Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just mix the island pepper company Ghost Pepper sauce and Crystal in a bowl and use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fizzymercy posted:

I had the same thing happen with a bottle of their scotch bonnet curry but I'm terrified of dying of amoebas or whatever and didn't try to eat much of it. I mean I did try some, but I was to worried to enjoy it.

Yeah I considered tossing it and maybe that was the best idea, but it’s pretty acidic and normal fermentation was the most likely culprit so I went for it. That was five days ago and I’m not dead yet. I’ll update the thread if I die though.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
hot sauce is a bunch of vinegar, capsaicin, and maybe salt, it's a profoundly hostile environment for most creepy crawlies. unless it has a bunch of sugar in it. better safe than sorry, i guess.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I had a second fermentation in bottles two autumns ago myself. I honestly should have known better than to add unfermented peppers to the mix, but I did it anyway. With the brine the hot sauce was 3.7pH anyway, so any fermentation was just a continuation, but it did blow one cap and threaten the other dozen or so. I just tossed them in the fridge and they’ve kept well since. I’m down to my last two bottles of the stuff, but the fruity heat is wonderful.

Point being, if it’s a fermented sauce and isn’t pasteurized, it’s going to start again if you add more stuff. Botulinum doesn’t survive under 4.5pH so unless it’s growing fuzz on the top, the fizz in the sauce is probably just a fizzy treat. Sure does make a mess though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I at least had the presence of mind to avoid my first reaction, which was to run across the kitchen with a bottle of sauce forcefully jizzing green goop everywhere.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I at least had the presence of mind to avoid my first reaction, which was to run across the kitchen with a bottle of sauce forcefully jizzing green goop everywhere.

I had a very red eruption all over the counter and cabinet to clean up myself. Context is important.

I don't know that you can ferment avocado without it having oxidation issues or using an inert gas sealed container with an already active fermentation. There's plenty of sugar in it to ferment too. I think I'll stick to just adding hot sauce to guacamole.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

fizzymercy posted:

Can someone recommend me a very hot but very flavorful Louisiana hot sauce that isn't from Tabasco? My roommate's favorite hot sauce is Mrs Renfro's ghost pepper salsa mixed with scorpion pepper Tabasco. He'd like to find something that hot that isn't terrible and I'm at a loss.

That new sauce Poirier is backing from Heartbeat is a loving banger of a Louisiana style sauce. It's a little hab forward to my taste but it is a drat good sauce on chicken.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Christmas presents from my wife. I've gotten quite a few of these hot sauce samplers over the years and they're typically not bad but each of the bottles in the big one have been extremely same-y.

But Cholula is good. Just popped open the chili garlic and it has a nice flavor but the but is so minimal that I've just about drunk 1/3 of the bottle with dinner tonight.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The bottle(s) of Matouk Calypso Sauce arrived today and it's a good sauce. Not too hot, and the flavor is good enough to just use it like a mustardy bbq sauce. Good recommendation, and it's a good thing I didn't accidentally order a 4-pack without noticing.

... yes, that is exactly what I did.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Today is the day I realized that my tolerance is a lot higher than I thought. I'm not saying I'm ready to try those insane million scoville unit sauces or anything but after basically just snacking on the chili garlic sauce last night I thought I'd look up the scoville units on it and I was surprised when I found out its probably twice as hot as Frank's Red Hot, and in the same ballpark as standard Valentina, which is what I've always used as my basic, everyday sauce and what feels like a default level of heat to me.

So this morning I tucked into my cabinet and began taking little dabs of different sauces. Sure enough, everything felt kind of mild. Even the black label Valentina wasn't really a big deal. My wife comes out of her office for a tea break and I tell her what I've been up to and she semi-exasperatedly tells me that she's been trying to tell me I make my chili too hot. Lately I've been trying to tone it down and I haven't put habs in it in ages because the last time I did she disliked it enough that I was on my own eating that batch. Had a bunch of a generic habanero sauce with a taco for lunch afterward and it's gone from what I'd considered to be medium hot to just medium. It's weird because I don't think anything in my cabinet even hits the 5-figure mark and there's stuff that gets mentioned here that I won't touch. I'm absolutely not trying to be a tough guy I just hadn't realized my tolerance had shifted this much and just how far apart we are on it now.

Been looking things up on here fwiw.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Welcome to the hot club.

There are plenty of people who just grab hot and super hot sauces and just enjoy them without much notice. It’s a unique experience, and one that I’m not sure most mild eaters understand. “Oh, doesn’t that just burn?” “I bet you’ll be feeling that tomorrow :wink:” “How do you have any taste buds left?!?”

I just smile and tell them I’ve reached a higher state of flavor ascension and would they like to learn more about hot things?

