Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Speaking of vermin infestations, there seems to be a critter (probably squirrel) in the back porch roof. Back porch has old-fashioned box gutters, and at some point there was a leak in the gutter liner which caused a section of the soffit to rot and fall out. Because we are dumbasses, we have been procrastinating on getting this fixed. The cats’ room contains the bay window that overhangs the back porch, and they’ve been chattering a bunch over something, so I tried to spot the culprit bird/squirrel in the trees, but instead heard scuffling inside the woodwork.

I guess we will need to call a roofer to patch it up. In the distant future, we might rebuild the back porch and bay window entirely because the bay window sags pretty significantly and I’m not sure it’s fixable without also redoing the porch.

In the meantime, I suppose I could persuade my husband to do some back porch grilling to smoke out whatever’s in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I wasn't the one using glue traps.
I was doing construction stuff on some ancient lady's house and we heard a tiny songbird chirping for help, stuck in the glue trap, we freed it.

I thought that might come up, but I was in a hurry at the time.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Speaking of birds, I once had an idiot songbird that decided my gutter above a downspout was a cool nesting place. First big rain and it ended up at the bottom of an s curve which it got trapped into. Had to drill out the rivets so I could take it apart.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Window installation Day 1 of 7 is complete.

The new windows are amazing and I can't believe how much I love them, even though they're just basic Milgard vinyl.

Unfortunately they discovered that I have water entering my house between the roof and the gutters at one spot, and the water is getting behind the paper and running down the siding. The roof was JUST installed last month so hopefully this is covered

Love home ownership!!!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Today, I found a bathroom door with opposite hinges (frame-side on bottom, door-side on top) stripped out at the screws. Of course, nobody has any recollection of hanging onto the door or pulling on it in any weird way that would've put the necessary torque, and we haven't had an earthquake in a while. Cheaper than GGGC's roof, but still: Love home ownership!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Window installation Day 1 of 7 is complete.

The new windows are amazing and I can't believe how much I love them, even though they're just basic Milgard vinyl.

Unfortunately they discovered that I have water entering my house between the roof and the gutters at one spot, and the water is getting behind the paper and running down the siding. The roof was JUST installed last month so hopefully this is covered

Love home ownership!!!

It's taking them 7 days? When we had ours replaced, two guys had all 13 of them in and out (plus a front door and sliding door) in well under 8 hours.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

devicenull posted:

It's taking them 7 days? When we had ours replaced, two guys had all 13 of them in and out (plus a front door and sliding door) in well under 8 hours.

Well, 5 working days. It's 19 windows on a two story house. A team of 3. Maybe there's something specific about the job that's slowing them down, or maybe they're just slow!

The windows are amazing so far though

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Well, 5 working days. It's 19 windows on a two story house. A team of 3. Maybe there's something specific about the job that's slowing them down, or maybe they're just slow!

what? That's ridiculous. I had 17 done in about 12 hours. Same day.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That seems impossibly fast if you're not using retrofit windows. Or it doesn't include trim repair? Do any of your houses have stucco?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

H110Hawk posted:

That seems impossibly fast if you're not using retrofit windows. Or it doesn't include trim repair? Do any of your houses have stucco?
It was brick facade. But 3 dudes times 12 hours is over 2 hours per window in my case. That's hustling, but hardly undoable. Especially for a crew that does nothing but that.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is the pace the carpenters I work with perform at. Replacing the window is the quick part, lead protect, flashing, and interior/exterior trim are the time eaters.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah that seems to be the case here too! It's all miter saw and trim work with the occasional quick plop in of the windows

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tezer posted:

, lead protect,

Is this for houses with lead paint, or something else?

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Epitope posted:

Is this for houses with lead paint, or something else?

