Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I mean I’m kind of a fan if it gives me multiple options within an eztremely niche sub-sub genre.

I only wish one of the two raft-city builders would get good. It seems like both are a little bit too early in the early access.

Raft is very fun multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Has anyone played Hammerhelm/is it any good? And does it have decent management elements?

I mean I’m kind of a fan if it gives me multiple options within an eztremely niche sub-sub genre.

I only wish one of the two raft-city builders would get good. It seems like both are a little bit too early in the early access.

Airborne Kingdoms is maybe a semi-substitute in that you have to build on a self-contained floating (in the air) island.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Airborne Kingdoms is hella chill

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Maybe it’s just me finding patterns where there are none.

i think it's just part of the general explosion in the number of games being released. the downside is that a ton of them are from small studios, early access, with widely variant levels of dev competency and idea originality

obscure management games fit well into this early access/tiny studio model because anyone with some drive and skill can make a game, and you may end up with banished or shadow empires or you may end up with something that dies halfway through development or is just a blatant genre permutation with no original ideas

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Turns out Humble has Endzone and Space Haven Steam keys for $36 combined so I might just get that deal, hah.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Dyson Sphere Program is out in Early Access and it's just ~15$. And I have to go to work now :(

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
DSP impressions so far, been playing about an hour: feels almost identical to starting off in Factorio, except you're the robot from Pacific Rim in the Spore universe. No bugs yet and the translation isn't terrible.

edit: A few hours later, taking a break but didn't encounter a single bug and I'm digging it. There's a few things it does so far that I actually like better than Factorio. I've just about finished off the lowest tier of science (handled very similarly to Factorio, 5 colored tiers), and I'm thinking about how I'm going to setup my item mall and start paving the first world. The star system I'm in has a gas giant with two moons, one of them my starting world, and one other 'ashen gelisol' type planet. Theres about 40 or so stars in the cluster, 10 or so star types, and glancing at the tech tree I think the different types of planets, gas giants, and stars are probably all going to do different things. Looking good so far!

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 21, 2021

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

metasynthetic posted:

DSP impressions so far, been playing about an hour: feels almost identical to starting off in Factorio, except you're the robot from Pacific Rim in the Spore universe. No bugs yet and the translation isn't terrible.

edit: A few hours later, taking a break but didn't encounter a single bug and I'm digging it. There's a few things it does so far that I actually like better than Factorio. I've just about finished off the lowest tier of science (handled very similarly to Factorio, 5 colored tiers), and I'm thinking about how I'm going to setup my item mall and start paving the first world. The star system I'm in has a gas giant with two moons, one of them my starting world, and one other 'ashen gelisol' type planet. Theres about 40 or so stars in the cluster, 10 or so star types, and glancing at the tech tree I think the different types of planets, gas giants, and stars are probably all going to do different things. Looking good so far!

Sounds like I know what I'm doing this weekend

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Well I know whats going to be eating my time up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the goddamn steam page doesn't open for me. either throws an error or just redirects to frontpage lmao

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I played 15 minutes of dsp and it does look really cool, digging that all the reviews including the above mention that it's essentially bug free. Did do a minor lol at the keybinds settings page a) being untranslated b) not working anyway but they have full tooltips and tutorials translated and going. This is probably the most polished and featurefull early access I've ever seen honestly.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

drat i didnt expect dsp to actually be good

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Maybe this is the actual only bug, but the very first time I opened the keybinds page it was untranslated as you said, then later on I was desperate to find some way to re-open the tutorials message log (G btw) and it was suddenly translated.

Also FYI, the reason i opened it was because I wasn't paying close attention to the tutorial, but just because miners can poop directly onto a belt, doesn't mean anything else can and you have to use this game's version of inserters to do that. The devs clearly are homaging (if that's the word) Factorio and the parallels keep coming. Even the mech is the same color.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Every video Ive seen makes me thinks the devs thought "Factorio. But bigger!" And then just ran with it.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Honestly I'm trying to restrain my excitement for this one, because it's throbbing. I wasn't following it closely or anything either, I basically forgot about it until yesterday.

edit: a pic. Also: I think the "1m/s" type upgrades mean one map grid unit, not one meter, assuming the robot is at least 100 tall.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 21, 2021

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
One little touch about DSP that i'm already loving is you can control the main char with wasd but you can also right click move/shift right click queue like an RTS, which you can't do in factorio until you get something specific in the late game, and is great.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

metasynthetic posted:

Honestly I'm trying to restrain my excitement for this one, because it's throbbing.