There’s a local place with a vinegar based ghost pepper sauce and I tried it and had to check the label twice. It’s just not hot. No one else in the house will touch it, but I have to not go past jalapeño/chipotle level when making chili too and it’s unfortunate.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve had two people I work with cripple themselves thinking my warnings about my sauces had to be overblown since I eat them without really seeming effected. One spent ten minutes pacing and saying “I made a mistake”.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
What would be a cool present/surprise for someone who likes Tapatio/Texas Pete/Yucateno/etc.? Something that is kinda in that wheelhouse but different?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

VinylonUnderground posted:

What would be a cool present/surprise for someone who likes Tapatio/Texas Pete/Yucateno/etc.? Something that is kinda in that wheelhouse but different?

Horseshoe has a cayenne pepper one that they’d probably dig.

E:I don’t think Horseshoe has come up in here, they make some good stuff. I only know about them because they make it right near where I used to live.

https://www.horseshoebrand.com

The ghost pepper one is excellent

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I just put blueberry ghost pepper Bravado sauce on some Blue Bell Pralines and cream and it is unfortunate how delicious this is. Holy poo poo you guys everyone go do this immediately.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Finally busted out the Angry Goat Hippy Dippy and that's a drat good bottled verde. Slow build and then surprisingly bright heat, sticks around on your lips. Made some tacos with local chorizo tonight and this was the hot sauce de jour.

Edit:

fizzymercy posted:

I just put blueberry ghost pepper Bravado sauce on some Blue Bell Pralines and cream and it is unfortunate how delicious this is. Holy poo poo you guys everyone go do this immediately.

I'm conflicted.

mischief fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 6, 2021

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Sister and sis-in-law got me the fiery Jelly Belly set and those things are not a joke. I figured it'd be like when Wendy's advertised "ghost pepper" fries and they were just weak bullshit borrowing the name but even the jalapeno bean was pretty noticeable.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Really? That does surprise me.

What did not surprise me was this Torchbearer Garlic Reaper sauce. I knew it would have enough heat, but drat that garlic is on point. I got the rest of the sauces ordered too, so it’s going to be plenty spicy for a while a Karma Burn After Eating came too.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Same thought going in, same thought after eating just a few.

They are loving incredible.

Jelly Belly beans are my candy of choice and I've always eaten them a few at a time. Not so with these guys. I ended up dumping them into another variety bag and finishing them up that way.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There's a local-ish hot sauce company called Fraktured that I don't think I've ever heard anyone else talk about, but I've been a huge fan of their Haunted Harvest ever since running across it in our CSA last year. It's pretty sweet and like, completely ideal for cold-weather stuff like chilis and soups, with really forward squash and cider flavors. Anyway, I just got a bottle of another one of their sauces since I don't see them out in the wild that much, Hot Shiitake, which is shiitake mushrooms and carolina reaper. It kind of creeps up on you but caps out at "pleasantly hot" and is really nicely fruity and earthy. I'm curious if anybody else has tried any of their other stuff?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
This new da Bomb stuff is just basically a super hot puree. Reminds me of the reaper puree bottle from Puckerbutt. I hesitate to even call it a sauce, honestly. Maybe we didn't shake it enough but there was no pour to it. Scrape it out with a toothpick and it's middle of the road. Hot but eh.

I'll give it another go tomorrow night.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

mischief posted:

That new sauce Poirier is backing from Heartbeat is a loving banger of a Louisiana style sauce. It's a little hab forward to my taste but it is a drat good sauce on chicken.

Quoting this for truth. This thing is delicious on wings and my wife immediately demanded another bottle. It's a better, spicier Crystal.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Memnaelar posted:

Quoting this for truth. This thing is delicious on wings and my wife immediately demanded another bottle. It's a better, spicier Crystal.

i guess this is it? sounds like extremely my poo poo.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I have a bottle of Last Dab with Pepper X that was thick like that. It was at least very delicious but it was a pain to use like glass ketchup bottles. It either came out in a big glob or not at all.

I got two sample size bottles of the current Last Dab in my order this week and it’s much more liquid and looks to be a great consistency.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Sauce thickness and pourability is incredibly important and it's infuriating that literally every single sauce I love the flavor of has a bottle designed by a sadist. Nothing pours appropriately. I have accidentally dumped half a bottle of two different Bravado sauces and I think the poo poo bottle is baked into the profit margin.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
All hot sauce should be in the Heartbeat style bottles, don't care how thick.

I can at least use it and not cuss a blue streak when half of it pours out on one wing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mischief posted:

All hot sauce should be in the Heartbeat style bottles, don't care how thick.

I can at least use it and not cuss a blue streak when half of it pours out on one wing.

I don’t like the feel of the Hearbeat bottles but the pour is so good. The nozzle gets clogged sometimes but it’s not like the neck of glass bottles never clogs, and cleaning out the nozzle is way easier.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

mischief posted:

This new da Bomb stuff is just basically a super hot puree. Reminds me of the reaper puree bottle from Puckerbutt. I hesitate to even call it a sauce, honestly. Maybe we didn't shake it enough but there was no pour to it. Scrape it out with a toothpick and it's middle of the road. Hot but eh.

