Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

im on the net me boys posted:

I think hayashi rice is a new favorite in my family. I’ve made it a few times and we never have leftovers.

That is awesome but also too bad, because it makes awesome sauce for omurice if you have leftovers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

hallo spacedog posted:

That is awesome but also too bad, because it makes awesome sauce for omurice if you have leftovers

Can’t be helped! I can also just buy some demi glace if I really want to

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I had the motivation to make takoyaki for lunch and I feel so good

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Is yellow squash good in curry? I’ve run out of carrots and thought I might try to substitute

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Probably, I think any starchy veggie friend works in there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kabocha is good in it so other squash are prob also good.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

im on the net me boys posted:

Is yellow squash good in curry? I’ve run out of carrots and thought I might try to substitute

There's two kinds of yellow squash, both would be good. Softer yellow summer squash usually looks like a yellow zucchini and would be good in a curry but you have to only cook it for a few minutes - probably sautee it with the onions before you add the curry roux. Overcook it and it'll either disintegrate or be really mushy.

Hard yellow winter squash is big and has a hard outside. That's awesome in curry but you have to treat it like a potato - either simmer it for a couple of minutes before you add the roux or roast it before you add it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

At my local supermarket.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That is, if anything, changing the game too much

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
In the last year my local grocery store sushi offerings changed from passable tuna and salmon nigiri and maki entirely to california rolls with weird gimmick toppings like the cheetos one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anybody who want's a new Chicken recipe owes it to themselves to try this Shoyu Chicken
https://www.justonecookbook.com/butter-shoyu-chicken/
It's become an absolute staple in my diet, and made me remember how much I love Braising as a technique. Every single Time I've made it it's been delicious, and cheap as hell. Easy to adjust the ratios too depending on how much saltiness or sweetness you want. It's a true no frills dish that's great to make in bulk for the whole week. Only advice I'll give is if you;re using skin on Thigh's I'd use less oil then it asks for otherwise you're gonna be mopping it up before the final step.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Butter shoyu is one of my favorites. I usually do it with squid and/or eringe mushrooms.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I gotta remember to try that, Hopefully I can find some quid around here. Lent's coming up and I desperately need some high protein fast friendly meals.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It's insanely easy, just dump it in some butter, sautee for a minute and a half, spray on some shoyu, toss and done. Frozen works fine as long as you defrost it completely.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

First attempt at takoyaki today, except I can’t find octopus to save my life so I substituted shrimp like a scrub.

Also substituted okonomiyaki sauce, though I’m not sure there’s a huge difference.

Tastewise it came out great. My biggest hurdle was my pan. It’s a $50 Amazon affair and I had an insanely hard time finding the edges of each divot to flip the balls. At first I overfilled everything and it was just a complete disaster so I disposed of that batch entirely. Second batch I filled just below the top, dropped in my ingredients and that went well enough, but any time I had to separate the batter from the divot next to it I had such a hard time. In the end it worked out well but definitely wish I’d bought a pan with all the holes in a row instead of circular.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That's awesome, I think I made takoyaki at home once years ago but it is kind of a whole project to do so I haven't done it since. You should take photos next time if you do it again!

Also I have never thought about doing it with shrimp but that sounds tasty either way.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was fully intending to do photos but I was so frustrated with my first garbage batch that I ended up being in a grumpy mood until I started monching down on the end result which ended up making the frustration worthwhile.

I think part of it was this was literally my first go at making them in my life and wasn’t expecting the pan problems so that just kind of threw everything for me. Now that I know what to expect I’ll totally do a nice effortpost with end results next time :)

The batter was really easy to make but I’m a big proponent of just using dashi powder and I never make it from scratch, which probably saves like 90% of the prep. I’d say it was probably literally two or three minutes of prep which puts it just over okonomiyaki as far as effort goes. Have a feeling these will become a staple now though.

Also I’ve been making a super simple udon soup lately. Dashi, mirin, sugar, salt, and soy. Green onion garnish, and maybe a shiitake if I can remember to pick them up at the store. Simple and filling. I was hoping to find some inari age but it’s really hard to locate here, even in our big international food shop. I can find chinese fried tofu but I’m pretty sure that’s not an equivalent.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Martytoof posted:

Also substituted okonomiyaki sauce, though I’m not sure there’s a huge difference.

