Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Dr Who as a prestige series sounds like the worst thing it could possibly be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gameko posted:

The best part is they can bring back Mr. I-ain't-gettin-no-Disney-Plus as Dr. #15:

He should be ready to get paid by then.

I would love to see this. Also, he’s getting paid now? John Boyega is still in things? Check out Steve McQueen’s Small Axe: Red, White, and Blue. He absolutely shines in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHZBlM2q5HA

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gameko posted:

Guess we'll have to wait for it to show up on Disney+ in five years. The best part is they can bring back Mr. I-ain't-gettin-no-Disney-Plus as Dr. #15:

Because John Boyega is bad, and he'll need the money? Someone didn't watch Small Axe.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Gameko posted:

Guess we'll have to wait for it to show up on Disney+ in five years. The best part is they can bring back Mr. I-ain't-gettin-no-Disney-Plus as Dr. #15:

What is this post, I mean really

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I'm sticking with my prediction. John Cleese famously said the best parts were in the UK but all the good money was in America.

Boyega's just one good scandal away from crawling back.

(Plus I really want to see him as the Doctor...I think he's got that perfect blend of gravitas, charisma, and wit.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Do you think Oscar Isaac ‘crawled back’ when they offered him the Moon Knight gig?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gameko posted:

[I hope John Boyega gets into some sort of public scandal. You know, the kind that scuppers his career prospects. Like Armie Hammer eating deer hearts. I dunno. Come up with it yourself.]

[Then he should play the Doctor.]

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Boyega just wanders onto the TARDIS set and starts fiddling with things

And then the whole set dematerializes :stare:

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

I was hoping more tax fraud for Boyega. That's the one that seems to get nice folks in trouble. Of course, that rarely happens in countries with sensible tax policies...

Y'all seem pretty opposed to my Disney+ dreams for the Who. I hope my fears of the Disney singularity (where all professional actors are obligated to work for them) are unfounded. Even so I'm a lurker who never posts and don't want to raise a fuss. Can I ask a more serious and on-topic question?

I gave up on the modern Who after Deep Breath. I was really excited when I heard Jodie Whittaker was coming on board, because I really love her work and I thought (like most people) swapping her in as the Doctor could revitalize the series. Most of what I've read about her run has been negative. If I were going to cherry pick some Whitaker run episodes, which would you recommend?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be honest, Doctor Who under Chibnall looks decent enough to me that I'd really only want for it to have more episodes and better scripts.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Boyega just wanders onto the TARDIS set and starts fiddling with things

And then the whole set dematerializes :stare:

Start of a whole new arc and direction.

Boyega plays the Doctor, who after a recent traumatic regeneration finds gaps in his memory. After dematerializing the TARDIS he's stuck on a BBC set, and people seem to know him as John Boyega. The series will start off as a relatively benign fish-out-of-water storyline with the doctor living in modern day UK...trying to maintain his cover while piecing together his memories and confronting ominous, behind-the-scenes threats that seem to be converging on this time and place. (Namely, the entertainment industry during a pandemic in the year 2021.) He makes a few allies and a few proven enemies, who may just be misguided humans or may be something more sinister...

This series must include scenes of Boyega playing the Doctor playing Boyega. And as the series begins to build towards its finale it will be revealed that the ultimate evil is the Dalek Insurgence Strategy for a New Empire Yanked from the Place Left Unnoticed by the Sodality.

(Ok seriously I think a change in direction like that could really work and may be appealing to tighter budgets and weird production schedules during COVID. And no I'm not serious about the Dalek insurgency. I *am* serious about Boyega playing the Doctor playing Boyega.)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Gameko posted:

If I were going to cherry pick some Whitaker run episodes, which would you recommend?

Demons of the Punjab

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Love it. :allears:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Oh hey, my Secret Santa present arrived!