Ya, a catch-all term for lead related PPE as well as interior and exterior protection and cleaning. I'm guessing calling it "lead protect" is something that came out of the certification program our project managers go through, not sure its a common term. It's what gets written in the daily reports and pre-construction estimates.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Plumbing question:

My washer drains into my utility sink. I've noticed the sink's drain is slow lately, allowing the water to back up 3/4 of the way up the sink when draining. I'm planning on cleaning out the drain, but there's no obvious way to put an auger down there, so I've been lazy about it.

Today I went down as a load was finishing (so the sink was full) and noticed a lot of water on the ground coming from where the drain attaches to the main drain line. It is leaking from a cast iron pipe that leads into the concrete floor. I'm definitely calling a plumber here, as this is well out of my league, but I guess my question is, am I hosed or am I turbo hosed?

Album: https://imgur.com/a/v0Bt7iy

The pipe joint only seems to be leaking water there when the sink is backed up, and dries out after it is drained. Not sure what to make of that.

EDIT: Second question: The utility sink itself has seen better days and probably needs a new drain kit. I can't seem to find one at any place locally (Home Depot/Menards, hardware stores), and the manufacturer charges $50 shipped for a replacement. Googling "plumbing supply" seems to be a bunch of places that only serve plumbers directly. Is there some other store I should be looking at? Failing that, we have a double laundry tub, I could get a single tub for about the same as the drain kit, and I basically never use the fact that we have 2 tubs, is there any reason I shouldn't just buy a single?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 18, 2021

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Grumpwagon posted:

Plumbing question:

My washer drains into my utility sink. I've noticed the sink's drain is slow lately, allowing the water to back up 3/4 of the way up the sink when draining. I'm planning on cleaning out the drain, but there's no obvious way to put an auger down there, so I've been lazy about it.

Today I went down as a load was finishing (so the sink was full) and noticed a lot of water on the ground coming from where the drain attaches to the main drain line. It is leaking from a cast iron pipe that leads into the concrete floor. I'm definitely calling a plumber here, as this is well out of my league, but I guess my question is, am I hosed or am I turbo hosed?

The drain only seems to have water there when the sink is backed up, and dries out after it is drained. Not sure what to make of that.

EDIT: Second question: The utility sink itself has seen better days and probably needs a new drain kit. I can't seem to find one at any place locally (Home Depot/Menards, hardware stores), and the manufacturer charges $50 shipped for a replacement. Googling "plumbing supply" seems to be a bunch of places that only serve plumbers directly. Is there some other store I should be looking at? Failing that, we have a double laundry tub, I could get a single tub for about the same as the drain kit, and I basically never use the fact that we have 2 tubs, is there any reason I shouldn't just buy a single?

Cast iron has a lifespan, yours may have reach it. The drain can be augered to clear the blockage (the main stack, if it's leaking at that location the clog isn't in the trap) and that cast iron joint can be re-packed, but looking at the condition of it all I'm wondering if taking it apart won't just create more problems. The experienced plumber you hire (not a handyman) will be able to advise you better, although they may first point you towards a drain clearing subcontractor if they don't do that work in-house.

If you're balking at the $50 drain part, you're going to be in trouble here. It's not going to be a very expensive fix but if $50 makes you start bargain hunting you're in trouble.

If you get a new utility sink, Mustee makes some decent low-cost options. I usually spec a sink from their durastone line.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Grumpwagon posted:

Plumbing question:

The drain only seems to have water there when the sink is backed up, and dries out after it is drained. Not sure what to make of that.

No idea but there’s a lot of cast iron pipe lawsuits that start out this way.

https://www.forthepeople.com/insurance-attorney/cast-iron-pipes-lawsuit/

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Ah - yea we had all of the trim removed already (it was coated in a million layers of lovely paint), and the siding guys were coming the next week. So all they were doing is slapping in replacement windows.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Anyone else have coyotes? Apparently I have a loving pack of them using my patio as a base of operations every night at 3am. gently caress.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

Anyone else have coyotes? Apparently I have a loving pack of them using my patio as a base of operations every night at 3am. gently caress.

