Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

FogHelmut posted:

Can't wait for the era of cameramen shifting their weight from side to side moving their handheld cameras in a figure 8 pattern between quick-zooms into character's faces to accentuate reactions and punclines.
I initially didn't watch Arrested Development for a long time because I hated that style. It worked for stuff like Christopher Guest movies because it's in-universe, but without that aspect of it, I thought it was dumb. Then I got used to it when watching The Office since the mockumentary style was in-universe, so I went back and watched AD. It still kind of bugs me unless it's supposed to be there, and it doesn't make sense for a show like Modern Family (or the cutaway couch interviews) since they never implied that there's really a doc crew in their house 24/7. Given what the overall premise of WandaVision seems to be though, I can see them pulling that off in an interesting way, and addressing it directly. Either a "who are you people" gag, or a way to connect to the world outside of whatever Wanda's trapped in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

sticklefifer posted:

I initially didn't watch Arrested Development for a long time because I hated that style. It worked for stuff like Christopher Guest movies because it's in-universe, but without that aspect of it, I thought it was dumb. Then I got used to it when watching The Office since the mockumentary style was in-universe, so I went back and watched AD. It still kind of bugs me unless it's supposed to be there, and it doesn't make sense for a show like Modern Family (or the cutaway couch interviews) since they never implied that there's really a doc crew in their house 24/7. Given what the overall premise of WandaVision seems to be though, I can see them pulling that off in an interesting way, and addressing it directly. Either a "who are you people" gag, or a way to connect to the world outside of whatever Wanda's trapped in.

Arrested development has a doccy feel to it-the omniscient narrator and the camera work made it seem almost like a reenactment.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Arrested development has a doccy feel to it-the omniscient narrator and the camera work made it seem almost like a reenactment.

Ron Howard may not be at the top of my list of actors to play Uatu the Watcher, but I'd be lying if I said he wasn't on the list.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 20, 2021

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Nameless Pete posted:

Ron Howard may not be at the top of my list of actors to play Uatu the Watcher, but I'd be lying if I said he wasn't on the list.

Jeffery Wright has already been cast as Uatu the watcher and he was definitely on the top of my list.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Good, that way they save Howard as one of Deadpool internal monologs in Deadpool 3.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Nameless Pete posted:

Thanos: "I am... inevitable."
Uatu: "He wasn't."

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Gavok posted:

Figured out how to improve the second episode.

https://twitter.com/barelysushi/status/1351330612133711874

Woah!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Argue posted:

Thanos: "I am... inevitable."
Uatu: "He wasn't."

I admit I'm really looking forward to the commercial for Episode 6 or 7 or so. I'm hoping it's something like:

With the Purple Power of Titan Cleanser, wiping out germs and stains will be a Snap!

Cue a logo with Thanos doing the Mr. Clean pose.

It's pure speculation, but it's to see them not doing something like that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Everyone posted:

I admit I'm really looking forward to the commercial for Episode 6 or 7 or so. I'm hoping it's something like:

With the Purple Power of Titan Cleanser, wiping out germs and stains will be a Snap!

Cue a logo with Thanos doing the Mr. Clean pose.

It's pure speculation, but it's to see them not doing something like that.

Guaranteed to wipe out exactly 50% of all germs and bacteria or your money back.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
You tried scrubbing. You tried bleaching. You even tried other products.

Where did that bring you? Back to me.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I really hate it so far.

That's not to say it's not good or that I won't keep watching it. I just have no idea what's going on. I've seen all the Marvel movies and I play the Marvel fighting games but I'm completely blanking. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so I'm trying to view it through the lens of someone watching The Mandalorian after only seeing the original trilogy, and I think after two episodes that person would still be able to get a feel for the plot.

Currently I just feel like I'm literally watching knockoffs of Bewitched and I Love Lucy, and I get that's the point, but there's no apparent payoff. And yeah I get that you're supposed to be unsettled and not really know exactly what's going on, but flipping through the last few pages and reading the spoilers it seems like hardcore fans know what's up since there are a bunch of clues that are obvious, but only to people familiar with obscure Marvel minutiae and it's not really for the rest of us.

Overall I just feel like I'm being trolled.