Thank you so much, Bicyclops! I absolutely love the DWM comic strip, and there's a lot of really cool-looking stuff in this collection I've never read before. After I'm done devouring that, I'm looking forward to reading these newer Titan comics too, since it's been a few years since I read them last. And how could anyone ever not love the 8-bit Mario Amiibo. :allears: (I might have to get a matching Link one to keep him company now, though.) My year's off to a brilliant start, thanks again! :tipshat:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Gameko posted:

(Ok seriously I think a change in direction like that could really work and may be appealing to tighter budgets and weird production schedules during COVID. And no I'm not serious about the Dalek insurgency. I *am* serious about Boyega playing the Doctor playing Boyega.)

I'm not sure you're getting Doctor Who? It's meant to be a bit cheesy, but with a strong focus on storytelling and imagination, a balance of fun and darker moments, and the Doctor being the character holding it all together. Ultra shiny prestige Doctor Who sounds like an awful idea.

Whenever the issue of what BAME actor you'd like to see play the Doctor*, I'd always said David Harewood. Proper character actor with range, but not a big enough name that it'd overshadow the show itself.

I've just realized that I've never watched a 7/Mel serial. I think I've got a copy of Red on CD, but I've never seen them onscreen together.

*we're ignoring Ruth for this post

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OldMemes posted:

I've just realized that I've never watched a 7/Mel serial. I think I've got a copy of Red on CD, but I've never seen them onscreen together.

Time and the Rani is often considered a classic

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

On a more serious note, Paradise Towers is probably the best of a bad bunch.

Tonight's random Who was Death to the Daleks, which is a really great story suffering under poor storytelling and pacing. It's all infodumped rather than anything organic meaning that while there are a load of ideas being thrown at the viewer, they all happen in such close quarters to each other that the rest of the story feels a bit empty.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gameko posted:

Is this some passive-aggressive swat at Boyega for speaking out about his character being marginalized and swept aside? Because he’s completely within his rights to criticize that and you sound like an rear end for baselessly implying he’s just holding out for money.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gameko posted:

I gave up on the modern Who after Deep Breath. I was really excited when I heard Jodie Whittaker was coming on board, because I really love her work and I thought (like most people) swapping her in as the Doctor could revitalize the series. Most of what I've read about her run has been negative. If I were going to cherry pick some Whitaker run episodes, which would you recommend?

You want to just hit the minimum highlights while not really knowing what's going on? Watch Demons of the Punjab, It Takes You Away, Spyfall parts 1 & 2, Fugitive of the Judoon, and The Haunting of Villa Diodati.

I'd suggest watching The Woman Who Fell to Earth, Rosa, The Tsuranga Conundrum, Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror, and Can You Hear Me as well. You probably won't like everything in all of those, but you will probably like some things in some of those.

But really, you ought to watch Capaldi's last season starting from The Pilot. There's at least one "shout at the screen" bad episode in that run, but on the whole it may be one of the strongest seasons of the show.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Time and the Rani is often considered a classic

A classic what? (Actually, I rather like Time and the Rani. I don't think it's good, but it's bad in enjoyable ways.)

The main reason not to pick Time and the Rani is that the script was originally written for 6/Mel and you can tell that from time to time. Really, any 7/Mel episode after that is going to be watchable. I'd choose Paradise Towers, but Delta and the Bannermen and Dragonfire are both watchable.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

OldMemes posted:

Whenever the issue of what BAME actor you'd like to see play the Doctor*, I'd always said David Harewood. Proper character actor with range, but not a big enough name that it'd overshadow the show itself.

I've still got my fingers crossed for Paterson Joseph. Funny, good at playing eccentric people. Everything you need for Doctor Who.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It Takes You Away isn't just a great episode of the Chibnall/Whittaker era, it's a great episode of Who, period. I really wish it was the norm more than the exception.

The Woman Who Fell to Earth is a fantastic intro to the show, but it struggles to live up to that for the most part afterwards. Please Chibnall, at the very least do less of the writing yourself (and hire back Jamie Mathieson) :(

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

cargohills posted:

I've still got my fingers crossed for Paterson Joseph. Funny, good at playing eccentric people. Everything you need for Doctor Who.

