Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

echinopsis posted:

guaranteed biden will personally drone strike more pregnant teenagers than any president before

don't worry, they're already talking about committing more troops to iraq because a bomb went off 2km from the embassy

hey, this is the year when kids who weren't even born when the us invaded iraq (thanks in no small part to biden pushing for it) can be sent over there to be shot or blown up :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

no, if you read you will see it says "drone striking weddings and putting kids in cages" (i expect biden will continue to do these things) is better than "drone striking weddings and putting kids in cages and getting trans people executed" (trump).

i'll take the poo poo sandwich with a pickle over the plain one, not a hard concept

Trans people will continue to be murdered because the previous administration stirred up hate against them and they’re offered no specific protection under the law, and will not be with this legislature going forward.

It won’t be state actors doing it, but I’ve seen people talk on social media about how Rachel Levine, our secretary of health, is an abomination who should be killed, and without special legal protections and hate crime legislation that open sentiment isn’t going away. The toothpaste is out of the tube.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if you want a break from worrying about how things may turn out very bad all you need to do is stop reading twitter and threads like this. logging on to ask people to please not post about how things may turn out bad is not good strategy.

foreign policy getting worse is real bad, but i don't feel very stressed out trying to sum it up with everything else that might happen to precisely place it on a badness spectrum.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SmokaDustbowl posted:

last time I voted it was for the tiny CPC ML party so yeah I'm going to go apeshit about being a leftist

Last time I voted was for a local store employee who I knew had a good head on her shoulders.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

echinopsis posted:

this same principle doesn’t seem to extend over to people who for example voted for trump because they’re conservatives vs people who are truly racist, because they all end up tarred with the same brush.

there are no people who voted for trump because they're conservatives. at least, not the second time around. trump was the least conservative president in modern republican history. i can't think of a single thing he did that i would describe as conservative. populist sure, nationalist definitely, crazy oh you better loving believe it, but not conservative. they voted for him because of racism or red team, that's it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Mail is still hosed, I get a USPS “informed delivery” email telling me what’s coming every day with envelope scans and they haven’t been correct for months now lol

yesterday i got a christmas card that was postmarked december 7 from someone who lives 5 minutes away from me

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
mail can be in one of three states:

1. usps has received the item
2. tracking status for about 2 weeks: it's in the system somewhere, no idea where, arriving later than expected
3. it's here

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

endlessmonotony posted:

Last time I voted was for a local store employee who I knew had a good head on her shoulders.

voting is a festival for the bougies so if I'm going to throw my vote away it's nice there's ML on the list

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The local chuds hate the idea of young women with ideas like "everyone deserves human rights" being in government and thus far voting for what the chuds hate has been both satisfying and very effective in getting better policies.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I voted and this thread is still open ergo my vote doesn't count.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

there are no people who voted for trump because they're conservatives. at least, not the second time around. trump was the least conservative president in modern republican history. i can't think of a single thing he did that i would describe as conservative. populist sure, nationalist definitely, crazy oh you better loving believe it, but not conservative. they voted for him because of racism or red team, that's it

american conservatives vote for red team regardless of anything else even if they don’t agree with anything the red team does

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

american conservatives vote for red team regardless of anything else even if they don’t agree with anything the red team does

The label “conservative” is meaningless in the US, you are correct.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The label “conservative” is meaningless in the US, you are correct.

wish I could always vote for this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df7jOd6HcIY

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SmokaDustbowl posted:

voting is a festival for the bougies so if I'm going to throw my vote away it's nice there's ML on the list

Finnish elections are proportional.

Currently the whole "please stop frying the planet and torturing the poor also public transport please" side is 32%, the "NO TOUCHING OUR HEALTHCARE" is 21% and "seriously can we not with the chuds like I'm fine with demonizing the poor but not siding with the chuds" is 5%.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Finnish elections are proportional.

Currently the whole "please stop frying the planet and torturing the poor also public transport please" side is 32%, the "NO TOUCHING OUR HEALTHCARE" is 21% and "seriously can we not with the chuds like I'm fine with demonizing the poor but not siding with the chuds" is 5%.

so i guess Heedraulic Press Party still maintains the plurality

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"Conservative" is a tribal identity thing, none of the policies or ideologies are actually strongly held by any of its adherents except as identifiers. It doesn't matter how tortured the reasoning, there is a set of things they have to agree with or else they will be socially ostracized from their peer group.

I was talking to a self professed conservative who was against abortion because of how much it cost. Like, totally on board with the idea that life doesn't begin until birth and that women have bodily autonomy, but "people are using it as birth control because they are lazy and it costs too much." Just an awful reason but would not back down at all because she had to be "pro-life" even though she clearly didn't have a good reason for it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sagebrush posted:

so i guess Heedraulic Press Party still maintains the plurality

Oh about half of everyone in politics talks like that and fucks around with power tools, it's like shooting guns and being racist in America.

