Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

tfw an Apple show beats out anything on Netflix or HBO (and arguably deserved to)

What timing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

this was the show 2020 needed. It made all my grousing about quarantine seem bitter and helped me chill the gently caress out.

Yer Burnt posted:

Live action Ned Flanders won me over, but Keeley Jones was the one who really kept surprising me with her wonderfulness.

MrBuddyLee posted:

A show I can recommend to anyone of any age who needs a lift, or who needs a reminder that nice guys don't always finish last.

6. Ted Lasso (Apple TV+)
NEW ENTRY
72 Points, 9 Nominations, #1 spot 5 times

:toot:Highest Average Placement:toot:
:toot:Best New Show:toot:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I bounced off hard on Queens Gambit. I tried it and it just didn't click.

Oh well, glad to get one show in the top 10.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly thought it would be higher! Really good stuff. Everyone I’ve recommended it to has loved it

e: Lasso not Gambit

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That's such a cheesy poster for Lasso tho.

Edit: great show tho, obvs.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Something that points out that not only superhero culture, but also Disney corporate culture, is linked to the current far-right rise

Something Else posted:

Anthony Starr is one of the best TV actors of all time with this show. He will work for the rest of his natural life.

5. The Boys (Amazon)
UP 7
81 Points, 14 Nominations

:toot:Best not nominated at #1:toot:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Girls get it done!!!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's such a cheesy poster for Lasso tho.

Edit: great show tho, obvs.

Hey, it's surprisingly hard to find high resolution landscape images that have the show title in them. Did you notice my terrible MS PAINT job on the How to with John Wilson image?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I’m happy that Dispatches From Elsewhere made it into the top ten, and #11 isn’t bad for Agents of Shield either :)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ShakeZula posted:

Was as funny and heartwarming as I had come to expect from the show. Not to mention a final episode that was essentially perfect.

Inspector 34 posted:

Very sweet, very funny, I'm glad they got to tell the story they wanted to.

4. The Good Place (NBC)
UP 1
87 Points, 14 Nominations, #1 spot 3 times

:toot:Best On NBC:toot:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Honestly I was expecting my top show to be like #18 so Harley Quinn at #10 was cool.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
How The Good Place got so high considering all the end-of-an-era love we gave it last year I'll never know. Aired like 3 episodes AND improved it's finishing position.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

VinylonUnderground posted:

Continues to be just a blast. Funny as hell.

Jerusalem posted:

This beautiful show followed up on a fantastic first season with the benefit of knowing that the characters/setting had more than lived up to the excellent movie the series is based on.

Andrew_1985 posted:

The cast are fantastic and it’s constantly hilarious.

fancy stats posted:

For my money, the funniest show on TV. I really enjoy how every character gets to take a turn in the spotlight

3. What We Do in the Shadows (FX)
UP 6
127 Points, 21 Nominations, #1 spot 1 time

:toot:Best on FX:toot:
:toot:Best Comedy:toot:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

Hey, it's surprisingly hard to find high resolution landscape images that have the show title in them. Did you notice my terrible MS PAINT job on the How to with John Wilson image?

Oh man, that's not on you! I'm just surprised that comedy previews still haven't worked out how to do good advertising.

See: NBC promos, where everyone is staring goofily.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Listening to Eden Espinosa singing in TTS while waiting for #1. With my timing #2 will be revealed now.

E: dang worth a try.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh man, that's not on you! I'm just surprised that comedy previews still haven't worked out how to do good advertising.

See: NBC promos, where everyone is staring goofily.

See also: The fact I can't loving find landscape promo images.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The time has finally come. We're down to the final two. It's an established veteran and future all time great versus a relatively new plucky upstart backed by a multinational megacorp hell bent on taking over the world.

Coming in second place..... DRUMMMROOOOLLLLLLLLLLL PLEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAASSSEEE.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really have no idea what 2 could be but I’m excited

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

drat does it go down smooth. Every episode is a dope western with nods to some of the underappreciated classics of cinema.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Single dad trying to get his kid into a prestigious academy while his car keeps breaking down saves Star Wars. Wonderful, compact stories, an interesting over-arcing narrative

bowmore posted:

I love Star Wars and this is more Star Wars done incredibly well.

achillesforever6 posted:

The show makes me care about Star Wars which is no small feat

2. The Mandalorian (Disney+)
UP 1
156 Points, 23 Nominations, #1 spot 2 times

:toot:Best On Streaming:toot:
:toot:Most Listed Show:toot:
:toot:Best Genre Show:toot:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure because my #4 was actually worth 500 points.

