Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Screenshot thread got me thinking why don't we have a fishing thread. I am quite fond of fishing in video games, so this is a thread to share stories about your fishing exploits.

Final Fantasy XIV is the game where I really got into fishing. I made my account back in 2013 when the rerelease happened and since about 2014 I have been fishing in that game and have amassed a big collection of fish.

Sea Butterfly took me a year of attempts at it to catch (although I was subbed less than 6 months that year). The window to catch it is small, and you need to get a buff that lasts only 60 seconds, which is enough for about 3 casts, for it to bite. If it does bite (unlikely) it can get away (very likely) regardless of your Gathering rating.

Ruby Dragon has a much larger window to catch it than Sea Butterfly (about 10 real life minutes as opposed to Sea Butterfly's 4), but it also has absurd in-game weather requirements that happen very infrequently. When I was going after it there was a period of almost an entire month where a window did not occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

the final fantasy fishing game is bad rear end, bonus features include ogling cindys breast and rear end in VR

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Never got into videogame fishing until Stardew Valley, and then FFXV later that year. Since then I've been "hooked" :D. I managed to finish the Aquarium community center bundle on accident/pure natty run on my latest farm cos I enjoyed it so much. It's also a great way to supplement your income, obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnzvNuI5f0E

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Do those FFXIV rare fish have any special function or are they just for bragging rights?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Never got into videogame fishing until Stardew Valley, and then FFXV later that year. Since then I've been "hooked" :D. I managed to finish the Aquarium community center bundle on accident/pure natty run on my latest farm cos I enjoyed it so much. It's also a great way to supplement your income, obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnzvNuI5f0E

Brutal

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

catching the hylian loach in ocarina of time was pretty cool

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

🐐

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Btw im not making some dumb joke about the cindy thing in the ffxv vr fishing, when you beat a level one of the things it does is have cindy show up for a couple minutes in your cabin doing provocative poses around a car lmfao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I have strong fond memories of playing SNESera fishing games like Super Black Bass as frequent rentals. That tension and excitement when you finally spot a huge shadow lurking in the reeds.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Joylesly grinding missions in red dead online until the fishing pole unlocks; now the real game starts

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Eventually I only kept enough crops in Stardew Valley to finish up the community center so I could focus on my passion for fishing.

My dad started making his own fishing lures this year. He set up a little plastic table in the back guest room (which he now calls his office) where he can paint them in peace away from my mom, who is only in the next room over sewing blankets.

We got him this for Christmas one year and he hogged the living room all morning playing it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I like how fishing in BotW is just link ambushing fish from the waters edge like a wild beast.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The OP revved up a stream once for 5 minutes to catch a godly legendary fish and as soon as he caught it he said "Well, that's it." and closed the stream.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Anyway OP, I couldn't tell you the name of the SNES fishing game my parents rented all the time but I did play a lot of a PC game called Trophy Bass Fishing By Sierra.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
is the earthbound guy's fishing game translated yet?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

that bird has hair!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SoulCalibur is a fishing game

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

ridiculous fishing is probably one of the best mobile games

BoastfulVirus
Jun 13, 2013

It’s weird. I feel like people won’t go out of their way to play a fishing game. But if a game has fishing in it, oh boy they hook line and sinkered into it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfYZYB2o18k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-SMefOv7Fo

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

The OP revved up a stream once for 5 minutes to catch a godly legendary fish and as soon as he caught it he said "Well, that's it." and closed the stream.

lol

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I didn't like the fishing in yakuza which is weird given every other minigame was good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

Do those FFXIV rare fish have any special function or are they just for bragging rights?

you can display them in aquariums in your in-game house. it's awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Big fan of the fishing in Shenmue III, especially since you get an awesome jacket from winning the fishing tourney.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

P-Mack posted:

I didn't like the fishing in yakuza which is weird given every other minigame was good

Agree with this. I think it's because it takes so long

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I think XV is still my favorite fishing minigame. The music alone, man.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

loved this game and always wanted the fishing controller but never got it.

also lots of good vibes fishing late at night in new horizons during quarantine.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

As a kid I played this gameboy game called Legend of the River King, didn't understand how to play it whatsoever but it was still a cool fishing rpg

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I did the lu shang’s rod quest in ffxi

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

tao of lmao posted:

I think XV is still my favorite fishing minigame. The music alone, man.

FFXV and Red Dead Redemption 2 have pretty much the same mini game iirc and they’re so good, I hope more games copy it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

this fucker made me hate fishing in vidya forever

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Plutonis posted:

this fucker made me hate fishing in vidya forever

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
when i was first playing sonic adventure i was real excited to unlock big and play the fishing and then i didnt understand the controls and made a friend do it for me

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Wormskull posted:

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

TNN Bass Tournament of Champions and Super Black Bass were constant rentals if we couldn't decide on what to get. Also the Dreamcast fishing controller was an absolute must for every Dreamcast owner.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

i really like fishing in stardew valley. is it feasible to do a fishing only run?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Wormskull posted:

lol

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

goferchan posted:

Other than the aquariums like IT said it's bragging rights and they're linked to achievements that give unique titles/mounts/items. I just like catching all the fish, even if some of them are immensely hosed up. It's like 75% pure luck and 25% knowing how to maximize your chances of catching something.

There used to be a rare fish in A Realm Reborn that could be desynthed into a crafting material that could make swimsuits that sold for a lot of gil but ever since then Square decided that fishing isn't allowed to make money so they haven't ever done something like that again.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

i really like fishing in stardew valley. is it feasible to do a fishing only run?

I did it the last time I played and yes, you can make fat stacks off fishing if it's what you spend your day doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

The Sega Bass Fishing voice samples still get quoted among my friends in any fishing game. “FISH!” “BIG ONE!!!” “smallll one”