Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bewbies posted:

do you ever watch a thing, and afterwards, wonder what the gently caress was that i just watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7F5tef1ACE

is one of those things

I'm the Tiger that squeals like a stuck pig before blowing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

steinrokkan posted:

I'm the Tiger that squeals like a stuck pig before blowing up

That's a Panther.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Hello, I’m looking for recommendations for video series/podcasts/audiobooks about any colonial conflicts/battles of the 19th century. The more specific and obscure the better. It needs to not require reading because I want to put it on while I’m working on stuff and won’t be able to look at it frequently.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Sounds like somebody wants the revolutions podcast, especially the Haiti/Bolivar/Mexico ones.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, seconding Revolutions.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah, I've listened to Revolutions, Dan Carlin, & History on Fire. I was hoping there was some up-and-comer or lesser-known podcast/video series/or audiobook out there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fangz posted:

That's a Panther.

I apologize, in that case the blood curdling death scream of the tank is accurate.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

bewbies posted:

do you ever watch a thing, and afterwards, wonder what the gently caress was that i just watched

is one of those things

Set this to music and it'd be "Fifty Ways to Kill Your Tanker"

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I like the T-34 v. Panther duel on the same bridge where Harry Potter defeated Voldemort.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cessna posted:

I like the T-34 v. Panther duel on the same bridge where Harry Potter defeated Voldemort.

The tank hidden in the building was a nice touch. Also I am fairly sure that hiding a tank in a pile of hay results in a tank covered in rapidly burning hay. Hay will burn if you look at it funny.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Class Warcraft posted:

Yeah, I've listened to Revolutions, Dan Carlin, & History on Fire. I was hoping there was some up-and-comer or lesser-known podcast/video series/or audiobook out there.

Some episodes of Behind the Bastards go into that kind of stuff, and it's generally just good. I got into it from a recommendation in the last thread and love it, so thanks to whoever did that.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Xiahou Dun posted:

Some episodes of Behind the Bastards go into that kind of stuff, and it's generally just good. I got into it from a recommendation in the last thread and love it, so thanks to whoever did that.

Plus Robert Evans is a goon.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

bewbies posted:

is one of those things

This feels like what a live action adaption of Girls Und Panzer would look like.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

metachronos posted:

Plus Robert Evans is a goon.

I didn’t know this but I completely believe it. +1 vote from me for Behind the Bastards/Insurrections/Police.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

is one of those things

T-34 was basically World of Tanks: The Movie. I still haven't seen it, maybe I can do a video series on awful Russian war movies.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ensign Expendable posted:

T-34 was basically World of Tanks: The Movie. I still haven't seen it, maybe I can do a video series on awful Russian war movies.

Move to my city so we can watch every WW2 movie.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm looking to read about the Soviet tank design process pre-WW2. Can anyone recommend a good book?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yooper posted:

I'm looking to read about the Soviet tank design process pre-WW2. Can anyone recommend a good book?

That Ensign Expendable guy has a good book that covers it a little/bit

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That Ensign Expendable guy has a good book that covers it a little/bit

Excellent! I'm gonna give him some money.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cessna posted:

Wait is that a real bridge? That one in particular stood out to me as looking overwhelmingly like a videogame render in the wide shots.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I didn’t know this but I completely believe it. +1 vote from me for Behind the Bastards/Insurrections/Police.

It's legit. He posts in the Machetes! thread in RGD.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

What if Sniper Elite...but bigger :ussr:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Do it, I love comically bad and weird war movies.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Only if you acknowledge that Brestskaya Krepost is bad but also good.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

If you want to you could also skip ahead to the history of the 20th century podcast which also goes into an ok level of detail into the early conflicts of the 20th century.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

metachronos posted:

It's legit. He posts in the Machetes! thread in RGD.

Wait how did I not know there was a machete thread? My god. Thank you.

Edit : O it's about the show. That's still cool but I was hoping for a thread about machetes. Very disappointed.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 22, 2021

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Yooper posted:

In English? That's a pretty tough one. It's not a particularly popular topic even with Russian historians, and precious little has been translated. What era/vehicle are you looking for specifically?

My book covers the T-34, following how the lessons of the Spanish Civil War led to the transformation of the BT-7 into the A-20 and later the T-34, but the story of how it got there in the first place is pretty sparse. This of course is only a small subset of tank development that was happening at the time.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait how did I not know there was a machete thread? My god. Thank you.

Edit : O it's about the show. That's still cool but I was hoping for a thread about machetes. Very disappointed.

