Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Captain Lavender posted:

I think concrete dinosaurs were just a big thing in the Black Hills.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I like concrete dinosaurs.
I was looking through old pictures from a drive I made through South Dakota and found this:

which is apparently from here

How many concrete dinosaurs does South Dakota have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

That is me and I can't believe people remember this video.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Homocow posted:

I was looking through old pictures from a drive I made through South Dakota and found this:

which is apparently from here

How many concrete dinosaurs does South Dakota have?

Concrete dinosaurs, ah huh, so anyway tell me more about these drugs for walls I keep seeing mentioned...

:goshawk:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CPL593H posted:

It's a work of art. RIP Building 19.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

CPL593H posted:

I remember going to the one in New Bedford and it was an amazing mix of horrible dilapidation and weird beauty.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Emily Spinach posted:

One set of my sixth great grandparents was buried in their family cemetery. Unlike a lot of other family cemeteries, their bodies were never moved when the land was sold. Feels very American that my distant ancestors' bodies are now the property of wells fargo.

Are you sure this isn't the B plot from a cut episode of Better Call Saul?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

There was a UFO themed diner in my town in New Hampshire. I couldn't find any pictures, but they also had pamphlets from the local alien abductee support group.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

dr_rat posted:

Concrete dinosaurs, ah huh, so anyway tell me more about these drugs for walls I keep seeing mentioned...

:goshawk:

Gonna hash a little from Wikipedia and also my memories of actually going there in the summer of 2004. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Drug

Wall Drug is a drug store turned roadside attraction near the Badlands of South Dakota; its main claim to fame is that it advertised a free glass of ice water to all visitors, and got the word out by throwing billboards that advertise the fact hundreds of miles in every direction. When you get there it's a busy Americana exhibition - paintings, frontier-style buildings, statues like that dinosaur (also earlier in the thread someone posted a pic of a person riding a big concrete jackalope; that's in Wall Drug as well). Mainly it's just a place to stop, stretch your legs, and get something to eat in the middle of the vast emptiness that is South Dakota. A fun place to stop, but not a destination in itself.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Is there any reason to drive through south Dakota aside from driving coast to coast? I mean aside from west Wyoming and maybe west montana even the neighboring states look boring af.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Outrail posted:

Is there any reason to drive through south Dakota aside from driving coast to coast? I mean aside from west Wyoming and maybe west montana even the neighboring states look boring af.

There's the crazy horse monument, should be done in a few decades.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Outrail posted:

The Black Hills are gorgeous. Stolen land, but gorgeous.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CPL593H posted:

Wow really? That's awesome. I've never met a celebrity.

It's a very good vid thank you for making it.

We didn't have building 19 in the south. Hell I'm not sure we had anything quite like it, at least not a chain.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Deeters posted:

There was a UFO themed diner in my town in New Hampshire. I couldn't find any pictures, but they also had pamphlets from the local alien abductee support group.

Holy poo poo. Me and my husband just moved from here earlier in the year. Far Out Diner is amazing and has the best corn beef hash to exist on the planet.

E: oh gently caress they closed, that sucks. The folks that worked there/owned it were cool

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 21, 2021

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Deeters posted:

This place was so awesome and it was really sad when they closed :(

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Penguissimo posted:

This place was so awesome and it was really sad when they closed :(

When did they close?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Back in July. I was also sad because their food was great. It was fun taking people from out of town who didn't know what to expect.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Deeters posted:

Back in July. I was also sad because their food was great. It was fun taking people from out of town who didn't know what to expect.

That doesn't surprise me, unfortunately. The main building seemed like it was owned by a chud, the other owner seemed like a surprise too.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 21, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wow really? That's awesome. I've never met a celebrity.

It's a very good vid thank you for making it.

We didn't have building 19 in the south. Hell I'm not sure we had anything quite like it, at least not a chain.

Apparently a couple years after we made that video the company became aware of it and posted it on twitter, because they had a twitter account for some reason.

When I was about six or seven years old I was at Building 19 with my dad and a bureau that was missing a leg fell over and came within inches of landing on me and they tried to make him buy it.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CPL593H posted:

Apparently a couple years after we made that video the company became aware of it and posted it on twitter, because they had a twitter account for some reason.

