Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I guess if River is here I can't use the "oh he's busy being a fake roman soldier" excuse. Rory is fine, okay, but he is no best girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Big Mean Jerk, was this from you?

Nope, the only board game coming from me was Forbidden Desert.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nope, the only board game coming from me was Forbidden Desert.

Huh, ok thanks! This arrived today with no note or anything. :ohdear:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Posted this two threads ago, on December 18th:

Davros1 posted:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1340032996452290562?s=20

During a tweet along, RTD posted pics of the very first Who script he ever wrote, from 1985!

Well ... RTD just announced:

https://twitter.com/SafeSpaceDrWho/status/1351246822388494354?s=20

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I forgot how good Flatline is. The tiny TARDIS is such a great idea, I'd have been happy if they stretched it out to a two parter with more tiny TARDIS antics. And 2D monsters is a cool and good idea.

Why the heck hasn't Chibnall had Jamie Mathieson back? Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline, and Oxygen are all top tier stories. Yeah The Girl Who Died was less good but nobody's perfect and that was co-written with Moffat.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

marktheando posted:

I forgot how good Flatline is. The tiny TARDIS is such a great idea, I'd have been happy if they stretched it out to a two parter with more tiny TARDIS antics. And 2D monsters is a cool and good idea.

Why the heck hasn't Chibnall had Jamie Mathieson back? Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline, and Oxygen are all top tier stories. Yeah The Girl Who Died was less good but nobody's perfect and that was co-written with Moffat.

He wanted all new writers, rather than have anyone from Before who had been successful.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

He wanted all new writers, rather than have anyone from Before who had been successful.

On the one hand I applaud the attempt at doing his own thing without leaning on past success, but on the other hand... it’s uh definitely okay to lean a little, Chibs!

Especially when a lot of your new blood writers have just turned in kinda bland scripts with no character.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Big Mean Jerk posted:

On the one hand I applaud the attempt at doing his own thing without leaning on past success, but on the other hand... it’s uh definitely okay to lean a little, Chibs!

Especially when a lot of your new blood writers have just turned in kinda bland scripts with no character.

Doubly especially when you end up writing 50% of everything.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I guess if River is here I can't use the "oh he's busy being a fake roman soldier" excuse. Rory is fine, okay, but he is no best girl

Rory is best girl to the TARDIS, and that counts!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, of all the past writers on the show (short of RTD or Moffat writing one), the one I'd most want to return is Jamie Mathieson. Mummy on the Orient Express is a masterpiece.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/BBCWilliamWho/status/1351645661675057163?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Art. That what they just watched. :swoon:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/RichardsonBF/status/1351836989105049600?s=20

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I really just don't get how the Doctor ended up here when the early revival was just so good. It's frustratin.

Time for Disney to buy the whole thing and start a 20 year movie franchise.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Gameko posted:

I really just don't get how the Doctor ended up here when the early revival was just so good. It's frustratin. How can the writing be this bad?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Please don't even joke about a Disney Doctor Who

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

marktheando posted:

Please don't even joke about a Disney Doctor Who

"Geronimo!"
"Allons y!"
"Chim chim cher-ee!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dick Van Dyke would have been a brilliant Doctor.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Gameko posted:

I really just don't get how the Doctor ended up here when the early revival was just so good. It's frustratin.

It's been almost 16 years since the revival started, and we're 5 "full-time" Doctors into it with talk about who might be the 6th. It's a fair whack of time.

For context the original run went 26 years with a lot of ups and downs along the way, and at this time in the original run Tom Baker was into his last couple of series.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Reminds me of how Romana's outfit in Destiny of the Daleks was a pink coat & white scarf version of Four's ensemble

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mel's back! Also Season 24 on Blu-ray!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1352224428235522050

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

lol Mel stole the Big Finish chair.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm so glad old man Sly played the spoons in costume. adorable

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Many died or went mad making the HD transfer of Time and the Rani. We salute them o7

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ahh, that was quite sweet

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

It's been almost 16 years since the revival started, and we're 5 "full-time" Doctors into it with talk about who might be the 6th. It's a fair whack of time.

For context the original run went 26 years with a lot of ups and downs along the way, and at this time in the original run Tom Baker was into his last couple of series.

At this point I prefer original who hands down. I'll take the most boring 2-set Jon Pertwee no budget bottle episode over the debacle that was the 12th Doctor's debut.

The moment in Deep Breath when Lady Vastra and crew come ninjaing down on to save the day...what am I even watching? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Don't say things you can't take back, at least Deep Breath is shorter than The Monster of Peladon

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The second half of Deep Breath is p. good. Too bad about that first half.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Don't say things you can't take back, at least Deep Breath is shorter than The Monster of Peladon

How dare you insult the giant penis monster

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The second half of Deep Breath is p. good. Too bad about that first half.

Basically everything from the restaurant onwards is decent.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

How dare you insult the giant penis monster

Creature from the Pit isn't for a few years

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Creature from the Pit isn't for a few years

Nor is Daleks in Manhattan

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's penis monsters all the way down

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It's penis monsters all the way down

Sounds gay, I'm in. :hmmyes:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The_Doctor posted:

Basically everything from the restaurant onwards is decent.
I get the feeling that the story was initially written as normal-length with the restaurant being the point where things start being revealed, but then it was decided to make it a longer episode - so rather than go through the painful process of restructuring and extending an existing plot, Moffatt just threw 25 minutes of utter horseshit from his random ideas box together and stapled it onto the front of the script.

That and the first episode of 'Last of the Time Lords' were the times I've felt most genuinely embarrassed to be watching Doctor Who. And I watched 'The Twin Dilemma' and both the Rani stories on their first broadcast!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Gameko posted:

At this point I prefer original who hands down. I'll take the most boring 2-set Jon Pertwee no budget bottle episode over the debacle that was the 12th Doctor's debut.

Same here, nuWho looks slick and there are times when the show has flashes of genuine heart, but I absolutely hate that it's designed for the modern era of television and everything just feels like it's in a hurry to get to the end of the episode because it all has to be wrapped up in 45-55 minutes or so. Whereas putting on something like a six-part Pertwee story is like comfortably slipping into a big recliner and relaxing with a nice hot cup of tea at the end of a long day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Sounds gay, I'm in. :hmmyes:

The real penis monster was the friends we made along the way.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Same here, nuWho looks slick and there are times when the show has flashes of genuine heart, but I absolutely hate that it's designed for the modern era of television and everything just feels like it's in a hurry to get to the end of the episode because it all has to be wrapped up in 45-55 minutes or so. Whereas putting on something like a six-part Pertwee story is like comfortably slipping into a big recliner and relaxing with a nice hot cup of tea at the end of a long day.

This is a good point that I hadn't thought about much. The reboot sits in the unenviable position of being an episodic series in the age of prestige television. Episode format feels archaic and...childish? At least in the year 2021.

Staple that to the fact that Who is a cultural icon that plods on despite itself and is meant to be a family show: you end up with something that feels pretty unsatisfying. Old Who gave characters and situations plenty of time to breathe (sometimes to a fault). As an American who grew up watching Dr. 4 and Dr. 5 on PBS the feel of the show was so different from the domestic television of the time. We're never going back to that kind of pacing, but man... a modern Who written as a smart, 12 part prestige series could be a thing of beauty.

Guess we'll have to wait for it to show up on Disney+ in five years. The best part is they can bring back Mr. I-ain't-gettin-no-Disney-Plus as Dr. #15:

He should be ready to get paid by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gameko posted:

What are you talking about, The Pilot owned.