Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

My mom told me all the time that she never wanted to be like her mom, but when i pointed out she was treating me the same way her mom did her, she said "well i like the way i turned out, so...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

To me, it feels kinda like a pendulum - if someone is raised pretty well and pretty happily - they'll probably want to do something fairly similar with their own kids, so no major swing in parenting/family behaviour happens.

If their upbringing was hosed up in various ways, and they are strongly aware of that, they'll probably swing as hard as they can in another direction to avoid making those same mistakes, and if they have no good outside help or guidance, who the gently caress knows what direction they'll swing in, or how far they 'll go :( Or they might just swing a little way back towards normal ("I only hit with a hand, no belt!") and because it's somewhat less terrible, it seems much better to them, instead of still terrible.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
We seem to have ourselves a future estranged parent poster...

AITA for agreeing with my partner’s decision to make my daughter leave when she’s 18?

quote:

I (36F) have a 17 year old daughter.

3 years ago, my daughter and I moved in with my boyfriend of 9 years.

The house is technically in both of our names but I have not worked for the last 9 years so he’s the reason we still live there.

He has not gotten along with my daughter since we moved in and he at one point earlier on said he was very wary about being married and becoming a stepfather since he is already a father of three kids, 2 of whom (15F, 13F) still live in the house.

He and my daughter fight a lot and his 15 year old in particular takes her dad’s side in all their fights.

During their latest argument my boyfriend said he finally has had enough. He called me in and told me that he hates drama. He said that his kids’ welfare comes first so if my daughter’s attitude was contributing to their, especially his 15 year old’s apparent unhappiness, something has to give.

He said he’s always had a “ no assholes policy” in his business but that extends to his family.

He said when my daughter turns 18, we could give her leeway to find a new place, but ultimately this is his house, not hers. He said that he’s saying right here right now that he does not want her in this house after she’s an adult.

But he said my name is on the house too so he asked if I agreed or not. I honestly didn’t know what else I could say because it was his house first and in many ways it was his house more than it was mine.

So I told my daughter that I’d help her find a job if need be and a place but I really couldn’t do anything about it if my partner had made up his mind. He interjected and said he definitely had and having an extra adult mouth to feed wasn’t cheap.

My daughter said I was a sell out and that then I should get a job to help her with getting an apartment even though I spend all my tome trying to run the house smoothly.

AITA? It seems sudden but I think we can reasonably say that it was a long time coming.
Note how vague she is about the substance of the fights between her daughter and her boyfriend. :thunk:

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Sisal Two-Step posted:

We seem to have ourselves a future estranged parent poster...

AITA for agreeing with my partner’s decision to make my daughter leave when she’s 18?

Note how vague she is about the substance of the fights between her daughter and her boyfriend. :thunk:

:catstare: Both parents seem completely immature, and if the mom is even a relatively reliable narrator she still paints her boyfriend in a horrible light. He seems very controlling and the mom seems to enable it! Especially wrt, like you said, the fact that she is super vague about what her daughter is upset about (and seems to have never sat down to have a one-on-one w/her daughter about these issues, or if she has, that seems to be of little importance to her)

Also lol at "no assholes" policy. If he really followed his code he'd walk out the door himself

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Classic Comrade posted:

Also lol at "no assholes" policy. If he really followed his code he'd walk out the door himself

It's "no assholes", not "no rear end in a top hat". He's allowing one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwHGE7uhjco

Ugh, I feel dirty after writing that.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My mom's ex threw my sister out when she came out as a lesbian, even though it was my mom's house, his name wasn't on anything. She just let him. When called out later she said she didn't really want to let him, but she didn't want to lose him. They'd only been dating a couple years :fuckoff:

So the golden child got kicked out and ended up on the street because she was gay, and then me the scapegoat wasn't allowed to leave the house at all because I was too stupid to think for myself and I needed to be protected from danger.

LMAO pieces of loving poo poo.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
There's this kid that lives next door to me. His parents have him living in a travel trailer where our property lines meet. This kid lives in the poo poo. Dirty, cold and constantly getting yelled at by his parents. Constantly. He just turned 11. He invited me and my son over. To the trailer. I couldn't do it. I can't let my kid see that kind of dysfunction. Not yet at least. I got the kid a little $10 lego set for his birthday and he acted like it was loving treasure. I'm feeling really conflicted about what to do. Maybe it's just that I'm kind of in an emotional state right now but this is troubling me a lot recently. I'm having a really hard time knowing a kid is living like that. Like, here. Next to me. I talk to him and he's sweet. He just offered to fry us a tortilla as he was going inside to cook for himself.

