Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Stuck again. What do you do once you need (thousands of) yellow science and your planet has no titanium deposits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Go to another planet. You'll have to shuttle titanium back and forth yourself until you unlock interstellar transport.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Just a quick note for anyone who hasn't realized yet, the labs don't just make the research cubes, they also use the research cubes. You don't have to be the only thing researching.

I didn't realize this until well into red science cubes :negative:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
DSP question: Power lines, how to you make/use them?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Slap the transmission lines together in your pocket them plop'm down where you want. When you unlock the bigger ones, you can use them to recharge your mech core and the go further distances, but have a smaller supply radious. I like to cluster three of the big ones together to fill my mech core faster.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mayveena posted:

DSP question: Power lines, how to you make/use them?

I can't remember what they're called but they're in there with the wind generator, you just place them down and they have a max range to connect to the other one. You should see a line connecting the two when you're in range.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

This is what I see

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mayveena posted:

This is what I see

Your F1 tower is the power transmission line.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mayveena posted:

This is what I see

The tower at the top of the picture is the power line, it looks like it's too far away from your generator. Hit F1 and build a tower between your existing power line and the wind generator.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The ray receiver gets a bonus the longer it is in continual LOS to your dyson swarm so placing it on a pole is a good idea :)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

while I dig factorio, the premise of lone man builds space rocket to leave was rather eh

now comes a game that says "wanna build a dyson sphere with a space mech" and something in my neurotransmitters went completely loving ballistic like HOLY poo poo HELL YEAH THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT RIGHT HERE OH YEAH

next step: workers and resources upscaled like that, space gravel mining omg

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks all, got it!!! Will be asking more questions I'm sure down the line :)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dyson Sphere Program solves the problem that I had with Factorio and Satisfactory which is my habitual need to tear down my factory and make it more efficient. Since the play area is the entire chunk of the galaxy I don't find myself caring nearly as much that my first planet is a loving mess as I rushed towards logistics drones.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

dead gay comedy forums posted:

while I dig factorio, the premise of lone man builds space rocket to leave was rather eh

now comes a game that says "wanna build a dyson sphere with a space mech" and something in my neurotransmitters went completely loving ballistic like HOLY poo poo HELL YEAH THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT RIGHT HERE OH YEAH

next step: workers and resources upscaled like that, space gravel mining omg

Pylons posted:

Dyson Sphere Program solves the problem that I had with Factorio and Satisfactory which is my habitual need to tear down my factory and make it more efficient. Since the play area is the entire chunk of the galaxy I don't find myself caring nearly as much that my first planet is a loving mess as I rushed towards logistics drones.

Both of these posts perfectly encapsulate why I think I can stick with this game versus really not liking Factorio much, it definitely has just enough slight differences in the right way for me.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ironically, after getting to automate red science in DSP, I kinda want to buy Factorio again and give it another shot.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm at the part where I've researched every blue/red thing possible and without Titanium, I'm stuck. The closest planet to me is rich in Silica but zero Titanium, and the furthest planet has all the Titanium, which means...Now I get to go into Spaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

Thinking I should prebuild a bunch of miners/smelters/assemblers for the trip, huh? And fill the rest of my slots with fuel.

*Queues up Rocketman*

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Volmarias posted:

Just a quick note for anyone who hasn't realized yet, the labs don't just make the research cubes, they also use the research cubes. You don't have to be the only thing researching.

I didn't realize this until well into red science cubes :negative:

Wait how do you do this? I’ve been shuffling the cubes into my inventory every time.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm at the part where I've researched every blue/red thing possible and without Titanium, I'm stuck. The closest planet to me is rich in Silica but zero Titanium, and the furthest planet has all the Titanium, which means...Now I get to go into Spaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

Thinking I should prebuild a bunch of miners/smelters/assemblers for the trip, huh? And fill the rest of my slots with fuel.

*Queues up Rocketman*

Prebuild stuff including wind and solar gens. When you launch into soace, Shift increases your speed at the expense of core energy until you reach 1000. Right now there's no penalty for smacking into a planet at top speed, that may change.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

tildes posted:

Wait how do you do this? I’ve been shuffling the cubes into my inventory every time.

There's a big arrow on the UI for the research lab that changes modes from "makes blue cubes" to "consumes blue cubes". The icon changes from a blue cube to a lightbulb or something.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

DSP sounds pretty rad. I just started getting into Satisfactory in December and it got me interested in checking out Factorio, but this sounds like a fun one to pick up instead.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Postman posted:

DSP sounds pretty rad. I just started getting into Satisfactory in December and it got me interested in checking out Factorio, but this sounds like a fun one to pick up instead.

Welcome to the zeitgeist, it's exciting here and I don't have a cheer sheet for conveyer belt capacity.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Fhqwhgads posted:

*Queues up Rocketman*

This is exactly what I did, stocked up on a bunch of fuel, miners/smelters/assemblers and solar cells then flew to the rocky planet and tossed up a titanium mining and smelting operation. I'm about to take my 2nd trip to grab some more as I just ran out of the first batch making yellow science.