I was going to say him too, but I couldn't remember how to spell his name. I never understood people who want a 'big name' to play The Doctor - it should be character actors, or lesser knows who have a history of turning in solid performances without being household names.
Apparently Colin Baker got the part without an audition, which sounds like the most Colin Baker thing, frankly.

That said, some of the actors considered for different incarnations were wild choices. I'm curious who was shortlisted against Whittaker - she's said there were others, but she doesn't know who.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Paterson Joseph was already asked once and turned them down. :smith: On the plus side we got Matt Smith out of it.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tonight's random Who was Death to the Daleks, which is a really great story suffering under poor storytelling and pacing. It's all infodumped rather than anything organic meaning that while there are a load of ideas being thrown at the viewer, they all happen in such close quarters to each other that the rest of the story feels a bit empty.

The crash-zoom onto a chequered floor is easily my favourite Classic Who cliffhanger.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

Paterson Joseph was already asked once and turned them down. :smith: On the plus side we got Matt Smith out of it.

I thought it was Chiwetel Ejiofor who turned them down and Smith got through as second choice. According to this article I just found, Joseph discovered he was considered and was "overjoyed": https://www.blogtorwho.com/paterson-joseph-discusses-audition-for/

OldMemes posted:

I was going to say him too, but I couldn't remember how to spell his name. I never understood people who want a 'big name' to play The Doctor - it should be character actors, or lesser knows who have a history of turning in solid performances without being household names.

Agree completely with this. I feel like none of the Doctors, apart from John Hurt and maybe Christopher Eccleston, would have been cast if they'd routinely gone for celebs over unknowns.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If we are wishcasting new Doctors, the top of the list for me is Himesh Patel or Ben Whishaw

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

aww, this was nice

Carrot juice, lmao

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Didn't Ace end up a philanthropist too? I guess that''s the ending they're going for with all of seven's companions.

Lore quest: So reading from the wiki, Big Finish took the "Ace goes to Gallifrey and trains in becoming a Time Lord" idea that would have ended the character's run on TV. But then she gets her memory erased and sent back to Earth at the start of the Time War, but then says that in stories set later she remembers being mind wiped. So did the Time Lords wipe her memory of the specifics she learnt in Time Lord training, like the science secrets and she can remember being there generally? Also, did Big Finish or anyone ever do the story where Ace goes to Gallifrey, or does it happen 'off screen'?

Also, if Ace was training to become a Time Lord, how would regeneration work? Was she going to be given a regeneration cycle after graduating, despite being human? I haven't listened to any of the Gallifrey audios, dunno if that comes up.

cargohills posted:

Agree completely with this. I feel like none of the Doctors, apart from John Hurt and maybe Christopher Eccleston, would have been cast if they'd routinely gone for celebs over unknowns.

I'd say John Hurt was an exception because of the special occasion. That reveal cliffhanger was wonderful, one of the genuine wait WHAT moments of TV.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldMemes posted:

I'd say John Hurt was an exception because of the special occasion. That reveal cliffhanger was wonderful, one of the genuine wait WHAT moments of TV.

Davison was also already beloved in Britain because of All Creatures Great and Small.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Timby posted:

Davison was also already beloved in Britain because of All Creatures Great and Small.

For that matter, Hartnell, Troughton, and Pertwee were also well-known names by the time they took the role. Hartnell for "The Army Game", Troughton for numerous character roles and being one of the first TV versions of Robin Hood, and Pertwee was a popular comedian thanks to "The Navy Lark". And Colin Baker was also pretty well-known for his stint on "The Brothers". As far as the classic series went, it was mainly Tom Baker and Sylvester McCoy who were relative unknowns when they took the role.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Harlock posted:

If we are wishcasting new Doctors, the top of the list for me is Himesh Patel or Ben Whishaw

Rahul Kohli.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Just watched this and it reminds me of how great it was that Big Finish gave Bonnie Langford (who looks fabulous in this, btw) a chance to redeem the character of Mel from how she was portrayed on the show. Also reminded me of when Mel left the Doctor, and how nice her departing scene was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYeAwGXs9jI

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
RTD's It's A Sin is so so so depressing. Very good so far (halfway through episode three), and very funny, but this is absolutely going to rip my heart out.