Maybe I'm not explaining this well-- Again I think it's really good (it's really cool whenever something goes awry and they signal it by departing from from traditional sitcom camera angles) and I'm not trying to come across as an ornery jerk. I'm sure something will come along soon to make it more accessible to less-hardcore Marvel fans.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think the show was probably made to be binged, but Disney decided to release it weekly instead after seeing how well the Mandalorian worked as a weekly release. Nobody really knows what's going on, even us hardcore fans. We just have guesses because of familiarity with comics and spotting easter eggs, but that doesn't mean we actually know what's going on.

The payoff is probably a few weeks off, so it might be something to wait until more shows are out and binge watch it.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Look at it not as a knock-off but instead an analysis of era-specific writing and cinematography.

Edit: I’m not a funny book collector but has anybody done a limited series like this where the first issue is styled like Sunday strips, second is silver era, then it goes through gold and the 90s up to current era. That’d be the same thing but on paper.

Odoyle fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 22, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking as someone who couldn't care less about comics "mythology", and who hasn't seen a Marvel film in about five years (or a single episode of the Dick Van Dyke show, or Bewitched) I think this is perfectly accessible.

The main characters are trapped in a sitcom world, and the exact nature of their entrapment is unclear. That's all you really need to know.

Codependent Poster posted:

I think the show was probably made to be binged

Yeah, I don't think this is true. Episodes are too self-contained, and it flies in the face of the Disney Plus business model. It's clearly episodically structured television.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Speaking as someone who couldn't care less about comics "mythology", and who hasn't seen a Marvel film in about five years (or a single episode of the Dick Van Dyke show, or Bewitched) I think this is perfectly accessible.

The main characters are trapped in a sitcom world, and the exact nature of their entrapment is unclear. That's all you really need to know.

Yeah, I don't think this is true. Episodes are too self-contained, and it flies in the face of the Disney Plus business model. It's clearly episodically structured television.

Yeah; if it was binged I think it could still work, but I feel like the Disney+ model is to do weekly releases so that the shows remain in the conversation for at least 2 months. It worked for The Mandalorian and if this week has been any indication it kind of works for WV too (though it remains to be seen if it works in less mystery heavy shows like What If or Ms Marvel)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Went for a second watch, had fun, second episode is the best and Paul Bettany is so good at comedy (I had forgotten he was in a Knight's Tale and always loved his character in it).

Open Source Idiom posted:

Speaking as someone who couldn't care less about comics "mythology", and who hasn't seen a Marvel film in about five years (or a single episode of the Dick Van Dyke show, or Bewitched)

My local TV network would play reruns of Bewitched, so I did grow up watching those. I guess that's why the second episode hit me with a bit of nostalgia.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Hazo posted:

I've seen all the Marvel movies and I play the Marvel fighting games but I'm completely blanking. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so I'm trying to view it through the lens of someone watching The Mandalorian after only seeing the original trilogy, and I think after two episodes that person would still be able to get a feel for the plot.

Currently I just feel like I'm literally watching knockoffs of Bewitched and I Love Lucy, and I get that's the point, but there's no apparent payoff. And yeah I get that you're supposed to be unsettled and not really know exactly what's going on, but flipping through the last few pages and reading the spoilers it seems like hardcore fans know what's up since there are a bunch of clues that are obvious, but only to people familiar with obscure Marvel minutiae and it's not really for the rest of us.
I would actually disagree with this. I'm not a hardcore comics fan, but I've seen all the MCU movies and nearly all Marvel TV, and I think it's pretty easy to extrapolate from context clues and the scenes of people trying to contact her that Wanda's trapped in some weird TV world inside her mind (either she created it and is hiding from someone, or someone else created it and she has some control over it), and she's scared to leave because she knows the real Vision is dead. I don't know a lot of the easter egg references, but I can at least figure out a general sense of what's happening.

Aside from that, it's just fun so far. Especially if you were raised on Nick-at-Nite. It seems like they're gradually going towards modern TV, so the nostalgia trip is fun too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This is extraordinarily 70s right now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
episode 3 thoughts

The names of the babies will make a lot of comics fans flip out. The 70s stuff looked great. I don't think this episode was as funny as the previous one. However, this is my favorite episode so far. The glitch/rewind effect was cool. I enjoyed the bits of the main plot that happen at the end of each episode. Quicksilver getting mentioned was a great moment.I wish the episodes were a little longer and had more of the main plot/things going off the rails. Wish Disney would have released all of these at once.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 22, 2021

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
poo poo’s getting SPOOKY.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gonz posted:

This is extraordinarily 70s right now.

