Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Fair point. And I guess it's anecdotal and conversational places where people went 'well, mess (be a military aged male) with the bull (war criminals) you get the horns (war crimes done to you)' with a strange pride. Historians will still shake their head at how terrible it was that these war crimes ('if they happened') happened. There was a weird collision between the two, when Ken Burns, who interviewed at least one of the perpetrators of the My Lai massacre, and another who talked about committing rape, still couldn't help himself and said the troops, like those he'd interviewed were heroes who didn't deserve to be disrespected by trump. It's like...dude, you know they're war criminals. They told you about the war crimes.

Mark Jacobson, who's probably best known for his biography of William Cooper, has argued that My Lai should be looked at as an example of the American cult scene and William Calley as a cult leader of the type that emerged in postwar America, which I thought was both an interesting way to look at military ethos overall (especially now in the Forever War) but also one that obviously no one in the US is going to touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wonka giving poison candy to nazis?

No, he will be the creator of Fanta.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Failed Imagineer posted:

Oompa-Loompa Chief: we have an army

Wonka [smirking]: oh yeah? We have a BFG.

Niric posted:

Oompa loompa doompety do,
It's asymmetric warfare we have for you,
Oompa loompa doompety dee,
Each "enemy" you kill, will create three.

What do you get when you simply invade
And for what to do next no plans are made,
Thinking that might, will put things right
Forgetting that killing is just half the fight.

I don't like the look of it.

Oompa loompa doompety dee
Remember the lessons of history,
Oompa loompa doompety din,
The fanciest weapons don't guarantee a win.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dances With Oompa-Loompas

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Oompa Loompa doopity dot
Against the wall so you can be shot

Lmfao

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lid posted:

The mandalorian has made me think DOOM is in fact an adaptable IP and no not The Rock's version. Just The Doom Slayer.

I've got a detailed plan in my head on how you synthesize all previous Doom media into one trilogy for film in the same way the games are doing right now.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So is Wonka going to be revealed to have retroactively been Charlie's father the whole time, or are they going to do an amazing spider-man 2 thing where his father was a secret agent and is still alive, something something something he discovered some evil secret about Wonka

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I wonder what kind of insane money it would take to coax Mara Wilson back to feature films and reprise her Matilda role?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Klowner posted:

So is Wonka going to be revealed to have retroactively been Charlie's father the whole time, or are they going to do an amazing spider-man 2 thing where his father was a secret agent and is still alive, something something something he discovered some evil secret about Wonka

I forgot which thread I was in and was really amused at the thought of Willy Wonka being Charlie from It's Always Sunny's dad.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Niric posted:

Oompa loompa doompety do,
It's asymmetric warfare we have for you,
Oompa loompa doompety dee,
Each "enemy" you kill, will create three.

What do you get when you simply invade
And for what to do next no plans are made,
Thinking that might, will put things right
Forgetting that killing is just half the fight.

I don't like the look of it.

Oompa loompa doompety dee
Remember the lessons of history,
Oompa loompa doompety din,
The fanciest weapons don't guarantee a win.

Lmao goddamn

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

PizzaProwler posted:

I wonder what kind of insane money it would take to coax Mara Wilson back to feature films and reprise her Matilda role?

Netflix is making a movie of the musical version of Matilda, Emma Thomson is Trunchbull and Lashana Lynch is Miss Honey, maybe if they can get her to cameo in that she'll be open to more bigger roles.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tars Tarkas posted:

Netflix is making a movie of the musical version of Matilda, Emma Thomson is Trunchbull and Lashana Lynch is Miss Honey, maybe if they can get her to cameo in that she'll be open to more bigger roles.

I have no idea how Emma Thompson can possibly live up to the Trunchbull(Pam Ferris) from the original movie. It's one of the more perfect castings in movie history.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Friedkin's a genius but he's always had a conservative streak, and always been a provocateur on top of that. The hero of The French Connection is a brutal, racist cop who the film nonetheless tries to make as likeable as possible. To Live and Die in L.A. opens with a ridiculous Islamic terrorist caricature. Rampage is a full on pro-death penalty opinion piece. If you really wanna go all in, check out Rules of Engagement which is straight up jingoistic war crime apologia. I'm not even gonna get started on Cruising.

I've been doing a Friedkin marathon if you can't tell.

Killer Joe was the best movie of that year.

listen, if I hated every movie that had a director that hated me for my skin, then hell, I wouldn't be watching alot of movies. Whatever.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

galagazombie posted:

There's nothing really uniquely American about that. I don't think there has ever been an Imperial Power that didn't have an equivalent cultural tumor about celebrating war crimes against "those" people.

