Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
gently caress that. gently caress landlord mentality too. When I get doom dome built, I'll start working on a bounce house, a place for my constantly bordering homeless cousin to crash.

Speaking of dome home, here's a site with expired certification that does all the measurements.

http://www.domerama.com/calculators/3v-geodesic-dome-calculator/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Bored As gently caress posted:

If I think about how much money I could've made had I bought bitcoin when it was pennies a piece, back when the GBS thread about it came around 10ish or whatever years ago, I die inside. That, and not buying more Amazon, are in my top 5 biggest regrets.

Yup - my old boss bought 25k bitcoin when it was pennies.

He made some epically bad timing moves with it, but he at least recouped his investment and had some good cruises when that was still a thing.

God I wish I had bought some when he was telling us about it during lunch. I also wish I had convinced my dad to buy Amazon or had used some of my college job money to jump on it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I don't feel bad about not jumping on Bitcoin because it's not a loving currency it's some weird rear end investment for people who are incredibly lucky.
I do feel bad about not getting Apple stock at $14 and was talked out of it because "they're going bankrupt within a year."

I also don't feel bad about much right now because I just put down a low priced bottle of celebratory "American fascism has been delayed" cava. I was seriously building a plan to emigrate to Germany which would have involved a bunch of painful rear end decisions like selling the house I put a fuckton of work and money into remodel and rebuilding, leaving my home and family, sacrificing vital earning years in my 40s as well as putting a huge burden on my wife in order to get a PhD so I could have a chance at employment and emigration in the first place. But I also had to start planning an escape hatch because I am not raising my daughters in a country where the presidency has its own fascist paramilitaries.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't feel bad about not jumping on Bitcoin because it's not a loving currency it's some weird rear end investment for people who are incredibly lucky.
I do feel bad about not getting Apple stock at $14 and was talked out of it because "they're going bankrupt within a year."

I also don't feel bad about much right now because I just put down a low priced bottle of celebratory "American fascism has been delayed" cava. I was seriously building a plan to emigrate to Germany which would have involved a bunch of painful rear end decisions like selling the house I put a fuckton of work and money into remodel and rebuilding, leaving my home and family, sacrificing vital earning years in my 40s as well as putting a huge burden on my wife in order to get a PhD so I could have a chance at employment and emigration in the first place. But I also had to start planning an escape hatch because I am not raising my daughters in a country where the presidency has its own fascist paramilitaries.

The last 4 years have been exhausting, I don't think we are anywhere near being done with the threat of far right fascism, but at least it will be nice to spend a few days not having to worry about it so hard.
I have to put my celebration plans off until the weekend, but I'm probably gonna celebrate with some lovely mexican beer when I do.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bengy81 posted:

The last 4 years have been exhausting, I don't think we are anywhere near being done with the threat of far right fascism, but at least it will be nice to spend a few days not having to worry about it so hard.
I have to put my celebration plans off until the weekend, but I'm probably gonna celebrate with some lovely mexican beer when I do.

Oh, I know that we aren't done with the threat but we're not currently in a case where I could plausibly tell my wife I want to quit my job and go back to school so I'm more employable in Europe.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fallom posted:

i saw a goon last week mention how he just accidentally fell into half a million dollars from a small crypto investment like it wasn't even a thing

it really drives a lot of complicated feelings when you see that poo poo. why invest in retirement accounts only to get murdered by cancer or a drunk driver before I hit 65? might as well just gamble on whatever lovely internet fad i see

That goon was probably a seraph rereg and that guy is 100% full of poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, seraph has been reregging like crazy for the past couple of months. I'm talking actual dozens of accounts.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I regret not picking the right numbers for last nights' powerball.

That's what it sounds like when people say they regret not buying X financial vehicle or Y stock.

Now I'm going to have a few shock tops with my dabs and hope I picked the right mega millions numbers for tomorrow.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I regret not picking the right numbers for last nights' powerball.

That's what it sounds like when people say they regret not buying X financial vehicle or Y stock.

Now I'm going to have a few shock tops with my dabs and hope I picked the right mega millions numbers for tomorrow.

There is always Mega Millions with their small jackpot of $972mil.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Midjack posted:

That goon was probably a seraph rereg and that guy is 100% full of poo poo.

Nah it’s some guy who posts a lot in the homeowner threads

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ASAPI posted:

There is always Mega Millions with their small jackpot of $972mil.

Yeah, I usually don't buy lotto tickets, but when poo poo starts cracking the half billion mark, I throw away a couple bucks. It's one of the curses of being raised with late 20th century lower class optimism. Up until the drawing you're just mentally spending, which is an entertaining thought exercise occasionally but not something I'd like to dwell on several times a week while already knowing the outcome is just more money down the drain.

$2 a few times a year is worth the daydreaming.

Nocoiner Regrets
Jan 22, 2021

by Cyrano4747

CODChimera posted:

i remember early bitcoin chat on here and everyone was like its a trap it's garbage don't invest, those bastards basically robbed me of my millions

Bored As gently caress posted:

If I think about how much money I could've made had I bought bitcoin when it was pennies a piece, back when the GBS thread about it came around 10ish or whatever years ago, I die inside. That, and not buying more Amazon, are in my top 5 biggest regrets.

Fallom posted:

i saw a goon last week mention how he just accidentally fell into half a million dollars from a small crypto investment like it wasn't even a thing

it really drives a lot of complicated feelings when you see that poo poo. why invest in retirement accounts only to get murdered by cancer or a drunk driver before I hit 65? might as well just gamble on whatever lovely internet fad i see

TCD posted:

Yup - my old boss bought 25k bitcoin when it was pennies.

