Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

My favorite part is that a lot of fans defended it on the grounds that okay yeah, maybe Quintana wasn't that fantastic overall for the Cubs, but his contract was so good that Theo had the flexibility to go out and sign Darvish!

The Ricketts are garbage, but that doesn’t mean the trade was awful at the time. Quintana was a good #2-3 starter and his contract did make him more valuable. He just sucked at pitching and doing dishes.

In hindsight yeah the whole premise was bullshit since the Ricketts decided to take a few offseasons off before the ‘rona gave them an excuse to burn it all down to pay down their Wrigleyville amusement part debt, but the deal itself at the time wasn’t an egregious overpay. Eloy is/was a stud but Cease at the time, and maybe even today still comes reliever risk on top of the teenage TJ on his resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

i swear to god if the Dodgers biggest offseason move is signing Trever loving Bauer

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1351981834595430400

:commissar:

I swear to god if the biggest thing one of the greatest rosters ever assembled does is add the cy young winner, might as well call the entire offseason a bust

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1352012740085346307

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

I swear to god if the biggest thing one of the greatest rosters ever assembled does is add the cy young winner, might as well call the entire offseason a bust
Trevor Bauer is a piece of poo poo human and I don't want him wearing my favorite baseball pajamas.

Let me cheer for quiet, closet chuds like Justin Turner and Corey Seager instead please.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Happ might get a dead cat bounce from facing Cleveland, the Royals, and Tigers a whole bunch but holy hell is he gonna get shelled against the Sox

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I like that Happ was able to withstand the pressure of all the jokes in these threads in his early career, and manage to have a decent go of it. It wouldn't have been easy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm sad that we lost the most likeable Astro but happy we kept the second most likeable Astro

Lots of Astros fans seem to be pushing for Jackie Bradley Jr which, ugh, I guess. Such a downgrade from Springer

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If the Astros can get Bradley for a couple of years I'd be cool with that. Nothing wrong with a Brantley - Bradley - Tucker outfield at all. It sets us up to compete at least next year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kirios posted:

It sets us up to compete at least next year.

[citation needed]

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If Verlander were able to pitch I'd say the Astros were still an 85-90 win team if they sign Bradley, likely to get in via the expanded playoff format (which would require bouncebacks from Altuve and Gurriel and a healthy Yordan)

That's assuming Framber's evolution is real. A Framber/Greinke/McCullers/Javier/??? rotation on the other hand is below average. If Framber falls back down to earth and Javier has a sophomore slump.... maybe a 75-78 win team?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
At least we didn't let everyone walk, I am ok with that. I like Brantley :)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

chicago cubs sign a guy to the major league roster challenge

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Royals continuing their reunion tour, giving Wade Davis a minor league deal

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

I can't wait until the Yankees face him. It will be very cathartic.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Happ is fine for the back of the rotation.

Also the Twins will be spending more, they always wait out the market. It's a little murky how much they'll ultimately end up at. Re-signing Cruz is a priority but nobody wants to do poo poo on that front until the NL DH is firmly decided. They could be a surprise buyer on the SS market, moving Jorge Polanco to a utility role.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Intruder posted:

I'm sad that we lost the most likeable Astro but happy we kept the second most likeable Astro

Lots of Astros fans seem to be pushing for Jackie Bradley Jr which, ugh, I guess. Such a downgrade from Springer

JBJ is still an extremely good defensive CF, and there's usually a 6-8 week stretch where he hits like Mickey Mantle. It's just that he can't hit at all outside of that 6-8 week stretch. You'll enjoy him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

Also the Twins will be spending more, they always wait out the market. It's a little murky how much they'll ultimately end up at. Re-signing Cruz is a priority but nobody wants to do poo poo on that front until the NL DH is firmly decided. They could be a surprise buyer on the SS market, moving Jorge Polanco to a utility role.

Specifically the Twins have made a couple offers to him but he and his agent are refusing to sign anything until the NL DH is actually decided for sure.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’d be fine with JBJ, I just don’t expect Click and Crane to actually do anything else this off-season. Tbch, I’m shocked and flabbergasted that they actually handed Uncle Mike a contract instead of letting him walk.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Better JBJ than Straw

The pitching is still going to be extremely questionable though, wonder if we see Whitley thrown into the fire

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

We're talking about a team that went to the ALCS last year - they aren't that far off.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kirios posted:

We're talking about a team that went to the ALCS last year - they aren't that far off.

