Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't know if I dreamed it or not, but around 2005ish I could swear that "Who Wants To Be Paris Hilton's Friend" was a reality show.

Apparently it actually was a show that went for two seasons (two too many): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1292967/. Imagine being such a sad person that you would compete for the attention and "friendship" of someone as vapid as Paris Hilton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

BrigadierSensible posted:

If we are still whinging on 'Reality TV', can I put forward The Amazing Race.

A bunch of drat near stereotypical "ugly Americans" supposedly running a race around the planet, but was instead was a film crew following stupid people screaming at taxi drivers, and ignoring anything cool about the awesome exotic places they are getting to visit for free whilst bickering amongst each other.

Seriously, maybe this is a personal petty bugbear, but it really shat me the way that they were in some of the coolest places in the world, yet all they did was run from airport to taxi and getting increasingly frustrated that a villager in Guatemala doesn't understand English well enough to give them detailed directions to the next checkpoint. Completely missing out on every single thing that makes travel cool.

There was also an Australian series I remember that had a chubby avuncular muslim bloke and his brother who always came last because they would have to pray at set times during the day, and thus would be quickly and easily overtaken by the other contestants. (Surprisingly enough for Australia "land of casual racism", these two blokes became beloved of the general public.)

To be fair to the Amazing Race contestants, they were literally in the middle of a race. Don't exactly have the luxury of taking in the sights and sounds when you have to go fast for a prize (which was often some travel package they could actually take their time to enjoy)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, being confused why people are racing through locations during a race is kinda silly.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
My favorite episode of Hell's Kitchen was when they had little kids on and seeing Gordon do a complete 180 of his usual persona.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

My favorite episode of Hell's Kitchen was when they had little kids on and seeing Gordon do a complete 180 of his usual persona.

Isn't that Ramsay's usual persona, and the angry swearing British chef is a thing amplified for his Fox shows?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Imagine being such a sad person that you would compete for the attention and "friendship" of someone as vapid as Paris Hilton.

I'm pretty sure Paris Hilton is way the gently caress more self-aware than she acts on most of her shows, with all the fantastically self-deprecating stuff she's done like REPO: The Genetic Opera, that episode of Supernatural, and her Youtube cooking channel.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Zaroff posted:

Isn't that Ramsay's usual persona, and the angry swearing British chef is a thing amplified for his Fox shows?

Is it? I only ever watched the Fox shows. Wouldn't surprise me if they played it up, though.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Rockman Reserve posted:

I'm pretty sure Paris Hilton is way the gently caress more self-aware than she acts on most of her shows, with all the fantastically self-deprecating stuff she's done like REPO: The Genetic Opera, that episode of Supernatural, and her Youtube cooking channel.

I've heard that it's an act and that she's a lot smarter and less vapid than her persona.

e: On the subject of 2000s-era bad reality TV, I have to admit that I watched The Apprentice during the season that Omarosa was on there. I don't even know why; I've always despised reality TV.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Jan 22, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Is it? I only ever watched the Fox shows. Wouldn't surprise me if they played it up, though.

IIRC part of his persona is hugely played up but he’s also just genuinely less critical of children and amateurs. It’s the people who claim to be professionals that should know better in his view that really set him off.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Characters on TV are characters. The word you're looking for is parasocial.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

im a character no amount of reading my dumbass posting will ever let you know me but my character is pretty obvious I think it has to do with limericks

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Paris Hilton was shipped to one of those psychotically abusive camps for a year when she was a teenager and says she still has PTSD from what they did to her. Randomly drugged, kept in isolation for extended periods, and I think there was some sexual abuse as well. Her vapid rich girl persona comes in the immediate context of her getting out of there, so I think it's one of those things where if you dig into it, you're gonna hit some really unpleasant stuff.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
She had a little house made for her pig when he got too big to keep in her purse as opposed to getting rid of him

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

verbal enema posted:

She had a little house made for her pig when he got too big to keep in her purse as opposed to getting rid of him

Sounds like she cares about her pig and has the resources to do it. My cat sleeps eighteen hours a day in a cardboard box that the younger one can't get into.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

ReidRansom posted:

Which was ripped off from Downtown Gaki No Tsukai Ya Arahende, a Japanese show you might know from it's 24 hour batsu games done around new year. I wonder if they're still doing those. I know they were when I was there in winter 2016.

They are still doing them but its really stale at this point and most of them are too old to do any of the stuff that made the early episodes good.

https://www.teamgaki.com/ has subbed versions of them if you want to watch, this years will finish subbing sometime in april, probably

edit: ohh yeah, they also had 2 separate uses of Blackface in 2018 and 2016, i think

Pead has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Jan 22, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
“Paris Hilton was abused and still dealing with the trauma”

“Yes but she built a pig house”

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Treating the lives you love and care about with respect is a very very good thing.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I'm withholding judgment until I know if it's made of straw, sticks, or brick.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Casnorf posted:

Treating the lives you love and care about with respect is a very very good thing.

Remember when people made fun of Miley Cyrus when a coyote killed her dog?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

christmas boots posted:

I think the thing about the pig house was being posted as more points in her favor, but it's hard to tell as the post about it held no value judgements.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

rydiafan posted:

Remember when people made fun of Miley Cyrus when a coyote killed her dog?