There is the knife thread in tfr, though that's mostly pocket knives.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

In English? That's a pretty tough one. It's not a particularly popular topic even with Russian historians, and precious little has been translated. What era/vehicle are you looking for specifically?

My book covers the T-34, following how the lessons of the Spanish Civil War led to the transformation of the BT-7 into the A-20 and later the T-34, but the story of how it got there in the first place is pretty sparse. This of course is only a small subset of tank development that was happening at the time.

Mostly looking for the design process. How did they go from "Hey, we need a tank!" in the early 20's and end up with successful tanks like the T-34 and total weirdo stuff like the T-35. Did Stalin drive the design process? Was it design by committee? Did the factories themselves design them, or was it a design bureau?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Yooper posted:

Mostly looking for the design process. How did they go from "Hey, we need a tank!" in the early 20's and end up with successful tanks like the T-34 and total weirdo stuff like the T-35. Did Stalin drive the design process? Was it design by committee? Did the factories themselves design them, or was it a design bureau?

Morozov Design Bureau designed a lot of famous Soviet tanks like the BT series, T-34 and T-54.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Just post!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Yooper posted:

There was a number of design bureaus. The first design group was set up way back in the 1920s, by the mid 1930s pretty much any factory building tanks had their own design bureau on hand. Stalin wasn't involved in anything directly except at the very highest level meetings where general requirements were set.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tulip posted:

The PRC is extremely paranoid about geographic data, to the extent that official maps of the PRC are straightforwardly wrong, and possessing maps or other geographic data without the right approvals carries hefty fines (that are actually pursued). Restricting civilian flight lanes feels like a reasonable extension/enforcement of that law (regardless of how you feel about the law itself).

This isn't something particularly secretive, there's even a nice little wikipedia page about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrictions_on_geographic_data_in_China

WTF, why? It's not like anybody who's an actual threat to the nation of China can't get that info anyway.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The 101st Airborne is a weird example of this, since their screaming eagle symbol dates back to units in the civil war, but the rest of the unit does not:

quote:

The 101st Division headquarters was organized 2 November 1918 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi, having been constituted on 23 July in the National Army. World War I ended 9 days later, and was demobilized on 11 December 1918.[6]

In 1921, the division headquarters was reconstituted in the Organized Reserves, and organized on 10 September 1921, at Milwaukee, Wisconsin.[6] It was at this time that the "Screaming Eagle" became associated with the division, as a successor to the traditions of the Wisconsin volunteer regiments of the American Civil War.[7] (See also: Old Abe)

As part of the reorganization of the 101st as an airborne division in the Army of the United States, the reserve division was disbanded on 15 August 1942.[6]

It was reconstituted as an airborne division the next day.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This sounds great, just post

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

There was a number of design bureaus. The first design group was set up way back in the 1920s, by the mid 1930s pretty much any factory building tanks had their own design bureau on hand. Stalin wasn't involved in anything directly except at the very highest level meetings where general requirements were set.

Is there anything (in English) about the Design Bureaus themselves? Even how the factories functioned would be really interesting.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Yooper posted:

Is there anything (in English) about the Design Bureaus themselves? Even how the factories functioned would be really interesting.

There are some articles on the MS-1 that I haven't gotten around to translating yet that go over the work of the early design bureaus. I have a few articles that shed some light on the design process already up. These are both failed designs but they had a lot of promise and some big names were involved with them.

https://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2019/09/the-golden-standard.html
https://www.tankarchives.ca/2020/07/dead-end-on-wheels.html

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nebakenezzer posted:

WTF, why? It's not like anybody who's an actual threat to the nation of China can't get that info anyway.
Making it illegal to even try get it is enough to stop most people getting ideas.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

There are some articles on the MS-1 that I haven't gotten around to translating yet that go over the work of the early design bureaus. I have a few articles that shed some light on the design process already up. These are both failed designs but they had a lot of promise and some big names were involved with them.

https://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2019/09/the-golden-standard.html
https://www.tankarchives.ca/2020/07/dead-end-on-wheels.html

Awesome, thanks dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Some of it is for military stuff, and some of it is to make life hard for journalists, and some of it is hide things they'd rather not have people discussing internally. For instance, internment camps for Uighurs and other Muslims are all covered under this policy. If you try to pull up their locations in Baidu, you get blank tile squares. The value of this is if the PRC is saying that these camps are vocational training centers, and the tile square doesn't conflict with that. Where as if you can see the overhead satellite view, you see things like a concrete wall enclosing the facility. Along with guard towers, and a heavily fortified gate. But by making access to that info harder, it makes it easier to sell the lie internally.