The subplot with the Welsh flatmate is going to some sad sad places, I can feel it in my bones.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Open Source Idiom posted:

RTD's It's A Sin is so so so depressing. Very good so far (halfway through episode three), and very funny, but this is absolutely going to rip my heart out.

The subplot with the Welsh flatmate is going to some sad sad places, I can feel it in my bones.

Everything after episode two is an emotional slog.

I do hope HBO put it forward for some awards, because it’s deserving of them.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I watched the first episode of Years And Years at the beginning of the pandemic. It was great but I could not be less in the mood for
a realistic breakdown/apocalypse-type of scenario being filtered through soap-esque tv.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jan/18/noel-clarke-interview-bulletproof-doctor-who

quote:

Clarke spent five years on Doctor Who with Billie Piper, and he remembers the show warmly – saying he’d be happy to pop back in again were he asked. But what about the main role? With rumours Jodie Whittaker may be leaving, would he consider being the first black Doctor? “Well, there’s a conversation to be had,” he says, laughing at providing me with some headline-worthy speculation. “There, I said it. ‘Noel Clarke set to return to Doctor Who.’” For someone who doesn’t like talking to the press, he certainly provides good copy.

lol why not

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finished It's A Sin. Thought I'd post about it here since I don't really know where else would be appropriate.

Devastating, particularly the format breaking last episode. Did a bit of reading, and was surprised to find out that Jill was based on a real woman (who really lived in a flatshare called The Pink Palace).

The Doctor Who sequence was not particularly important - the Les Mis sequences are bigger - but it's cute, and used to underline some themes about Thatcher. RTD always ends up writing about Nazis. I think they pop up in pretty much every thing he writes, eventually. Even Century Falls did Nazis.

Was surprised to see more of a shoutout to Torchwood, of all things, in Tracey Anne Oberman and Jonny Green's casting. I hope Green really takes off after this, he's barely done anything significant outside his BF plays.

I think it's interesting that the show, ultimately, stays within its own frame of reference. The characters operate with a contemporary understanding of HIV (e.g. the comment about saliva) and expects is audience to largely understand that science has moved on (as opposed to When We Rise, which did a lot of dutiful, even borderline abstemious, historical cateloguing and educating). This show just expects you to understand that the characters are operating in a limited context, or are being deliberately foolish. It's got that crueler, more ironic touch that didn't sit well with American viewers of Cucumber / Years and Years, IIRC, but it backloads a lot of (in particular) Richie's worse qualities to the third episode and further. Which probably made it more acceptable.

I also like how the series walks that really narrow line between the characters forgiving Richie for being an abominable piece of poo poo, and the series not doing that. It's not that it doesn't have an opinion, but I think - and this is part of the format breaking I already mentioned - the moment it's ready to reveal its hand, the series snatches perspective away to another character and their plot, and never comes back. It's very brave, weird, and uncomfortable, and largely saves each of the show's episodes from being a catalogue of death.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There’s the UK TV thread? Maybe spoiler some/most things there, as some people (including me) haven’t even started it yet?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

There’s the UK TV thread? Maybe spoiler some/most things there, as some people (including me) haven’t even started it yet?

Man, there's less that post than was in the trailers for the show. I thought I did a pretty good job expressing my feelings without giving away the plot. I guess your mileage may vary, but I'd like to think I did a good job.

And I'm not sure the UK TV thread would give a drat about the Torchwood / Big Finish stuff. I always feel like this thread barely tolerates it. Hence why I picked here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tracy Ann Oberman? Gross