I'm too ancient to know about stuff that happened. But I dunno dicks gonna dick.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zaroff posted:

On Master Chef he's one of the nice judges, the italian one is the designated rear end in a top hat.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

christmas boots posted:

Eh I'm not a huge Paris Hilton fan EAT THE loving RICH but I think the fact that she still loves her pig and gave it an appropriate environment to live in is something to give her credit for since most people and celebrities who bought in to the "Teacup Pig" trend abandoned them the first time they weighed more than 8 lbs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Then I have good news for you. There are seven episodes; 3 in India, 1 ea. in Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam, and Thailand. Stuff like this is how he got popular enough for Fox to start writing him the big checks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4g_6u9iSg0

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Paris Hilton is also a decent DJ. She’s not going to win any awards or anything, but she puts a lot of effort into it as a craft. As much as I also want to go EAT THE RICH on her, she has always seemed to have business savvy and the ability to work for what she wants to do, and I can respect that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cutthroat Kitchen was a fun show, and more often than not the "sabotages" didn't end up doing anything of real value compared to the chef just forgetting something obvious, like eggs or bread

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

PizzaProwler posted:

I think the thing about the pig house was being posted as more points in her favor, but it's hard to tell as the post about it held no value judgements.

It's possible that I misread the intent of the post, I'll admit.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The British version of Kitchen Nightmare's is much better. He's not always angry, and even when he is, it's still not played up nearly as much as the American version.

And a lot less of those stupid, cliched musical stings that have to accompany everything on American reality TV, like the,

"Something tense is happening violin note"
or the,
"Time passing with quick cuts "karate chopping" sound"

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Eclipse12 posted:

Face Off was great, especially early on, but you're right about them pushing too hard with it. There are only so many makeup artists to use as contestants so I feel after awhile the quality began to drop. That, and they tended to overuse challenges involving aliens, monsters, and "evil" versions of normal things. Make a sinister Hansel and Gretel! Next, make a spooky Cinderella! Take a candy and make it... a monster! Season after season, it eventually got stale. These types of makeups give the contestants lots to work with and look impressive, but I can only see so many "This is an alien from an aquatic world!" before I just don't care anymore.

One dude who left the show under what I'll refer to as "circumstances", made a movie called "Frankenfake" about his "experiences" on the show, it's a fascinating piece of work, that I've never been able to find online.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Paris Hilton is also a decent DJ. She’s not going to win any awards or anything, but she puts a lot of effort into it as a craft. As much as I also want to go EAT THE RICH on her, she has always seemed to have business savvy and the ability to work for what she wants to do, and I can respect that.

Paris Hilton is FAR from the worst spoiled/abused reality show celebrity scion of hotel moguls :chaostrump:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gordon will abuse anyone who is dishonest or lazy, but is really kind to kids and amateurs. His UK show will have him go play football/soccer with kitchen staff to get to know them, or help them out in small ways. The US shows cut all that and focus on him cracking down on staff. He expects a lot of staff as many chefs do.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It makes sense that he would behave differently toward a professional chef that stores meat in the cooler above produce than he would to an amateur whose previous culinary experience is "has seen a broccoli"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

well why not posted:

Gordon will abuse anyone who is dishonest or lazy

I think that's one of my favorite parts of Hell's Kitchen. At least once every single season, someone tries to outwit Gordon, and he sees right through it every loving time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think Ramsey would be fun to hang out with for a day or something. Just sit there chatting about sports and food and see how many times you can make him do his silly laugh. Just kinda seems like a good guy.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

There's a show on Disney+ (I guess it was a NatGeo show?) where Ramsay travels to a location to learn about a very local cuisine from the local expert(s), and it was pretty enjoyable. Ramsay absolutely deferred to the experts in the cuisine and even though it's posited as "Ramsay vs Local Expert" it wasn't ever a competition. If you've got some time between Marvel and Star Wars stuff you should check it out.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Paris Hilton went through some absolutely traumatic bullshit that I can’t even begin to imagine myself going through. She’s a far stronger person than I’ll ever be for surviving that nonsense.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna1240354

Humerus posted:

There's a show on Disney+ (I guess it was a NatGeo show?) where Ramsay travels to a location to learn about a very local cuisine from the local expert(s), and it was pretty enjoyable. Ramsay absolutely deferred to the experts in the cuisine and even though it's posited as "Ramsay vs Local Expert" it wasn't ever a competition. If you've got some time between Marvel and Star Wars stuff you should check it out.

This ended up being the first thing I watched on D+. It’s a drat good watch.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vandar posted:

Paris Hilton went through some absolutely traumatic bullshit that I can’t even begin to imagine myself going through. She’s a far stronger person than I’ll ever be for surviving that nonsense.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna1240354

Thanks for the link. Holy poo poo. Reading that has changed my opinion about Paris Hilton completely. I had never heard that she had gone through that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah. Holyfuck!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'd also like to add that the whole leak of her sex tape was a horrible sex crime, on top of the abuse she suffered. Amazing she made it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

The British version of Kitchen Nightmare's is much better. He's not always angry, and even when he is, it's still not played up nearly as much as the American version.

And a lot less of those stupid, cliched musical stings that have to accompany everything on American reality TV, like the,

"Something tense is happening violin note"
or the,
"Time passing with quick cuts "karate chopping" sound"

The major problem with American reality shows is all the padding. Everything needs 8 recaps and COMING UP segments and part of this is because of commercials but also they seem to assume the audience are really, really stupid.

I still don't get why the US Iron Chef needs to have someone explain how the scoring system works. It's a very short segment but it's also completely pointless.