He made some epically bad timing moves with it, but he at least recouped his investment and had some good cruises when that was still a thing.

God I wish I had bought some when he was telling us about it during lunch. I also wish I had convinced my dad to buy Amazon or had used some of my college job money to jump on it.
There's going to be a whole lot more of this in your future, goons, if you continue your futile resistance of the financial singularity. Capitulate now. Come, my children. Join me in eternal prosperity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZEJ4OJTgg8

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, I usually don't buy lotto tickets, but when poo poo starts cracking the half billion mark, I throw away a couple bucks. It's one of the curses of being raised with late 20th century lower class optimism. Up until the drawing you're just mentally spending, which is an entertaining thought exercise occasionally but not something I'd like to dwell on several times a week while already knowing the outcome is just more money down the drain.

$2 a few times a year is worth the daydreaming.

I'm the same way, when the jackpot hits stupid levels of money I throw a few bucks at it. It's not even every time, only when I notice a stupid high jackpot. It's more money than I will make in my lifetime.

Nocoiner Regrets
Jan 22, 2021

by Cyrano4747

ASAPI posted:

I'm the same way, when the jackpot hits stupid levels of money I throw a few bucks at it. It's not even every time, only when I notice a stupid high jackpot. It's more money than I will make in my lifetime.
The lottery is a tax for people who are bad at math.

Similarly, Bitcoin is a reward for people who are good at pattern recognition. A financial marshmellow test. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The entire investment market feels like a lottery ticket right now, doesn't matter what it is. It's all very "shoeshine boy stock tips" feeling.

Bitcoin reminds me of gold and silver bugs. For better or worse.

Nocoiner Regrets
Jan 22, 2021

by Cyrano4747

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The entire investment market feels like a lottery ticket right now, doesn't matter what it is. It's all very "shoeshine boy stock tips" feeling.

Bitcoin reminds me of gold and silver bugs. For better or worse.
Bitcoin is going to eat gold's lunch.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Hi seraph

Edit: bye seraph

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You know who could probably eat lunch? My creditors, let me just go ahead and mail them an Arby's flyer this month, I'm sure they'd appreciate the buy one, get one half off roast beef coupons while I invest in moon money that could lose a substantial portion of its' value every time someone tries to pull whale money out or an exchange gets caught up with financial regulators.

But at least you're not shilling for whatever facebooks' digital funny money is.

:lol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol: That's what we get for mentioning him.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Godholio posted:

:lol: That's what we get for mentioning him.

Yeah sorry about that.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm just laying at my dipshit "friends" who think this housing market won't collapse and I'm getting ready to literally laugh in some of their faces because they want to be landlords after I told them I found it reprehensible and foolish.

No worries, they're too broke to afford it, but the fact they've entertained the thought depresses me.

My sister just put an offer in for a house; she's been looking for a month, and they disappear off the market so quickly right now it's insane. I'm talking Dutch tulip bulb market. It's almost NYC rent control apartment hunting level of nuts.

I told her she's dumb for buying in a peak market for the second time in 20 years. She literally will not even consider renting until this bubble bursts.

Market is so insane it had me and the wife pondering selling because our home is close to twice what we paid for it in 2009, and we frigging love our home. We'd never find a location this perfect again in our lifetime.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Bitcoin did save SA from getting cancelled with Rich lmao.

e: issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the scam called bitcoin. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

GD_American posted:

My sister just put an offer in for a house; she's been looking for a month, and they disappear off the market so quickly right now it's insane. I'm talking Dutch tulip bulb market. It's almost NYC rent control apartment hunting level of nuts.

I told her she's dumb for buying in a peak market for the second time in 20 years. She literally will not even consider renting until this bubble bursts.

Market is so insane it had me and the wife pondering selling because our home is close to twice what we paid for it in 2009, and we frigging love our home. We'd never find a location this perfect again in our lifetime.

Rates are like 2% for conventional loans and bunch of people are wanting SFHs even in urban areas.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GD_American posted:

I feel the same. The house is a little crowded now with two kids but it's exactly where I want to be and I've put a ton of effort into remodeling and restoring. Also I bought at the bottom of the market. Everyone keeps telling me how lucky I am that my house went up in value so much but that just means more taxes since I'm not going to sell and move to somewhere I don't like just because I can.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Holy hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd_0hUZ-qSU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Have gay/queer cowboy music, because I can't get enough of Orville Peck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VoHzlALxp0

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

This is what the SJWs have stolen from us.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LongDarkNight posted:

This is what the SJWs cops have stolen from us. by killing kids with toy guns

fixed

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WphNO24h9nA

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
You can still get stuff like that, you just have to import it from Japan. US Customs is not very good at catching things.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LongDarkNight posted:

This is what the SJWs have stolen from us.

This, and Kancho

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A Bad Poster posted:

You can still get stuff like that, you just have to import it from Japan. US Customs is not very good at catching things.

Every company that's ever sent weed seeds to US customers agrees. Lots of european and canadian seed banks.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
gbs is running a food bank donation drive

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3956691&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Posting verification of a donation get you this

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Syrian Lannister posted:

gbs is running a food bank donation drive

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3956691&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Posting verification of a donation get you this

Well. Looks like I'm digging into my wallet.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

do drugs and worship satan

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
They call him. Nandos and he dances in the night. Sometime in the future you can see him bright. Sometimes in Nandos you can see the light. Sometime in the global south I dunno just chill.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
:cursed: