Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

McCracAttack posted:

Has the PS5 stock situation changed at all? Or are people still just following Wario64 on Twitter and hoping they manage to snag one from the scalper bots? Sorry if this gets asked a lot.

I managed to get one from Best Buy this week using NowInStock (https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/sonyps5/). The in stock notification popped up, I went to Best Buy's site, clicked add to cart, and it worked. I had been randomly refreshing all the major retailers daily until I used that method, YMMV of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

fknlo posted:

My ps5 is not the digital only version. I assume they still sell physical copies of the games, is there any reason to buy those or is most game data still getting downloaded to the hard drive?

sales

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

fknlo posted:

My ps5 is not the digital only version. I assume they still sell physical copies of the games, is there any reason to buy those or is most game data still getting downloaded to the hard drive?

If you have a data cap, even if lots of data is still downloaded from the internet that’s still a significant chunk that isn’t counting against you, especially since the internal storage is so small you’ll be deleting and reinstalling over time, so every GB saved counts.

Installing the data off the disc will be faster than a download

Disc games can save a lot of money from sales and buying used, and when a game is de-listed from PSN you’ll still be able to buy the disc version.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Depends on the game.

Cyberpunk is on 2 discs because it's 110gb.

Doom is a 40gb disc that then gets overhauled by a 60gb download.

None of them do that PC bullshit where it's a 1mb software key

You can play all of them out of the box without an internet connection.

And unless you're on gig fiber a disc is going to install way faster than some horseshit like Time Warner/Comcast. Like if you live in Philly your launch day purchase of Red Dead 2 is almost done downloading.

Games requiring beefy patches aren't actually all that common, most games are complete or close to it on disc and don't require much patch-wise (like a couple gigs or less). The disc does give you a physical token the game works with, which can be useful for resale, lending, managing certain households with weird console situations (e.g. multiple consoles AND multiple users).

McCracAttack posted:

Has the PS5 stock situation changed at all? Or are people still just following Wario64 on Twitter and hoping they manage to snag one from the scalper bots? Sorry if this gets asked a lot.

They still sell out instantly but there were quite a few drops this week. We might be on the cusp of things getting easier, I have a hunch most people who make a serious effort at least in the US or Canada should be able to get one within the next 3ish weeks. For a comparison, a recent Xbox Series drop in Canada took several hours to sell through of their Series X allotment, and we're currently on Day 4 of the Series S still being purchaseable (it never sold out). There's definitely far greater demand for the PS5 but I could still see things improving with it with another stack of drops.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
PS5s are also PS4s so the fact that I have a sizeable PS4 collection and would like to continue to have access to the large number of cheap used PS4 games out there means the disc version was the only choice for me even though I'll probably never buy a physical PS5 game.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sneeing Emu posted:

I managed to get one from Best Buy this week using NowInStock (https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/sonyps5/). The in stock notification popped up, I went to Best Buy's site, clicked add to cart, and it worked. I had been randomly refreshing all the major retailers daily until I used that method, YMMV of course.

Thing just beeps at me constantly that they're in stock and Best Buy but when I click through they're always sold out. Not a fan so far.

But still, thanks for pointing it out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I spend way too much time and money geeking out over wireless headsets, when I could just get wired with better sound, for a fraction of the cost.

Anyway, what y’all using?

Was considering the Arctis 7p. I like that it it’s intended for use with multiple consoles, and has a USB-C dongle for the switch

Wasn’t a big fan of the pulse elites at all. Super ugly, and not comfortable.

Ended up ordering an open box Audeze Penrose to try. Anyone have them? How do you like them? They have planar magnetic internals—not sure if they’re the first gaming headset to do that

I still have my Lucidsound LS41s, which are eh. I do love the intuitive controls, though, and volume/mic knobs on the side. You need a TV with optical pass through through via HDMI unfortunately (or an adapter to pull the signal for digital surround sound)

Sony is really pushing this virtual 3D surround stuff, which seems a bit of a gimmick. At least most any headphones work with it?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've been using HyperX for years now. I recently got Cloud 2s and they work pretty great.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The hyperx cloud orbit s seems to be the best bang for the buck. It is wired, though

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I bought the Corsair Virtuoso headset and I talked about them here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=307#post511546337

They are mainly for PC though, but they can be wired USB or standard stereo as well. They are also all aluminum so no plastic to deal with which was the main draw for me and the mic is completely removable which was important as well. Also they do a higher bit rate at wired if you want better sound.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

I scored a PS5 from Target with local in-store pick-up on Wednesday morning thanks to a tweet from https://twitter.com/ps5stockalerts. I was on my phone at the time, tried five locations within the metro Detroit area before one of the orders would complete.