Mountbatton and the other ghouls that killed millions throughout the global south just kept on getting medals for it. Empire has an incentive to reward their killers.

e:

Snowman_McK posted:

That's entirely possible. From what I've read, most empires didn't really celebrate the war crimes, they ignored them, and simply focused on the gains and advantages. But then, I didn't like through those eras so it's entirely likely people celebrated british soldiers killing natives who were armed solely with fruit.

Lord Kitchener.Oversaw the Boer concentration camps, the direct inspiration to the German ones. more than 25K thousand women and children died there (81 percent of them were children). Later became Britain's Secretary of War

Lord Salisbury. Oversaw the deaths of over 2 million Indians due to starvation. Later became loving Prime Minister of Britain.

Alan Lennox-Boyd, 1st Viscount Boyd of Merton. Only 60 years ago, oversaw the suppression of the Mau Mau tribe against British control over Kenya. Created concentration camps, where detainess regularly had their balls smashed and were routinely beat to death. The governor of Kenya at the time, Evelyn Barin, said that detainee deaths were due to violence. Alan's response? "Public opinion is extremely sensitive on Hola problem.... I am sure you will agree we should try to let this unhappy incident drop out of sight as soon as possible".

Baring retired from government service soon after. Alan, according to Wiki, "In September 1960 he was raised to the peerage as Viscount Boyd of Merton of Merton-in-Penninghame in the County of Wigtown. This caused a by-election for his Mid Bedfordshire constituency which was won by Stephen Hastings. He was further honoured the same year when he was appointed a Companion of Honour."

Empires honor their killers.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 20, 2021

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Killer Joe was the best movie of that year.

listen, if I hated every movie that had a director that hated me for my skin, then hell, I wouldn't be watching alot of movies. Whatever.

Killer Joe fuckin rules

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Watching that with my mom on Christmas day was so funny.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://youtu.be/9mkiY-37OG4

Boss Level looks fun

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Killer Joe fuckin rules

It's the absolute perfect ideal of a dark comedy. What's Juno Temple been up to recently? She's fantastic.

Chairman Capone posted:

Mark Jacobson, who's probably best known for his biography of William Cooper, has argued that My Lai should be looked at as an example of the American cult scene and William Calley as a cult leader of the type that emerged in postwar America, which I thought was both an interesting way to look at military ethos overall (especially now in the Forever War) but also one that obviously no one in the US is going to touch.

I've not heard of him or William cooper. I'll put that on the list.

Shageletic posted:

Empires honor their killers.

Fair point. But, when their images are discussed, you don't focus on the killing. That gets glossed over or ignored. Kitchener stopped being a guy who built concentration camps and became the hero who went down with the ship, with the story being that he was still directing rescue efforts as it sank. More absurdly, some accounts from the time painted him as a King Arthur figure, sleeping beneath the waves for when britain needs him again. It's rarer that the acts of horrifying violence are the glorified part.

Shageletic posted:

"Public opinion is extremely sensitive on Hola problem.... I am sure you will agree we should try to let this unhappy incident drop out of sight as soon as possible".

This is, I think, the key phrase.

by contrast, Navy SEALs will write books boasting about how awesome they were at killing people in their sleep. For whatever reason, I read 'No easy day' which is supposedly an account of Bin Laden's killing by a guy who was there. The number of time he talks about how rad the gun was that let him shoot people in their sleep without waking up the people in the next room was truly remarkable. American Sniper, with all its graphic and boastful accounts of how many people he shot in the face, is no outlier. Just a complete lack of self awareness. It was a sharp contrast with 'Tropa De Elite' which is full of interviews with insane fascistic monsters who know how awful they and what they do are.

I think this is unusual in history, there's that wonderful quote from Bertrand Russel "Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never killing for their country" yet this is in no way true of the current American military culture. Killing is awesome, to be depicted in great detail and fidelity. Perhaps its a product of it being so long without a war with genuinely high american military casualties. Either way, we're way off topic so I'm happy to either stop or take it elsewhere. Thanks.

Lid posted:

The mandalorian has made me think DOOM is in fact an adaptable IP and no not The Rock's version. Just The Doom Slayer.

If Monty Oum hadn't sadly passed, you could have just given him 150 million dollars and let him go hog wild. You would have ended up with a two hour long action scene and it would have been incredible.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

I really enjoyed it. It's a mix of Run Lola Run and idk Kill BIll or something.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Snowman_McK posted:

If Monty Oum hadn't sadly passed, you could have just given him 150 million dollars and let him go hog wild. You would have ended up with a two hour long action scene and it would have been incredible.

Give it to the Castlevania people and have it be written by Bryan Fuller.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

Give it to the Castlevania people and have it be written by Bryan Fuller.

I found Castlevania to be a little overly self consciously written. It's not bad, but it's the well written version of 'woah, this isn't like the stories.' It's a style that Ellis is pretty good at, but it grated on me by the end of the second season.