The dining room table is exactly what my grandparents had when I was a kid. My grandfather when he retired was given a huge amount of money and he bough a house and furnished it in the finest way you could in the late 70s.

Based on the end of this Looks like the town is real, and the people in town are real, but Wanda is in control and creating her perfect world. Whether this is something she is doing on her own volition or being manipulated into doing remains to be seen. Clearly Monica being sent inside caused her to be effected to but not completely, as she was able to remember things.

Assuming that Agnes is Agatha Harnkess, I figure she did something to Wanda and was trapped inside, and is trying to manipulate Wanda for some unknown end. Also is there any good images of Agnes' broach? She's always wearing it and it almost looks like a Grim Reaper or something. I've not seen it mentioned in any of the "things you missed" videos I've seen.

I figure that we'll find out more of whats going on now that we've seen the outside world. Probably just learn what Jimmy Woo and Darcy and the rest of Sword know. Also I'm not going to be surprised this ends with at least Billy officially being in the MCU, and this leading to some form of Young Avengers show. Billy, America, Kate and adding in Kamala plus maybe Miles or Sam and of course Teddy, can't have Billy without Teddy being in a young avengers D+ show in a year or two, hell ya

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The "edit" when Vision starts realizing something is wrong and Wanda resets reality to keep him from bursting her bubble was fantastic, one of the few times you can get away with such an obvious cut like that and completely get away with it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I can't believe they got away with doing an episode partially based on what's considered one of the worst storylines in Marvel history, Avengers #200. It was Carol Danvers in the comics, but doing a storyline where one of the Avengers goes through a mysterious and super-quick pregnancy and nobody seems to bat much of an eye about it can't be a coincidence.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gavok posted:

I can't believe they got away with doing an episode partially based on what's considered one of the worst storylines in Marvel history, Avengers #200. It was Carol Danvers in the comics, but doing a storyline where one of the Avengers goes through a mysterious and super-quick pregnancy and nobody seems to bat much of an eye about it can't be a coincidence.

I think this might be taking elements from The Vision and the Scarlet Witch 1985 series. Read what happens in issues 3 and 4 of that series. https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Vision_and_the_Scarlet_Witch_Vol_2_3 https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Vision_and_the_Scarlet_Witch_Vol_2_4
edit: On further glance, the pregnancy wasn't short in that series.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 22, 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I really didn't like that episode. What made the first two strong, and in particular episode two, was that they were a decently funny sitcom as well as being a splash of good comics nonsense. Episode 3 just felt like rushed story development and wasn't enjoyable as a standalone. Felt like they were going through the motions.

The last three minutes has some good thriller vibes but then it ends and you get your customary seven minute credits.

Also it seems to be lining up with all the predictions that everyone has already made relating to Mephisto children nonsense, and I kinda hope to be surprised by the direction

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I like that they dialed back the sitcom-ness and delved more into Wanda exerting her will on the town and others showing their angst/fear of that. This isn't Marvel doing Leave It To Beaver & The Brady Bunch, it's Marvel doing The Twilight Zone. It's also incredibly tragic because we've seen that Wanda is aware of what's happening thanks to the beekeeper and now Vision/Geraldine questioning this idyllic false reality. She's denying the tragedies in her life by preferring to live in this false Wandaverse and, while no one can really blame her, it's just so, so sad.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

I like that they dialed back the sitcom-ness and delved more into Wanda exerting her will on the town and others showing their angst/fear of that. This isn't Marvel doing Leave It To Beaver & The Brady Bunch, it's Marvel doing The Twilight Zone. It's also incredibly tragic because we've seen that Wanda is aware of what's happening thanks to the beekeeper and now Vision/Geraldine questioning this idyllic false reality. She's denying the tragedies in her life by preferring to live in this false Wandaverse and, while no one can really blame her, it's just so, so sad.

I do agree. I went in wanting a spooky vibe and not a sitcom, but that episode just didn't feel like it stood on it's own without the sitcom vibe that carried episode 2.

Also, Agnes's husband is definitely the Grim Reaper. Her comments about him like better dead, looks better in the dark, make him disappear and her bracelet being a reaper

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'd describe it as Lynchian. He loves to have idyllic towns torn apart by dark secrets coming out.