The next day, I saw a tweet from Wario64 that Amazon had them in stock and scored a second one for a friend.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 22, 2021

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

univbee posted:

Games requiring beefy patches aren't actually all that common, most games are complete or close to it on disc and don't require much patch-wise (like a couple gigs or less).
The other day I wanted my daughter to try the original Assassin's Creed 2 on the 360, after she finished Odyssey as her first AC game.

Popped the disc in, and it asked to download a 4 MB patch. I laughed.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

Thing just beeps at me constantly that they're in stock and Best Buy but when I click through they're always sold out. Not a fan so far.

But still, thanks for pointing it out.

I got mine today following @PS5StockUpdates

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I spend way too much time and money geeking out over wireless headsets, when I could just get wired with better sound, for a fraction of the cost.

Anyway, what y’all using?

Was considering the Arctis 7p. I like that it it’s intended for use with multiple consoles, and has a USB-C dongle for the switch

Wasn’t a big fan of the pulse elites at all. Super ugly, and not comfortable.

Ended up ordering an open box Audeze Penrose to try. Anyone have them? How do you like them? They have planar magnetic internals—not sure if they’re the first gaming headset to do that

I still have my Lucidsound LS41s, which are eh. I do love the intuitive controls, though, and volume/mic knobs on the side. You need a TV with optical pass through through via HDMI unfortunately (or an adapter to pull the signal for digital surround sound)

Sony is really pushing this virtual 3D surround stuff, which seems a bit of a gimmick. At least most any headphones work with it?

I've got the Arctis Pro for the PS4, so if the 7p is anything near it with sound and build quality they'll be great.

Only thing I'm sad about with my Pros is that I've gotta get an hdmi optical splitter to use them again now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m an annoying Bluepoint apologist but even I think something HUGE was lost in translation between the PS2 and PS4 Ratchet & Clank. The flow of the game is just off and I dropped it after the first planet or two.

Bluepoint...had nothing to do with those games... :shrug:

fridge corn posted:

Modssssssss!!!!!

Hit him where it hurts, goons!

Shammypants posted:

I've realized that I just end up spending a lot of time playing Rainbow, CoD, Rocket League, Warzone and other time consuming games, and slowly it doesn't even make sense to buy new games.

This is your problem, not that other stuff you said lol

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gutcruncher posted:

If you have a data cap, even if lots of data is still downloaded from the internet that’s still a significant chunk that isn’t counting against you, especially since the internal storage is so small you’ll be deleting and reinstalling over time, so every GB saved counts.

Installing the data off the disc will be faster than a download

Disc games can save a lot of money from sales and buying used, and when a game is de-listed from PSN you’ll still be able to buy the disc version.

Thanks for the replies. I do have unlimited gigabit internet but will definitely be grabbing some physical copies.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The drive is loving loud btw. I don't think it makes much noise besides the initial check, except that it'll spin up about once every hour, even if you're not playing a disc game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

The drive is loving loud btw. I don't think it makes much noise besides the initial check, except that it'll spin up about once every hour, even if you're not playing a disc game.

one incredible life hack to this is to not have a game in the drive while you are not playing a disc based game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Having to think about eventually swapping discs is pain enough

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

2021 and we haven’t figured out how to make a disk drive quieter

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

No, it just evidently wasn't a priority

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

some are totally silent its gotta be a manufacture issue or something

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The issue is still buying games on disc

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wrong!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

Yeah, it's crap and it needs to be patched fuckin yesterday

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Shammypants posted:

Sad to say but I think that's just what happens when you've lived for a while and played games for a while. They just.. aren't that attractive anymore. I still buy them up, but it confuses me that they are so awesome but I can't just get into them like I did once. They look better and play better than ever, let alone sound better than ever, but it just is what it is.

Yup this is me. 34, and once I stop a game for whatever reason, I probably won't finish it. Days gone is great but at halfway point I stopped, and that was 2 months ago. I really need to not take too long of a break from demons souls as I want to finish it, but it's so oppressive and gives me fatigue doing the same level 15 times.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Y’all just @ me next time you call me out like that drat

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm totally the opposite, I'm way more into games now than I was in my 20s. I used to not finish the few games I picked up (unless it was a new MGS game or something) but now I'm a total completionist and even kinda enjoy collectathons sometimes. I think it was when I finally started playing FROM games about 4-5 years ago, they really made me appreciate games in a new way. I remember everyone talking about Dark Souls when it came out and at that time the game sounded like something that was super not for me, but I later gave DS2 a try and suddenly got hooked back into the habit of gaming like I was 12 again. I think games that require focus help me decompress from a long day and take my mind off poo poo better than other forms of entertainment.