Blah.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
It's troubling to you because it's troubling. :(

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
I've read that kids with poo poo families who have examples of what normal humans look and act like end up doing much better across the board. You probably helped that boy out just by being kind.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That is probably all you can do short of calling child protective services. Keep demonstrating to the kid that kind and empathetic people who care about him exist in the world.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Wouldn't calling cps be the right thing to do here?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Literally A Person posted:

There's this kid that lives next door to me. His parents have him living in a travel trailer where our property lines meet. This kid lives in the poo poo. Dirty, cold and constantly getting yelled at by his parents. Constantly. He just turned 11. He invited me and my son over. To the trailer. I couldn't do it. I can't let my kid see that kind of dysfunction. Not yet at least. I got the kid a little $10 lego set for his birthday and he acted like it was loving treasure. I'm feeling really conflicted about what to do. Maybe it's just that I'm kind of in an emotional state right now but this is troubling me a lot recently. I'm having a really hard time knowing a kid is living like that. Like, here. Next to me. I talk to him and he's sweet. He just offered to fry us a tortilla as he was going inside to cook for himself.

Blah.

You take a few photos if you can get away with it and you contact CPS.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Fatkraken posted:

Wouldn't calling cps be the right thing to do here?

That's where I'm torn.

Dienes posted:

You take a few photos if you can get away with it and you contact CPS.

This seems right, right?

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

Blah.

Hi this is horrifying, i would call CPS if this was my neighbors kid

Edit: just to be clear your neighbors will go ballistic, I would do it anyway though

CPS does everything they can to keep kids with their parents or other family, short of your neighbors cooking meth they probably won't take away the kid, but there's a chance the kid will get a better life if he ends up with grandparents who care, or maybe it will be a wake-up call for the parents (doubtful)

cinnamon rollout fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 21, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

cinnamon rollout posted:

Hi this is horrifying, i would call CPS if this was my neighbors kid

Edit: just to be clear your neighbors will go ballistic, I would do it anyway though

CPS does everything they can to keep kids with their parents or other family, sorry of your neighbors cooking meth they probably won't take away the kid, but there's a chance the kid will get a better life if he ends up with grandparents who care, or maybe it will be a wake-up call for the parents (doubtful)

Yeah, we (the fam) just talked and it looks like I'm gonna place a call tomorrow. I just can't deal with not doing anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ElHuevoGrande posted:

I've read that kids with poo poo families who have examples of what normal humans look and act like end up doing much better across the board. You probably helped that boy out just by being kind.

Yeah, a lot of abused and neglected kids are isolated on top of everything else and grow up with no one to model healthy human relationships on. Even seemingly 'normal' looking kids get hosed up when disinterested or busy parents spend all day working and sitting in front of the TV and leave them to be raised by the internet, and then you get incel and alt-right feral children.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah, we (the fam) just talked and it looks like I'm gonna place a call tomorrow. I just can't deal with not doing anything.
Edit: I think I wrote this as a dream... Or in the wrong thread..l

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 21, 2021

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Thank you, I too would 100% call CPS. You’re doing the right thing.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

ElHuevoGrande posted:

This is very true, I'm glad that kid has you as a neighbor, Literally A Person! I think you're doing the right thing, thank you for caring about him.

I did something extremely stupid, I'm short on cash due to the ongoing pandemic and my mom offered to hire me for [my job]. I told her I bill hourly and somehow within the phone call she'd talked me into doing 3x the work for one billable hour (mostly yelling that she refuses to pay for more than one hour, but I have to do everything she says even if it takes longer). There's no way in hell I'm ever going to introduce her to my coworkers/team so I'm just doing this whole thing myself. Normally there's a formal process to invoice people but I've gone through extreme lengths to make sure my mom doesn't have the emails of anyone I work with, and she just keeps yelling she doesn't want me to pay taxes on whatever she pays me because "she already paid taxes on it". I am a dumb dumb and as soon as I got home Future Mrs Dan suggested she take up an extra shift instead of me doing... this. (She is a saint and absolutely doesn't have to, but I very much appreciate the thought). I just can't believe I got sucked into this dumb vortex. I'm still wondering if I should take the contract because like.... I need to eat food and buy medication and I went through this poo poo as a kid TO GET food & meds so why is this any different as an adult? Except getting underpaid and cutting into my work hours of course. This story sounds pretty dumb if you don't consider I have a terrifying hellmom who tried to take my passport away and trap me in a foreign country when I tried to go back to college. I think I'm worried it's still dumb and I should suck it up, albeit like, actually billing her properly?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
is there any reason to believe she won't screw you over and will pay you at all?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Work for exactly one hour and then tell her to gently caress off.

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not going to lie: I'm really grateful that my mother is dead. Dying was the best thing she could've done, in fact. Realistically, I mean: she was never going to be anything but a danger to my physical and mental health. I don't know how you guys in contact with your still-living nightmare parents manage.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Distance and noncommittal answers to all questions, mainly.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Haulin Oates posted:

I'm not going to lie: I'm really grateful that my mother is dead. Dying was the best thing she could've done, in fact. Realistically, I mean: she was never going to be anything but a danger to my physical and mental health. I don't know how you guys in contact with your still-living nightmare parents manage.

I am glad you finally have peace, at least. It's hosed up that we can, do and have to feel this way. I'm sorry your mom was terrifying too.

Uh, I don't know why I'm actually in contact with my parents. Guilt, mostly. They don't know much about my actual life because I can talk a mile a minute and walk them all the way around it, because I'm their Entertainer.