Technically tonkatsu/okonomiyaki/takoyaki/yakisoba sauces are different, but they're all the same vibe so subbing with whatever one you got is fine. I'm sure you're offending somebody by doing that but whatever.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Shrimp takoyaki sound good anyway and probably miles easier in terms of prep.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

Technically tonkatsu/okonomiyaki/takoyaki/yakisoba sauces are different, but they're all the same vibe so subbing with whatever one you got is fine. I'm sure you're offending somebody by doing that but whatever.

Yeah especially between takoyaki and okonomiyaki the difference is absolutely minimal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Takoyaki is the one sauce my asian shop doesn’t stock so for now it’ll do. I will eventually figure out how to DIY all these sauces but I’m so accustomed to the taste of otafuku’s that I hope I haven’t prejudiced myself against whatever I make.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

Yeah especially between takoyaki and okonomiyaki the difference is absolutely minimal.

Yup. Tonkotsu is the most different and it's mainly due to the thiccness imo. Yakisoba I just make custom because I like it real vinegary.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a metric ton of udon from my last trip. Wondering how well that would do in yakisoba. Never actually tried anything but lo-mein style.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Yakiudon! It's delicious.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Martytoof posted:

I have a metric ton of udon from my last trip. Wondering how well that would do in yakisoba. Never actually tried anything but lo-mein style.

I started doing stuff like this a while back although I haven't been posting it. I'll just mix whatever leftovers are in the fridge with some kind of basic sauce, teriyaki, miso, kasuzuke or something. It's basically a 1:1 equivalent of the way you'd throw together pasta with random stuff and tomato or cream sauce. Works great.

Stringent posted:

I've been thinking about how as far as I know there isn't much in the way of soupless noodle dishes in Japan the way there is everywhere else, so I figured I'd try out a few things in that line. This is my first experiment, teriyaki udon and it came out p well. Did a couple chicken thighs in the pressure cooker with teriyaki and a bit of thin sliced onion, pulled the chicken and chopped it, reduced the sauce and stir fried in some snap peas and the udon. If any of you can think of anything along these lines I should try, or try it yourself that'd be cool. Thought I might like to try something based around yuzu kosho next.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I saw a cheap cake pop maker at aldi and bought it for 15€ on a whim because I was thinking "this should work for takoyaki maybe". I turned out that there is a whole lot of people on the web making takoyaki in cakepop makers.

So unless you want/already have a pan, a cakepop maker is a really good alternative.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can’t believe I’m asking this shameful question but..

What the heck is the secret to using all the kewpie in the bottle? Am I supposed to inflate the bottle after I squeeze it and store it upside down so it all settles on the bottom or what? Seems kind of weird that I’d be blowing up a condiment bottle like a balloon after each use.

Otherwise I’m always left with a ton in a wrinkled crumpled up bottle.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hold it by the base and flap it back and forth vigorously to shake it down!
This is why it’s made of such soft plastic

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
after learning that style of shaking from kewpie bottles, i've found it works well on most standard squeeze bottles of mustard and ketchup. really good at getting rid of air pockets

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Personally I think the man belongs in prison for this, but I figure some of y'all might be into it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrrZLdpQ7R4

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
I'm not a fan of natto as the dominant taste in something, but I didn't get mad until he broke the spaghetti in three

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Yeah I would try it but am more neutral on natto also. On the other hand... Tarako pasta is extremely my jam.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hallo spacedog posted:

Yeah I would try it but am more neutral on natto also. On the other hand... Tarako pasta is extremely my jam.

I'm finally coming around on tarako. Had a great tarako cream spaghetti the other day.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Does anyone outside of Japan actually enjoy naporitan? I've tried it both home made and at a restaurant and it's less tasty than the most mediocre of Italian chain restaurant dishes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've had an okay version but yeah, I think it's one of those regional things you have to have grown up with to enjoy.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I'll eat it if someone makes it for me, but I wouldn't order it.

e: how drunk am I at Saizeriya, in this scenario?

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 23, 2021

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Mentaiko / Tarako pasta is the one true wafu pasta dish imo.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Mongoose posted:

Mentaiko / Tarako pasta is the one true wafu pasta dish imo.

I can also do umeshiso depending on my mood but generally agree that tarako pasta is the best option by a lot.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I made some nikujaga following JustOneCookbook's recipe, and it turned out pretty good, although I feel like it came out rather sweet, and that's even after I used a teaspoon of sugar instead of the recommended tablespoon. I've never had the dish made in an authentic way to compare it to. Will make it again though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It's generally going to be pretty sweet. Most nimono definitely are compared to something like western stew.
Embrace the sugar.