When I was about six or seven years old I was at Building 19 with my dad and a bureau that was missing a leg fell over and came within inches of landing on me and they tried to make him buy it.

sorry for laughing at your near death experience

though I can see why you'd have it out for them after that

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Milo and POTUS posted:

sorry for laughing at your near death experience

though I can see why you'd have it out for them after that

Building 19 - Wikipedia posted:

Founder Jerry Ellis said that the business had been "on a downhill slope for 10 years", and attributed its failure to Internet competition, overseas manufacturing, and improved fire protection of warehouses. The latter two factors reduced the supply of salvage and surplus products to sell, while increased competition caused the number of their store customers to drop.

loving Lol

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

That’s actually pretty sad that the company went out, despite it being a loving nightmare of garbage. Ocean state job lot down in Connecticut is a lot like building 19 but less dirty and lovely. It’s still going ok, but who knows for how long.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

You can buy those, you know. "Boss Hoss" is the brand.

This was a monster truck sized one though. Just curious if we saw the same show, I imagine there aren’t too many traveling monster truck gangs in Europe.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Monster truck rallies are actually loving awesome. It's a 'motorsport' for children and their Dads but it's really quite the spectacle. If you ever have the chance to see one, take it.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Emily Spinach posted:

One set of my sixth great grandparents was buried in their family cemetery. Unlike a lot of other family cemeteries, their bodies were never moved when the land was sold. Feels very American that my distant ancestors' bodies are now the property of wells fargo.

That's insane! I've never seen anything like that. You're right that it is very American.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

CPL593H posted:

That video is hilarious! What is the music?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Outrail posted:

loving Lol

rotinaj posted:

That’s actually pretty sad that the company went out, despite it being a loving nightmare of garbage. Ocean state job lot down in Connecticut is a lot like building 19 but less dirty and lovely. It’s still going ok, but who knows for how long.

Job Lot is in Massachusetts too. It has none of the awful, awful charm of Building 19. They must be doing alright because they've opened up a couple locations in my area within the last year or two in addition to the one that's been around for 20+ years. As much as it's easy to rag on Building 19 (and deservedly so) you could actually find good poo poo there. They had nice area rugs in there for rock bottom prices and aside from the garbage they sometimes had decent furniture and mattresses. They also had thier own store brand version of Cheerios and to this day I regret not buying it so I could keep the box.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

That video is hilarious! What is the music?

It's some royalty free thing my friend found. I think the name is in the description.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

This was a monster truck sized one though. Just curious if we saw the same show, I imagine there aren’t too many traveling monster truck gangs in Europe.

Haha, I loving found my pics of it. Some BMWs involved so it was likely the same one.

Dude in the background of the first pic looks extremely eastern european btw.

This is what we get instead of Monster Jam. :(

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I went through my phone and found some pics of Tukkerday, which was an American culture experience in rural Netherlands. As an American, it certainly was an "experience". However it was nearly 6 years ago so I don't remember much.

Not pictured - a regular rear end yellow school bus that is a novelty here and a bunch of confederate flag and Native American themed bric-a-brac.

The wrestling was pretty good, they put a lot effort into it. Mostly it was just cars. There was a beer stand and a stage but the beer was just Groslch, which is funny cause that is a premium brand in the USA whereas here its just cheap swill and they try to sell Bud here like it's premium brand. I wish they'd hock MGD here, I'd pay a premium just for the memories because it's what my grandma always drank.

The burgers where loving awful BTW. The Dutch try to do burgers but they don't get what they are supposed to be like so a lot of times it's got filler in the patty like it's a frinkendel or something.

All in all it was a very boomery affair. I wanted to take my toddler to it this year cause of the cars but, ya know, covid.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I went through my phone and found some pics of Tukkerday, which was an American culture experience in rural Netherlands. As an American, it certainly was an "experience". However it was nearly 6 years ago so I don't remember much.

Not pictured - a regular rear end yellow school bus that is a novelty here and a bunch of confederate flag and Native American themed bric-a-brac.

The wrestling was pretty good, they put a lot effort into it. Mostly it was just cars. There was a beer stand and a stage but the beer was just Groslch, which is funny cause that is a premium brand in the USA whereas here its just cheap swill and they try to sell Bud here like it's premium brand. I wish they'd hock MGD here, I'd pay a premium just for the memories because it's what my grandma always drank.

