Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spacebump posted:

I feel like the most interesting Cap related story from the last 20 years might be Truth: Red, White, and Black.

Man, I loved that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Deleted now?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

it was a thread saying what all the marvel superheroes would have done during the capitol raid

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Thanks for the info everyone.

ImpAtom posted:

Civil War, where he objected to the Superhero Registration Act and lead a rebellion against it. It ended up with him being beaten up by police and firefighters and then being assassinated on the steps of a courthouse after a lovely reporter yelled at him for not having a MySpace.

:hmmyes:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

KVeezy3 posted:

Thanks for the info everyone.

:hmmyes:

According to this criteria apparently I was never an American.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 20, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Somewhat unrelated, by why do so many people pick Twitter as their medium of choice to post 500+ word posts? Can't you link to a blog/webpage with the info? Clicking through a tweet and 14 replies is obnoxious.

Because most people will see a link that takes them off of Twitter and decide it's not worth it, I suppose.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Piell posted:

At least this was prescient in how crap journalists are.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Piell posted:

Amazing - they even depicted our hero acknowledging that he 'got owned'.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Vandar posted:

Because most people will see a link that takes them off of Twitter and decide it's not worth it, I suppose.
Someone told me that it also has to do with "engagement metrics". A single individual clicking each tweet in a 14 tweet twitter thread is counted as 14 clicks. It the same reason why newspapers and magazines give print subscribers free online access. They double count them to boost subscriber count.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Now that streaming is the future I think Marvel should adapt a 50 episode, 2:30 hours each, series of Jonathan Hickman’s FF -> Avengers -> Secret War run

That would be the most awesome thing they could possibly do.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Gatts posted:

Now that streaming is the future I think Marvel should adapt a 50 episode, 2:30 hours each, series of Jonathan Hickman’s FF -> Avengers -> Secret War run

At long as we get a Secret Wars: Siege episode I'm down with that.

Honestly an animated series of the FF -> Avengers -> Secret War run would keep me subscribed to D+ for a long time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Some of his most defining stories in the past few decades were probably:

Civil War, where he objected to the Superhero Registration Act and lead a rebellion against it. It ended up with him being beaten up by police and firefighters and then being assassinated on the steps of a courthouse after a lovely reporter yelled at him for not having a MySpace.

The Winter Soldier story which is similar-but-different to what you see in the movies and ended with Bucky taking over for Cap after the aforementioned 'shot on the courthouse steps' thing.

Ultimate Cap who was a right-wing shithead who screamed about "This A on my helmet doesn't stand for FRANCE"

The time he got turned into a Nazi via magic world-retconning.

.. he really hasn't a great decade TBH. He is often good as a supporting character but most of his recent solo stuff has been kinda there. (And a good chunk of that time was spent with Bucky or Sam as Captain America instead.)

Don't forget that time Cap turned in his shield because Nixon turned out to be a supervillain

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Piell posted:

Every single one of these examples is just mindlessly consuming entertainment media. "You're not dumb enough to be one of us, Cap."

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It got deleted because of "toxic response", i efolks dunked him into the stone age, but if you really want to see it here you go

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1351697103786041344?s=19

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My favorite part of that thread is it’s apparently cool and good to imagine protestors getting literally impaled, but when it comes to the fascist source of the riots the worst they’re willing to wish on him is “haha we shot the phone out of your hand”

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ah, political humor. The best humor. It's even better than sarcasm.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Ah, political humor. The best humor. It's even better than sarcasm.

one of the worst officially released stories ever was the first IDW Godzilla comic

Boy was that trying to do something

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

My favorite part of that thread is it’s apparently cool and good to imagine protestors getting literally impaled, but when it comes to the fascist source of the riots the worst they’re willing to wish on him is “haha we shot the phone out of your hand”

Tbf that protester was Ted Cruz and I can't blame anyone for having that fantasy

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McCloud posted:

Tbf that protester was Ted Cruz and I can't blame anyone for having that fantasy

Isn't a sentient swarm of insects already an avengers villain

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
THREAD: How the Avengers would work to stop the Zodiac Killer (1/12)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Pirate Jet posted:

THREAD: How the Avengers would work to stop the Zodiac Killer (1/12)

I mean, we know how Iron Man, The Hulk, and Mysterio would do it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Klungar posted:

I mean, we know how Iron Man, The Hulk, and Mysterio would do it.

They'd fail totally and ruin their lives?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Every single one of these examples is just mindlessly consuming entertainment media. "You're not dumb enough to be one of us, Cap."

Obviously America was waiting for a hero who was super into reality TV and social media. But who???

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

McCloud posted:

It got deleted because of "toxic response", i efolks dunked him into the stone age, but if you really want to see it here you go

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1351697103786041344?s=19

these are awful awful posts to read. he's going to get a credit on avengers 5, isn't he?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Blood Boils posted:

They'd fail totally and ruin their lives?