I'll give it another go tomorrow night.

yeah it was the most unpleasant of the batch I got. I'm probably going to let it sit for a while to see if it improves and if it doesn't put a warning label on it and drop it off in the breakroom.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

fizzymercy posted:

Sauce thickness and pourability is incredibly important and it's infuriating that literally every single sauce I love the flavor of has a bottle designed by a sadist. Nothing pours appropriately. I have accidentally dumped half a bottle of two different Bravado sauces and I think the poo poo bottle is baked into the profit margin.

haha, sort of glad i'm not the only one. i was expecting it to have a plastic dasher cap on it and it did not. half the bottle went into that bowl of beans.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

since I never really went through the list what I got myself for christmas was

the classic fresno chili garlic which is absolutely amazing just an excellent all around sauce I'm using all the time now.

garlic reaper was also fantastic the way they managed to temper most of the bitterness from the reaper but still have it kick your rear end.

da bomb evolution was just unpleasant. all bitter and smoke which surprised me because I was expecting more of a fruity scorpion take.

sauce bae was delicious with just a hint of kick. I wasn't expecting to like this one so much I just got it for the novelty but probably will get it again.

hippy dippy I haven't tried yet. got it for my wife since she liked it from firehouse subs.

I also got a bottle of secret aardvark finally and I see why it's so well regarded it's an ideal habanero sauce and I need to make tacos.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

the paradigm shift posted:

sauce bae was delicious with just a hint of kick. I wasn't expecting to like this one so much I just got it for the novelty but probably will get it again.

My bottle lasted a week. It’s stupid how tasty that sauce is. It’s not very hot but drat does it go with everything.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Angry Goat's Goat Rider is so so good you guys... I'm almost out of the bottle I got a couple weeks ago, and I put it on almost everything. It's like a super hot BBQ sauce, but thinner like a hot sauce. It's so good.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I got a few torchbearer sauces with Christmas money and holy poo poo every single one of them have been incredible.

Just had the headless horseradish on a roast beef and cheddar sandwich for lunch. :discourse:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I got a few torchbearer sauces with Christmas money and holy poo poo every single one of them have been incredible.

Just had the headless horseradish on a roast beef and cheddar sandwich for lunch. :discourse:

Headless Horseradish is a top ten all time sauce, it’s just stupid how tasty it is.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Tobasco is good and I enjoy it regularly

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Crimson Reserve is great and it's also half off!

The regular had become the table sauce here and the reserve kicks up the heat with the addition of scorpion peppers

https://bravadospice.com/products/crimson-special-reserve-hot-sauce

We've been in a bit of a bravado tear recently, margarita mix included.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I really wish they had those jalapeno jelly beans available separately. I could eat a bag of those. Think my least favorite has been cayenne.

Finally got around to opening up the Cholula Sweet Habanero and I'm surprised to find I like it. I'm not really a huge fan of habs flavor wise. I guess the fruit flavor in this is pineapple and its really tasty. It's a bit thicker than the rest of their sauces and takes some extra time to pour but it clings nicely to whatever you out it on. In this case chili/lime chicharrones.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Opened the bottle of Karma Sauce's Burn After Eating and it tastes great, but I was expecting it to be hotter I guess?

I made a scotch bonnet with a single Caribbean red pepper sauce with plenty of garlic and onion (cider vinegar based) last week and it's really delicious. I've been using it on everything and it's going to be sad when it's gone.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jhet posted:

Opened the bottle of Karma Sauce's Burn After Eating and it tastes great, but I was expecting it to be hotter I guess?

It’s decently hot and tastes good enough to pile on but like the Wiltshire scorpion chili sauce it has a disproportionate effect on my insides. It’s a bummer because it’s a really tasty sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Horseshoe has a cayenne pepper one that they’d probably dig.

E:I don’t think Horseshoe has come up in here, they make some good stuff. I only know about them because they make it right near where I used to live.

https://www.horseshoebrand.com

The ghost pepper one is excellent

I just grabbed the Horseshoe serrano peach a month ago with no other reason than "spicy sweet is good let's try it"

It is rated 2/6 heat level on their label, but it is hotter than I expected.

With a 1-3 rating of spicy on most bottles, 1 is like "mild buffalo wings" 2 is like "hot brand name salsa" and 3 is "habanero or scotch bonnet based sauce" and then superhots show the little thermometer popping and spicy hot levels going off the chart. So I figured it would be maybe a little hotter than generic mild buffalo wings.

It is decently hot, much more so than the label lead me to believe. It matches closely to the actual scoville rating of serranos. But at the same time it has a nice sweet peachy fruit flavor. Fuckin' amazing on pizza slices.

I also recently got but haven't tried yet: Big Lots store brand (Fresh Finds) hot sauces, they had a bhut jolokia and carolina reaper version, and both list straight up pepper mash as one of the top ingredients with no capsaicin extracts so I am expecting something I can barely handle but also doesn't taste like chemicals. Will let the thread know when I crack them open.

Habanero is usually as hot as I will go, but I've been working through a "ghost pepper mash" hot sauce for like half a year and it's almost empty now. Really good to put just a drop into something like a bowl of chili or chicken soup.