But yeah we have a government that can agree on "healthcare for all" and "public transport is good". Which isn't much, but during COVID it's better than nothing. And way better than "gently caress the poor and/or browns" which is the other option.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The_Franz posted:

yesterday i got a christmas card that was postmarked december 7 from someone who lives 5 minutes away from me

i mailed my ballot via registered international mail from a developed country September 26, tracking showed it processed through New York on October 7, and then it bounced around showing various updates until october 16, still shows as in transit today

i mailed a second copy of my ballot with a signed letter explaining the first one was stuck in USPS hell via UPS express and it arrived in 48 hours

im 90% sure my ballot was never counted

im rly glad i left the us

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i literally don’t think anyone is ever going to be happy about politics in the US because there’s no deliberative body that can operate at the pace our society demands.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
but lol @ people complaining about senate rules and poo poo, go hang out with anarchists sometime and you’ll find some people that love meetings

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

kitten emergency posted:

but lol @ people complaining about senate rules and poo poo, go hang out with anarchists sometime and you’ll find some people that love meetings

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i mailed my ballot via registered international mail from a developed country September 26, tracking showed it processed through New York on October 7, and then it bounced around showing various updates until october 16, still shows as in transit today

i mailed a second copy of my ballot with a signed letter explaining the first one was stuck in USPS hell via UPS express and it arrived in 48 hours

im 90% sure my ballot was never counted

im rly glad i left the us

yeah a friend sent me a letter from maybe 100 miles away on tuesday, just a normal letter and it still hasn't arrived yet. during the obama years it'd usually arrive next day or the day after

for a long time i wanted to leave too, but i ended up in northern new england which has worked well for me. where did you escape to if you don't mind?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I was/am on the city traffic commission and we are halfway through a three year process for changing "no parking" hours on a busy street to one hour long around rush hour.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Stereotype posted:

"Conservative" is a tribal identity thing, none of the policies or ideologies are actually strongly held by any of its adherents except as identifiers. It doesn't matter how tortured the reasoning, there is a set of things they have to agree with or else they will be socially ostracized from their peer group.

well liberals can be like this too. but for the corpo-centrist democratic party, and even for some of the more serious progressives protesting on the streets or posting in c-spam, there is a huge body of intellectual thought they can refer to. even if you don't understand it, you can repeat whatever justification for your beliefs that a smarter person wrote, and then it is actually pretty tough to argue with unless you're an expert in the subject. and conservatives used to have this too, some of it is still around, but trump and his followers don't even pretend to be conservatives. what good is the hoover institute when your actual beliefs can be summarized as "TMMRURP"? what authorities do these people have to educate them, newsmax and oann? not even fox news anymore. some rando on parler making poo poo up? and there are TENS OF MILLIONS of these people

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Stereotype posted:

I was/am on the city traffic commission and we are halfway through a three year process for changing "no parking" hours on a busy street to one hour long around rush hour.

I assume the three year process started only after a 4 year study though?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
americans have no idea what the left actually is

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

tk posted:

I assume the three year process started only after a 4 year study though?

nah the study was a year and a half, which just finished, but now they have to do a bunch of other paperwork stuff and expected that the change might be completed midway through 2022.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Stereotype posted:

nah the study was a year and a half, which just finished, but now they have to do a bunch of other paperwork stuff and expected that the change might be completed midway through 2022.

we've been debating a new highway extension for nearly a half century. they're finally getting ready to move on it though!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

americans have no idea what the left actually is

in part because actual ground level leftists in america spend 100% of their time tearing each other apart instead of doing leftist poo poo

direct action is icky to them lmao

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

in part because actual ground level leftists in america spend 100% of their time tearing each other apart instead of doing leftist poo poo

direct action is icky to them lmao

you can't really blame them because every single time they try, they get literally murdered

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

the one single thing everybody should care about is that we're not going to have active, armed death squads roaming the streets, murdering protesters and threatening to take congress hostage, all at the direct instruction of the president of the united states

everybody knows i'm a doomer but we can at least breathe for one god drat second and enjoy that fact.

And shut the gently caress up if you wanna snap back at this with some :smuggo: but cops :smuggo: poo poo. You know what I am saying.

butt cops?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
friday night

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qn3ixpT8rU1uubu1f.mp4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what do you mean people shouldn’t have to work to live

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sounds like some commie bullshit to me

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
ride to live, live to ride.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

kitten emergency posted:

i literally don’t think anyone is ever going to be happy about politics in the US because there’s no deliberative body that can operate at the pace our society demands.

yeah the current system can not and will not ever work because it's designed to be too slow for modern anything. it's really bad. it could probably be fixed with some POWER AMENDMENT WOMBO COMBOS but lol at that ever happening again. we're firmly in managed decline, even if the biden admin does well, just think about how bad the next conservative govt will be, now that Fox News is framing any protests feat. BLM or leftists as "leftist insurrection".

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

i hate doomer posting but you've really got to be naive if you think the biden admin can FIX things, they're not even gonna try.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
yeah, they’re just walking it back to the lovely status quo. we’re still better off though than under trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

and in four to eight years this dumbass country will swing back to the republicans. repeat ad nauseam.