My therapist said that my ability to bullshit is a coping skill. Not a great one, but one that helped me survive. I'm starting to believe it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Haulin Oates posted:

My dad keeps not dying and it's loving infuriating. He's 500 pounds, lives like oscar the grouch (bad disposition and surrounded by trash, not homeless) and he'll still be alive when the stars burn out.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
You got a good heart, LAP.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Sisal Two-Step posted:

You got a good heart, LAP.

Just easily swayed by kids since I had one. Thank god we don't have girl scouts here or I'd be buying metric tons of cookies.

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Distance and noncommittal answers to all questions, mainly.

God bless, you and everyone else dealing with their hurtful parents.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hello goons!!!

I’ll be crossposting this a bit so apologies if it’s like “ugh this bitch again”

Feels Good Man, a documentary on Matt Furie and him trying to take back his work, posted this which may be of interest or at least adjacent to this thread. It doesn’t necessarily have to be someone pilled, but those who are affected by it as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKUSEakFJ1Y/?igshid=nmuk6f440agc

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My dad keeps not dying and it's loving infuriating. He's 500 pounds, lives like oscar the grouch (bad disposition and surrounded by trash, not homeless) and he'll still be alive when the stars burn out.

Same, mine's done crack, meth, lived on the street numerous times, intentionally crashes his cars out of rage, been to jail twice, like, why the gently caress is he still around? And I think maybe he is starting to die, which is why his kid exposed my phony social media name to him and he managed to contact me a year ago.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

WrenP-Complete posted:

Edit: I think I wrote this as a dream... Or in the wrong thread..l
:catdrugs:

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Biplane posted:

Work for exactly one hour and then tell her to gently caress off.

I think this is exactly what I'm gonna do.

Haulin Oates posted:

I have to talk to my nightmare mom if I want to keep talking to my non-nightmare dad :( I just don't want to lose two parents when one of them is pretty good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1352417284610953216

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

"I thought it was okay, then I got caught."

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

quote:

AITA for telling my mom we haven’t had a good relationship in a long time and I wanted to go live with my dad?
I (16F) used to have a good relationship with my mother. That has since crashed and burned since she dated and married my stepdad “Gary” six years ago. Gary treats his son “Ian” (19M) like he’s the center of the universe and expects my mother to as well, so she does. Anything Ian wants, Ian gets and that usually comes at the expense of me. Ian wanted my room when they moved it? I was forced to go to another room to “make the transition easier for everyone.” Ian wanted a car for his 16th birthday? I didn’t get braces for another year. Ian wanted to go on an expensive trip for Spring Break? I had to give up Volleyball to make it happen. Ian wanted to have his side of the family over? I was expected to find somewhere else to be, since I wasn’t family. My mother just went along with all of this and acted like it shouldn’t affect me at all.

My dad was overseas for a long time, and we used to FaceTime and he was so upset by what he was hearing. He’s home now and he’s offering to have me come live with him. I’m not seeing a reason not to go, and so I told my mom I wanted to go live with my dad. She predictably freaked out and asked why I’d want to do that and said that we had such a good relationship, she didn’t understand how this came so out of the blue. I told her that we haven’t had a good relationship since she blindly decided to follow Gary’s lead and give Ian anything he wanted, and it always came at my expense. My mom tried to argue so I said, I also wanted to leave because she let them kick me out of my own house because ”I wasn’t family” so I was going to go live with someone who was. My mom started crying and said she wouldn’t let me go, so I told her that my dad was willing to go to court over it and I was old enough to be able to say where I wanted to be.

She’s been a crying mess since I told her, and Gary is being a jackass about how awful I’m being. Here’s where I might be the rear end in a top hat. He was bitching at me about how terribly I’m treating them and how I’m not thinking about them at all. I asked why should I, he never thought of me when he was taking things from me to give to his kid. I said let’s face facts here, you don’t care about me, what you care about is losing the child support you spend on your son. He sort of went slack jawed and I walked off. My dad said my mom called and threatened to take him to court, so he said he’d see her there. Now she’s panicking because she realized he is planning on taking her to court over this. Mom and Gary of course think I’m the rear end in a top hat for “making things hard” for everyone, but my dad and grandparents say to leave and never look back. AITA for wanting to get away from this situation?

I’m so glad dad is going to fight for her.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

ohnobugs posted:

"I thought it was okay, then I got caught."

So how many of those parents would watch the Arkangel ep of Black Mirror miss the whole point?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Zoesdare posted:

I’m so glad dad is going to fight for her.

She needs to get off Reddit and leave this fuckin minute

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Picnic Princess posted:

Agreed. I think the mom has become super submissive to the stepdad, letting him and the stepson walk all over her. It's also telling as soon as she found out the the daughter and the father are serious she started freaking out, not when her daughter talked to her, or when it was obvious that the daughter was expected to sacrifice everything to the stepson. I think the daughter hit the nail on the head when she said they were more concerned about the child support income than her.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Picnic Princess posted:

Absolutely, she's got a good window for escape, take your pets/homework and leave while it's still good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zoesdare posted:

I said let’s face facts here, you don’t care about me, what you care about is losing the child support you spend on your son. He sort of went slack jawed and I walked off.
God I love it when people find out they're not fooling anyone :allears: