Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

BonoMan posted:

Lol that just looks like Tucker dressed up as ariel and asked himself questions

lol thats what i thought it was at first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Wait... Stevie R Moore is still okay, right? :ohdear:

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y96_fPyVPHI

in two weeks he's gonna be like HAHA SIKE GUYS

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Bro you have got to be loving kidding me LMAOOOOOO what a goddamn loser lol

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Lol that just looks like Tucker dressed up as ariel and asked himself questions

holy poo poo

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
New Beach Bunny EP is out and it is shorter than a Nine Inch Nails single, or 3 separate Iron Maiden songs.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I am liking the Jerskin Fendrix album, it's got the right amount of ironic distance that I feel comfortable enjoying pop music. Is this the correct thread for that kind of thing?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
if you can't enjoy Carly Rae Jepsen, Charli XCX, Billie Eilish, Lorde, or the 90s output of Kylie Minogue then you're outside the gates of heaven looking in

also we're due for a Sophisti-Pop renaissonce. I've spent a lot of time recently listening to Everything but the Girl and they ruled.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
the Jessie Ware album was that. Also, how the gently caress you say that and not mention Robyn?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

T Bowl posted:

the Jessie Ware album was that. Also, how the gently caress you say that and not mention Robyn?

Jessie Ware's album was the big sleeper hit last year

Annie - Dark Hearts also came outta nowhere

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

T Bowl posted:

ok this is a confession I have to make

I never listened to Robyn

and I had a very very weird reason for this - for some reason I confused Robyn with La Roux and specifically La Roux's song Bulletproof annoyed the poo poo out of me. Up until last year I did not realise the mistake I had made and thus had missed Robyn's entire career thinking she was La Roux.

edit: i should've also mentioned Sophie Ellis-Bextor who as far as pure pop gets is like so loving great and i love her

Lid fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 21, 2021

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Just listen to dancing on my own and call your girlfriend asap - never too late to make it right.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
pop music is great and you shouldnt be embarassed to like or listen to any of it imo. listen to what makes you happy

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lid posted:

and I had a very very weird reason for this - for some reason I confused Robyn with La Roux and specifically La Roux's song Bulletproof annoyed the poo poo out of me. Up until last year I did not realise the mistake I had made and thus had missed Robyn's entire career thinking she was La Roux.

edit: i should've also mentioned Sophie Ellis-Bextor who as far as pure pop gets is like so loving great and i love her

drat, its time you listen to some Robyn.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Gone Fashing posted:

pop music is great and you shouldnt be embarassed to like or listen to any of it imo. listen to what makes you happy

I'm not making GBS threads on pop music, it was just never my bag. Recently I've been listening to a lot of pop music that is making fun of, or acts as commentary on pop music, and that is a lot more palatable. It helps that there's so much noise/industrial/idm bleedover in pop music (and hiphop too!) these days. Sophie and Poppy are some other examples, but it was fun to get like a hipster indie dude take on it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Lid posted:

And that hurts with every heartbeat.

Sophie Ellis-Bextor is brill. Early 00s related, I've been intricately obsessed with the Purity Ring cover of Better Off Alone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCp1781hrdY

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0cuGn0F_-s

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lampsacus posted:

Sophie Ellis-Bextor is brill. Early 00s related, I've been intricately obsessed with the Purity Ring cover of Better Off Alone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCp1781hrdY

funnily this crossover came out last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdXecuVl7_4

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Indie people making pop music is old news, it’s time to get on the new hotness: pop musicians making indie rock

https://youtu.be/ci3J5xr4pYs

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
monument feat robyn by royskopp is one of the best songs of the last decade imo

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

DC Murderverse posted:

Indie people making pop music is old news, it’s time to get on the new hotness: pop musicians making indie rock

https://youtu.be/ci3J5xr4pYs

ok i was really second guessing myself but this is the Aly & AJ from disney channel fame lol. i do like this song though...

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

monument feat robyn by royskopp is one of the best songs of the last decade imo

do it again ftw

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK7egZaT3hs

Arctic Monkeys' debut album is 15 years old today :corsair:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Their first five albums are all great to excellent, that first one is definitely still my sentimental fave though. Many fond memories of singing Riot Van.

Hopefully whatever they do next is a bit more consistent than the last one was. Would have been a great EP but there wasn’t enough range for a full album IMO.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Alec Eiffel posted:

do it again ftw

one more time

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/dfa1979/status/1353751660078788610

:bisonyes:

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Future Islands did the pandemic version of an NPR tiny desk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8fbjYgGouM

ParisFascistWeek
Jan 26, 2021
I think Bjork might be considered mainstream in Europe but is definitely alternative pop in the US, and when she was with the Sugarcubes maybe alternative rock. All I can say for sure is that Vespertine lost to Parachutes by Coldplay in 2001 for Best Alternative Music Album. Imagine Coldplay being considered alternative! Ever since I discovered that I no longer consider the Grammy to be all that telling

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Alternative" is a genre name that was always destined to become meaningless. You can't define a genre as "different from what's popular" without eventually running into that issue.

In my mind "Alternative" means either (1) a group that's set up like a rock band but focuses more on songcraft than performance, or (2) weird pop.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
and then you've got 'adult alternative' which is like goo goo dolls and matchbox 20

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The Walrus posted:

and then you've got 'adult alternative' which is like goo goo dolls and matchbox 20

That's just classic rock at this point.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

The Walrus posted:

Wasnt that just post-grunge?

Also is Foo Fighters (and specifically the first three albums) the only music from that entire period you can state had any merit? I'm trying to think of anything else and coming up short with a genre that spanned over 20 years and dominated mainstream rock.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Lid posted:

Wasnt that just post-grunge?

Also is Foo Fighters (and specifically the first three albums) the only music from that entire period you can state had any merit? I'm trying to think of anything else and coming up short with a genre that spanned over 20 years and dominated mainstream rock.

That period meaning roughly 1995-2000? Yeah, I guess that was pretty bleak depending on what you were into. (Confession, I did enjoy nu-metal at the time.) You did have stuff like Ben Folds, Beck, and the one who started this discussion, Björk. Also No Doubt, I guess Oasis, a little bit of Radiohead (in my liiiife)

So yeah, definitely some classic albums here and there, but it's not quite music's finest hour. Especially compared with what came right before.

EDIT: This was also a notoriously low point for music mixing -- in 1995 it was still fine, but by 1999 we had the infamously overloud Californication and we didn't really recover from that until about a decade later. (1995 did have What's the Story Morning Glory which was also pretty loud, but that always felt like more of a deliberate and/or coke-fueled production choice)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 28, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sir Lemming posted:

That period meaning roughly 1995-2000? Yeah, I guess that was pretty bleak depending on what you were into. (Confession, I did enjoy nu-metal at the time.) You did have stuff like Ben Folds, Beck, and the one who started this discussion, Björk. Also No Doubt, I guess Oasis, a little bit of Radiohead (in my liiiife)

So yeah, definitely some classic albums here and there, but it's not quite music's finest hour. Especially compared with what came right before.

I think you've described that era pretty well.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Rick Beato had a recent video that is related to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bm-IDP8tDk

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Turambar posted:

Rick Beato had a recent video that is related to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bm-IDP8tDk

Never heard of him, but that was a fascinating video to listen to.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Sir Lemming posted:

EDIT: This was also a notoriously low point for music mixing -- in 1995 it was still fine, but by 1999 we had the infamously overloud Californication and we didn't really recover from that until about a decade later. (1995 did have What's the Story Morning Glory which was also pretty loud, but that always felt like more of a deliberate and/or coke-fueled production choice)

It went well beyond that well into the 2000s with guys like Nickelback, post metal era incubus, Audioslave, Hoobastank and the worst of them all Theory of a Deadman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfnAOcBirAs

Specifically post-grunge wasn't an era where we were discussing just the poppification of genres (rap being Nelly, punk being Sum 41) but the dominant rock genre of that era.

No Doubt have their roots in ska, Oasis were part of britpop, Radiohead were all over the place, none were post grunge.

Lid fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 29, 2021

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

whoa these guys are still around

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Gone Fashing posted:

whoa these guys are still around

I liked them back in the day. Saw them in concert in Osaka. After the show a fan tried to give the lead singer a PSP which was still new at the time. He politely declined the gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nihonniboku posted:

I liked them back in the day. Saw them in concert in Osaka. After the show a fan tried to give the lead singer a PSP which was still new at the time. He politely declined the gift.

That is... Weird. I would have declined as well.