few times by the thread, but I can't recall if it's worth watching all of it or picking and choosing--and if that recommendation changes if I plan on just tossing it on a second monitor while I do other poo poo.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sab Sabbington posted:

Thanks for posting this, reminded me to toss it on my watchlist since I completely forgot it existed about 5 minutes after I saw the trailer. It looked like dumb fun, better than I expected is a solid sell.

I've been watching the Creepshow reboot today and have enjoyed most of the segments to varying degrees (the Giancarlo Esposito and Tobin Bell starter segment was hella fun), but the original was way before my time and I haven't had an urge to revisit it. I know I've seen it discussed a few times by the thread, but I can't recall if it's worth watching all of it or picking and choosing--and if that recommendation changes if I plan on just tossing it on a second monitor while I do other poo poo.

Escape Room is on Starz streaming right now, if you have that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Escape Room is on Starz streaming right now, if you have that.

That's how I watched it. 7-day free trial and $8.99/mo for the Hulu add-on. With my breif look over the selection, it seems to be a pretty good deal. Might just ditch Amazon Prime since I rarely watch it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

That's how I watched it. 7-day free trial and $8.99/mo for the Hulu add-on. With my breif look over the selection, it seems to be a pretty good deal. Might just ditch Amazon Prime since I rarely watch it.

I dunno, Prime's got a lot of good stuff for my tastes, but Criterion Channel + Starz could be enough for me. I piggyback off of Hulu and my family has Netflix, but I rarely use them, honestly.

Starz had a deal where I got like 6 months for $20? One of the best deals I ever found.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
In my continued quest for interesting found footage, I gave Livescream (2018) a go. The premise is that you’re watching footage of someone twitch streaming an actual haunted game.

There are a couple of things that really stuck out to me as interesting or well done. First, the acting is kind of mediocre. The streamer carries the entire movie and a lot of his reactions feel very fake or stilted. Second, the game that he is playing was actually designed on game maker software and emulates a bunch of mini game versions of different indie horror games that either became popular to stream or were frequently copied designs (think, Slender: the Eight Pages, or Five Nights at Freddie’s).

So, this combination of kind of bad acting and kind of crappy games actually manages to cohere and make this movie seem exactly like a stream you could actually watch. The streamer tries to play things up for the audience even as things get darker. They are constantly aware of being on camera and a lot of painful social awkwardness is present. The games feel very familiar, and reflect a lot of knowledge of this niche genre by the gamemaker.

Overall, I think this movie is worth a watch if you’ve ever been into horror game streaming or have some knowledge of it. Also, it has a pretty amazing ending.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I watched The Hole which I've never heard of but my girlfriend recommended. I liked it a lot and I'm pretty confused as to why I've never heard of it even though it has Thora Birch and it's Keira Knightley's first film.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Peninsula, the follow up to Train to Busan, is really disappointing. Don’t go out of your way to see it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dead Zone is a really interesting film. I think King really brings humanity out of Cronenberg that I wasn't expecting, and Cronenberg streamlines King and makes him more digestible than I'm used to in his adaptions. Dead Zone is a rare King Adaption where I'm left wanting more. I would have liked to spend more time with Stillson and Sarah and focus on those 3 characters instead of that second act murder mystery thing. But overall its not the freaky pseudo science thing I expected from Cronenberg or the overly political thing it tends to be bille das. Just a really sad story with Walken doing a really good job against type.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Dead Zone is a really interesting film. I think King really brings humanity out of Cronenberg that I wasn't expecting, and Cronenberg streamlines King and makes him more digestible than I'm used to in his adaptions. Dead Zone is a rare King Adaption where I'm left wanting more. I would have liked to spend more time with Stillson and Sarah and focus on those 3 characters instead of that second act murder mystery thing. But overall its not the freaky pseudo science thing I expected from Cronenberg or the overly political thing it tends to be bille das. Just a really sad story with Walken doing a really good job against type.

It's probably one of King's best novels. Like, Top 5 best novels. And the Cronenberg adaptation does everything right. Very surprising to hear you liked it, with your history with Cronenberg.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

It's probably one of King's best novels. Like, Top 5 best novels. And the Cronenberg adaptation does everything right. Very surprising to hear you liked it, with your history with Cronenberg.

Yeah, I was a little iffy about that going in. My main problem with Cronenberg is that his stuff often feels more interested in very cold, clinical moral testing and pseudo science on humans. The idea of a guy with a brain tumor that gave him psychic powers had the potential to go that way with Cronenberg. But King is much more about melodrama and human relationships and hardship so it feels like they both kind of worked well together. King brought something more "human" out of Cronenberg I could connect with and Cronenberg streamlined King's novel into an easily digestible film unlike a lot of his other adaptions that can.... wander.

I read the book a long time ago so I was surprised it didn't focus as much on Stillson. But I think that was solid choice to focus on Johnny is one of those things that can make King's writing style not really adapt well to film. So Cronenberg did a good job pulling out the core of King's story (from what I remember) and adding a bit to it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Is this one a Dusty Ray?

*edit: I answered my own question by looking at his Etsy page :lol:

I have this one of his:

Ha that one is rad

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Gretel & Hansel is probably the best looking film I've seen this year, just amazing visuals from start to finish. I get what people were saying about how it's a case of style over substance but I think in this case the established fairy tale is a great foundation for that because it's straightforward and you don't feel the need to "follow" a plot.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Gretel & Hansel is probably the best looking film I've seen this year, just amazing visuals from start to finish. I get what people were saying about how it's a case of style over substance but I think in this case the established fairy tale is a great foundation for that because it's straightforward and you don't feel the need to "follow" a plot.

yeah i think its probably my favorite folk horror movie, it really is just totally unique and spellbinding and genuinely CREEPY i HIGHLY reccomend this one

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I mean folk horror is absolutely the worst subgenre of horror that I can think of right now, so being the best (second best because there's Wicker Man) doesn't necessarily mean much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

folk horror > found footage anyday and im not even that big a folk horror fan