Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I loving love the queen’s first song about how evil she isn’t. It’s amazing and hilarious and foreboding and also catchy as hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
My favorite part of that song is:

"Benny, do you like spaceships? Cause I think they are great"
"How'd you know that loving spaceships is my one defining trait?! :buddy:"

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I loving love the queen’s first song about how evil she isn’t. It’s amazing and hilarious and foreboding and also catchy as hell!

I love how the chorus of "Not evil, not evil no, I'm the least evil person I know" matches directly to the Halloween theme.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Lego movie 2 was really good, but really good in the exact same way lego movie and lego batman was.

Like being meta is extremely funny when it's unexpected. You get a real "I'm losing my mind here" when a joke has leonardo the ninja turtle show up when you have no reason to expect that. But once you've done that a few times it's not unexpected anymore. It can still be funny and well written, but it's not the same as when that stuff is coming out of no where.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Some tiny extra thoughts on Soul after seeing it at least another 30 times. My 18 month old is for some reason entranced with it.

I didn't notice it the first time, but when Joe is at the You Seminar and they're explaining the Spark, Jerry starts to say "and just what is the spark?" and then right then - as I presume he gives a slightly more detailed explanation that would have spared Joe the misunderstanding - Joe starts daydreaming about saving the day and getting back to earth. He snaps back just as Jerry finishes up. Lol.

Also when Terry tells the main Jerry that the count's off and she says "that hasn't happened for centuries."... is that a Jesus joke? Cracked me up.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

BonoMan posted:

Also when Terry tells the main Jerry that the count's off and she says "that hasn't happened for centuries."... is that a Jesus joke? Cracked me up.

Woah that's great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lego Movie 2 does seem interesting in that it basically deals with gender stereotypes from the POV of kids/teenagers, which is a fraught subject, but does have depth, especially with the theme that's presented as two different but related cultures suffering difficulties communicating, as some interesting aesthetics arise from the contrast- like the Sis-Star beings trying to look badass and scary because that's what they think the Apocalypseburg residents will respect and recognise. The kind of idea that may be familiar to a lot of people who try to play with a sibling or schoolmate who has very different ideas about what they want to do and where it should go.

The Lego Batman Movie is probably the most in-depth exploration of Batman's psyche as a character that we've seen in his movies- and ironically something that only really works specifically because it's in a very meta children's movie.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of Lord and Miller movies, "Connected" is getting its title reverted back to "The Mitchells vs the Machines" and being released straight to Netflix.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/netflix-lord-miller-movie-mitchells-vs-machines-sony-1234889393/

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hell yeah, but boo no date yet. Didn't know Lord & Miller were involved in Hoops. I didn't hear much about it, but what little I heard wasn't good.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ccs posted:

Speaking of Lord and Miller movies, "Connected" is getting its title reverted back to "The Mitchells vs the Machines" and being released straight to Netflix.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/netflix-lord-miller-movie-mitchells-vs-machines-sony-1234889393/

That's a much better name. I might remember this film, having completely forgotten about it until now.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m watching the secret of kells, it’s great so far

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
fulfilling my bit of only watching movies 10-40 years after they become a thing, i just watched despicable me for the first time (with my mum fwiw)

in 300 years people will be saying "well the american empire was hosed. but they at least did stuff like this" and it will be all children's cartoons. making stories for kids and adults to watch together is the one and only area in which end-stage capitalism can still produce good stuff, because it will always be profitable but it provides room occasionally for things that aren't straight out of the formulaic box. there's something in this about the fundamental forces that drive human nature, but i'm too drunk to make the connection.

perepelki fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 28, 2023

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
my reading of despicable me is that it's about a gay couple with a big age gap who adopt kids when one of them really wants kids but the other one is solely career-focused, and how they come to a compromise. i'm not watching any of the sequels that disqualify this reading. i won't

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Secret of Kells was really good

But the cat was named Pangur Bán and all i could think of was Wangernumb

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

perepelki posted:

my reading of despicable me is that it's about a gay couple with a big age gap who adopt kids when one of them really wants kids but the other one is solely career-focused, and how they come to a compromise. i'm not watching any of the sequels that disqualify this reading. i won't
I saw Despicable Me on a bus and was pretty charmed by it, notwithstanding the future abuse of the minions. But I liked the character interactions and that’s usually where recent animated films piss me off.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Despicable Me is a very cute movie. It's not amazing, and the minions are dogshit but the story of Gru becoming a dad to these three kids is very sweet.