:q:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I hadn't even heard of DSP until 1 hour before it released. I waited for reviews to jump in but I'm very encouraged by what I'm seeing :getin:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

queeb posted:

drat i didnt expect dsp to actually be good

Same. I thought it looked like early access mediocrity, but I want to build a Dyson sphere with every fibre of my being so I'll be pouring over reviews now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
There is some jank in the language but that's about all that I saw. Trying to get my Mandarin speaking son to do a translate for the key binds, I'll let you know how that turns out.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nthing that DSP is...Factorio. It's 3D Factorio.

This is not a bad thing, overall it's a good thing. But if you loved/hated Factorio you'll have the exact same reaction to DSP.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

RabbitWizard posted:

Dyson Sphere Program is out in Early Access and it's just ~15$. And I have to go to work now :(

Same here. I'm scouring the internet on my lunch break for information. What if Planetary Annihilation, but Factorio?

It's also at the top of the "Top Sellers" on Steam so this thing is about to explode.

Travic fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 21, 2021

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Checking out Nivarious's'es' video uploaded like 30 min ago rn.

Is this a psyop? This feels like a psyop. I am being honey potted.

Edit: oh god, the rocket start. It has my heart.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 21, 2021

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yeah bad news about DSP, it's hitting the exact same buttons as factorio and you're going to lose a lot of hours to it.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So far this is everything I love about Factorio and more. Being about to sort my spaghetti into layers right off the bat already makes me happy as hell. I already know I'm going to ruin into the same issues I had with Factorio in that my factories are always inefficient piles of messy bits.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Two questions about the game:

1) is there a pause key? My settings are not in English.
2) How do you make refined oil? Doesn’t seem to be with the oil refinery.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
There is not a pause key other than ESC. And I'm trying to figure out oil myself.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The output of the oil extractor has to be a conveyor, not a sorter. Also the conveyor has to start in the middle spot (where the oil patch is), not the edge of the extractor like other machines.

In the refinery, the Plasma Refining recipe will turn crude into refined + hydrogen.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man this is totally factorio. but 3d and poo poo., its great. i really need to figure out ratios and poo poo but i just automated belts anyways!!

queeb fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 21, 2021

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

I notice I'm way over planning these early production chains. A 3 stack blue lab doesn't need the 8 smelters I made for it. Dyson sphere game is amazing and I'm going to lose days into it.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Yeah, really polished start, and I need to figure out ratios from scratch. It doesn't seem like it's Factorio levels of supply (at least just yet). I'm way overbuilding smelters, for example.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

huh, looks like your starter inserters can grab from 3 belts wide. thats really nice.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've gotten to automating red research and this is great.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm 1000 miles away from my Management Gaming Rig for the next month so I'll be interested to see if DSP is evergreen Factorio copying or it starts losing wind. Will probably end up buying it on release sale if the current trajectory holds.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Played for like 30 minutes on break and yeah I'm gonna lose some sleep playing this one I think. I said "oh no" when someone compared it to Planetary Annihilation but I think it's just the perspective of the planet you're on that draws that comparison. It is Factorio through and through, but also appears like you can leave your planet and go build on other planets nearby which is cool as hell. Runs kinda stuttery for me, might just need to lock the framerate at 60 or something or turn down the graphics a bit. It doesn't run poorly, just a little jittery for me.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
yup can confirm DSP is solid, just put a few hrs into it, great price and i don't mind the little bit of engrish

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So a couple thing I've noticed for DSP:

1) Don't be afraid to spread your factory around, there's a lot of land to cover and power distribution is generous.
2) The planets actually rotate, so spread your solar collectors around in order to catch the sun most efficiently
3) You can carpet the planet in metal if you so desire
4) The mecha upgrades actually feel like significant upgrades, which is awesome.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is there a biter equivalent in DSP?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Are the maps procedurally generated in DSP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Azhais posted:

Is there a biter equivalent in DSP?

“ A: The current Early Access build includes the core gameplay with a sandbox universe to explore, logistics chains, etc. Combat will be implemented in the future; we will announce our development roadmap soon.”