We have them around, and I have had to clean up the corpse of an animal they ate which I found under my car by smell. It's a car we rarely drive, and the smell started days before I looked and wrote off to a funky dumpster with like discarded meat + diapers. Two days later it was clearly evident it was NOT the dumpster so I looked under the cars. :barf:

What are you trying to accomplish? Get them to use someone else's back yard? Bright lights and banging on a pan might do it. Otherwise if they seem to be setting up camp call animal control and see if they can be relocated.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Hello thread,

What kind of wood finish is this? I've got some termite holes to fill with putty / scratches to use a marker on. Any thoughts?

(other than "crappy and left by the previous owner", yes I already know :))

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Tezer posted:

If you're balking at the $50 drain part, you're going to be in trouble here. It's not going to be a very expensive fix but if $50 makes you start bargain hunting you're in trouble.

Haha, no, just was complaining about paying 50% of the part's cost in shipping and was hoping there was some class of store that would stock that sort of thing locally.

Thanks for the evaluation on the main issue. It does seem to my uneducated eye that it is at its end of life. I guess what I was wondering is how can that even be replaced? I assume it will involve bashing up the concrete or is there some joint there I'm not seeing where a new one can be attached?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Evil Robot posted:

Hello thread,

What kind of wood finish is this? I've got some termite holes to fill with putty / scratches to use a marker on. Any thoughts?

(other than "crappy and left by the previous owner", yes I already know :))

It’s hard to tell from here but is that bamboo? The grain pattern was throwing me off for a minute.

I’m not sure what they finish bamboo with but it’s probably whatever came from the factory if I had to guess.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

What are you trying to accomplish? Get them to use someone else's back yard? Bright lights and banging on a pan might do it. Otherwise if they seem to be setting up camp call animal control and see if they can be relocated.
I don’t know what I’m trying to accomplish honestly. Other than picking off neighborhood pets is there much of a downside?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Grumpwagon posted:

Failing that, we have a double laundry tub, I could get a single tub for about the same as the drain kit, and I basically never use the fact that we have 2 tubs, is there any reason I shouldn't just buy a single?

I went from single basin laundry sinks at my apartments to a giant triple basin at my house and I’d never go back. I certainly don’t need all basins all the time (besides, washing machine is hooked to one), but always having an extra basin is great. Also, middle basin has a built in washboard that I unironically use, mostly to scrub off extra dirty items before throwing them in the wash.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

but always having an extra basin is great.

See, I'm not doubting you at all, but why?? I don't think I've ever used it, besides dumping some stuff down the drain.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

I don’t know what I’m trying to accomplish honestly. Other than picking off neighborhood pets is there much of a downside?

What's the first downside again? :v: Nature gonna nature. You have to clean up coyote poop and potentially a carcas is the big downside. If they have a litter under your porch or something you might also lose access to your back yard for a period of time.

A reduction in songbird predators is a plus in my book. (Cats shouldn't be allowed to be outdoor pets, if that means people can't own cats humanely so be it.)

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

See this is why nobody should ever waive the wildlife inspection contingency. :argh:

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Grumpwagon posted:

See, I'm not doubting you at all, but why?? I don't think I've ever used it, besides dumping some stuff down the drain.

A few cases that come to mind are needing immediate cleanup for a catastrophic mess while your hand-wash laundry is soaking, having the washing machine and garden hose hooked up at the same time and still having spigots you can use (this is moot if you have outdoor spigots, which we don’t), tossing your mops in one of the basins to drip while you scrub something else in another basin, etc.

I find the multiple basins really useful in our big old ratty fixer upper, but I guess if you’re not dealing with projects and a century of dirt and grime then it’s less of a big deal.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Grumpwagon posted:

Thanks for the evaluation on the main issue. It does seem to my uneducated eye that it is at its end of life. I guess what I was wondering is how can that even be replaced? I assume it will involve bashing up the concrete or is there some joint there I'm not seeing where a new one can be attached?