The second movie leaning so hard into the THESE CHILDREN MUST HAVE A MOM TOO was less cute

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'll never understand how the Minion managed to get popular from Despicable Me. The movie isn't about them, they don't do a lot of insane hijinks. The silliest thing is probably the shopping trip, which ultimately serves to underscore the kids more then them. Yet somehow that translated to Minions spin off!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Darth TNT posted:

I'll never understand how the Minion managed to get popular from Despicable Me. The movie isn't about them, they don't do a lot of insane hijinks. The silliest thing is probably the shopping trip, which ultimately serves to underscore the kids more then them. Yet somehow that translated to Minions spin off!

I'm guessing you aren't familiar with kids and how their brains work?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The minions were the main point of merchandising from the movie, I figured, and it steamrolled from there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The minions were the main point of merchandising from the movie, I figured, and it steamrolled from there.

Yeah. They're small bright yellow funny gibberish spouting prat-falling but sometimes sentimental characters. I mean kids *eat that poo poo up.* It was an absolute no brainer.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Buy why have the minions become the goto expression of stay at home mothers emotions? I didn't realize kids even liked them. Granted, I only have a handful of nieces/nephews as a sample.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like it's the new Tweety Bird

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Data Graham posted:

I feel like it's the new Tweety Bird

lol, you're right. Same shape, size and color! But who's the new Taz?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

deong posted:

lol, you're right. Same shape, size and color! But who's the new Taz?

(but Gritty's cool, so it doesn't perfectly match up)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

perepelki posted:

Hello, yes, this is the best interpterion of the movie I've ever read. Thank you.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

BonoMan posted:

I'm guessing you aren't familiar with boomers and how their brains work?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, kids like Minions okay, but it's the wine moms on facebook that really consume it - it's as someone else said they're the New Tweety.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

perepelki posted:

I'm sorry, I really love this interpretation but i can't figure it out. Are you saying that the antagonist is Gru's partner here? The... one who is clearly much younger, much more privileged, unabashedly antagonistic towards Gru?
Who also pretty much sucks and Gru deserves better anyway?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Despicable Me is a very cute movie. It's not amazing, and the minions are dogshit but the story of Gru becoming a dad to these three kids is very sweet.

The second movie leaning so hard into the THESE CHILDREN MUST HAVE A MOM TOO was less cute

the greatest sin of the Despicable Movie franchise wasn't the Minions, it was cutting a lot of the girls out of the sequels except for that half-assed romance plot for the oldest one. and the mom thing I guess, but that feels like more of a part of Gru's arc.

they also deserved better. heteronormativy blows.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm sorry, I really love this interpretation but i can't figure it out. Are you saying that the antagonist is Gru's partner here?
It's Doctor Nefario you idiot, you swine, you bottomfeeder.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

oh.
yeah that makes a lot more sense. i'll see myself out.

e: I have no memory of what did Dr. Nefario think of the girls.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 22, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, kids like Minions okay, but it's the wine moms on facebook that really consume it - it's as someone else said they're the New Tweety.

That is so loving strange. I haven't seen that. Why the hell did that happen?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

paradoxGentleman posted:

e: I have no memory of what did Dr. Nefario think of the girls.
HE loving RETURNED THEM TO THE COOKIE ORPHANAGE YOU ABSOLUTE TWINK

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

you're lucky you don't have boomer relatives on facebook.

I suspect it's because Minions are peak generic "Cute but sassy" character

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm sorry, I really love this interpretation but i can't figure it out. Are you saying that the antagonist is Gru's partner here? The... one who is clearly much younger, much more privileged, unabashedly antagonistic towards Gru?
Who also pretty much sucks and Gru deserves better anyway?

Ever heard of the enemies to lovers trope? Smell ya later loser

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It's been literal years since I watched that movie! I only remember the parts that stuck out the most! Give me a break!
I'm not owned! I'm not owned!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Nobody itt wanting to talk about secret of kells and everybody talking about minions is a perfect reflection of the reaction secret of kells got at the time

I’m gonna watch the rest of Cartoon Saloon’s movies next

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Secret of Kells is gorgeous and that's all the passion I can really muster for that movie

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Secret of Kells is great, Song of the Sea might be the best animated movie ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I didn't know there was a Bob's Burgers movie coming...or rather there was.

Disney just infinitely delayed it from the original April 9, 2021 date.