Yeah same i got into actually finishing games around 2010 when dark souls came out at the age of 27
Before that i just bought them and dabbled

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

henpod posted:

Yup this is me. 34, and once I stop a game for whatever reason, I probably won't finish it. Days gone is great but at halfway point I stopped, and that was 2 months ago. I really need to not take too long of a break from demons souls as I want to finish it, but it's so oppressive and gives me fatigue doing the same level 15 times.

I don't know about that one chief

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I don't know about that one chief

I think the best description I've read of Days Gone is that's the best mediocre game ever made.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Volte posted:

PS5s are also PS4s so the fact that I have a sizeable PS4 collection and would like to continue to have access to the large number of cheap used PS4 games out there means the disc version was the only choice for me even though I'll probably never buy a physical PS5 game.

Counterpoint: Best Buy has games for $9.99 that the PSN store charges $59.99 for, so ultra-motherfuck digital purchases right in their clown butts.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I was considering Far Cry 5 just for the co-op and loving shocked that it's still 60 on PSN. loving shocked.

Gonna try Best Buy tomorrow and get it for like 25 probably.

Also, the account sharing / sharing a game for co-op with only 1 copy doesn't work between a ps4 and a ps5, does it? Doesn't work with physical discs anyway, for that matter?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Digital prices almost never go down permanently unless they're part of a greatest hits line or something

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Digital prices almost never go down permanently unless they're part of a greatest hits line or something

Yeah but there’s a sale every 2 weeks. You can game on a budget digitally quite easily as long as the console doesn’t say “NINTENDO”

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Counterpoint: Best Buy has games for $9.99 that the PSN store charges $59.99 for, so ultra-motherfuck digital purchases right in their clown butts.
Well yeah, if I end up finding a physical PS5 game for super cheap I'll certainly buy it, but I mean a full priced PS5 game on launch day is probably going to be a digital buy.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Volte posted:

Well yeah, if I end up finding a physical PS5 game for super cheap I'll certainly buy it, but I mean a full priced PS5 game on launch day is probably going to be a digital buy.

In North America this can work (if you're committed to not reselling the game or letting other people play it on consoles other than your main one), but in the rest of the world, retail prices undercut MSRP (sometimes by up to 30%) while the digital version will be full price.

Stores will also drop prices aggressively on disc versions and it tends to be rarer for PSN or other digital stores to drop prices at even the same pace, let alone a faster pace.

- Purchased Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 on disc for $35CAD a month ago, it's still $53.49 on PSN and has never been on sale.
- Cyberpunk 2077 is 50% off right now on disc. On top of not being on PSN at all currently, it hasn't been digitally discounted on any digital stores that still carry it. I also got the disc version for $50 CAD at launch due to E3 pre-order promotions they do in Canada.
- I bought Sekiro for $50CAD back in June of 2019, it has never dropped that low on PSN ever, and didn't come close until like 5-6 months later.

univbee fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 23, 2021

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I really miss Amazon’s 20% off all disc-based game preorders.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Gutcruncher posted:

I really miss Amazon’s 20% off all disc-based game preorders.

It used to be even better. You could get 20% off games, which was good. But also you could get a $1 credit (sometimes 2) for doing a slow delivery to your house on your orders. Then you could buy Nintendo or PS5 gift cards with them, which you can't do anymore. Then you could use their occasional buy 2 get 1 free promotions and I would get like 5 games for the price of 1 or maybe 1.5 games.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
When I was a kid I almost certainly was borderline add. I never finished games, couldn't follow stories, constantly jumped between them and found the whole thing more frustrating than anything. Games never scratched the itch or left me feeling satisfied.
I remember distinctly one school holiday being bored to the point of frustration and begging my mum to sell me the copy of ff10 that she was keeping for my birthday a few weeks later, I went and got money that had taken me months to save up (I was on a fiver a week pocket money) and would let up. Was bored of it 2 days later. Its a really uncomfortable thing to remember. I was so frustrated by everything as a child.

These days at 35 and working 50+ hours a week, I get a solid hours video game time every evening (sometimes longer at the weekends) and pretty much commit to one or two games at a time until I'm done. I've finished more games in the past year than I did in 10+ years of the ps1-ps2 gen. Right now I'm juggling ace combat 5 and kentucky route zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Lol if you haven’t already played every decent ps4 game just lol