It was a 60 game season where half the league made the playoffs.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Which should make it more impressive that they got as far as they did. Hell, they were one win from the World Series! Lets not act like the Astros are garbage or anything.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Astros had a losing record and got hot in the post season.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Adams_Steve/status/1352056891673870338

Cubs officially getting outbid by NPB teams lmao

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Slimy Hog posted:

I heard somewhere (a podcast) that the MLB is considering rule where each team gets a DH until the starting pitcher is removed from the game, has anyone else heard this?

The Athletic had an article about it and Jayson Stark says it's "an idea that has come up in baseball’s brainstorming sessions behind the scenes" but there's no source or an indication that anyone is seriously considering this.

https://theathletic.com/2321909/2021/01/14/mlbl-dh-idea-starting-pitcher/

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1352254445644636163

Astros bringing back Castro for some reason even though I'm reasonably sure Stubbs could give them a bad hitting every 5th day catcher without bringing in someone new

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Jackie Bradley Jr sucks, the only reason the red sox were able to carry his dead weight was the rest of the lineup hit the poo poo out of the ball

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like Jackie Bradley Jr would suffer some terrible injury trying to recklessly steal home runs in that park. Either that or his value drops a ton since he can't. Or he just keeps trying and does something insane like scale the chain link fence.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I found it, the best HOF steroids/Civil War take

https://twitter.com/zackattack922/status/1352293652014526473?s=21

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

lee was a colonel before the war

(civil war history dunk)

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Weren't the White Sox on this list earlier in the offseason?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/Adams_Steve/status/1352056891673870338

Cubs officially getting outbid by NPB teams lmao

If I recall correctly, I think it was the Cubs insider blog that mentioned when a deal like this goes down, the NPB team will send a million dollars or so to "buy" the players rights.

Which actually means they sold 2019 PCL Pitcher of the year (I know, lol PCL) and at the time probable 5th starter Colin Rea for a million bucks.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Trying to post less Twitter embeds but this could be good

https://twitter.com/longenhagen/status/1352323867235110913?s=12

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1352254445644636163

Astros bringing back Castro for some reason even though I'm reasonably sure Stubbs could give them a bad hitting every 5th day catcher without bringing in someone new

maybe Javier Bracamonte wants to retire after 20 years?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GoatSeeGuy posted:

If I recall correctly, I think it was the Cubs insider blog that mentioned when a deal like this goes down, the NPB team will send a million dollars or so to "buy" the players rights.

Which actually means they sold 2019 PCL Pitcher of the year (I know, lol PCL) and at the time probable 5th starter Colin Rea for a million bucks.

Yep, it's just a quick cash infusion for Tom. As for Rea yeah our pitching depth is shot to poo poo but he was also pretty terrible across the board in a small sample last year and has never really looked like more than at best a fringy fifth starter type for his career so I'm not shedding too many tears. At this point 2021 is looking like a punt anyway, so might as well bring up guys like Miller, Abbot, etc from Iowa and see what they have to offer.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Braves have supposedly "expressed interest" in Realmuto but there's no way they're matching the Phillies on a nine figure deal for a position that (unlike third base or the empty corner outfield slot) actually has an answer already on the roster, so I think it's just kicking the tires / irking a division rival.

It would be loving funny, though.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Remind me who the Braves have at catcher that would mean they don't need Realmuto?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I think they're banking on d'Arnaud being the player he was in 184 PA in 2020, and not the player he was in his 1860 previous career PA

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 21, 2021

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Remind me who the Braves have at catcher that would mean they don't need Realmuto?

It's not that they or anyone else couldn't use Realmuto and obviously d'Arnaud is going to regress, it's more a matter of whether they spend the money they rip out of Liberty Media's begrudging hands on a catcher rather than a corner outfielder or third baseman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

It's not that they or anyone else couldn't use Realmuto and obviously d'Arnaud is going to regress, it's more a matter of whether they spend the money they rip out of Liberty Media's begrudging hands on a catcher rather than a corner outfielder or third baseman.
And the only versatility JT has is some light duty at 1B, which is kinda spoken for... oh wait: Freddie back to his aspirational position of 3B, JT to first, D'Arnaud behind the plate let's go