It's looking like Tron up in here:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Fhqwhgads posted:

*Queues up Rocketman*

Protip for going to space: once you get into orbit, just hold spacebar to ascend to 1000+ meters (doesn't really use fuel at all) and then use w to align to your destination, then shift to accelerate (within the limits of your energy storage, at least). It's a Very Good Idea to get all the mech core and generation upgrades you can, and then take a few extra stacks of graphite. Once you can get hydrogen cells, you should only need an extra stack or two, worst case.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I do have one wish for DSP which is lighting for my factories, frick me I can't see at all at night :mad:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I like to cluster three of the big ones together to fill my mech core faster.

:aaa:

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

DSP is a very pretty game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

toasterwarrior posted:

Ironically, after getting to automate red science in DSP, I kinda want to buy Factorio again and give it another shot.

speaking of ironically, i somewhat dislike dealing with pipes in factorio, they're not quite as effortless to work with as belts, since you can't run over them you want to do pipe-to-ground as much as possible and that makes it annoying

anyway, irony is, this game instead just doesn't have pipes at all, you ship fluids in nice little cubes on belts. except, pipes would work just fine in this game since a) you can jump and b) you can build above ground so pipes would be entirely fine lmao

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Loving DSP so far!

I'm at the point where a lot of other people are where i'm slowly running out of red/blue upgrades but I just want to polish absolutely everything off before I hit the interplanetary grind.

My main question is about the EM Rail Projector - I dunno how to get the danged thing powered because the usual methods of feeding it (shoving a wind turbine/power plant next to it) don't work. Am I missing something critically important here, or is it supposed to be more of a late-game tech and i'm failing because i'm getting ahead of myself?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Jossar posted:

Loving DSP so far!

I'm at the point where a lot of other people are where i'm slowly running out of red/blue upgrades but I just want to polish absolutely everything off before I hit the interplanetary grind.

My main question is about the EM Rail Projector - I dunno how to get the danged thing powered because the usual methods of feeding it (shoving a wind turbine/power plant next to it) don't work. Am I missing something critically important here, or is it supposed to be more of a late-game tech and i'm failing because i'm getting ahead of myself?

Use a power pole? 1, f1 is the hotkey.

I hit kind of a wall before yellow science be side I assumed it would be hard to go to other planets. Turns out that is very untrue, it's EASY! I literally had a 60MW dyson swarm and multiple collectors before I bothered to hold space.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Use a power pole? 1, f1 is the hotkey.

I hit kind of a wall before yellow science be side I assumed it would be hard to go to other planets. Turns out that is very untrue, it's EASY! I literally had a 60MW dyson swarm and multiple collectors before I bothered to hold space.

Yeah I filled my inventory up with Graphite before taking off myself only to discover that while breaking orbit isn't exactly cheap, actual spaceflight is basically free.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Truga posted:

speaking of ironically, i somewhat dislike dealing with pipes in factorio, they're not quite as effortless to work with as belts, since you can't run over them you want to do pipe-to-ground as much as possible and that makes it annoying

anyway, irony is, this game instead just doesn't have pipes at all, you ship fluids in nice little cubes on belts. except, pipes would work just fine in this game since a) you can jump and b) you can build above ground so pipes would be entirely fine lmao

I'm sure that fluids are in a placeholder state right now, because the thermal power plant has a glitched out pipe jutting out of it and I'm dead sure that nothing can connect to the liquid storage unit at all.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm sure that fluids are in a placeholder state right now, because the thermal power plant has a glitched out pipe jutting out of it and I'm dead sure that nothing can connect to the liquid storage unit at all.

Yeah as much as I like the lack of piping, I do understand the need for a different conveyance for liquids to not ruin ~my immersion~ and all that.

Also just discovered how easy space flight is and I've got mines on both other plants. Last hurdle for yellow science is figuring out how to make the crystals and finding a new spot for science because I built my first base with like no room to add a third color to the matrices or whatever.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

toasterwarrior posted:

Conveyers connect just fine to them. That's how I store my liquids.

Edit: Like my fuel reserves

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The "weird pipe" on the generator is probably to allow them to link together when pipes are finally implemented because it actually looks good when they're all in a line.

But yeah conveyors work just fine for the fluids and fluid tanks. I have had a couple glitches on belts fighting with them, but usually just cancelling and trying again fixes it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah, ok, thank you. Yeah I was trying to have them picked up by sorters and dropped into fuel tanks, lol

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah that got me too.

In the meantime I'm the dumbest motherfucker. Here I was, starting to clear-cut my starting planet's forests, grumbling about how this sucks and can't be automated and wondering why no one's bitched about automating the organic crystals.

Then I realized they can be made out of oil.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Just built a building that apparently requires more power than the total of the rest of my base. Good stopping point, I think.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Now that I've discovered I can pave everything, my goal is the pave 99% of the planet.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
I don't have a lot to add, except DSP is really good and definitely worth $18. It's similar enough to Factorio and Satisfactory that it scratches those itches, but it feels different enough that I don't feel like I'm playing a clone of either game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Now that I've discovered I can pave everything, my goal is the pave 99% of the planet.

What's that big round friend in the middle?