The burgers where loving awful BTW. The Dutch try to do burgers but they don't get what they are supposed to be like so a lot of times it's got filler in the patty like it's a frinkendel or something.

All in all it was a very boomery affair. I wanted to take my toddler to it this year cause of the cars but, ya know, covid.

That's awesome! I would be so interested to go to an american fest in a foreign country.

Why did they call that car General Leemo? Is it from a show called the Dukes of Sadness? Did they have other american food besides the bad burgers? I assume the Dutch can do french fries.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

I guess they called it General Leemo cause it's a limo. And yeah they do fries but they are Belgian style, which is more akin to steak fries than McDonald's sort of fries.

I don't remember food other than the burger but there was probably the typical selection of fried Dutch snacks. They did sell some American candy like Nerds but those aren't too hard to find here anymore. What I really fiend for is ChexMix but I can't find that poo poo on this continent.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I guess they called it General Leemo cause it's a limo. And yeah they do fries but they are Belgian style, which is more akin to steak fries than McDonald's sort of fries.

I didn't even notice that car was so long! Thanks for answering my questions

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Waterbed Wendy posted:

I didn't even notice that car was so long! Thanks for answering my questions

In the past 5 years or so there's been this corporate push to sell American style BBQ grill culture in the Netherlands. It's cargo cultly in the sense that they don't know what it's supposed to taste like or look like so as a result it's all uniformly bland and unintereating. I'm not complaining that hard though cause i used to have to make my own BBQ sauce when I first moved here and now they sell like 10 types at my local supermarket.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Waterbed Wendy posted:

That's awesome! I would be so interested to go to an american fest in a foreign country.

Agreed. We have an infinite amount of other country festivals here. It'd be neat to see another country's interpretation of the US.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

And yeah they do fries but they are Belgian style, which is more akin to steak fries than McDonald's sort of fries.

I've noticed that Euros eat steak fries almost exclusively and they aren't very popular here. They are also the worst type of fry. I'd eat crinkle cut over steak fries. Most of the steak fries I have are soggy but dry at the same time. Always.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Agreed. We have an infinite amount of other country festivals here. It'd be neat to see another country's interpretation of the US.

I've noticed that Euros eat steak fries almost exclusively and they aren't very popular here. They are also the worst type of fry. I'd eat crinkle cut over steak fries. Most of the steak fries I have are soggy but dry at the same time. Always.

Steak fries are not the worst kind of fry when shoestring fries are out there, lurking, waiting

Steak fries suck when done poorly, yes, but I love a properly made steak fry. Crispy on the outside, fluffy inside, able to hold so much ketchup or other sauces... mmm.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've rarely run into a good steak fry. To be honest, I haven't been there in many years but I think Red Robin was able to put out a halfway decent one.

I haven't had a single good local steak fry. Local no matter where I was.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Speaking of Monster trucks, maybe this belongs in the OSHA thread as well....

A couple of my friends were at this show, in 1992.

‘Monster’ Truck Loses Control, Killing One and Injuring at Least Eight
https://apnews.com/article/6eb6d252dee2d33c30eb1150117cd29a

YOUNG BOY SAVED IN HEROIC EFFORT BY MAN KILLED BY MONSTER TRUCK
https://buffalonews.com/news/young-...d36431eb0d.html

Video. Probably don't watch it if you don't want to see a crash where someone dies. (You don't see the actual guy get smoked)
https://youtu.be/RoXVuFzN9FU?t=181

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

There's always the superior option, the croquette potatoes.

Basically deep fried small logs of mashed potatoes. They belgians do an _amazing_ job with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ralph Crammed In posted:

In the past 5 years or so there's been this corporate push to sell American style BBQ grill culture in the Netherlands. It's cargo cultly in the sense that they don't know what it's supposed to taste like or look like so as a result it's all uniformly bland and unintereating. I'm not complaining that hard though cause i used to have to make my own BBQ sauce when I first moved here and now they sell like 10 types at my local supermarket.

Not just the Netherlands, it's been ~fashionable~ in the UK for about as long. I took my wife (a Mississippian) to a super highly rated 'authentic' BBQ chain in London and, uh, yeah, she wasn't impressed (nor was I). Use seasonings, people!

These days I make my own.