Also I hope that them mentioning a daughter means that Viv will appear. She'll just appear as the precious and too cute youngest kid that sitcoms think people like

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

them mentioning a daughter means that Viv will appear. She'll just appear as the precious and too cute youngest kid that sitcoms think people like

You can see Viv (or a different young red skinned girl) in a family photo in the background of a scene in the second trailer so she is definitely in.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I felt Wanda and Vision were pretty underdeveloped in the MCU movies, I remember one scene with them in civil war and Wanda being sad when vision died but for the most part they were crammed into movies with dozens of other characters. I can’t remember how or why they got together in the first place.

So IMO it’s not like you need the movies beyond a brief synopsis to understand what’s going on.

But then while agents of shield or daredevil or something felt like attempts at a new viewer friendly TV series this new line of shows feels very similar to how physical comic series work, where there will be limited spin-off series of a character with a totally new artist and writer who has their own concept they want to explore in this run so they just hit the ground running and don’t bother to explain the new status quo. Like the Sentry miniseries that was all 50's comics pastiche.

That’s probably a more familiar feeling for comic readers, you open a book and now some major character is dead now or someone else has a totally new set of powers and you’ve just got to roll with it or read the Wikipedia.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 22, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think I agree that the sitcom gimmick wasn't quite as strong this week 'cuz the pregnancy was such a huge element of the episode, and a plot like that is actually so universal and timeless that it didn't particularly cater to any 70s vibe. There was stuff in the first two episodes that was like, oh yeah, this feels like it belongs in a 50s or 60s sitcom, but there was nothing here that particularly stood out as anything that a 70s show might have have, moreso than any other decade.

I do like the overall metaplot still going on though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought the first two episodes were good, but this really took it up a notch. I like the sitcom format, but the overall story is why i'm watching.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Yeah. If we had gotten 6 episodes of sitcom plots with a few minutes of actual plot, it would have been too much. If from now on it's just a sitcom style and the plot moving forward then I'm ok with that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

At this rate I might start just watching the last five minutes of the episodes to skip the dull sitcom parody.

Too Many Cooks did this whole thing better, weirder and quicker.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 22, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
show is still good, would be nice if it didn’t keep underscoring the shifts away from sitcom pastiche with ominous music and just let the changes in cinematography and acting style speak for themselves

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is kinda getting tiresome.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

This is kinda getting tiresome.

This is what I thought about episode 2. I skipped to the end just to watch the moving arc bit.

I'm a little bit disappointed in this. I was hoping for more of a mindfuck type of show where Wanda is bending realities, and while that IS what is starting to happen, I think this is moving WAY too slow for me. With what they have, maybe they should have done an hour special or something. Entertainment can be many things, but it shouldn't be boring. The slow crawl is boring me.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
my view on the slow-burn pacing is basically the same as it was last week: cautiously optimistic that all the time spent in the false sitcom reality will end up paying off in later episodes, but not entirely convinced that it will

hopefully, the ending of episode 3 means that the show is shifting gears going forward, because if we get another that sticks to the "[insert decade here] sitcom pastiche played mostly straight as cracks in the facade intermittently emerge" template, it'll be hard for me to say that it isn't dragging things out or being self-indulgent

An Ounce of Gold posted:

This is what I thought about episode 2. I skipped to the end just to watch the moving arc bit.

I'm a little bit disappointed in this. I was hoping for more of a mindfuck type of show where Wanda is bending realities, and while that IS what is starting to happen, I think this is moving WAY too slow for me. With what they have, maybe they should have done an hour special or something. Entertainment can be many things, but it shouldn't be boring. The slow crawl is boring me.

assuming that the first three episodes are the only ones that adhere to the aforementioned template, I do think it would have been better to at least premiere them all the first week, if not to condense them into one hour-long episode

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 22, 2021

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Interesting how they're depicting Geraldine/Monica as the red herring villain. Agnes is seemingly fully aware that she's in an illusion but playing the part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shneak posted:

Interesting how they're depicting Geraldine/Monica as the red herring villain. Agnes is seemingly fully aware that she's in an illusion but playing the part.

So is everyone else in the town dead, but recreated by Wanda? Is that maybe what the neighbor was about to say?