That said, Castelvania's all too few fight scenes that I saw were really loving good. The one towards the end of season 2, where they enter the castle and style on a bunch of random goons and vampires, was absolutely great.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

It's the absolute perfect ideal of a dark comedy. What's Juno Temple been up to recently? She's fantastic.

Ted Lasso

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've been interested in Josh Olson's and Joe Dante's movie podcast, but never actually listened to it because they got loving John Landis on.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I still hold out hope that the Wonka prequel will be a four and a half hour, Pillars Of The Earth style movie about building a chocolate palace for a Maharaja. I want loving, twenty minute monologues about the structural integrity of 80% dark chocolate.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Fair point. But, when their images are discussed, you don't focus on the killing. That gets glossed over or ignored. Kitchener stopped being a guy who built concentration camps and became the hero who went down with the ship, with the story being that he was still directing rescue efforts as it sank. More absurdly, some accounts from the time painted him as a King Arthur figure, sleeping beneath the waves for when britain needs him again. It's rarer that the acts of horrifying violence are the glorified part.

This is, I think, the key phrase.

by contrast, Navy SEALs will write books boasting about how awesome they were at killing people in their sleep. For whatever reason, I read 'No easy day' which is supposedly an account of Bin Laden's killing by a guy who was there. The number of time he talks about how rad the gun was that let him shoot people in their sleep without waking up the people in the next room was truly remarkable. American Sniper, with all its graphic and boastful accounts of how many people he shot in the face, is no outlier. Just a complete lack of self awareness. It was a sharp contrast with 'Tropa De Elite' which is full of interviews with insane fascistic monsters who know how awful they and what they do are.

I think this is unusual in history, there's that wonderful quote from Bertrand Russel "Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never killing for their country" yet this is in no way true of the current American military culture. Killing is awesome, to be depicted in great detail and fidelity. Perhaps its a product of it being so long without a war with genuinely high american military casualties. Either way, we're way off topic so I'm happy to either stop or take it elsewhere. Thanks.

I think this is a pretty ahistorical take. Bragging about your martial valor as you slaughter the foreigner is old as poo poo, and the ways in which your brave soldiers humiliated and destroyed the enemy is a whole tradition. Romans marched parades of captured slaves through the city, showing off the treasures looted from their temples. The Book of Judges, in the Old Testament, contains verses that are just "So and so killed six hundred Philistines with a spear. He was a savior of Israel." The Song of Roland has verses about how the Franks gloriously butchered fleeing Muslims as they cried out to Muhammad. La Marseillaise has a verse about watering the fields of France with foreigner blood. British adventure novels from the late 19th took such grisly satisfaction in the superiority of the Maxim Gun as it mowed down "savages" that modern historical analysis thinks its strategic impact was actually pretty overblown. Hell, I just read a thread in this forum discussing how comics legend Jack Kirby (admittedly, American, but from a "good war") would brag about how he killed 4 Nazis every chance he got.

Like, if you want to say that there's a particular sociopathy related to how we cover Seal Team Six and the glorification of brutal violence, that's a solid, sensible argument, but to claim it's somehow a novelty feels like you're going on a pretty shaky claim Especially because the concept of a "war crime" is something that's varied a lot over time, and even today there's a bunch of arbitrary qualifiers towards which ones "count" as bad. Contrast how Americans feel about Seal Team 6 (killing the badguys woo!) and Trump's Blackwater pardons (an unpopular and morally gross decision) or the border concentration camps, where it wasn't something people cared about until they started releasing audio of kids crying, and then it became something Trump had to actually back down on. Every empire has arbitrary lines about which war crimes are awesome demonstrations of our power and their weakness and which war crimes are too ugly for the ordinary folk to stomach.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Precambrian posted:

Like, if you want to say that there's a particular sociopathy related to how we cover Seal Team Six and the glorification of brutal violence, that's a solid, sensible argument

That's the argument I was making. I apologise for not being clearer. Obviously the glorification of martial valour isn't new, but the comfort modern american depictions have with parts of the battle that tend to get written out in a lot of history does seem unusual. You could say that the difference is asymmetrical warfare, but the Boer war was pretty asymmetrical, and contemporary praise of Kitchener doesn't emphasise how effectively the british were starving the South African populace to death. Perhaps its not so much ahistorical as, since we're seeing it play out in real time, we see the odder versions of this. For a separate example, when they dropped the MOAB a couple of years ago, the simple act of the bomb being dropped was the part emphasised, not what it did or whether it did anything. It would be like those colonial pulp books just talking about the machine gun firing without ever telling you if the bullets hit anything.