What'd I say about my timing.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
THE KING IS BACK BABY!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

I said it last year, this show is better than Breaking Bad.

Rick posted:

One of the best ever. I love my time with this show.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Every once and a while I find a show and think wow, this might be the best show on TV. Then I watch this and remember instantly that no, sorry other prestige drama, you haven't taken the title away from the champ.

Escobarbarian posted:

gorgeous cinematography - still the best-looking show there is. Perfectly-paced and edited action sequences.

1. Better Call Saul (AMC)
RE-ENTRY
174 Points, 22 Nomination, #1 spot 7 times

:toot:Most Listings at #1:toot:
:toot:Best Drama:toot:
:toot:Best Show on TV!:toot:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh yeah Mando of course! it was good

congrats to the deserved 1! this is I think the first time my personal favourite show of the year has also won the TVIV poll. does this make me a god in human form? will lightning shoot from my fingertips now?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It makes you one of the sheeple just like the rest of the (TVIV) masses.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
RESERVED

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Meanwhile I'm just sitting here with my Emmy, waiting in the wings...

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I may have spent the past week rewatching the entirety of TTS with a friend.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
On the advice of this thread I am now watching Ted Lasso and I am sad I didn't watch it in time to put it on my list. Next up, Good Lord Bird and then The Queen's Gambit maybe? Thanks goons!
edit: thanks Looten Plunder too!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Better Call Saul @ the competition:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

That's a very strong Top 10, and not just because it's frequently similar to my own

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:siren:Announcement:siren:
Now. It wouldn't be 2020 without something going wrong.

In a call back to the 2017 Oscars, upon constructing the final post today, I realised one of the ballots got missed (i'd like to blame the user for not checking the linked post in the OP, but really, it's on me).

This didn't affect too much (nothing in the Top 10 was affected), but there is some changes to the Top 30 (another example of the power of The Vote people).

This resulted in:
-We Are Who We Are being bumped from the top 30 (I'll leave it there for prosperity)
-A new show entering the top 30
-A show in the top 30 being bumped up the list

I'll post a final list later, as well as provide a post for the new show (and updated artwork for the other show).
I'll also update the vote numbers of all entries.

I won't be updating the artwork or position numbers of all the affected shows, but the proper results will be reflected in the final results.

I know it would be easier and cleaner if I just ignored it and never told anyone, but I'm a stickler for accuracy.

Apologies to all.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Overall I am surprised that Upload didn’t place higher, I guess I was more impressed with it than most.

I don’t follow the Breaking Bad cinematic universe so I had no idea that Better Call Saul was such a big deal, just as with BB I can tell that it isn’t for me, but the more shows the merrier.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh thank God BCS won, it deserved it so much but it was so early in 2020 I worried it would suffer as a result.

Thanks for the work, Looten!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

In a call back to the 2017 Oscars, upon constructing the final post today, I realised one of the ballots got missed (i'd like to blame the user for not checking the linked post in the OP, but really, it's on me).

This resulted in:
-We Are Who We Are being bumped from the top 30 (I'll leave it there for prosperity)

bastardo!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

Overall I am surprised that Upload didn’t place higher, I guess I was more impressed with it than most.

It probably got hurt by airing earlier in the year.

But yeah, you might also be more impressed than most. Trying to find quotes for the show was always damning with faint praise along the lines of "I thought this was going to be terrible, but somehow it just worked"

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Be thankful it got a spotlight it didn't deserve! :)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'll post the full, updated list, some stat tidbits and the corrections in a couple of hours.

I really need to actually do some work today, feed myself and get the kids to bed.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Hell loving yeah!
:bravo:

I missed so much good TV this year...I think I only had 2 or 3 shows matching the Goonlective's Top 10! :monocle:

Looten Plunder posted:

I'll post the full, updated list, some stat tidbits and the corrections in a couple of hours.

I really need to actually do some work today, feed myself and get the kids to bed.

Thanks for the hard work! My favorite read every year. :worship:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's also so great to see What We Do In The Shadows ranking so high, it's such a good show, so much better than it has any right to be, and I love that such a talented cast gets to be in such a strong show that audiences love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Good job BCS