Sounds about right.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

well why not posted:

these are awful awful posts to read. he's going to get a credit on avengers 5, isn't he?

It works as a real mean parody of how Avengers era Joss Whedon would write it, if it’s serious then yeeeeesssshhhh

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I assumed it was a parody, but having deleted it, and also being a writer for Jimmy Fallons show, I kinda doubt it

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

The part where the Squad and every female hero in the Marvel movies assemble to stop this one guy from taking Pelosi's mail is my favorite.

Burkion posted:

one of the worst officially released stories ever was the first IDW Godzilla comic

Boy was that trying to do something

What was it trying to do?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dammerung posted:

What was it trying to do?

Let the reader know that the writer really, really loving hates reality TV, Lady Gaga, pop culture in general, humanity, empathy, good taste, and has zero idea what satire is nor what it means but has heard of it, possibly while drunk.

It is a mean spirited piece of dreck that isn't even good at being kaiju action. Pure masturbatory wish fulfillment bullshit about being a HARD MAN making HARD CHOICES gently caress off you ugly tripe. To quote the wiki

It begins the main storyline of the comics and attempts to create an apocalyptic scenario where the rise of giant monsters threatens to cause the collapse of human civilization. It also attempts to provide social commentary on modern society through its storyline.

You'd think the latter would be intrinsic with the former of those two ideas, but no, trust me. Someone really loving wants you to know how much they hate children and pop stars.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gatts posted:

A good thing that a lot of comics companies could do right now is to adapt motion comics for their best arcs. Before I watched the Watchmen HBO series, I had planned to re-read the graphic novel until I realized there were motion comics of the whole series. They were done really well, and I think it was all voiced by one guy, but with a budget and a full cast it'd be really interesting to see Disney do something similar with Marvel media.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Piell posted:

Yeah, on it's own I'd think it was a criticism of the modern US rather than Cap.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Piell posted:

The especially weird part of this is that Cap is a pretty avid baseball fan in a few iterations. Why wouldn't he know who won the world series? That's the sort of knowledge that you can get just by osmosis.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

The especially weird part of this is that Cap is a pretty avid baseball fan in a few iterations. Why wouldn't he know who won the world series? That's the sort of knowledge that you can get just by osmosis.

Yeah, I don't care one bit about the national sport of my home country, but even I couldn't escape knowing who won championships each year even if I tried.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

On the one hand I kind of get/agree with the panel. Cap holds up an abstract ideal of America but has little to no concept of or connection to the actual human people that are Americans. And one reason we know that is that he helped trash a city where they live and work. such that some of them can't do those things any more (because they're dead or out of a job because their workplace got blown to hell.)

On the other hand, dear Jesus those were some mindless pap examples. I will say that I have logged on to Myspace (though probably not for the last five to seven years at least) because I could put a music playlist there and Facebook was (still is) a finicky Orwellian nightmare. I can't recall the last World Series winner right now. I never watched so much as a single episode of American Idol. NASCAR iseems like its either for idiots or sociopaths. It's guys driving in a circle for three hours. Either that somehow entertains you or you're hoping to see somebody crash. I have gone to You-Tube but mostly to embed video when commenting on a thread topic somewhere. While on there I do sometimes check out other videos, some of them silly.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 22, 2021

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Everyone posted:

On the one hand I kind of get/agree with the panel. Cap holds up an abstract ideal of America but has little to no concept of or connection to the actual human people that are Americans. And one reason we know that is that he helped trash a city where they live and work. such that some of them can't do those things any more (because they're dead or out of a job because their workplace got blown to hell.)

On the other hand, dear Jesus those were some mindless pap examples. I will say that I have logged on to Myspace (though probably not for the last five to seven years at least) because I could put a music playlist there and Facebook was (still is) a finicky Orwellian nightmare. I can't recall the last World Series winner right now. I never watched so much as a single episode of American Idol. NASCAR iseems like its either for idiots or sociopaths. It's guys driving in a circle for three hours. Either that somehow entertains you or you're hoping to see somebody crash. I have gone to You-Tube but mostly to embed video when commenting on a thread topic somewhere. While on there I do sometimes check out other videos, some of them silly.

Motorsports are interesting but you kind of need to understand that the driving is a relatively small part of it, they're really engineering competitions with a dash of strategy and execution thrown in.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cap is canonically a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, just like uh...Bernie Sanders.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
When Marvel starts getting crazy with the multiverse, they should make one of the universes include all the 00s Marvel based live action movies from Blade(even though this was late 90s) to Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My only real problem with Blade is that they date the flashback to 1968. Without that, it would be extremely hard to place exactly when it was filmed as it's pretty much in a gormless pastiche of 1994 - 2007 or so. Could even be today if you ignore the cars.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The movie is so 90’s it’s not even a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Blade doesn't feel like a 90s movie to me.