Technically the only leak you currently have is at the packed joint - this joint shouldn't leak but the combination of old piping and a clog have revealed an issue. If the (theorized) clog didn't exist, you probably wouldn't know that the packed joint has failed. So if I'm guessing right about the issue and the cast iron doesn't flake apart when they're messing with it, there is a chance they can just repack the joint and you're good.

That said, a lot of plumbers don't have experience with cast iron beyond removing it. So even if the joint can be repacked, they may proposal replacing a section of pipe if that's the method they're more comfortable with. This repair could take many forms, but will use some kind of band fastener. If you google 'no-hub cast iron' you'll see examples of what the use on cast iron installs today, and if they propose replacing a section with PVC you'll see a slightly different kind of band fastener.

Maybe they can just replace the stuff above the floor. If they recommend more, they will need to cut open the floor and then patch. In the northeast I found most plumbers wanted someone else to do this concrete work, in my current midwest city I found that most plumbers will do it themselves.

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Edit: wrong thread for this.

JamMaster Flash fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 20, 2021

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Queen Victorian posted:

I find the multiple basins really useful in our big old ratty fixer upper, but I guess if you’re not dealing with projects and a century of dirt and grime then it’s less of a big deal.

I'm of the general mind that one can never have too many sinks of any type.

My garage sink is one of my favorite things, and I'm planning on putting a random sink in the basement at some point (it will require a lift pump). I already added one to the laundry room.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Does anyone have recommendations for under cabinet lighting?

I'm in the middle of installing my Ikea kitchen but I feel like I read here or the other house thread that Ikea's offering aren't great for those. I do plan on hardwiring them to just a new regular light switch, no wireless or remotes or whatever. Googling just leads to like Home Depot and Wayfair and not like... legit recc's from people not solely trying to sell me stuff :-(

Also hunting down craigslist, fb, and ebay for a 6" hole saw so we can create a duct on my exterior wall for a new vent hood. . . my mom is not pleased about this endeavor LOL can't really undo it if we mess up oops :-)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

eig posted:

I'm in the middle of installing my Ikea kitchen but I feel like I read here or the other house thread that Ikea's offering aren't great for those. I do plan on hardwiring them to just a new regular light switch, no wireless or remotes or whatever. Googling just leads to like Home Depot and Wayfair and not like... legit recc's from people not solely trying to sell me stuff :-(

Also hunting down craigslist, fb, and ebay for a 6" hole saw so we can create a duct on my exterior wall for a new vent hood. . . my mom is not pleased about this endeavor LOL can't really undo it if we mess up oops :-)

I want to reach through our monitors and wring your neck

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Epitope posted:

I want to reach through our monitors and wring your neck

Oh no... Have I made a grave mistake?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

eig posted:

Oh no... Have I made a grave mistake?

I am just grumpy about my house being screwed up, and the screw up seems like it involves poorly done under cabinet lighting and a vent hood.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

That scenario is partially why I am doing 90% of the remodel myself (with my mom* + friend) so I have no one to blame but myself if I am not happy with the results :-(

*my mom is really doing the majority of the work but it's her fault for knowing drywall, carpentry, repair, etc !!!! (she has an interior painting business)

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I have an idea, let’s put a gas line into our kitchen so we can replace the 40 year old electric cooktop. Oh what’s that there’s multiple gas leaks in the existing piping? Ah yes let’s just replace it all.

Do. Never. Buy.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

eig posted:

So I don't get the other post but ok.

If I was doing new UC lighting I would look hard at LED tape light, but in a housing and with diffusers. Specifically so I had the full length of the cabinets lit and get the maximum lumens. And the housing and diffusers make it look nicer and evens out the light. Plus it's so thin it would hide under the skirt (apron?) well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
https://www.inspiredled.com is some nice stuff. You can make a completely custom kit to fit your needs.