I mean, obviously, virtually everything we're talking about is propaganda, but it's a little surprising some of the things that American propaganda does emphasise. There is always an understanding that propaganda, or recounting, leaves bits out. Sometimes the narrator says something like "this part wouldn't make the official histories" but the soldiers in the story do it without flinching. Sometimes it feels like there's a push among big chunks of the american population to be as desensitised or hardened as those characters. Like us, at home, can be as hard as those men. I think there's a semi coordinated push to move that line you were talking about, the line between what we will and won't accept.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'd say she's the standout of a surprisingly excellent Ted Lasso.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

That's the argument I was making. I apologise for not being clearer. Obviously the glorification of martial valour isn't new, but the comfort modern american depictions have with parts of the battle that tend to get written out in a lot of history does seem unusual. You could say that the difference is asymmetrical warfare, but the Boer war was pretty asymmetrical, and contemporary praise of Kitchener doesn't emphasise how effectively the british were starving the South African populace to death. Perhaps its not so much ahistorical as, since we're seeing it play out in real time, we see the odder versions of this. For a separate example, when they dropped the MOAB a couple of years ago, the simple act of the bomb being dropped was the part emphasised, not what it did or whether it did anything. It would be like those colonial pulp books just talking about the machine gun firing without ever telling you if the bullets hit anything.

I mean, obviously, virtually everything we're talking about is propaganda, but it's a little surprising some of the things that American propaganda does emphasise. There is always an understanding that propaganda, or recounting, leaves bits out. Sometimes the narrator says something like "this part wouldn't make the official histories" but the soldiers in the story do it without flinching. Sometimes it feels like there's a push among big chunks of the american population to be as desensitised or hardened as those characters. Like us, at home, can be as hard as those men. I think there's a semi coordinated push to move that line you were talking about, the line between what we will and won't accept.

Oh, no, 19th century Great Game stuff loved emphasizing that foreigners were dying, often in terror and helplessness as they got bloodily murdered. The bigger difference between 21st century America and 19th century England when it came to graphic joy in murdering foreigners come down to censorship making things more innuendo than direct "I shot him in the face." Thinking more about it, Medieval French songs like Roland were comically sadistic in their glee with violence against Muslims, as a way to emphasize that they were weaker and deserving of getting brutalized. Honestly, America's comparably restrained in their cultural attitude towards war crimes--Trump ran on killing family members and taking plunder and people generally took it as "unserious" and that it was just empty talk. Even his supporters took it as a bad thing they didn't try to justify like all his other horrible things.

E. gently caress! I forgot Shakespeare! Heroic gore and being coasted in your foes blood is awesome, provided you're killing the right guys.

Precambrian fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 21, 2021

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Oh no, Frank Grillo look out :ohdear:

Oh no, Frank Grillo :stonk:

OH NO FRANK!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Liam Neeson says he and Seth MacFarlane have talked about rebooting The Naked Gun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sure. I won’t ever watch it in my life though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My brain read that as Leslie Nielson and went :zombie:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lid posted:

Liam Neeson says he and Seth MacFarlane have talked about rebooting The Naked Gun.

Might as well go all the way and do Son Of The Naked Gun.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Liam Neeson would be great to take over that role.

Seth MacFarlane though... ehhhh.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Might as well go all the way and do Son Of The Naked Gun.

About a decade ago there was a "sequel"/reboot of The Naked Gun announced with Ed Helms starring as Frank Drebin Jr.

Never been happier for a movie to be trapped in development hell. Actually I think the movie Helms went on to do instead was Vacation which used that exact same formula.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Chairman Capone posted:

About a decade ago there was a "sequel"/reboot of The Naked Gun announced with Ed Helms starring as Frank Drebin Jr.

Never been happier for a movie to be trapped in development hell. Actually I think the movie Helms went on to do instead was Vacation which used that exact same formula.

I'm pretty sure the only funny part of the Ed Helms Vacation movie was the trailer pointing out reboots suck and kids don't care about the original vacation movies.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, Ed Helms was never a good pick for Naked Gun. It needs an actor that was best known for playing dramatic roles first, which Neeson is perfect for.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huJ81Mq2y34

this is the opening scene of the series and it's also the funniest part of the entire show so don't bother watching the rest. It's also missing the line where he says he took the role of Oskar Schindler because "I love making lists"

Cacator fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 21, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Yeah I'm in

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

Liam Neeson would be great to take over that role.

Seth MacFarlane though... ehhhh.

Like if he's the one that though Liam Neeson would be good for the role then he's obviously on the right track, as yeah neeson could be absolutely amazing in the role. That said I think the best chance of success would be if he just produced and left the directing/writing/acting -other than maybe the briefest of non speaking cameos- to other people.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

how was a Million Ways to die in the West

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bootleg Trunks posted:

how was a Million Ways to die in the West

It was really bad, but there were a few funny moments.